Type keyword(s) to search

Season 13 Spoilers, Speculation and Anticipation

• Start Topic

Figured now that S12 is finished- and wow what a finish that is- it's time to get the ball rolling on the S13 thread.

Especially now that we've got a whole summer to figure out just what kind of trap Scratch set up for the team- and, is Reid and his mother safe?

In addition to the usual S13 spoilers, speculation and other news, this is the place where we can discuss how things are going in S13 in general and to discuss the specific arcs- separate from whatever happens in the specific episodes.

Scratch as the big bad for S13 might be fun. Hopefully this offseason won't be as chaotic as the last one (sorry to bring back bad memories), meaning the show can plan better what they want to do with Scratch instead of the randomness of S12.

I also think this means, no matter what, we're getting to 300 episodes (because I'm pretty sure CBS will at least want to hit that milestone), so there will be a S14. Whether or not S14 is a very short season depends on how S13 unfolds.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, alihart41 said:

Interview with Erica Messer about the finale and next season: http://www.tvguide.com/news/criminal-minds-season-12-finale-postmortem/

They might stretch Scratch out until the Season 14 (!) premiere, which would be the 300th episode.

Ffffffffffffff*!   Please just end this sad charade that is Mr Scratch already, EM. 

I'm starting to think this continued stretching out of the Scratch storyline isn't because they are trying to ratchet up the suspense and intrigue about him & his villainy... they just simply don't know what or how to do a big endgame for him.  It isn't a 'slow burn', its just a bad case of indecision, second-guessing, and procrastination.  *sad-shrugging emoji goes here*

• Love 1

My brain is kinda running with things here, but I'm wondering if the 'trap' set for the team by Scratch is just a misdirect.  He wants Reid alone/isolated and the team - at least some of them - will be recuperating & rehabbing after the wreck.

The only thing keeping me from jumping all in on this theory with both feet, is the fact we just came off a 'big' Reid arc.  Would they follow that up with another arc based on his character, no matter how long or short it would be?

• Love 1

I like that idea for a great premiere! I also think that because of the wreck involving (but probably not badly injuring) all the BAU, Reid will have to be immediately reinstated to help at least stabilize the situation.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, normasm said:

I like that idea for a great premiere! I also think that because of the wreck involving (but probably not badly injuring) all the BAU, Reid will have to be immediately reinstated to help at least stabilize the situation.

Yes yes and yes. And probably he get to lead the team for few episodes while Emily recovers. I would like to see him as a leader for a short term next season.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ReidGirl said:

Yes yes and yes. And probably he get to lead the team for few episodes while Emily recovers. I would like to see him as a leader for a short term next season.

I was thinking the same thing.  Unless they bring in a whole new character to lead the team, then Reid is next - and most likely- in line (because Rossi doesn't want it).

• Love 3

I think the start of the season may see the FBI still upset with Reid for violating policy re: crossing borders.  Don't think they'll be asking him to lead anything for a while.  But I hope he gets a chance, later in the season.

• Love 1
On 11/05/2017 at 4:35 AM, Danielg342 said:

Scratch as the big bad for S13 might be fun. Hopefully this offseason won't be as chaotic as the last one (sorry to bring back bad memories), meaning the show can plan better what they want to do with Scratch instead of the randomness of S12.

I also think this means, no matter what, we're getting to 300 episodes (because I'm pretty sure CBS will at least want to hit that milestone), so there will be a S14. Whether or not S14 is a very short season depends on how S13 unfolds.

My thinking on the 300 episode was more along the lines of them getting an extended S13.  Remember the only need 1 episode, and it has happened with CM before where the initial order of 22 was extended to 24, if I recall correctly.  I feel that is the most likely scenario, that they go out on 300.  But hey, what do I know.  I made this suggestion on another thread and got told off :)

7 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

My brain is kinda running with things here, but I'm wondering if the 'trap' set for the team by Scratch is just a misdirect.  He wants Reid alone/isolated and the team - at least some of them - will be recuperating & rehabbing after the wreck.

The only thing keeping me from jumping all in on this theory with both feet, is the fact we just came off a 'big' Reid arc.  Would they follow that up with another arc based on his character, no matter how long or short it would be?

To be honest I wondered about that as well. Although I wondered about Garcia.  I mean she is sort of on her own in the office now and we have seen previous bad guys able to saunter into the building - The Replicator anyone.  I have to say, the security or lack of I should say is shocking!!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ReidGirl said:

If Scratch can kill Prentiss, I will be a happy camper. Or, maybe not kill her. Just as long as she's not the unit chief for a little while. 

