Type keyword(s) to search

Switched at Birth Spoilers

A bit in the latest Ask Ausiello:

http://tvline.com/2014/06/03/nashville-season-3-spoilers-juliette-pregnant-hayden-panettiere/

Question: Do you have anything on Switched at Birth? —Nikki
Ausiello: Bay and Emmett’s night of passion will be followed by a whole mess of complications — does boyfriend Tank ring a bell? — in the June 16 season opener. And that’s too bad because Emmett could really use Bay’s support when things go from bad to worse with tormentor Matthew.

(edited)

Plot descriptions for the two episodes after next week:

3.17 - Girl with Death Mask (She Plays Alone) airs on 7/21

Daphne stirs up trouble while Bay meets a new cousin. When John starts feeling a sense of built-up anxiety in Bay and Daphne, he suggests that a trip to Chicago to find Bay's second cousin is a perfect opportunity for her to become more in touch with her roots and give Daphne a chance to tour prospective colleges. But the trip goes south when Daphne uses the opportunity to act out, and Bay discovers alarming news about Angelo's family past. Meanwhile, Kathryn tries to kindle a spark between two love-seeking candidates looking for something missing in their lives.

3.18 - It Isn't What You Think airing on 7/28

Rattled by surprising news, Bay makes an effort to be friends with Tank. When Bay offers to be moral support for Tank as he meets his father for dinner, she finds that she may have bitten off more than she can chew. Toby continues to stir things up with Lily, yet a conflict regarding a make-up test for Sharee raises unwanted confrontation between the two. Meanwhile, Daphne and Travis make life-changing decisions when they find out their admission results from Gallaudet University.

Edited by AmandaPanda

Plot summaries for episodes 19 & 20:

Episode 3.19 - You Will Not Escape airing on 8/4

Daphne encourages her classmates to join her in a senior ditch day. Looking for a distraction, Daphne organizes a senior ditch day for her Carlton classmates, but things get out of hand. Bay meets with Angelo's doctor to discuss their family medical history. Meanwhile, Kathryn brings Regina to her book publisher's author party in New York.

Episode 3.20 - The Girl on the Cliff airing on 8/11

Bay and Emmett are elected senior prom queen and king. Regina, Kathryn, and John are shocked when Bay tells them about the extent of Daphne's self-destructive behavior, prompting the parents to set some ground rules. Bay reconsiders attending the prom when the school board implements a new rule regarding dance dress code. Daphne continues her downward spiral when a bad decision puts her job at the clinic in jeopardy. Meanwhile, Tank helps Toby grow his deejay business, but their bromance is tested when Toby is offered a gig at Omega Psi. 

Somehow I didn't realize it was already this late into their senior year. Prom is typically late April or early May. I'm guessing the finale will probably be their graduation then.

• Love 1

I wonder if it's that she's upset about there being a specific dress code in general, even if it's not about her dress in particular.

Also, season finale summary released:

3.21 - And Life Begins Right Away

The Kennishes and Vasquezes celebrate high school graduation on an all-new episode of Switched at Birth, airing Monday, August 18. Everyone is looking forward to commencement until shocking news about Carlton threatens to overshadow their special day. Daphne fears her future is in jeopardy when her past catches up with her. John and Kathryn are not happy when they learn about Bay's non-traditional post-graduation plans. Meanwhile, Mary Beth is pleased when Travis's wish comes true.

Lizzy Weiss took to twitter today to tease the upcoming summer episodes, the big reveal being that the family has to deal with an unexpected pregnancy. So there's that.

I just hope that it's not some twisted who's the father drama with Bay, Emmett, and Tank.

Good grief, does anyone on TV have planned pregnancies? It seems like 9 out of 10 TV pregnancies are accidents.

My money is on Regina and Eric. It would give her something to do, at least. Please let it not be Bay.

• Love 1

My guess is Lily. I've noticed the actress who plays her seems to be doing a lot of filming lately according the cast and crew on social media. Lizzy Weiss also promised a controversial and compelling storyline so if it is Lily, I think she might have an abortion against Toby's and his parents' wishes and we'll see Toby dealing with that. 

Hope to God it's not Bay. According the spoilers she'll be dealing with the "fall-out of her assault" though so I suppose a pregnancy could be considered "fall-out" but that would really suck. I'd love to see Bay thriving in 4B, either by enrolling in college or doing something with her art but looks like she's in for more misery. 

I agree with CleoCaesar and Everleigh. I don't think it's Bay only because they already gave her a pregnancy scare and it would be impractical to put her through that again. I think that it could be a coin toss between it affecting Regina or Toby. Neither character has had a real storyline all season. Regina's had a "Me so horny" season with Eric and bonding with his son, now that they're taking their relationship up a level, it wouldn't be surprising. On the other hand, Toby is doing whatever in his power to convince Lily he's the better choice and an unexpected pregnancy could change Toby's outlook and lack of motivation. I could see him wanting her to keep the baby because it'll give him a "new purpose in life" or something ridiculous.

