Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, Wouter said:

IIRC she was merely speculating based on the presence of body doubles (not necessarily stunt people - i'm not sure bsb ever made a clear distinction), and she was very slow to contradict Friki's version (even though his has no action in the dragonpit). Did she ever clearly say there would be fighting? And if so, didn't she backtrack to some extent after friki came with his version? Iirc we talked here about bsb suddenly denying she had implied violence, before. 

When Friki's version came out, she said, that she doesn't know for sure that it's wrong. But she implied, that she thinks so.

But if the Night King isn't defeated then, I have no idea, why they are all in such an unprotected place, where the undead dragon at the very least can get them every time.

Edited by BadAssRobinArryn
4 hours ago, Eyes High said:

One of the reasons I have speculated about Sansa ending up at Casterly Rock or at the Vale as Tyrion or Robin's/Harry's wife is that it would give GRRM an out to remove her from possible succession to Winterfell to clear the way for whomever he intended to get it while sparing Sansa's life.

Since when? You insisted anyone who suggested that Sansa could marry Robin didn't have clue.

Edited by SimoneS
7 hours ago, WindyNights said:

Anyways, Book Sansa is going North. It'll be at Winterfell where she takes down Littlefinger.

Could you speculate on how and when you think Sansa is going North with LF and presumably the Vale army? Remember that Winter has Come to the North in the books, Stannis is stuck in snow unable to move and his men are freezing to death and resorting to cannibalism. Only the mountain clans are able to move in that weather. The plans to take down the Boltons are already underfoot and Manderly has set them in motion at the end of the last book.

Also assuming that WF also falls in the books and everyone goes south, you think that Sansa/LF go to WF, Sansa kills LF in WF and then she goes back south again in the books?

5 hours ago, nikma said:

In the show the only person that makes sense as the ruler in the North is Sansa. If Jon is going to rule Westeros.

How did the show build up Sansa as ruler of the North? In season 5, Sansa entirely underestimates Ramsay and had to flee with Theon and Brienne's help. In season 6 we saw that no one in the North was ready to fight for her despite her being a Stark. Jon on the other hand did get men to fight for him. We saw that she did not really understand the nature of men and Davos had to instruct her on why the Karstarks were of no help. She mocks Davos as an adviser and keeps important information from Jon for her own selfish reasons. She gets Brienne's loyalty through Catelyn and orders her around like a lowly servant. Show Sansa has none of the courtesy or charm of the book version.

In season 7, Jon is clearly framed as being right in forgiving the Umber and Karstark children as opposed to Sansa wanting to punish them for their father's sins. In fact Dany and Jon are shown as being like minded - the show using Jon's own words with Dany twice. Jon accuses Sansa of undermining him and the script constantly refers to Sansa being tempted by power. Like when she is disappointed that Bran has come back:

Jon's been declared King in the North. But you are father's only trueborn son," Sansa says, carefully trying to mask her disappointment, "You're lord of Winterfell now."

Sansa looks at him for a beat. On the one hand, there's a measure of relief that Bran doesn't seem to have any designs on ruling the North. - Season 7 Outline dated 4/26/16

Sansa is pleased when Jon leaves her in charge. But Jon Vs Sansa continues with Arya Vs Sansa with Arya representing Jon's side of things when Sansa complains about him or entertains Glover's suggestions that she should be queen instead of Jon. The show implies that the only two lords who want Sansa to be queen have been manipulated by LF - Arya observes them talking to LF.  Sansa herself calls these lords weather vanes because they are disloyal. As Sophie Turner admits, everything she got till now was through LF:

How will Sansa fare next season without Littlefinger in her ear?
It’s going to be tricky for her, because at the end of last season, she felt that she had everything set up. She had her family back together. They were in control of the North again. This season, there’s a new threat, and all of a sudden she finds herself somewhat back in the deep end. And without Littlefinger, it’s a test for her of whether she can get through it. It’s a big challenge for her, without this master manipulator having her back. This season is more a passionate fight for her than a political, manipulative kind of fight.

Sansa's story in WF was not about her being a ruler. It was about whether she would chose LF and power or her family. Her actual ruling was 3 minutes of collecting grain, teaching an armorer how to make armor and sitting in front of some papers looking busy. If these 3 minutes is supposed to 100% confirm that Sansa ends up as endgame ruler of WF, then it should also be 100% true that Jon and Dany - who had entire seasons leading and ruling people - will also survive and be King and Queen of Westeros. Tyrion who had entire seasons as Hand of the King and Queen should also be some kind of endgame ruler. Bran should also be ruler considering that the show spend a season on him ruling WF and making some tough decisions as Lord of WF.

If 3 minutes of Sansa looking busy is enough for people to proclaim her ultimate ruler of WF, then that should be fairly easy for the show to do for any character in their feature length final 6 episodes next season. Arya reuniting with Jon and Gendry - bringing back the old Arya from season one. Arya connecting with the small folk and civilians. Arya leading them to safety. Arya and Jon defending WF with Nymeria and Ghost. Arya taking care of the logistics of defense and caring about her people - the show could very clearly establish her as a leader of the people - something that Joe Dempsie brought up in his Con of Thrones interview.

I  think so much of ASOIAF for GRRM really boils down to Jon, Arya and Tyrion. Jon's the classic hero (as GRRM has described him), his Simon Snowlock, his Aragorn, whatever. Arya's his favourite female character, as GRRM has said; he said he could write a whole book about her Braavos adventures (and he has never said anything of the sort about Sansa). And Tyrion's his favourite character overall, as he has happily admitted. He even tied them together in a love triangle in the outline. When GRRM recently said we wouldn't see the story continue beyond ASOIAF, he referred to Jon, Arya and Tyrion's stories. Dany and Bran are important for GRRM as well, but I think when push comes to shove, it's really all about Jon, Arya and Tyrion.

Agree.  I also think that the 3 final, central characters on the show will be Jon, Arya and Tyrion. And going by filming spoilers I do think that Kit, Maisie and Peter have filmed the most this season. Maisie was the first person to start filming and the last person to finish and I think she was in Belfast pretty much all the time.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 5

8s0t5iu84kq11.jpg

https://twitter.com/a_red_priestess/status/1048546135290380290

Image not wholly clear, but it mentions that the battles filmed for "55 consecutive nights over 17 weeks in three locations, involving 600 extras and will set KL on fire". So the three locations are WF, KL and? Could it be we are getting a battle in the Riverlands as well? Considering the Corbet-Banbridge location was also used this season. Or is it a battle at Castle Black?

