Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, nikma said:

We won't give proof I'm sure. Proof will be his track record.

His track record is perfect a (or a few) week(s) before episodes air. It isn't good otherwise. Not this season so far and not last season either IIRC.

39 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I don't think that it is fair to ask for proof with spoilers/leaks, especially when it could get someone in trouble or even fired. However, the leaks should have some credibility when compared to the shooting schedule like occurred with Lads last season, although that was a once in a lifetime leak, I think.

Leaking spoilers can get someone in trouble or even fired. Hyping and advertising it, even moreso. The shooting schedule and onscreen pictures confirmed the leaks for S7 and it's the problem this season, we had nothing legit before.

If mods at Freefolk confirm his info/his sources, I'll consider it legit. But only the info itself. What he infers from it won't be worth more than anyone else's guess to me.

Tyrion is a traitor after all.

The Dragonpit scene is his trial. No, Kit and Emilia didn’t film in Seville. Maybe Jon and Dany BBQ Tyrion while on dragonback?

Tyrion dies, so I assume he loses his trial.

Friki also says in his video that he wasn’t denying the other endgames (Jonsa, e.g.) just that he personally thinks they won’t happen.

Edited by Eyes High

This is all kinda weird. If the Reddit comments are right then I orywea is the one giving Friki leaks on this but Jorywea's full of shit most of the time so idk.

I'd be happy if Tyrion dies though. Tywin's line ends and also no Sansa x Tyrion.

3 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Unless Jon and Dany are on dragons while all this is going on, their absence from his trial is curious... unless the reason they’re absent is that Tyrion murders them both.

I seriously doubt he murders them. They find out about his betrayal. They aren’t gonna let him just walk away after that big revealing scene and give him an opportunity for murder. 

• Love 2
Just now, SeanC said:

I will say, if Tyrion does end up being a traitor, that is hands down the worst-developed characterization in the entire show, based on the preceding seven seasons.

It would pretty much be what D&D did with Shae, albeit on a much larger scale.

• Love 1

It seems pretty strange to have a trial for Tyrion while the battle with the dead rages on. Wouldn’t it be easier to just kill him or lock him up until after? Unless the trial happens post-war, although was there supposed to be snow in the dragonpit?

I do think D&D should have kept some of Tyrion’s “darker” traits from the books if he is going to end up betraying DJ.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Unless Jon and Dany are on dragons while all this is going on, their absence from his trial is curious... unless the reason they’re absent is that Tyrion murders them both.

He said Jon and Dany aren’t at the trial. Only that Jon and Dany are there when he’s revelaed as a traitor

Kinda seems like a waste. Everyone looks down on dwarves in this world, so the one dwarf we've seen as a major character and asked to identify with and feel sorry for...ends up fulfilling the stereotypes of the stupidest and most prejudiced people in this world? Not sure that's going to make sitting through the end seem worthwhile, to me.

• Love 1

I am so confused. Tyrion betrays them in episode five but his trial isn't till episode six, which Jon and Dany aren't attending even though he betrayed them? And what's with the lack of info about Varys who was clearly being set up to turn on Daenerys? Why whitewash Tyrion for the entirety of the show if he's going to turn on everyone? And this part especially made me scratch my head:

"Obviously Tyrion has not forgiven the people of King's Landing, the people of Westeros for sending him to trial and for hating him for being a dwarf." 

Tyrion hasn't addressed this even once since leaving Westeros and has been adamant that he's siding with Dany for the sake of the people because he believes she'll be a good queen, but now he's bitter again? Like, he stomached siding with the Sand Snakes after they murdered his kid niece because he believed in the greater good, so what gives? I have no idea how they'll make sense of this.

EDIT: Also, why drag out the trial? Do they really have that much spare time?

Edited by shireenbamfatheon
  • Love 1

I mean there are hints at the end of S6 that he is in love with Dany. Most fans just didn't lake it and ignored that. And there is that scene at the end of S7. And Dany and Tyrion's relationship wasn't that good in S7 either. We will see how they write him in S8, but it can work if he betrays her because he belives that he is doing something good. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, bubble sparkly said:

I do think D&D should have kept some of Tyrion’s “darker” traits from the books if he is going to end up betraying DJ.