Lizzy Weiss also mentioned that an old character will be making a surprise visit in the summer: oh, how I hope it's Wilke! Toby really needs a friend in his life.

Edited by Eri

Lizzy Weiss also mentioned that an old character will be making a surprise visit in the summer: oh, how I hope it's Wilke! Toby really needs a friend in his life.

That would be awesome, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

She's stated interviews and on Twitter, along with Vanessa Marano, around the time of the finale that Tank will definitely be back so viewers can see what happened to him.  Which would suck.   I could care less about him and this show's continued attempts to make him relevant.  Those spoilers refer to what happened as an "assault," but he certainly, except for a hot minute, never got treated as if he committed assault.  The show went out of its way to paint him as the "good guy" with a heart of gold and I'm tired of it.

It's sort of ridiculous to me that Emmett was the bad guy in that whole thing.  He was nowhere around and got almost no perspective other than being the angry boyfriend who doesn't get it, even though Bay is the one telling him she was NOT raped (even though she was), while Tank gets his victim to absolve him of almost all responsibility and explicitly label him a "good guy" who shouldn't get any punishment.  But at the end of the day, Emmett's the bad guy.  The show doesn't portray him as anything other than angry and extremely insensitive.  No look into how he may have struggled to try to be there for Bay, but not being able to wrap his head around how what happened could, according to Bay, not be rape, but not be cheating either.  He's a "liar" and "weak."  But Tank, on the other hand, is an innocent "good guy" (no pejoratives for him!) who will no doubt be presented as a victim whose life will never be the same.  Fuck. That.  I think I'm pretty much done with this crap.  I will NOT sit around and watch more of the Tank shit.  He'll show up and be the victim and viewers will be expected to feel sorry for him. He's the male version of Daphne.  Bay isn't allowed to be legitimately angry with her but for a second either.  Whatever.

It isn't even about Bay and Emmett as a couple for me.  Break them up, fine.  But the way it was done was bullshit.  I would even be okay with it if I believed that it meant that the show would actually focus on BAY, and her development and maturation, not use her for a PSA or to prop up Daphne, Tank, Travis, and/or any other random guest character.  She should finally be able to grow and find a way to achieve her dreams in art, but that isn't going to happen.  Move out and go to New York or Paris and work to be an artist or something, but nope.  She will continue to flounder and service other characters' stories, particularly Daphne.

My guess is Lily. I've noticed the actress who plays her seems to be doing a lot of filming lately according the cast and crew on social media. Lizzy Weiss also promised a controversial and compelling storyline so if it is Lily, I think she might have an abortion against Toby's and his parents' wishes and we'll see Toby dealing with that. 

Hope to God it's not Bay. According the spoilers she'll be dealing with the "fall-out of her assault" though so I suppose a pregnancy could be considered "fall-out" but that would really suck. I'd love to see Bay thriving in 4B, either by enrolling in college or doing something with her art but looks like she's in for more misery. 

A "fallout of her assault" COULD mean a pregnancy with Tank's child or it could mean an attempt by Tank to get his reputation back by trying to get UMKC to admit that the sex was NOT a rape but consensual sex. Tank could say that Bay is a convicted felon and felons OFTEN lie. Bay has already had to contend with the name calling on the internet. It would be worse this time if that were to happen.

I don't see how Bay could "thrive" in 4B. Do colleges WANT convicted felons?

Finding a decent job will be very difficult, unless she were to get a job through her parents - working at the coffee house, being a manager at one of the car washes, or being paid to clean the house while Kathryn and Toby are writing their musical.

She could paint those benches, but that would be unpaid.

Then there is the possibility of having Nacho committing a crime and somehow being able to blame it on Bay. He "saw" her ruin property before when she got angry over her father's death.  She can do it again after being angry about her breakup with Emmett.

Daphne has her own problems. She has to pay Bay back for her loving gift of saving Daphne's life. She MUST become a doctor and all of the pressures that go along with getting good grades.

Then again, I have been accused of being really negative - but I don't see very many happy endings for these 2 main characters.

Edited by John S

A "fallout of her assault" COULD mean a pregnancy with Tank's child or it could mean an attempt by Tank to get his reputation back by trying to get UMKC to admit that the sex was NOT a rape but consensual sex. Tank could say that Bay is a convicted felon and felons OFTEN lie. Bay has already had to contend with the name calling on the internet. It would be worse this time if that were to happen.

I don't see how Bay could "thrive" in 4B. Do colleges WANT convicted felons?

Finding a decent job will be very difficult, unless she were to get a job through her parents - working at the coffee house, being a manager at one of the car washes, or being paid to clean the house while Kathryn and Toby are writing their musical.