We’ll finally have closure on all those magical prophecies: The prince that was promised, Dany’s non-child curse, the red comet.. they’re surely come to pass in the end

Mention of Dany's non child curse could indicate that she is getting pregnant next season. The Red comet is interesting considering there are so many different interpretations by different people of what it means.

Rhaegar maybe making an appearance. Plenty of shock deaths of major characters. Aligns with Sophie's comments about this season being " bloodier than ever. It’s full of betrayal, full of war, full of danger."

Maisie Williams had an interview yesterday to promote her play and managed to say absolutely nothing at all about GOT. Disappointing. The hosts also asked terrible questions like if Arya makes it to the end. Of course they are not going to get answers to that.

In other news, that little bit about the statue is indeed intriguing considering that it was just the one fan who mentioned it. Maybe she misheard, but she seems rather certain about it and pretty much every other thing she reported has been reported elsewhere as well.

GOT related stuff Sophie said at the EW interview:

“It was very emotional,” Turner said of leaving the Game of Thrones set. “I was lucky that my last day was surrounded by all of the cast members. We had been shooting the same scene for five days straight. Whenever someone wraps, they bring out a storyboard of your favorite scene of your character and I bawled my eyes out and couldn’t stop shaking and crying for hours. It’s been nearly a decade for me. The majority of my life. I’m still very much processing it. I still don’t accept that it’s done. I don’t think I will until it’s next year and I’m not back in Belfast with my family.”

Was she talking about Spain filming or Belfast filming? If I recall right, she said she got her storyboard gift in Belfast. But I think she also mentioned shooting for 5 days in Spain?

“The secrecy is crazy. We have a whole different name for it when we’re shooting it. This year it was the ‘Tree of Life,’ which is a movie. The script our names are changed and on the call sheets. We have aliases on the call sheets and just numbers on the trailers.”

The last time around she said the code was "Faith of Angels". Now it's "Tree of Life"

“We have a drone killer. If drones fly above the set, there is this thing that can kill the drones,” Turner revealed. “I don’t know how it does it. It creates this field around it and the drone just drops. Also, we shoot fake scenes as well. We got into costume in Croatia and we would film fake scenes. So, we would spend half a day doing nothing.”

No one saw her shooting fake scenes in Croatia.

“Kit [Harrington] is taking his sword and Maisie is taking her sword so I thought, ‘F–k what do I have?’ So, I took my corset. I tried to take my necklace with a mini sword on the end. They want to use that for exhibitions, so that’s not mine.”

They wanted Sansa's needle necklace for the exhibition but not Jon or Arya's swords?

https://www.mpaa.org/2018/10/nycc-sophie-turner-talks-helming-dark-phoenix-and-keeping-game-of-thrones-secrets/

There was no mention of a statue in this article as well.

The Sansa fan also mentioned this:

Watching richard die isn't fun but it wasn't traumatizing and the blood actually tastes very nice and you eat it lmoa'

Will Sansa be eating 'blood' next season? Other things she mentioned that was not reported elsewhere, Sansa has daddy issues - will she get together with an older man (*Cough* Hound/Tyrion *Cough*)?  And her favorite episode is the final one.

Also Sophie does not know that Giantsbane is from GOT despite spending a season with Tormund and thinks that someone called Warren Worthington the III is from the show.

Now I am thinking that the ending of the show is completely predictable to book readers and just took the actors by surprise because their knowledge of the show/books is so bad.
Edited by anamika
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, anamika said:

Could you speculate on how and when you think Sansa is going North with LF and presumably the Vale army? Remember that Winter has Come to the North in the books, Stannis is stuck in snow unable to move and his men are freezing to death and resorting to cannibalism. Only the mountain clans are able to move in that weather. The plans to take down the Boltons are already underfoot and Manderly has set them in motion at the end of the last book.

Also assuming that WF also falls in the books and everyone goes south, you think that Sansa/LF go to WF, Sansa kills LF in WF and then she goes back south again in the books?

I've talked about this before but the timeline between Jon/Stannis/Boltons and the Vale/Sansa are not in sync.  The first Alayne chapter of TWOW is still several months before the Battle of Ice or Jon's assassination.

The Vale also has ships that can sail an army up the White Knife to Winterfell's doorstep.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, anamika said:

Now I am thinking that the ending of the show is completely predictable to book readers and...

The problem is that not even the book readers can agree about which one will be the ending.

Edited by OhOkayWhat
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, WindyNights said:

I've talked about this before but the timeline between Jon/Stannis/Boltons and the Vale/Sansa are not in sync.  The first Alayne chapter of TWOW is still several months before the Battle of Ice or Jon's assassination.

Several issues with this that I can see.

Are you saying that in TWoW, GRRM will solely be writing Alayne chapters in the Vale, detailing what's happening there for several months and will not check in on the battle of ice - which he had already written and only removed at his editor's request - or the battle in Essos - of which he has already written several chapters? TWoW presumably starts with Theon, Tyrion, Barristan etc. as  POVs for the battles of ice and fire. At the same time Sansa is organizing some tourney in the Vale.

Everything happening in TWoW should be in sync by now as per the time line. Sansa's plot in the Vale has already jumped ahead several months judging by how different TWoW Alayne is compared to AFfC Alayne.  We are going to be immediately catching up with events in the North in TWoW. How does a timeline difference even work? And even if Sansa winds up her Vale plot and catches up to the North plot after several months - Winter has still come in the North. And Vale soldiers are not equipped to fight or travel in that weather.

And how does Sansa get the Vale army to fight for her in the books considering she is still married to Tyrion and is wanted for regicide? Would not their focus be on the enemies closer by? The situation in the Riverlands? Or fAegon in the Stormlands? What if Connington or Aegon send the Vale Lords a letter offering an alliance? What if Sansa/LF see an opportunity to take down Cersei in KL, put a friendly regime there and get her marriage annulled?

1 hour ago, WindyNights said:

The Vale also has ships that can sail an army up the White Knife to Winterfell's doorstep.

