Type keyword(s) to search

Getting good ink: Ink Master in the Press

Kromm
  • Start Topic

‘Ink Master’ Renewed For Two More Seasons; Spinoff ‘Grudge Match’ Ordered By Paramount Network

https://youtu.be/ep_ZLwkhmoc

By Denise Petski

Paramount Network is expanding its popular Ink Master franchise across platforms, ordering two more 16-episode seasons (13 and 14) of its hit original tattoo-competition series, and new spinoff series, Ink Master: Grudge Match.Season 13 of Ink Master is slated to premiere in 2020. In addition, Paramount Network has launched a stand-alone Ink Master channel on YouTube, which will be the new home for all Ink Master video content.

Season 12 of Ink Master, titled Ink Master: Battle Of The Sexes, will premiere Tuesday, June 11 at 10 PM ET/PT (watch the trailer above). The new season feature teams of male and female artists competing against each other in the battle for a chance to win $100,000, an editorial feature in Inked and the coveted “Ink Master” title. Past contestants and fan favorites will return throughout the season to coach the teams in various challenges during the competition.

Hosted by Dave Navarro, Ink Master remains a ratings powerhouse for Paramount Network. Season 11, which concluded this past December, was the #1 reality series on ad-supported cable among Men 18-49 and a top 10 reality series among Adults 18-49. The franchise also is currently the most socially-engaged Paramount Network series, with over 365 million lifetime cross-platform video views.

“The popularity of tattoo culture is at an all-time high, so I am thrilled to expand the incredibly successful Ink Masterfranchise across multiple platforms and touchpoints for our fans,” said Keith Cox, president, Development and Production for Paramount Network and TV Land. “Each new season of Ink Master brings forth heightened interpersonal drama and the stakes will be raised yet again in season 12’s Battle Of The Sexes and the fall premiere of Grudge Match. Additionally, the new YouTube channel will feature the most infamous moments from past seasons, content from upcoming seasons and exclusives that fans won’t want to miss.”

Ink Master: Grudge Match will pit former Ink Master contestants against their biggest rivals against whom they previously competed. Former Ink Master champions Ryan Ashley (Season 8), DJ Tambe (Season 9 and Season 10) and Cleen Rock One (Season 11) will serve as judges. Consisting of 12 one-hour episodes, Ink Master: Grudge Matchis slated to premiere this fall.

Each week Ink Master puts artists through a series of tattoo challenges that not only test the artists’ technical skills, but also their on-the-spot creativity, as they must create and execute an original tattoo on a “human canvas.” After every challenge, the contestants face a tough panel made up of series host Dave Navarro and world renowned tattoo artists Chris Nunez (Miami Ink) and Oliver Peck (Elm Street Tattoo).

“With Ink Master, the longer we engage and delve into the tattoo world, the more artistry and complexity we uncover,” said Truly Original Executive Producers Glenda Hersh and Steven Weinstock. “Twelve seasons in, the franchise continues to surprise and inspire us – we love getting to deliver that same experience to viewers, and appreciate the great partnership with Paramount Network that allows us to do it.”

Ink Master and Ink Master: Grudge Match are produced for Paramount Network by Truly Original (Deal or No Deal, Swamp People, The Real Housewives of Atlanta) with Glenda Hersh, Steven Weinstock and Andrea Richter serving as executive producers.

Ink Master: Grudge Match joins Paramount Network’s roster of unscripted series which is led by companion series, Ink Master, and the long-running Bar Rescue (recently-renewed for a seventh season), along with the Emmy-nominated Lip Sync Battle and the recent reboot of Wife Swap. In addition, Bar Rescue spin-off series, Marriage Rescue, will premiere on June 2.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2019 at 2:37 AM, azshadowwalker said:

That Grudge Match spin-off looks terrible. I skipped last season over that bullshit. Why would I watch an entire series based on the same tiresome dynamic? 

I hope the ratings are dreadful and they stop thinking they need more of that on the regular show.

• Love 1

The Ink Box Challenge pits two of the male/female coaches against each other in a 10-minute surprise art contest (finger painting, modeling clay, crayons, etc.)

Everyone can probably guess which of the past artists was was taunting and talking smack during the challenge.

• Peck/Nunez
  • Sausage/Duffy
  • Megan Jean/James Vaughn
  • Sarah Miller/Bubba
  • Jime/Kelly Doty
  • DJ/Katie McGowan
  • Nikki/Josh Payne
  • Ryan Ashley/Joey Hamilton

Fun to see most of them being their regular, non-show selves. I found Sausage to be kind of charming.