It may be he only betrays Jon. Which would make sense that it’s the Starks in the Dragonpit acting as judge and jury. If he is in love with Daenarys, it’s possible Jon’s parentage reveal is what precipitates this act of treason. Maybe he convinced himself  he’s acting in Danys best interest ?‍♀️ Who knows how it plays out? Or it could be as simple as a deadly jealous rivalry. We don't know what form this betrayal takes. Maybe Jaime asks him before he dies to take care of his child... who knows. It could be anything.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, GraceK said:

It may be he only betrays Jon. Which would make sense that it’s the Starks in the Dragonpit acting as judge and jury. If he is in love with Daenarys, it’s possible Jon’s parentage reveal is what precipitates this act of treason. Maybe he convinced himself  he’s acting in Danys best interest Who knows how it plays out? Or it could be as simple as a deadly jealous rivalry. We don't know what form this betrayal takes.

Didn't Grey Worm and Missandei's actors also film along with the others or was that for another scene? 

I mean no one can guarantee that this will be good development in S8, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I really hope they make this work.  But even if they don't it will happen LOL. 

1 minute ago, nikma said:

This seems like reaction we had to Lads leaks. People didn't like them and they said they were fake.

I’m not saying they are fake at all. I saying that we have no in-depth detail as to the WHY of his betrayal, just that he betrays them. Which leaves a lot of story open .

• Love 2

Wow I was really preparing myself for dead Jon.I don't feel happy about this tbh even tho I was annoyed by Tyrion in season 7 and felt like he was betraying Dany by trying to protect his family while being her hand.But an actual betrayal and trial where he dies will be pretty sad imo.I think it will be because he wants to protect Cersei's kid and not because he's jealous exactly.But if there's a trial and he gets no forgiveness like even exile then I feel like he does something messed up.

Edited by tangerine95
3 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

Wow I was really preparing myself for dead Jon.I don't feel happy about this tbh even tho I was annoyed by Tyrion in season 7 and felt like he was betraying Dany by trying to protect his family while being her hand.But an actual betrayal and trial where he dies will be pretty sad imo.

I prefer a dead Tyrion rather than a dead Jon or Daenarys. I’ve enjoyed and liked him over the years, but Jon  I love and am deeply invested in and I adore Dany. His betrayal breaks my heart more than his death.

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 7

If true, it's indeed pretty big.

But why did he say "what I would put my money on" is a trial? Is it a rhethorical figure of speech to avoid being sued by HBO, or is he just guessing here? Then he said "I was told", so well, a bit confusing.

I swear, really want to believe this. It's my lesser evil option in those that were proposed. Jon is one of my deal breakers and I love Dany. But I don't want to know a truth, I want to know the truth.

Also, if betrayal there is, I want it to make sense. Tyrion betraying for, or in favor of Cersei doesn't make sense to me. If it's something else, even if he allies with Euron to depose Cersei, I'll keep my mind open.

39 minutes ago, WindyNights said:

I'd be happy if Tyrion dies though. Tywin's line ends and also no Sansa x Tyrion.

Wasn't Sophie crying after filming those scenes? Could be that Sansa and Tyrion get close before, even if it's just platonic, and she advocates for him... It would be emotionally draining for an actress. (j/k. well, only half) And again, we don't know yet what happens with Jaime/Brienne so we don't know if Tywin's line will die...or get significant improvement over the next generation.

I now understand Frikidoctor's deduction, though. Jon, Dany and Tyrion are seemingly the top three fave characters of most the fandom, casual or other. Killing off the three of them, two of them, or one of them but leaving another a widow and their child an orphan would be full on tragic and certainly not satisfying. I wouldn't infer that J/D end up on the thrones but it tips the scale in favor of not dying and together, imo.