Yeah, and Manderly controls White Harbor and currently has warships hidden in the White Knife waiting for a chance to attack. Which is going to be happening soon. And Manderly backs Rickon as Lord of Winterfell.

Sansa would need an entire book just to sail to White harbor considering Arianne is still traveling for two chapters to meet fAegon. The more important thing that GRRM needs to do before TWoW ends is getting Dany to Westeros - and there's lots of stuff that needs to be resolved in Essos before this can happen.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, anamika said:

Agree.  I also think that the 3 final, central characters on the show will be Jon, Arya and Tyrion. And going by filming spoilers I do think that Kit, Maisie and Peter have filmed the most this season. Maisie was the first person to start filming and the last person to finish and I think she was in Belfast pretty much all the time.

I agree. It seems that Kit, Maisie, and Peter all filmed nonstop from late April well into July. Prior to April, we know Kit and Maisie were filming pretty much continuously for the entire filming period (going back to October/November), as opposed to Sophie and Emilia who took extended breaks from filming and finished filming earlier than Kit, Maisie and Peter (much earlier in Sophie's case).

I don't know whether Peter was filming as much as Kit and Maisie prior to late April, but it certainly seems possible.

One theory for the statue is that the statue of Sansa is to honour a living Sansa for her brave deeds during the war or whatever, but from what we know of the KL set filming, it's Jon, Arya, Tyrion and Davos who are doing all the heavy lifting in KL, so if there is going to be a statue honouring someone for their noble efforts helping the smallfolk escape the WW menace, it probably won't be Sansa.

8 hours ago, anamika said:

Mention of Dany's non child curse could indicate that she is getting pregnant next season.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED!...Well, not that shocked.

In other news, that little bit about the statue is indeed intriguing considering that it was just the one fan who mentioned it. Maybe she misheard, but she seems rather certain about it and pretty much every other thing she reported has been reported elsewhere as well.

One Sansa fan on /Freefolk was pointing out a few days ago that no one was reporting that Sophie wanted to keep the needle necklace, so in their opinion the lack of reference to wanting to keep the statue in writeups wasn't spoilery (since the omission of the necklace bit wasn't spoilery), and now we have a long writeup where she talks about the needle necklace but there's still no mention of the statue. Very interesting.

Was she talking about Spain filming or Belfast filming? If I recall right, she said she got her storyboard gift in Belfast. But I think she also mentioned shooting for 5 days in Spain?

They were shooting in Spain, but not for five days straight, as far as I know. Sophie and the others took the weekend off.

As for the storyboard bit, yeah. There's this interview from July, which is a little confusing:

But helping to alleviate the difficulties of shooting was a touching farewell gift from Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss. "I wrapped shooting in Spain – like, the whole of Game of Thrones," Turner explained. "But I remember the first time, when I wrapped in Belfast with the crew that we worked with so often, it was in the Winterfell courtyard.

"I wasn't even shooting there, but the director, David Nutter, called me into the courtyard, because he knew it was my last day on set. He said to the whole crew, 'Sansa Stark is leaving Winterfell for the last time.'

"As you can imagine, I bawled my eyes out.

"Then David and Dan presented each actor with their favourite scene of their character in a storyboard, with a little note on the back. That set me off as well. As soon as they brought that out… And the documentary crew saw me. It was just a nightmare, to be honest – I was just bawling."

So where did she get the storyboard, in Belfast or in Spain? When I first read that interview in July, I thought she meant that she got the storyboard in Spain, and that the only Belfast bit was Nutter saying that Sansa Stark was leaving Winterfell, etc. etc., but now I'm not so sure. Because if she got the storyboard in Belfast, that would mean that that's when she finished filming, right?

Is Sophie revealing that she didn't actually film anything for the show in Spain (as opposed to the documentary or what have you), but wrapped as Sansa in Belfast? Because that would be a huge spoiler.

I scoffed when Friki claimed that Joe Dempsie didn't film anything for the show despite being there even though Joe Dempsie claimed several times that he finished filming in Seville by pointing out that everyone takes Sophie's claim that she finished filming the show in Seville at face value, but....hmmm...I dunno. On the other hand, the July article seems to be referencing Spain as her last scene (took five days to shoot, she was sweaty and bored, etc.), so maybe the phrasing is just garbled and Sophie is switching from Belfast to Spain after Nutter tells the crew Sansa's leaving Winterfell for the last time.

They wanted Sansa's needle necklace for the exhibition but not Jon or Arya's swords?

I'm not sure about Longclaw, but I think Maisie got a replica of Needle that was made for her.

Will Sansa be eating 'blood' next season? 

Who's "Richard"? Richard Dormer (Beric)? Richard Madden's long gone, as is the original NK (Richard Brake?). I thought it was a Dark Phoenix reference, but there's no one named Richard in the cast. Is Richard a new redshirt character in S8 who dies in front of Sansa?

Other things she mentioned that was not reported elsewhere, Sansa has daddy issues - will she get together with an older man (*Cough* Hound/Tyrion *Cough*)?  

No, no, no. Jon wears his hair like Ned and acts like Ned, so this obviously means she's going to hook up with Jon. Hee.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, anamika said:

Now I am thinking that the ending of the show is completely predictable to book readers and just took the actors by surprise because their knowledge of the show/books is so bad.

You might be right. Finally, we get some "semi-official" info. Thanks for posting @anamika

The blurb about fight sequence suggests that the fight with the NK does involve King's Landing. Despite all the leaks, this still surprises me.

The amount of green screen means a lot of Dany (and maybe Jon) on the dragons fighting the NK and his army.

It does sound like the Mountain/Hound fight is on.

I wonder what the mention of the "red comet" indicates. 

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)
19 hours ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

Since you put so much emphasize on the outline: It actually clearly states that Tyrion befriends Sansa.

It also clearly states that Sansa's loyalties to her family are questionable and has her choose the Lannisters over her family (in much more direct and conscious fashion than she does in AGOT), a choice she apparently comes to "bitterly regret" (another allusion to her death), so...

Even in the books and the show, while there is certainly a complex relationship between them and Sansa, whatever problems Sansa caused for these characters are actually diminished by other much more serious things.

That doesn't matter. What matters is that Book Sansa was horrible to all three of them (completely justified in Tyrion's case given the circumstances, but I doubt that matters to GRRM).