45 minutes ago, Hotchgirl18 said:

If Scratch can kill Prentiss, I will be a happy camper. Or, maybe not kill her. Just as long as she's not the unit chief for a little while. 

Do you not like Prestiss because she took Hotch's position, or is there some character flaw I haven't seen yet?  I'm currently on S4.

So far I think she's an okay Chief.  I appreciate the extra lengths she went thru to get Reid out of prison, and rescue his mother (Hotch probably wouldn't have seen the judge, and he definitely wouldn't have put out the Amber.  But I think Hotch would've had the team working more actively to get Reid out sooner).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

I think Hotch would've had the team working more actively to get Reid out sooner

I think Emily should have- and likely would have- done this too. I see this as the fault of the writers, who shouldn't have someone act "by the books" before suddenly deciding to go rogue, at least not without an explanation.

I think if there was Hotch instead of Prentiss, he'd game the legal system and see who can help him out quickly, like he did in "200" and "Profiling 101'.

2 hours ago, PMPA said:

My thinking on the 300 episode was more along the lines of them getting an extended S13.

I could see that happening too, perhaps with CM getting an "ending movie" like CSI did.

Maybe even with a blockbuster (okay that might be too hopeful).

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Danielg342 said:

I think Emily should have- and likely would have- done this too. I see this as the fault of the writers, who shouldn't have someone act "by the books" before suddenly deciding to go rogue, at least not without an explanation.

I think if there was Hotch instead of Prentiss, he'd game the legal system and see who can help him out quickly, like he did in "200" and "Profiling 101'.

I could see that happening too, perhaps with CM getting an "ending movie" like CSI did.

Maybe even with a blockbuster (okay that might be too hopeful).

I cant say I ever watched CSI much, which is odd because I one time I was about to start a degree in forensics....then again, from friends of mine who work in that field, they will tell you they never ever watch it.  I just never got into any other show like I did CM.  So they ended CSI with a movie.  Interesting.

Hotch did 'go rogue' or at least bend things considerably on many occasions, it was just not as obvious as what Prentiss did in this latest episode.  My favorite is what he did, although we do not see it, at the end of 'Pleasure is my Business'.  I wont say what in case Roamyn has not got to that episode yet :)  But that was so satisfying. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

Do you not like Prestiss because she took Hotch's position, or is there some character flaw I haven't seen yet?  I'm currently on S4.

So far I think she's an okay Chief.  I appreciate the extra lengths she went thru to get Reid out of prison, and rescue his mother (Hotch probably wouldn't have seen the judge, and he definitely wouldn't have put out the Amber.  But I think Hotch would've had the team working more actively to get Reid out sooner).

Yes. I hate her because she took Hotch 's position. And she can't lead the team. She refused to help Reid until the last two episodes. Probably because she was too busy proving how "rogue and tough" she is. I'm surprised she hasn't taken Garcia's tech position yet, like she tried to do in the last episode. Oh wait. Let's just rid everyone of their jobs and make SUPER Emily Prentiss a "one woman BAU" Since she's clearly "capable" Hotch would've had this team WORKING their ASSES off to save Reid. But Prentiss doesn't care. Ever since she stole Hotch's job, she turned into someone I don't recognize. She is not and never will be Aaron Hotchner and she should give up. 

2 hours ago, PMPA said:

I cant say I ever watched CSI much, which is odd because I one time I was about to start a degree in forensics....then again, from friends of mine who work in that field, they will tell you they never ever watch it.  I just never got into any other show like I did CM.  So they ended CSI with a movie.  Interesting.

Hotch did 'go rogue' or at least bend things considerably on many occasions, it was just not as obvious as what Prentiss did in this latest episode.  My favorite is what he did, although we do not see it, at the end of 'Pleasure is my Business'.  I wont say what in case Roamyn has not got to that episode yet :)  But that was so satisfying. 

Remember, if SUPERwoman Emily Prentiss goes rogue, it's okay. It should be celebrated.  If Hotch does it, it's BAD and the commities investigate him. 

17 minutes ago, Hotchgirl18 said:
4 hours ago, roamyn said:So far I think she's an okay Chief.  I appreciate the extra lengths she went thru to get Reid out of prison, and rescue his mother (Hotch probably wouldn't have seen the judge, and he definitely wouldn't have put out the Amber.  But I think Hotch would've had the team working more actively to get Reid out sooner).

