Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Kimmy Does a Puzzle!

(edited)

"Sir, you should be able to tell that I have not."

lol. 

Monopoly. A game where you pay rent. Hah! That's probably why I always hated it. But also bc it took way way too long to play. 

Maya Rudolph is such a versatile actress. Love her.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 5

I thought Dionne Warwick was an odd character choice considering that she's 76 years old. Maya Rudolph wasn't made up to look anywhere near that age, and Warwick isn't singing on cruise lines either. I guess there aren't any modern-day equivalents of Dionne Warwick or Lola Falana these days but the inclusion of that character gave the show a weird throwback feel, like it took place 30 years ago.

• Love 3
On 5/30/2017 at 3:19 PM, iMonrey said:

I thought Dionne Warwick was an odd character choice considering that she's 76 years old. Maya Rudolph wasn't made up to look anywhere near that age, and Warwick isn't singing on cruise lines either. I guess there aren't any modern-day equivalents of Dionne Warwick or Lola Falana these days but the inclusion of that character gave the show a weird throwback feel, like it took place 30 years ago.

I like Maya Rudolph but the character kind of bugged. Mostly because her accent was so over the top that there was at least a word or two in each one of her lines that I didn't understand. On the plus side as far as this shows record for having actors play real people it was way better than Tina Fey as Marcia Clarke.

• Love 1
(edited)

We've known that Titus is selfish but in the earlier seasons, his selfishness veered more towards laziness. Is this the first time we've seen him be ruthless for the sake of his career? I may have thrown up in my mouth a little bit when he started spraying that hot tub water everywhere. I was just imagining all the toilet cooties touching everything - blech!

Stealing pieces from all of the board games and the puzzle was a shitty thing to do too. Who does that?!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 5/21/2017 at 1:06 PM, Mindthinkr said:

PDA.....ROTFL!!!

The delivery of "WELL I'M ALWAYS WRONG THE OTHER WAY!!" was perfect. Ellie Kemper is just so great. 

And I agree with everything said about Titus. He's often hysterical, but he's frequently terrible. Actually, that description could apply to any of the regulars on this show other than Kimmy. 

• Love 2

I didn't find this episode particularly funny; it was a bit too mean and more than a little gross.  I did smile at fake Lea Michele; the body language was dead on. 

And I'm enjoying Peter Riegert; I've loved him since I first saw Local Hero.

Titus's selfishness has always been played for laughs so I think it was important for this show to address it a little more seriously. He can be a truly awful person sometimes but I think we love him because Kimmy loves him (and because Tituss Burgess is a phenomenal actor).

But I thought it was really telling when, until she said otherwise, Titus didn't think Kimmy "had a line." We've seen him treat her however he feels like for three seasons now because he's convinced she's just so happy to be out of the bunker and have him as a friend that he'd never do anything to push her away permanently. I applaud Kimmy for finally standing up to him (it's so little but taking one piece from every game was the height of petty and even more indicative of Titus's selfishness than spraying Dionne Warwick with cruise hot tub water, which to whoever said they threw up in their mouths a little at that part, same). She saved his butt by becoming his roommate. Lillian was about to throw him out until Kimmy moved in and could prove she could pay the rent, and for the most part he treats her like not-painted-over dirt on their apartment-not-a-tugboat's floors.

At the same time, Lillian is right that Kimmy brings out the best in Titus (as well as in Lillian and also Jacqueline). At the end of the day I love their friendship because when it's good, it's so good. You can really feel the love not just between Kimmy and Titus, but between Ellie and Tituss as well. When Kimmy finally got her high five from him, I wanted to cry. There's so little she actually wants out of that relationship and she deserves all of it.

I was sort of meh on the Artie and Lillian storyline at first but now that it's getting romantic, I'm enjoying it. The actors have really great chemistry and their reluctance to get into the relationship is very sweet.

• Love 3

Always fun seeing Maya Rudolph.  Got a kick out of the telefone scenes and the appearances from "Lea Michele" and "Bruce Springsteen" (although I could totally picture Bruce killing "Rain, Rain, Go Away!")

Glad this season has been showing how much of a jerk Titus is.  He's still funny (and Titus Burgess is fantastic), but he's always been a selfish a-hole, who treats Kimmy more like a nuisance then friend, and I'm glad there was consequences this time and he's starting to realize that his behavior has been in the wrong.  I doubt he will ever fully change, but hopefully he will grow as a character.

Artie and Lillian are still great.  Really hope nothing bad happens to Artie or their relationship, but with Lillian, you never know...