Sansa's bullying of Arya is really the kicker. If there's one thing that's manifestly clear from ASOIAF, it's that GRRM fucking hates bullies, and we know that Sansa bullied Arya with Jeyne Poole.

Book Jeyne Poole did nothing to Jon or Tyrion. All she did was bully Arya. Like, that's it. And what did GRRM do to poor Jeyne Poole?

1. Have her raped and abused in Littlefinger's brothel.

2. Ship her off to Winterfell to masquerade as the girl she bullied.

3. Have her raped and tortured by Ramsay.

4. Have her lose her nose to frostbite.

There's other stuff, but I mean, damn. If he did that to Jeyne Poole, what the fuck is he going to do to Sansa? (And if your answer is "He's done it already"? Sweet summer child, etc. etc.)

In the ranking of characters behaving badly towards Jon, Arya and Tyrion Sansa is far from the top.

Doesn't matter. Sansa fucked with GRRM's faves, and she's gotta pay for it, like Jeyne Poole, Catelyn, and all the rest. My guess is she pays for it by dying, assuming I'm right about the statue being a big spoiler.

Edited by Eyes High

GRRM didn't do anything to Jeyne Poole. She does not exist. GRRM is not some lunatic to "punish" Jayne Poole with rape just because she was mean to Arya. And he wrote her to be mean to Arya! Lol That's what he wanted. These characters don't have free will.  Arya does not exist. Jon does not exist. It's all his creation. Sorry, but all that is completely ridiculous. Jeyne Poole was used in that storyline because Theon knows her, not to punish her for Arya. George Martin is not mentally insane to behave like that. He is not Arya's fanboy who will do anything just to kill Sansa even if that hurts the story. 

Everything in this debate about Sansa feels completly removed from rational discussion, removed from the actual show. It's just this weird obsesion with Sansa's death but it seems some of you are so deep in that, that only S8 will finally put it to rest. I can't wait for S8 and Tyrion's death to kill this debate about that damn outline from 1993. Sometimes it feels like discussion with High Sparrow LOL, where interpretation of that outline is holy book. and nothing else matters, like 7 seasons of the show that we watched. 

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

It also clearly states that Sansa's loyalties to her family are questionable and has her choose the Lannisters over her family (in much more direct and conscious fashion than she does in AGOT), a choice she apparently comes to "bitterly regret" (another allusion to her death), so...

Doesn't matter. Sansa fucked with GRRM's faves, and she's gotta pay for it, like Jeyne Poole, Catelyn, and all the rest.

I think Sansa has already paid for her mistakes - she lies about what happened with Mycah and immediately loses Lady. She betrays her father to Cersei and gets stuck in KL being brutalized by Joffrey. There are direct and immediate consequences to her actions. Of course, Jeyne Poole got it much worse after getting stuck in KL along with Sansa. But the point is that the nobility never suffer as much as the small folk. Sansa's Stark name protected her unlike Jeyne.

The problem with Sansa though is her lack of family loyalty and considering that even as late as season 7, the show was still figuring out where her loyalties lie, that is a big part of who her character is. That's why GRRM created the character in the first place - because all the Starks were getting along so well and he wanted that one Stark that did not.

Sansa rejects the North and betrays her family to become queen.  And although she looks very much like Cat, she could not be any more different to her mother where family is concerned. Cat embodied her house words - family, duty, honor. Ned died for his daughter. Arya would not even betray Jon to her father. 

“Go ahead, call me all the names you want,” Sansa said airily. “You won’t dare when I’m married to Joffrey. You’ll have to bow to me and call me Your Grace.” (AGOT Sansa III) 

And that's why I found season 7 Sansa to be rather unlikable. She was pretty much AGoT Sansa - snotty and arrogant. When Arya asks, she says that yes, Arya must call her Lady Stark and demands that Arya get down on her knees and thank her for winning the BOTB. She does not think that Jon deserves to be KITN because he's a bastard. She's disappointed that Bran is back because he's the Lord of WF.  Season 7 Sansa went almost as far as executing her own sister, so that she could depose Jon and become queen.

As per the show, she finally seems to have backed her family after 7 seasons. What next? We shall see.  I personally think it's the children who started out as the outcasts in book one who end up on top.

3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

They were shooting in Spain, but not for five days straight, as far as I know. Sophie and the others took the weekend off.

As for the storyboard bit, yeah. There's this interview from July, which is a little confusing:

So where did she get the storyboard, in Belfast or in Spain? When I first read that interview in July, I thought she meant that she got the storyboard in Spain, and that the only Belfast bit was Nutter saying that Sansa Stark was leaving Winterfell, etc. etc., but now I'm not so sure. Because if she got the storyboard in Belfast, that would mean that that's when she finished filming, right?

I am curious about this as well. It is interesting though that her last scene before she wrapped in April or May involved all the cast members and was basically the same scene shot for 5 days straight. 

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1

So GRRM himself wrote Jeyne Poole bullying Arya and then was like "YOU BITCH, HOW DARE YOU BULLY ARYA. I'M GOING TO PUNISH YOU FOR THIS! OFF TO BE RAPED BY RAMSEY." I don't get the logic.

Anyway, 

3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Is Sophie revealing that she didn't actually film anything for the show in Spain (as opposed to the documentary or what have you), but wrapped as Sansa in Belfast? Because that would be a huge spoiler.

I scoffed when Friki claimed that Joe Dempsie didn't film anything for the show despite being there even though Joe Dempsie claimed several times that he finished filming in Seville by pointing out that everyone takes Sophie's claim that she finished filming the show in Seville at face value, but....hmmm...I dunno. On the other hand, the July article seems to be referencing Spain as her last scene (took five days to shoot, she was sweaty and bored, etc.), so maybe the phrasing is just garbled and Sophie is switching from Belfast to Spain after Nutter tells the crew Sansa's leaving Winterfell for the last time.

This is probably why you should stop parsing every single interview as gospel and trying to interpret everything the actors say. Like I said before, the actors are going to say a lot of stuff between now and whenever the hell season 8 starts. Even for press geared toward their other projects, everyone will be asking about Game of Thrones. And they have to say conduct these interviews without revealing anything major. They're going to speak in garbles. They're going to be contradictory. Some of their interpretations will completely clash with what we see on screen. 