Yes. I hate her because she took Hotch 's position. And she can't lead the team. She refused to help Reid until the last two episodes. Probably because she was too busy proving how "rogue and tough" she is. I'm surprised she hasn't taken Garcia's tech position yet, like she tried to do in the last episode. Oh wait. Let's just rid everyone of their jobs and make SUPER Emily Prentiss a "one woman BAU" Since she's clearly "capable" Hotch would've had this team WORKING their ASSES off to save Reid. But Prentiss doesn't care. Ever since she stole Hotch's job, she turned into someone I don't recognize. She is not and never will be Aaron Hotchner and she should give up. 

You're first quote isn't really fair.  She didn't steal Hotch's job.  She was offered it in S3, but almost quit because she didn't want it he way Strauss was offering it to her.

i agree to the part abt helping Reid, tho.

And she didn't try to take Garcia's job.  She asked her to leave so that Garcia wouldn't get in trouble if the brass came down on her, because of the Amber.  She was protecting Garcia.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, roamyn said:

You're first quote isn't really fair.  She didn't steal Hotch's job.  She was offered it in S3, but almost quit because she didn't want it he way Strauss was offering it to her.

i agree to the part abt helping Reid, tho.

And she didn't try to take Garcia's job.  She asked her to leave so that Garcia wouldn't get in trouble if the brass came down on her, because of the Amber.  She was protecting Garcia.

Oh I remember season there. Nine years later, she takes it again for real.

Actually, she accepted the job, after it was left vacant, when its occupant went into witness protection.  Unless we're positing that Emily is Mr. Scratch, she didn't take anything.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, PMPA said:

So they ended CSI with a movie.  Interesting.

Technically it was renewed for a 16th season comprising of one, two-hour episode, but, for all intents and purposes, it was a movie. Many of the show's former stars- including Marg Helgenberger and William Petersen- returned for it.

It's how I would imagine CM would go out, if S13 does not go well. S14 would be a final "movie", with the team catching Mr. Scratch. Hopefully with Hotch back in tow, maybe with Elle and Morgan coming back too.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Technically it was renewed for a 16th season comprising of one, two-hour episode, but, for all intents and purposes, it was a movie. Many of the show's former stars- including Marg Helgenberger and William Petersen- returned for it.

It's how I would imagine CM would go out, if S13 does not go well. S14 would be a final "movie", with the team catching Mr. Scratch. Hopefully with Hotch back in tow, maybe with Elle and Morgan coming back too.

We need to get Hotch back. That's the main thing. 

7 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I would despise for Scratch to still be in any way involved in this show for season 14.

Just now, Danielg342 said:

Not even if S14 was a two-hour finale movie?

That would mean that we'd have to deal with Scratch all throughout season 13. I wouldn't last that long. I'm really not enjoying this show nearly as much as I used to, and Scratch becoming like Pelant would very easily push me over the edge. If he's not gone in 13x01, I don't know if I'll continue to watch.

• Love 1

My hope would be that, with better focus, Scratch can be better written. At most, I would want him to only be a one-season guy, so any involvement in S14 would have to end in S14E01 (or S14E02 in the case of a "finale movie"). Anything more and it becomes ridiculous.

I certainly believe Scratch has potential- the writers just have to realize it. A guy as smart as him could certainly cover a season's worth of events, but only if the writers realize Scratch should have loftier goals than taunting the BAU. I would agree that if all we got were more episodes like "Mirror Image", the writers shouldn't bother with Scratch at all.

I guess I'm behind the idea of "Scratch 13" because I thought he'd be the primary guy in S12 had the Hotch situation not occured. Given that, I think he should have the opportunity to be the Big Bad in S13.

• Love 1

Emily was never offered Hotch's job in season three.  Strauss wanted Emily to be her personal snitch and dig up any dirty on Hotch so that Strauss had just cause to fire him.  Emily didn't want to have anything to do with that.  She remained loyal to the team and Hotch so she quit.  That shows the strength of her character.  

As to the part about helping Reid.  There was nothing she could do about this.  The writers wanted it to play out that way and the character had to do what they wrote.  If Hotch was still there, he would have been doing exactly the same thing.  Sometimes people (and I'm saying this in general and am not pointing at anyone) think the characters are real and can do whatever they want.  They aren't and must do what is written in the script.

