Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: In Words, Drown I

• Start Topic

Zapata's transgressions catch up to her, sending her to jail alongside a potentially powerful Sandstorm asset named Devon. Weller and the team must go to exceptional lengths to free her.

Ooh, this was a good one. Lots of progress made.

I was extremely pleased that Zapata's arrest was actually a gambit rather than about the coach/Freddie business. I enjoyed the plot and Zapata herself. I felt like she was an actual player for once, rather than just there to supply negative comments. Going undercover, fighting, and now looking to go rogue to get shit done. I get both of their arguments; Weller doesn't want to go down the rabbit hole of off the books tactics (the same ones that were used to torture Jane), and Zapata doesn't care how it gets done so long as the western hemisphere remains on the planet. As for Ronda Rousey, I don't know anything about her other than that she's not a professional actor... I thought she did a good job.

I was surprised that both of Roman's big secrets came to light in the same episode. I'm not too worried about Weller/Roman; Weller's a stick in the mud but he'll find a way to accept him like he did with Jane. Roman remembering Jane erasing his memory, though... yikes. He refused to kill her when Shepherd tested him, so I was shocked to see him attack her with the knife (and it looks like the fight will continue in the next episode). Their relationship has been so wonderful to watch so I'm anxious about seeing them on the rocks.

I don't blame Patterson for being so suspicious... how can she possibly trust anyone? And I'm not sure if them repeating that Borden's dead is supposed to be taken as truth or not. No body, no death, and I remember that he was eyeing a window before the bomb went off. I felt like they closed that chapter well but perhaps Patterson will get to have her closure one day. I liked the new lab assistant (another The LA Complex alumni), hope we see him again.

There were a couple of goofy moments but the only one I remember right now is when Jane announced herself when she had the upper hand with the two Sandstorm operatives. Why the heck would you yell "FBI!"? Pretty sure they knew who you were. (I know it was so that Jane and Devon could fight... but seriously.) Actually, now that I think of it, the Sandstorm ops should have recognized Jane and had some words with her about whose side she's on and all that. Maybe that will happen next week.

I've been wondering what they were going to do re: going through with Sandstorm's plan and what the series would be about once the situation goes one way or the other. The latest promo makes it look like at least some of Sandstorm's plan will be executed. They better not be lying about "revealing everything" because I really want to know why Weller is/was so key to the big plan.

• Love 3

Well, Rousey is not a world class actress, but she did alright with the role they gave her.  Must have upset her psyche a bit to have to take a beat down from lowly street thugs in the prison, but she made up for it a bit in her fight with Jane.  Nice to see Jane get taken down a peg on her fighting skills, if only temporarily. 

Is Patterson losing it, or is Stewart a plant?  Or is he just a run-of-th-mill incompetent?  I ask the third because no way, no how does a new tech download updates to a computer system without asking the boss.  No matter how smart you are.

So Roman is all "changed," yet he's going to knife his sister because he remembered SHE wiped his memory? And LOL at deadly assassins who cut themselves slicing a tomato. I'm not combat trained and I've managed to slice up dinner every day of my life without cutting any body parts. I thought the boyfriend shot Rhonda dead center at the end, so she's still alive? And Zapata gets tossed in prison gen pop as soon as she's arrested, no booking, no paperwork, no "one phone call," no ambulance-chasing lawyers? WTH show. The cops had to be in on it, so why make the escape so difficult? Oh yeah ... drama. And who was this Emma that Roman killed? I remember Weller used to live with his sister and her kid; was that Emma? If so, where's the nephew? And what about Weller's kid, has it been born in Colorado yet? So many questions!

And I'm totally with Patterson, that IT guy who "upgraded" the OS just because he wanted to is a plant for sure. In any case, he needs to be fired, but now.

It didn't even register with me that that con was Ronda Rousey.  I don't follow her world and I do recall hearing about how she got her ass beat in something like 20 seconds.  Then I recall her campaigning for the Captain Marvel movie role.  But that's about it, I did not recognise her.  Is that how she normally looks in real life?  Because the instant I saw that character I just thought she oozed white trash.

I knew Roman would find out eventually that Jane drugged him, but I hope their relationship survives this.  I like their sibling bond, and I want him to join the team full time.  I guess I don't understand why Roman is still under watch after having proved himself to the FBI several times.  They accepted Jane much more readily and she has probably done just as many bad things as Roman.

34 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh yeah ... drama. And who was this Emma that Roman killed? I remember Weller used to live with his sister and her kid; was that Emma? If so, where's the nephew? And what about Weller's kid, has it been born in Colorado yet? So many questions!

And I'm totally with Patterson, that IT guy who "upgraded" the OS just because he wanted to is a plant for sure. In any case, he needs to be fired, but now.

No, "Emma" is Emma Shaw, who was the Wellers' next door neighbour when Weller was growing up.  She was the mother of Taylor Shaw, Weller's friend who was believed to have been Jane.  It turns out that Weller's dad did in fact kill Taylor.  What I can't remember at all was when Emma was killed.  I thought we saw a flashback of adult Jane in the forest spying on Taylor's deathversary memorial and Emma Shaw was there.

I really enjoyed this episode! Lots of action. I thought Ronda Rousey did a great job with her acting part. She is one skilled fighter... No need to have a double for her. I don't know why but when she and Jane fought... I got all excited. I know the character Jane has a double for fights, and that the fights are choreographed, but still... It was awesome.