The only things all the actors have been consistent about so far is that there will be a lot of battles and bloodshed (which, duh) and that the end will be unpredictable. 

• Love 11
(edited)
49 minutes ago, nikma said:

I can't wait for S8 and Tyrion's death to kill this debate about that damn outline from 1993. Sometimes it feels like discussion with High Sparrow LOL, where interpretation of that outline is holy book. and nothing else matters, like 7 seasons of the show that we watched. 

So you can't understand why an outline that guaranteed the survival of three Starks but not Sansa and which implied Sansa died is potentially critically important to GRRM's endgame for Sansa, particularly after information surfaces in which Sophie seems to spoil her own character's death? Really?

39 minutes ago, anamika said:

As per the show, she finally seems to have backed her family after 7 seasons. What next? We shall see.  I personally think it's the children who started out as the outcasts in book one who end up on top.

Yes, yes, yes. That's GRRM's original five: the cripples, bastards, and broken things. Outcasts, misfits, unappreciated or even unloved, mistreated or outright abused by family members, who were never expected to amount to much of anything...those are the ones who will end up on top. The beautiful golden boys and girls, to whom so much was given and of whom so much was expected, on the other hand, are going down hard: Robb, Jaime, Cersei, Loras, Catelyn, Margaery, Arianne (I'm guessing), and probably Sansa.

I am curious about this as well. It is interesting though that her last scene before she wrapped in April or May involved all the cast members and was basically the same scene shot for 5 days straight. 

But there must be only one last scene that took five days to shoot, in which she was sweaty and bored, after which she was presented the storyboard, right? I assume she's talking about Spain and not Belfast. She was verifiably a wreck the last day they were in Seville, so that must be what she means, right?

In Seville, there was no scene shot for five days straight that we know of, although Seville was so hot at the time that maybe it felt like five consecutive days' worth of shooting. I don't even think there were five days of shooting that scene total, since Sophie and company took the weekend off and it was only Thursday, Friday, Monday and Tuesday that they were shooting, so I don't know why Sophie has said on two separate occasions (July and now more recently) that they were shooting for five days...unless she really does mean Belfast after all? It's very confusing.

26 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

And they have to say conduct these interviews without revealing anything major. 

Sophie has been proven to drop spoilers from time to time in interviews. In this most recent Q&A session she was incredibly indiscreet even for her, revealing that she was in Croatia when it seems that pains were taken to conceal her presence there and talking about smoking weed with Maisie. There was also of course the tiny, insignificant matter of accidentally spoiling her own character's death. 

Edited by Eyes High
4 minutes ago, nikma said:

Sometimes it feels like discussion with High Sparrow LOL, where interpretation of that outline is holy book. and nothing else matters, like 7 seasons of the show that we watched. 

The outline purists are writing canon while D&D are just writing in their dream journals, GRRM will make sure Sansa never steps foot in Winterfell ever again, and GRRM intends to punish uppity girls by having them raped and killed. I'm sure this will go over well with his wife.

"His wife did actually say that if he ever kills off Arya or Sansa, she's going to leave him." - Maisie Williams interview, 2015

For what it's worth, I contacted naughtysansa about #statuegate. Her reply: "Sophie didn't say where the statue appears or where. She just said there is a statue." This fits with her account of the event on tumblr.

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Sophie has been proven to drop spoilers from time to time in interviews. In this most recent Q&A session she was incredibly indiscreet even for her, revealing that she was in Croatia when it seems that pains were taken to conceal her presence there and talking about smoking weed with Maisie. There was also of course the tiny, insignificant matter of accidentally spoiling her own character's death. 

When did she spoil her character's death? Is this because of the statue thing that may or may not be a thing? She didn't come out and say "Sansa dies" as far as I know. Now that...that would actually be an interesting quote worth freaking out about.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

So you can't understand why an outline that guaranteed the survival of three Starks but not Sansa and which implied Sansa died is potentially critically important to GRRM's endgame for Sansa, particularly after information surfaces in which Sophie seems to spoil her own character's death? Really

This is crucial word, because it is not clear from outline what Sansa's endgame is. It's just your interpretation, so it shouldn't be treated as something certain. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Colorful Mess said:

For what it's worth, I contacted naughtysansa about #statuegate. Her reply: "Sophie didn't say where the statue appears or where. She just said there is a statue." This fits with her account of the event on tumblr.

It will be really funny if that statue isn't part of the show at all. 

• Love 6

Only actor that spoiled his characters death was Charles Dance in many interviews since S2, because that was part of the books. I don't think Sophie who is working on GoT and X-Man and has a lot of   experience is that stupid to say "lol I wanted to take Sansa's grave....oops ..". And when did she drop spoilers in the past? Any examples? 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Colorful Mess said:

The outline purists are writing canon while D&D are just writing in their dream journals, GRRM will make sure Sansa never steps foot in Winterfell ever again, and GRRM intends to punish uppity girls by having them raped and killed. I'm sure this will go over well with his wife.

This doesn't make any sense.  Pretty Pia, Tysha and Lollys were punished and I doubt they were uppity. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nikma said:

GRRM didn't do anything to Jeyne Poole. She does not exist.

Exactly. The same things some people say about D&D and Sansa. Sansa is being punished because how she mistreated Tyrion. What? The authors punish character x because something the authors made the character x to do. That does not make any sense. The characters are not real.

1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

So you can't understand why an outline that guaranteed...

You wrote "guaranteed", but I disagree.This is art. Grrm can change anything at any given time if he wants. Big things, little things... anything. He will not suddenly transform the books in a musical, but besides that, he can change anything right now, even if he did not change lots of things before. Why? Because it's art.

Edited by OhOkayWhat
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, Sunshinegal said:

This doesn't make any sense.  Pretty Pia, Tysha and Lollys were punished and I doubt they were uppity. 

Since my post was sarcasm, I agree that it makes no sense! :)

Uppity=being "mean" to Arya, Jon, Tyrion as if GRRM is even taking their "side." 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, OhOkayWhat said:

he can change anything right now

Not only that he can, but he did say he will write major twist in TWOW, something he didn't planned before and something the show can't do. I mean maybe he is lying, so people would care about TWOW, who knows. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Colorful Mess said:

Since my post was sarcasm, I agree that it makes no sense! :)

Uppity=being "mean" to Arya, Jon, Tyrion as if GRRM is even taking their "side." 