She also did not steal his job this season.  Hotch resigned and recommended that she take the position.  That showed he has the confidence that she would do a good job leading the team and she has. Also Emily wasn't trying to take Garcia's job.  She was protecting her.  If there is any backlash from issuing the amber alert, it will fall solely on her.  That's what a good boss does, they protect their team.

Hotch is not coming back.  It's done and it's not going to change any time in the near future.

• Love 11

Nos. 1-3, definitely. Heck, even if Hotch is back, a more assertive Reid would be a strong plus.

As for No. 4, I just want Emily to be better, and better written. I can give the writers a pass because the character was reintroduced haphazardly, but for S13, they have no excuses.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Nos. 1-3, definitely. Heck, even if Hotch is back, a more assertive Reid would be a strong plus.

As for No. 4, I just want Emily to be better, and better written. I can give the writers a pass because the character was reintroduced haphazardly, but for S13, they have no excuses.

It would be a strong plus. 

And I just don't want her as the unit chief. 

16 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

I don't know what the numbers mean?

I too want Emily to be better written. She is my favourite character, but I haven't been overly impressed with her this season. I've already written at length about the specific things I'd like to change - namely for Rossi to stop being de facto team leader - but I'm really hoping she goes back to her old self for season 13. Part of the issue is the interchangeability of the team members and their lines, as it's hard for someone to be the "leader" if they are all interchangeable, but at this point I really feel like I'm beating a dead horse in bringing up that point again. Regardless, I do love having Emily back on my screen.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, secnarf said:

but I'm really hoping she goes back to her old self for season 13.

I don't think Emily can go back to her old self.  She's no longer just one of team, she's the boss so she has to take a step back from them.  She's still their friend, but she has to maintain the proper distance from them.  She has a lot more responsibilities to deal with and that is going to make her more serious.  And maybe that was what the writers were aiming for, showing her off her game because becoming Unit Chief was the last thing on her mind when she came back to help the team.  Now she's more sure of her footing as we saw with some of the decisions she made it the later episodes.  The old Emily would never told Penelope to be quiet, the boss Emily would and did.  I'm looking forward to more of her kickass take charge boss next season.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, CrimeFan12 said:

Emily was never offered Hotch's job in season three.  Strauss wanted Emily to be her personal snitch and dig up any dirty on Hotch so that Strauss had just cause to fire him.  Emily didn't want to have anything to do with that.  She remained loyal to the team and Hotch so she quit.  That shows the strength of her character.  

I just finished up S3.  Strauss told her that the job could be hers, if she played her cards right (i.e. Snitched).  To me, that's basically offering her the job.

15 minutes ago, roamyn said:

I just finished up S3.  Strauss told her that the job could be hers, if she played her cards right (i.e. Snitched).  To me, that's basically offering her the job.

I could have swore that Strauss told her if she wanted to remain on the team, a team she lobbied hard to get on, she had to snitch. But I will get the dvd out later and check just to settle my mind. :-D 

Strauss said that Emily had her "eye on upper management", and that's why she (Strauss) recruited her to shake things up. Emily obviously came to think the team as it was, with Hotch at the helm, was more important than her ambitions at the time. She resigned rather than "whisper in" Strauss's ear, as Hotch himself said. 

It was Hotch who pulled Emily back into the BAU, because he saw her actions as demonstration of loyalty to team, which means subjugating self.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, normasm said:

Strauss said that Emily had her "eye on upper management", and that's why she (Strauss) recruited her to shake things up. Emily obviously came to think the team as it was, with Hotch at the helm, was more important than her ambitions at the time. She resigned rather than "whisper in" Strauss's ear, as Hotch himself said. 

It was Hotch who pulled Emily back into the BAU, because he saw her actions as demonstration of loyalty to team, which means subjugating self.

Cool beans.  Thanks.

• Love 1

Even though it was grossly mishandled quite a bit [IMHO], I'm not sure how eager I am to jump back into the usual 'UnsubCotW' style that Criminal Minds is best known for.  I seriously doubt they will make the "hunt for Scratch" a nearly-season-long serial, so unless another character gets a long arc like Reid - not imprisoned, though, that would be just way too repetitive - its gonna be kinda 'ho hum'.

No idea if they plan on adding any more characters or not, but as of right now - when everyone's back and healthy enough to work - there'll be 7 SSA's out in the field each week.  That's a baker's half-dozen, IE a lot.  I remember the early season's when they got by just fine with 5 of them (Hotch/Gideon- or Rossi/Reid/Morgan/Elle-or Prentiss).  If they make the cases harder/larger to solve, then OK, but if not, then there's just 'too many hands in the cookie jar', so to speak.