• Love 2
On 5/7/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mateony said:

‘Ink Master’ Renewed For Two More Seasons; Spinoff ‘Grudge Match’ Ordered By Paramount Network

“The popularity of tattoo culture is at an all-time high, so I am thrilled to expand the incredibly successful Ink Master franchise across multiple platforms and touchpoints for our fans,” said Keith Cox, president, Development and Production for Paramount Network and TV Land. “Each new season of Ink Master brings forth heightened interpersonal drama and the stakes will be raised yet again in season 12’s Battle Of The Sexes and the fall premiere of Grudge Match. Additionally, the new YouTube channel will feature the most infamous moments from past seasons, content from upcoming seasons and exclusives that fans won’t want to miss.”

I don't want the dang interpersonal drama - I just want to see all of the incredible talent and amazing tattoos! UGH! No wonder Grudge Match is a thing. 

• Love 4

Haven't there been stories of sexual harassment regarding Peck, especially in the early seasons? I seem to remember that, but am open to being corrected. I just remember reading something and feeling like he should have been shitcanned a long time ago. 

ETA: I went back to the first page, and found the link. Refers to both him and Nunez as "proud bigots and misogynists".

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/the-underbelly-reality-tv

Edited by azshadowwalker
Added link
11 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Haven't there been stories of sexual harassment regarding Peck, especially in the early seasons? I seem to remember that, but am open to being corrected. I just remember reading something and feeling like he should have been shitcanned a long time ago. 

Apparently yes - although it is the first i heard about it (am a more recent Ink Master watcher) Katie Sellergren has been speaking out about him for a while...

https://www.th-ink.co.uk/2020/01/06/boys-club/

She posted to some FB groups which is how I found out but fb doesn't let you share posts from a group page...

• Love 1

Watching the artists "sketch" their tattoos in the last episode got me thinking... does anyone know what devices they use? And what programs? I just kind of assumed some kind of iPad running Gimp or Photoshop, but that doesn't seem quite right.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 3:44 PM, Charlesman said:

YES PLEASE!!!

I posted on the other thread that I wished they would get the green-haired girl - is her name Kelly Doty?  Or Ryan of course.  Or even Kat Von D.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I posted on the other thread that I wished they would get the green-haired girl - is her name Kelly Doty?  Or Ryan of course.  Or even Kat Von D.

Kat Von D. ? The ex of Peck ? With the same ideas than he has ? Thanks, but no, thanks ! But Ryan or Kelly ? YESSSS !

• Love 3

Ink Master's future may be in doubt

Apparently they are rebranding TNN Spike The Paramount Network into The Paramount Movie Network with more movies and made for TV movies and less reality TV. 

Lip Sync Battle and Bar Rescue (bleh) are being moved to other Viacom networks, but the article says Ink Master is going to get cancelled.

Lip Sync Battle and Bar Rescue will continue, but will be moved elsewhere in ViacomCBS’ empire. Unscripted fare like Wife Swap, Battle of the Fittest Couples and Ink Master will be cancelled, while the fate of Michael Chiklis’ upcoming Coyote drama remains TBD.

No Face Off was a Sci Fi show, on that network. While it was a great show, it was getting a bit long in the tooth by the time cancellation happened. 

I suspect COVID would have killed it if SciFi hadn't. 

Ink Master is also getting a bit long in the tooth, but was a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine to watch. I suspect all of its spinoff shows are also canned now. I wonder if losing Peck was a factor in the cancellation? 

IMO they should've taken advantage of his departure and really shaken up the judging panel in general. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

No Face Off was a Sci Fi show, on that network. While it was a great show, it was getting a bit long in the tooth by the time cancellation happened. 

I suspect COVID would have killed it if SciFi hadn't. 

Ink Master is also getting a bit long in the tooth, but was a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine to watch. I suspect all of its spinoff shows are also canned now. I wonder if losing Peck was a factor in the cancellation? 

IMO they should've taken advantage of his departure and really shaken up the judging panel in general. 

Well, we'll have to disagree about Face Off (and you are right - but it is hard for me to keep up with the revolving door or network names!).  I also viewed Ink Master as a guilty pleasure, plus I truly enjoy watching people who are good at something they are passionate about (which is why I liked both of these shows).  It is no wonder that people are leaving cable networks in droves - why pay a lot of money for crap programming?

• Love 1

I don't think there's any disagreement with Face Off. I loved the show and watched it until the end; but if you look in the older threads for it, people were saying the talent pool was drying up a bit and I'd agree with that. Still, if it was still on, I'd certainly still be watching it. Like Forged in Fire, it's great to have a competition where the contestants aren't pitted against eachother. Cooperation and friendliness was encouraged as much as doing your best work. 

Ink Master certainly had some more years in it, and while COVID is certainly making it harder to produce, there's no reason it couldn't have come back next year when (hopefully) things are more back to normal. 

• Love 4