I probably worded it wrong.  I think it was absurd that GRMM were punishing people for being "uppity" when we have countless examples of innocent people being terrorized. 

• Love 2

To add to all this, might I add that the showrunners have already changed Cersei's end in some way. They cut the part in Maggy's prophecy about the "younger, more beautiful queen." So that probably ain't happening on the show, but it's most likely going to be a big part of Cersei's end in the books.

D&D are not beholden to the decades-old outline that has already been majorly changed by GRRM himself, they are not beholden to the books that have already been published and have already been changed for the purposes of the show, and they are not beholden to GRRM's future writing. Whenever that may appear on bookshelves (and, if I was a gambling type, I'd lay a lot of money on show canon being the only ending we're gonna get). Also recall that GRRM may change things up himself. He has said himself that he doesn't plan, just writes as he goes along. All you have to do to check the evidence is look at the outline itself and see how much the published books differ from it. Oh, but Arya and Jon are totally in love.

• Love 5
(edited)

(Via /Freefolk): True Detective has just been officially announced to return January 13th, 2019, for eight episodes, giving us the earliest possible GOT premiere date of March 10th, 2019 (March 17th if True Detective skips Super Bowl Sunday).

As I understand it, GOT needs to air four episodes before the Emmy eligibility cutoff date (May 31st), so the latest GOT could premiere is May 5th. I'm still pretty fuzzy on Emmy rules, though.

Big Little Lies had seven episodes in Season 1, so assuming the same for Season 2, the show would premiere March 10th, 2019 and end April 21st, giving us a GOT premiere date of April 28th...unless True Detective skips Super Bowl Sunday, in which case there would be a May 5th, 2019 premiere date.

Seems like we're looking at April 28th or May 5th for the premiere date. If so, we're probably looking at a trailer around the beginning of March 2019.

Those dates would translate into a finale of June 2nd or June 9th, depending. (Or June 16th, I guess, if they skip Memorial Day weekend, although I guess they can't skip Memorial Day weekend to remain eligible for the 2019 Emmys)

So optimistically...199 days until the premiere, and 234 days until the finale. Let the countdown begin!

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

Oh, but Arya and Jon are totally in love.

And Jaime is king. 

I agree, D&D are not beholden to even GRRM's book, outline from 1993 is something they really don't care about. Yes, they said they will use GRRM's ending, but if GRRM told them that Sansa will die I think we would see some hints, something in the last 2-3 seasons. The only way that makes sense for Sansa to die is if she betrays her family. This is part of her character from S1, from Book 1. Loyalty to her family is one of the most important themes in her story. Just like in Tyrion's. So when I heard Friki's leaks(I still don't know if he is right or not), it made sense that he will die because of his family, because his whole character was about his relationship with Lannisters. And you can see some hints in the last 2 seasons.

But when it comes to Sansa it feels that question of her loyalty to the Starks was settled at the end of S7, there are no hints that she will turn against them and I don't find any other narratively satisfying way to kill her in the last season. 

4 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Seems like we're looking at April 28th or May 5th for the premiere date. If so, we're probably looking at a trailer around the beginning of March 2019.

I agree. Did HBO skip Super Bowl Sunday in the past? 

Edited by nikma
  • Love 1

Super Bowl Sunday is in February. I don't think they've ever broadcast GoT in February but I could be wrong.

I remember promos/trailers usually coming out during March Madness time (it's always a bit of a distraction from basketball). 

Edited by Minneapple

Just because D&D leave things out of prophecies on the show doesn’t mean they won’t happen. I think they often do it so that those plot points are more surprising to the non-book reader audience. They do a lot of things for shock value. 

• Love 3

That doesn't matter. What matters is that Book Sansa was horrible to all three of them (completely justified in Tyrion's case given the circumstances, but I doubt that matters to GRRM). 

I'm not that sure. He did call Tyrion a villain, after all.

3 hours ago, anamika said:

I personally think it's the children who started out as the outcasts in book one who end up on top. 

This is a very good point, and I agree with this. However, while Sansa didn't start out as an outcast, she became one pretty soon. So she isn't really comparable with the other characters mentioned either. She's somewhere in between the two groups.

And as for some characters' storylines being told, I think that would matter more if we were earlier in the series. With only six episodes to go and everybody running and Fighting for their lifes, they all should have enough to do.

Edited by BadAssRobinArryn
  • Love 3

Sansa's bullying of Arya is really the kicker. If there's one thing that's manifestly clear from ASOIAF, it's that GRRM fucking hates bullies, and we know that Sansa bullied Arya with Jeyne Poole.

Book Jeyne Poole did nothing to Jon or Tyrion. All she did was bully Arya. Like, that's it. And what did GRRM do to poor Jeyne Poole?

1. Have her raped and abused in Littlefinger's brothel.

2. Ship her off to Winterfell to masquerade as the girl she bullied.

3. Have her raped and tortured by Ramsay.

4. Have her lose her nose to frostbite.

There's other stuff, but I mean, damn. If he did that to Jeyne Poole, what the fuck is he going to do to Sansa? (And if your answer is "He's done it already"? Sweet summer child, etc. etc.)

Doesn't matter. Sansa fucked with GRRM's faves, and she's gotta pay for it, like Jeyne Poole, Catelyn, and all the rest. My guess is she pays for it by dying, assuming I'm right about the statue being a big spoiler.

This.....sounds like you want Sansa to pay for messing with Tyrion, Jon and Arya. It's kind of a bit.....disturbing.

• Love 10

I definitely feel like with Jon specifically there is a big element of people who wrong him eventually getting karmic payback. Thorne hassles him for years and Jon ultimately gets to kill him (with the added secret bonus that Thorne is a big Targ lover and has inadvertently been bullying the Targ heir all these years). Cat refuses to treat Jon as part of the family and gets murdered after watching her son be killed. Sansa always looked down on Jon for being a bastard and she ends up pretending to be a bastard in the Vale. That Wildling warg is a dick to Jon and Jon sleeps with this guy’s crush and kills him.