I had forgotten that Jane was the one to wipe Roman's memory. I know, I know. I was surprised that both Weller learned about Emma Shaw and that Roman remembered who wiped his memory all in one episode.

Patterson's got all the reasons in the world to be suspicious. I don't know if that tech will be a plant or not, but it felt absolutely normal for Patterson to get on his case.

And Zappata? Girl, you were awesome this episode.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The cops had to be in on it, so why make the escape so difficult? Oh yeah ... drama.

Not to mention running across the open field in full view of the towers, but I guess once the power goes off the tower guards lose their vision.  And no one thought twice about a car parked right outside the fenceline, either.

• Love 2

Not much to say about this one, but I'm glad this show keeps giving stuntwomen work.

Glad both secrets are finally out; but I wish Jane had told Roman instead.

Also glad that Zapata got to be in the action this week. I'm kinda disappointed that the arrest wasn't because of her tampering with that evidence, because now we're still waiting for that shoe to drop.

Rolling my eyes at them having to do a real jailbreak because of course they do.

Seriously, let Patterson take a vacation!

On 5/3/2017 at 8:22 PM, omgsowicked said:

I was extremely pleased that Zapata's arrest was actually a gambit rather than about the coach/Freddie business. I enjoyed the plot and Zapata herself. I felt like she was an actual player for once, rather than just there to supply negative comments. Going undercover, fighting, and now looking to go rogue to get shit done.

Me too! I was expecting a drawn out episode of Weller and the team trying to free Zapata. MUCH better. I'm not thrilled by Zapata considering going rogue though. I'm not convinced that it is consistent with her character and it totally came out of nowhere. They've already run Reade and Zapata's characters into the dirt, I'm not interested in them doing some sort of renegade justice together. 

On 5/4/2017 at 9:23 AM, blackwing said:

I knew Roman would find out eventually that Jane drugged him, but I hope their relationship survives this.

It seems like their relationship survives the fight from the previews (or at least that Jane survives which is positive, lol). I was pleasantly surprised that they got rid of both the 'big secrets' in one episode. It makes me hopeful they are going to make Roman part of the FBI team. I really liked that Roman was the one that insisted they tell Weller about what he did. 

On 5/4/2017 at 6:30 AM, paigow said:

Zapata: You think I weigh the same as a fridge????

This was my favorite line of the night! I was thinking the same thing when Weller dragged that fridge over!

I still don't get what the big deal is about Weller's boyhood crush, Taylor, and now Taylor's mom Emma, being killed. I guess Weller cares, but I sure don't. Meanwhile, where's Weller's kid?

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I still don't get what the big deal is about Weller's boyhood crush, Taylor, and now Taylor's mom Emma, being killed.

Sandstorm really is trigger-happy. Taylor's mother would have believed a DNA test the same as Weller did. She hasn't seen her daughter in decades. Not sure why they had to dispose of the mother. And I did feel bad for Kurt when he was talking about Emma.

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Meanwhile, where's Weller's kid?

Chicago? I don't know what the time frame on this show is, so maybe his child hasn't been born yet.

Ah, the episode where Jane learns that keeping secrets never work out!  Now, she's got both Weller and Roman pissed at her.  Although, the latter is much worse then the former.  Sure, it's never fun to have to deal with Weller's growling and snarling, but Roman just went straight for the knife!

After all the hype, Jane vs. Ronda Rousey kind of ended, right when it seemed to be getting started.  I guess they only had a certain amount of time with her.  Still not that good of an actress, but she was fine for what the role needed to be, I guess.  Fight scenes where good, even if I had to pretend that she likely wouldn't have downed everyone in less then a minute, without breaking a sweat, instead of it being close.

Zapata kicks ass undercover, but now she is willing to go rogue, because she believes certain lines have to be cross, that Weller won't, in order to bring down Sandstorm?  Will Reade be involved?

Patterson is becoming unhinged, although really, Stuart, considering how important the computers are to this job, maybe run it by with your boss before you do updates, that could potentially slow down the system.

(edited)
On 5/4/2017 at 11:41 AM, saber5055 said:

So Roman is all "changed," yet he's going to knife his sister because he remembered SHE wiped his memory?

I was a little surprised by that too, but then I realized that Roman probably realizes that his sister has been keeping secrets for a while.  HE is the one that wanted her to come clean about his part in Emma Shaw's death, not Jane.  He also knows now that SHE is the reason that he was caught, locked up and his memory wiped and yet she told him it was Shepherd who did it to him.  He only has fragments of memory, and so I can understand his anger.  That being said, I'm surprised that the writers didn't have more of a dialogue-infused reaction between Roman and Jane rather than him going quickly for a knife.  It could be that in that moment, he thinks that Jane is the liar and not Shepherd.  I could be wrong, but has Roman ever had a memory of Shepherd hurting him?  I don't think he's remembered those moments.  So he only has Jane's word for what she's done to them.  

They better not screw up Roman.  He's my favorite male character.

As for Zapata, she was good while undercover, but Weller should have handed her her ass in the way she spoke to him.  She acts like she has all the answers and going rogue is going to make everything better.  I feel like the writers dumb down Weller for some unknown reason.  A subordinate should NOT be taking to her supervisor the way she spoke to Weller, and he shouldn't have allowed it.

Edited by Bishop
  • Love 1

So neither Weller nor Jane think to check the trunk of the car in the scrapyard before declaring that Zapata wasn't there? 

I was half expecting the next scene to be her banging frantically on the trunk so they'd hear her!