Wasn't Isaac in Seville? Bran is still the big unknown in every leak, and I wonder why he wouldn't be part of the big treason scene.

17 minutes ago, shireenbamfatheon said:

Why whitewash Tyrion for the entirety of the show if he's going to turn on everyone?

This part, at least, would fit D&D's writing. Remember how Stannis finally showed human feelings with Shireen at the beginning of S5? It made so many people believe he'd never burn her, and even many of those who were convinced he would sacrifice her eventually, hesitated.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 2

If they knew that this is Tyrion's endgame (and they did), I really don't understand why they didn't make him darker in the show, like they did with Stannis. Or maybe his betrayal won't be "dark". We will do it for greater good, but he will be wrong. 

• Love 4

In a way I like this, because it now makes sense why they wrote Tyrion as bad Hand in S7. He is not endgame Hand, it's probably Davos. As I said Liam knew Davos's endgame since S4, because GRRM told him. 

Just now, Happy Harpy said:

Er...he said "I was wrong" at one point during the video :))

He was wrong with his theories, like every fan, but when he says something is spoiler than it is. 

Just now, nikma said:

In a way I like this, because it now makes sense why they wrote Tyrion as bad Hand in S7. He is not endgame Hand, it's probably Davos. As I said Liam knew Davos's endgame since S4, because GRRM told him. 

You know, I love Tyrion, but Dadvos as the hand, looking over his surrogate children? Yep, seaworth it.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, nikma said:

Or maybe his betrayal won't be "dark". We will do it for greater good, but he will be wrong. 

This is what I am thinking. But what greater good? Not Cersei. Unless he makes a powergrab for the throne himself to rule as regent for Cersei’s kid thinking it’s the best option instead of a Targaryen restoration. Maybe Jaime asks him to look after his kid if he dies and he feels compelled to honor that .

Edited by GraceK
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I prefer a dead Tyrion rather than a dead Jon or Daenarys. I’ve enjoyed and liked him over the years, but Jon  I love and am deeply invested in and I adore Dany. His betrayal breaks my heart more than his death.

Yeah of the 4 endings that were given I would have definitely chosen Tyrion to die because Jon and Dany are my faves but I hate that he betrays them.I loved his friendships with Jon and especially with Dany so it sucks.

• Love 4
Just now, GraceK said:

This is what I am thinking. But what greater good? Not Cersei. Unless he makes a powergrab for the throne himself to rule as regent for Cersei’s kid thinking it’s the best option instead of a Targaryen restoration.

Maybe his jealousy will blind him, he will do something against Jon, because he will convince himself that he is bad option for Dany and realm or he will connice himself that Dany won't be great ruler. And he will be sorry at the end. We will get another great speech from him, where he will say how he failed as Hand, but crime will be too important, so he would need to die. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, nikma said:

He was wrong with his theories, like every fan, but when he says something is spoiler than it is. 

I find it hard to believe that GRRM didn't know who his endgame Hand was from the beginning.

According to GRRM, Davos was created and made a POV so we could see Stannis' story. And Davos only arises because Cressen ended up dying.

8 minutes ago, nikma said:

Or maybe his betrayal won't be "dark". We will do it for greater good, but he will be wrong. 

This. He thinks he is doing something good, but actually he's terribly wrong. It works very well with the way D&D write their characters. Example, my fav character: Arya.

• Love 2
Just now, nikma said:

Maybe his jealousy will blind him, he will do something against Jon, because he will convince himself that he is bad option for Dany and realm or he will connice himself that Dany won't be great ruler. And he will be sorry at the end. We will get another great speech from him, where he will say how he failed as Hand, but crime will be too important, so he would need to die. 

Oh yeah I can see that tbh.If he truly believes Jon is a liability for Dany and there's jealousy in the mix too then he might to something to Jon.

• Love 1

Hmmm. If there's no Dany and Jon then the betrayal must mean they are captured. This could be why it's in the Dragonpit.  Cersie still has control of The Red Keep and/or Kings Landing and the rest are gathered outside because of a siege.