I think the whole karma thing is pretty common with the main hero though. Like, usually all the hero’s foes are either killed or humbled.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

I definitely feel like with Jon specifically there is a big element of people who wrong him eventually getting karmic payback. Thorne hassles him for years and Jon ultimately gets to kill him (with the added secret bonus that Thorne is a big Targ lover and has inadvertently been bullying the Targ heir all these years). Cat refuses to treat Jon as part of the family and gets murdered after watching her son be killed. Sansa always looked down on Jon for being a bastard and she ends up pretending to be a bastard in the Vale. That Wildling warg is a dick to Jon and Jon sleeps with this guy’s crush and kills him.

I think the whole karma thing is pretty common with the main hero though. Like, usually all the hero’s foes are either killed or humbled.

It also helps though than Jon is also a major  sweetheart ??? Show Jon is such a good hearted , decent human being that he EARNS good karma. I almost expect flowers to sprout where he pees.

(Im not being derogatory in anyway, he’s my absolute favorite character besides Dany and I love him. )

Edited by GraceK
2 hours ago, glowbug said:

Just because D&D leave things out of prophecies on the show doesn’t mean they won’t happen. I think they often do it so that those plot points are more surprising to the non-book reader audience. They do a lot of things for shock value. 

Or because their own narrative (the show) does not need to include those things in the prophecies. 

Edited by OhOkayWhat
23 minutes ago, OhOkayWhat said:

Or because their own narrative (the show) does not need to include those things in the prophecies. 

I never said they were necessary. I’m saying just because part of a prophecy isn’t included in the show doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t happen as the poster I was replying to said. Presumably they want the audience to have a harder time predicting certain plot points. This isn’t necessarily a criticism of the show. There are times when D&D make decisions for shock value when I do think it was the wrong decision but the only altered prophecy I’ve taken issue with is them neglecting to include the references to Dany’s infertility in MMD’s prophecy because now it doesn’t make sense that Dany thinks she’s infertile or that she connects her infertility to MMD and MMD’s prophecy. 

Edited by glowbug
3 hours ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

This is a very good point, and I agree with this. However, while Sansa didn't start out as an outcast, she became one pretty soon. So she isn't really comparable with the other characters mentioned either. She's somewhere in between the two groups.

Well, pretty much every character who started out on top does get humbled one way or another. Sansa starts out as everyone's favorite darling daughter, destined to be queen. And ends up masquerading as a bastard like the brother she looked down on.  Jaime Lannister was the greatest swordsman in Westeros and his entire life was about Cersei. Ends up losing his hand and learns about Cersei's affairs. Let's not even get into what was done to Theon. He is a shell of his former self. Cersei and her walk of shame. Does that make them all outcasts now? Hmm.

Arya's story is a bit like that of the ugly duckling. Bullied by her sister and her friends over her appearance, having low self worth and esteem because she is different - not a proper lady like Sansa. She is surprised when Ned compares her to Lyanna because Lyanna was beautiful . She even thinks at one point that her mother would not want her back. She and Jon bond together over their common outsider status. But like Lyanna, she also helps the weak and connects with the common people.

I think that Arya and Sansa will have opposite trajectories in how their stories end.

People scoff at the outline, but this is how Sansa is described in it

Each of the contending families will learn it has a member of dubious loyalty in its midst. Sansa Stark, wed to Joffrey Baratheon, will bear him a son, the heir to the throne, and when the crunch comes she will choose her husband and child over her parents and siblings, a choice she will later bitterly rue.

Sansa does choose the Lannisters over the Starks in the books. And on the show Sansa remains a member of dubious loyalty till the penultimate season. Sophie Turner talks about Sansa finally knowing what she wants and who she wants to be around and there are threats to that this season.  Maybe Sansa - having finally understood the importance of family - puts her life on the line trying to save the Starks from some betrayal.

And if the Tyrion betrayal is right and Tyrion is indeed jealous over Jon/Dany, then Tyrion's deadly rivalry with Jon Snow from the outline will also probably take place. Jon's story is still at the wall and his parentage is important. Bran has a magical plot about being the 3ER. Dany is waiting to invade Westeros with her Dothraki. Arya will fight and kill lots of Others with needle. Everyone who died in the outline dies in the books.

As per the show, the only thing different in the outline seems to be that Jon-Arya has now changed to Jon-Dany. And there is no Rickon. From the outline, we don't know what happens after Dany invades Westeros and meets Jon.

GRRM still maintains that he knows the ending in broad strokes, that he knows the ending of most of his main characters, that he has known the ending for some 20+ years and most of that is what we will be getting on the show. 

7 hours ago, Colorful Mess said:

It looks like she is sticking by her statement and has confirmed that this is what she heard. Once again, it's so weird, that she is the only person - out of all the people there, including fans - who reported back on this. Was it a small event with few people?

Sansa has a statue that Sophie wanted to keep because it looks like her-but due to problems of actually getting it to her home she didn’t keep it-she also wanted her necklace but because it will be on display she couldn’t keep it–instead she kept one of Sansas corsets.

So there is a big (She could not get it home) statue of Sansa in Game of Thrones as per Sophie Turner. Maybe Freefolk is right and we will get something like this:

vyllpi0utlq11.jpg

Instead of the Wolf, it will probably be the NK. Credit to Litty H on FF.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, glowbug said:

Presumably they want the audience to have a harder time predicting certain plot points

Or maybe it will not happen in the show even if it happens in the books and that is the reason prophecies are different in some cases.

Edited by OhOkayWhat

I still find it difficult to believe that Sansa dies, but if she does, it suggests that the scenes filmed in Seville were not the epilogue even though one of the leakers claim that the snow was melting. So what did they film there? An attack on KL where Sansa is killed? Could Friki be right that it was Tyrion's trial? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, OhOkayWhat said:

Or maybe it will not happen in the show even if it happens in the books and that is the reason prophecies are different in some cases.

I think you’re misunderstanding my comment. I said the absence of part of a prophecy isn’t necessarily an indication that it won’t happen in the show. Some things are left out of the show because they won’t happen (e.g. most of Dany’s House of the Undying vision) but sometimes they will happen and D&D don’t want to give the audience as many clues in advance. I was responding to a comment that implied that if D&D didn’t include part of a prophecy it meant it wouldn’t happen. My point was that there are other reasons why they wouldn’t include part of a prophecy so we can’t definitively say either way. Maybe they left out the YMBQ and the valonqar because there won’t be a YMBQ and/or Cersei will be killed by someone different in the show, or maybe they didn’t want to tell the audience how and by whose hand Cersei will die. 