• Love 4

I've wondered if the additional SSA (wasn't Damon Gupton foisted upon them?) may be to shore up the numbers to accommodate Aisha Tyler's absences for her other commitments; Matthew's contractual October off absence and perhaps allow the others time off now and again too. Not sure if Joe or Paget have other projects that they'd require time off for, but it would make it feasible for one or the other to be away (and conveniently, Rossi would be off visiting Joy and Prentiss would be off seeing Mark if they're still together).

(not happy about Reid being gone again...)

• Love 4

I know one of the conditions Paget had was that she would also be able to do Another Period.  I think that is why in the one episode she flew to London, she was shooting the other show.

11 minutes ago, CrimeFan12 said:

I know one of the conditions Paget had was that she would also be able to do Another Period.  I think that is why in the one episode she flew to London, she was shooting the other show.

Yeah they're gonna need to come up with better excuses for that. Telephones are much cheaper than a round-trip flight from DC to London.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Yeah they're gonna need to come up with better excuses for that. Telephones are much cheaper than a round-trip flight from DC to London.

and for nothing. What did it accomplish?

25 minutes ago, secnarf said:

5 minutes ago, ReidFan said:

and for nothing. What did it accomplish?

Yeah, that was a big writing fail.

... unless we're supposed to 'read between the lines' and she needed to go to London for a quick "cup of sugar" from Mark?  (or is he supposed to be in DC with her now??)

• Love 2

well it DID get her out of the majority of the episode.

But I meant, was she not conferring with someone about something that was gonna help Reid's case? (moot point now, obviously, but I just wondered) I suppose it doesn't matter anymore.

On a similar vein though...Walker's people had proof that Scratch was in Honduras. So, (here's the solution for not having Scratch on CM anymore for those who want him gone!) can they not pass this off to CMBB then?  :D and get him the hell out of our hair?

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, ReidFan said:

On a similar vein though...Walker's people had proof that Scratch was in Honduras. So, (here's the solution for not having Scratch on CM anymore for those who want him gone!) can they not pass this off to CMBB then?  :D and get him the hell out of our hair?

While they do that they can also take Walker and Tara with them. I wont mind at all. I think Reid, Rossi, JJ, Emily, Alvez and Garcia would be enough to be honest. But again as everyone pointed out they have so many of them to cover actors who have other commitments.

I can not watch "Reidless" episodes.

Edited by ReidGirl
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, ReidGirl said:

While they do that they can also take Walker and Tara with them. I wont mind at all. I think Reid, Rossi, JJ, Emily, Alvez and Garcia would be enough to be honest. But again as everyone pointed out they have so many of them to cover actors who have other commitments.

Best yet - if do something to 'trim the fat' in a lot of episodes - have the core group [Prentiss-Reid-JJ-Rossi-Alvez-Garcia] for the majority of episodes, but only add in Tara (Tyler) and Walker (Gupton) when needing to cover for main actor absences in certain rare episodes.

[I honestly don't want to consider Alvez as part of the 'main-or-core group' because the (seemingly potential) Garvez thing - for some odd reason - just vexes me something fierce, but I guess he seems the best fit of the three "newbies".... even if he is just a semi-Morgan!clone replacement]

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Best yet - if do something to 'trim the fat' in a lot of episodes - have the core group [Prentiss-Reid-JJ-Rossi-Alvez-Garcia] for the majority of episodes, but only add in Tara (Tyler) and Walker (Gupton) when needing to cover for main actor absences in certain rare episodes.

Yup love that idea of walker and Tara being there only to cover for others. I actually did not even realise when Tara was missing in few episodes. And I don't see what Walker brings to the team.

11 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I honestly don't want to consider Alvez as part of the 'main-or-core group' because the (seemingly potential) Garvez thing - for some odd reason - just vexes me something fierce, but I guess he seems the best fit of the three "newbies".... even if he is just a semi-Morgan!clone replacement]

Yup same exact thoughts on Alvez. 

I seriously hope they don't go in that (Garvez) direction and continue to show a bit mature Garcia  like in last 2 episodes.

Again, I need Reid in every episode ;). Also if he is not going to be in few episodes, I wish they would use better excuses like he was called to consult on a case where they could use his expertise and not his mom excuse again.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, ReidGirl said:

I can not watch "Reidless" episodes.

Hahaha. A "Reidless" CM. That should be....interesting.