She could paint those benches, but that would be unpaid.

Then there is the possibility of having Nacho committing a crime and somehow being able to blame it on Bay. He "saw" her ruin property before when she got angry over her father's death.  She can do it again after being angry about her breakup with Emmett.

Daphne has her own problems. She has to pay Bay back for her loving gift of saving Daphne's life. She MUST become a doctor and all of the pressures that go along with getting good grades.

Then again, I have been accused of being really negative - but I don't see very many happy endings for these 2 main characters.

I don't think Tank is going to come back as some sort of villain looking to further victimize Bay by dragging her name through the mud. I think if anything, he'll get a sympathetic story-line meant to redeem him because he's such a "good-guy" in the show's eyes. He'll probably be shown as being remorseful and having realized he crossed a line. And then we'll probably be told how hard things have been for him since being expelled and expected to feel bad for him... which I won't, ever, because I don't sympathize with rapists.

I'm hoping "Bay continues to deal with the fallout of her assault" just means we'll see her working to come to terms with what happened to her. She hadn't really accepted that she'd been assaulted the last we saw. The furtherest she got was admitting that she "wasn't okay" with it, so maybe she'll get some counseling or something and be able to focus on healing herself instead of worrying about Tank's reputation or Emmett's feelings.

As for Bay not getting into college because of her felony conviction, it really shouldn't prevent her from going to school. At least it wouldn't in the real world. It might prevent her from receiving financial aid or being eligible for on campus housing, but money's not a problem for Bay and she could always commute to school. She would have to disclose her conviction on applications and each school she applied to would decide on their own whether or not to admit her based on that and a host of other factors. She has one non-violent, non-drug related crime on her record, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for most colleges. Schools are more concerned about violent crimes, sexual offenses, and drug related crimes.  But for drama sake, I suppose the show could have her be turned down by every school she applies to so she continues being aimless and miserable.

• Love 1

Everleigh - You could very well be right about everything but I wonder which school she would commute to.

I'm going to assume that the only school that she could commute to would be UMKC, and I would find it very hard to believe that Melody would allow Bay to enroll there - but I could be mistaken.

Tank doesn't need to be a villain. He just has to be a man trying to get his reputation back. Since Bay has accused him of rape, he will NEVER be friends with her ever again or have anything positive to say about her anymore. If he can get his reputation back, then he isn't going to care if Bay gets hurt in the process.

Everleigh - You could very well be right about everything but I wonder which school she would commute to.

I'm going to assume that the only school that she could commute to would be UMKC, and I would find it very hard to believe that Melody would allow Bay to enroll there - but I could be mistaken.

Tank doesn't need to be a villain. He just has to be a man trying to get his reputation back. Since Bay has accused him of rape, he will NEVER be friends with her ever again or have anything positive to say about her anymore. If he can get his reputation back, then he isn't going to care if Bay gets hurt in the process.

Why wouldn't Melody allow her to enroll there? Because of Emmett? I don't see Melody holding Bay and Emmett's breakup against Bay, especially since Bay didn't do anything to hurt Emmett. Plus I don't think Melody would be in charge of admissions, she's only in charge of the deaf program which Bay wouldn't be a part of. 

I was just hoping that Bay would enroll in school because I think it would be good for her, but there's been a couple of BTS set photos posted on instagram that leads me to believe that might actually be happening. It looks like Bay might be packing while crying in this one from the official SAB instragram. And B. K. Cannon (MaryBeth) posted a pic of her and Vanessa Marano in what looks to be a classroom. And there's this pic of her and Ryan Lane (Travis) on UMKC campus. I know Bay spent some time on campus visiting Daphne and helping out her dad with the baseball team in 4A so her simply being there doesn't necessarily mean she'll be going to school, but the photo of her in a classroom with MaryBeth suggests she might at least take a class or something.

Edited by Everleigh

Why wouldn't Melody allow her to enroll there? Because of Emmett? I don't see Melody holding Bay and Emmett's breakup against Bay, especially since Bay didn't do anything to hurt Emmett. Plus I don't think Melody would be in charge of admissions, she's only in charge of the deaf program which Bay wouldn't be a part of. 

I was just hoping that Bay would enroll in school because I think it would be good for her, but there's been a couple of BTS set photos posted on instagram that leads me to believe that might actually be happening. It looks like Bay might be packing while crying in this one from the official SAB instragram. And B. K. Cannon (MaryBeth) posted a pic of her and Vanessa Marano in what looks to be a classroom. And there's this pic of her and Ryan Lane (Travis) on UMKC campus. I know Bay spent some time on campus visiting Daphne and helping out her dad with the baseball team in 4A so her simply being there doesn't necessarily mean she'll be going to school, but the photo of her in a classroom with MaryBeth suggests she might at least take a class or something.