9 minutes ago, glowbug said:

I think you’re misunderstanding my comment. I said the absence of part of a prophecy isn’t necessarily an indication that it won’t happen in the show. Some things are left out of the show because they won’t happen (e.g. most of Dany’s House of the Undying vision) but sometimes they will happen and D&D don’t want to give the audience as many clues in advance. I was responding to a comment that implied that if D&D didn’t include part of a prophecy it meant it wouldn’t happen. My point was that there are other reasons why they wouldn’t include part of a prophecy so we can’t definitively say either way. Maybe they left out the YMBQ and the valonqar because there won’t be a YMBQ and/or Cersei will be killed by someone different in the show, or maybe they didn’t want to tell the audience how and by whose hand Cersei will die. 

But what you said does not contradict what I said. What I am saying (and you are saying) is we do not know the reasons why they include this or why they removed that. So, I think, we agree on that. And yes, I agree that the no inclusion of something in a prophecy is not proof of this not happening in the future.

7 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I still find it difficult to believe that Sansa dies, but if she does, it suggests that the scenes filmed in Seville were not the epilogue even though one of the leakers claim that the snow was melting. So what did they film there? An attack on KL where Sansa is killed? Could Friki be right that it was Tyrion's trial? 

If Friki is right, then the Sansa statue can’t portend Sansa’s death, since the trial would be postwar and a living Sansa is in attendance.

If /BoatsexBaby is right, it’s possible that Sansa dies at the Dragonpit, although I didn’t think that was particularly likely prior to this information coming out about the statue.

I have always said that it seemed fishy to me that Sansa is completely absent from the KL exterior scenes filmed between April and July but present at the Dragonpit, particularly since Arya, Davos and Tyrion are present in both.

13 hours ago, anamika said:

It looks like she is sticking by her statement and has confirmed that this is what she heard. Once again, it's so weird, that she is the only person - out of all the people there, including fans - who reported back on this. Was it a small event with few people?

FWIW, when looking for video of the EW interview I saw that NYCC had announced it on its schedule as an exciting upcoming event, so they were encouraging the public to go see it. I can't imagine it was TOO sparsely attended.

Naughtysansa did write she was uncertain of some of what Sophie was saying while she was talking about the statue. Maybe she misheard the 'statue' part itself. Or maybe Sophie was talking about a facial cast that she wasn't allowed to take home. (Wasn't there a publicity still in an earlier season of many characters as busts with their death masks on, sitting in niches in the Faceless Men's HQ?) Or yes, maybe it IS a crypt statue...a scene suddenly occurs to me from a theoretical epilogue:

Sansa shows one of her siblings around WF being restored under her supervision after  its destruction. They go down to the crypts and Sansa points out which statues had to be repaired or reproduced after damage from falling debris, noting she'd made sure Father's likeness was better THIS time. They pass a sculptor still working on a statue of Sansa herself. The sibling wonders if it isn't a little EARLY for that? Sansa replies that however long she lives, she intends to live and die in WF, and she'll make sure her interment is done right - down, it is implied, to looking good on her statue for generations to come. I think that would be very much in character. :)

Or yes, Sansa is just a goner. Certainty will have to wait till 2019.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, GraceK said:

It also helps though than Jon is also a major  sweetheart ??? Show Jon is such a good hearted , decent human being that he EARNS good karma. I almost expect flowers to sprout where he pees.

A perfect storm to get stabbed by his own men again.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Colorful Mess said:

A perfect storm to get stabbed by his own men again.

Yep.

Show Jon would make a terrible king. For all his goodness, he can't even control his men and he values doing things the right way over pragmatism where morals are concerned.

• Love 3
On 10/9/2018 at 7:36 PM, YaddaYadda said:

Show!Summer though might end up wightified since he died north of the Wall. Him and Hodor both and I really hope we never see either as wights.

I don't know about Summer being wighted, Leaf set off that small thermo nuclear device, Summer could be ashes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WindyNights said:

Yep.

Show Jon would make a terrible king. For all his goodness, he can't even control his men and he values doing things the right way over pragmatism where morals are concerned.

Maybe. But he won't rule alone.

• Love 2
On 10/11/2018 at 1:40 PM, Colorful Mess said:

The statues could be for each main for all we know ;part of a promotion or tourist trade.

56 minutes ago, anamika said:

And from filming spoilers it does look like WF burns, the North falls and everyone flees south.

It does seem so. There should be a stop in the Riverlands, since there's an actress who plays a Frey girl in S8 and I doubt very much that anyone and less from that House will head North with winter there and a zombie invasion. Imo, many meetings that took place in the North on the show will probably happen in the Riverlands in the books with all the characters converging there (The Hound, the Brotherhood, Brienne, Gendry, Jaime etc.).

(edited)
On 10/12/2018 at 5:51 PM, GrailKing said:

The statues could be for each main for all we know ;part of a promotion or tourist trade.

If that were the case, Sophie wouldn't have had the option to take the statue with her, and apparently she did have that option. Can't use it for promotion or tourism if it's stuffed in a closet somewhere.

In the latest edition of our favourite game of "Tyrion Dies...Or He Doesn't, Who Even Knows Anymore," from a Peter Dinklage Vulture interview this time:

Without giving anything away, how did you feel about where Tyrion is left at the end of the series?
I feel very, very — I’m trying to find the right word. I think he was given a very good conclusion. No matter what that is — death can be a great way out.

[Note from the interviewer: I took what Dinklage was saying here not as a suggestion that Tyrion dies, but rather his attempt to leave open the possibility that the character might meet that fate.]

Either Tyrion dies and Peter Dinklage doesn't care who knows it, or he wants very much to tease the possibility. He also hinted at Tyrion having a tragic end in another interview recently. And the HBO VFX guy recently said "We can't tell you in which episode Tyrion dies...or doesn't," so HBO is either cool with it or in on the joke, depending on your interpretation.

Whether or not there's a Tyrion betrayal, given Peter Dinklage's previous comment about Tyrion having to face some things about himself he didn't want to face, Tyrion may well have some sort of existential crisis in Season 8.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1