Bay is a convicted felon. She had a drunken sexual escapade with Tank. She cheated on Emmett. I'll bet that if Melody doesn't give her approval to an admission of a student, the UMKC board would, at least, give it some thought.

If Bay takes classes at UMKC, she runs the risk of being known as the person who was called very bad names on the internet. Her name was posted. If she is recognized, she could have people call her names right to her face. I don't think that she would put herself in that position.

Since SOMEONE will supposedly be pregnant in 4B, it is possible that Bay would be pregnant with Tank's child.

Bay is a convicted felon. She had a drunken sexual escapade with Tank. She cheated on Emmett. I'll bet that if Melody doesn't give her approval to an admission of a student, the UMKC board would, at least, give it some thought.

If Bay takes classes at UMKC, she runs the risk of being known as the person who was called very bad names on the internet. Her name was posted. If she is recognized, she could have people call her names right to her face. I don't think that she would put herself in that position.

Since SOMEONE will supposedly be pregnant in 4B, it is possible that Bay would be pregnant with Tank's child.

Melody doesn’t think Bay cheated on Emmett. She thinks Bay was sexually assaulted. She initiated the investigation and was sympathetic to Bay throughout, so I really don’t think Melody would hold Bay’s assault against her and use that to keep her from going to college. Even if Bay had cheated on Emmett, and she didn't, I still don't think Melody would prevent her from going to school because of it. 

But I do think your other point is valid. Bay would face ridicule and harassment at UMKC being known as the girl involved in the dorm rape incident. It wouldn’t be easy and it’d probably make more sense for her to go to a different school to spare herself, but UMKC is the convenient choice being that Daphne and several other characters go there so it’s a simple way for the writers to keep the characters together. Plus Bay dealing with all that would add extra drama to her going off the college and TV shows obviously need drama. They could actually use her felony conviction as the reason why she’s at UMKC and not another school that wouldn’t be so complicated and difficult for her. Maybe the other schools she applies to reject her because of her conviction, leaving UMKC as her only option, forcing her to go there and deal with everything. That's if she is in fact going to school in 4B. It's pretty much all just speculation at this point. 

Melody doesn’t think Bay cheated on Emmett. She thinks Bay was sexually assaulted. She initiated the investigation and was sympathetic to Bay throughout, so I really don’t think Melody would hold Bay’s assault against her and use that to keep her from going to college. Even if Bay had cheated on Emmett, and she didn't, I still don't think Melody would prevent her from going to school because of it. 

But I do think your other point is valid. Bay would face ridicule and harassment at UMKC being known as the girl involved in the dorm rape incident. It wouldn’t be easy and it’d probably make more sense for her to go to a different school to spare herself, but UMKC is the convenient choice being that Daphne and several other characters go there so it’s a simple way for the writers to keep the characters together. Plus Bay dealing with all that would add extra drama to her going off the college and TV shows obviously need drama. They could actually use her felony conviction as the reason why she’s at UMKC and not another school that wouldn’t be so complicated and difficult for her. Maybe the other schools she applies to reject her because of her conviction, leaving UMKC as her only option, forcing her to go there and deal with everything. That's if she is in fact going to school in 4B. It's pretty much all just speculation at this point. 

There are 2 sides to Melody. When Bay came in for her interview about the sexual assault, she made it quite clear that she was speaking as the school administrator and NOT as Emmett's mother. We have no idea what Emmett's mother thinks of the assault. I would imagine that she would defend her son and agree with him that Bay cheated.

If the writers need more drama for Bay, there is always Nacho. He could destroy property and then, somehow, blame or frame Bay for it. He has already "seen" her destroy property, and he and Daphne "tried" to stop her but failed. She was THAT angry - and now she is angry about breaking up with her boyfriend so she destroyed more property.

Then there is Tank who will try his hardest to have his expulsion from school reversed. He could say that felons OFTEN lie, and Bay lied about the consensual sex being a rape. If he is successful, then Bay would not only be a convicted felon but she would also be seen as an out and out liar, who wouldn't be able to believed about anything anymore.

I don't think the pregnancy is going to be Bay. I think it's going to be Regina or Kathryn, probably Regina. As for Bay going to school, there's a really good art institute in Kansas City that is right up the street from UMKC. I'd like to see Bay end up there. 

I really wish they would kill the Bay/Emmett relationship for good. 

There was some discussion in the most recent episode thread about Bay's motivation for telling her parents about Eric, and whether or not she did so out of spite based off of the look she gives Regina in that final scene. Vanessa Marano was asked about it in a recent interview and according to her, Bay tells her parents because it was the right thing to do and there wasn't anything spiteful about it. 

Also according to Vanessa, the last 5 minutes are supposed to be shocking and take the characters in an unexpected direction.

Starting to really think Eric may be shady after all and that Regina's poor decisions may come back to not only hurt her, but the rest of the family as well. 

• Love 1