Type keyword(s) to search

Country Music, Y'all!

• Start Topic

The next two number ones come courtesy of country's one time wild child (wild woman?--in any case, this is one of her best songs), and of one of the decade's best neo-traditionalists.

71. Tanya Tucker--"Down to My Last Teardrop"

#1 on  Radio & Records the week of August 30th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/04/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-tanya-tucker-down-to-my-last-teardrop/

72. Mark Chesnutt--"Your Love is a Miracle"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of September 6th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/04/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-mark-chesnutt-your-love-is-a-miracle/

• Love 1

The Sirius list continues on (also, I don't really agree that this first entry is too high, but whatever):

#70: Reba McEntire--“The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia”

#69: Glen Campbell--“Gentle On My Mind”

#68: Blake Shelton--“God Gave Me You”

#67: Johnny Horton--“The Battle of New Orleans”

#66: Dolly Parton--“9 to 5”

#65: The Chicks--“Landslide”

#64: Johnny Cash--“Daddy Sang Bass”

#63: Lady A--“Need You Now”

#62: Garth Brooks--“If Tomorrow Never Comes”

#61: Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson--“Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/05/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-70-61/

• Love 1

The next country number one is another from a big star of the early nineties, followed by the first number one by an artist who never reached great heights of fame, but has a few songs that fans remember fondly.

74. Doug Stone--"I Thought it Was You"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of September 20th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/08/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-doug-stone-i-thought-it-was-you/

75. Lionel Cartwright--"Leap of Faith"

#1 on Billboard the week of September 21st, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/08/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-lionel-cartwright-leap-of-faith/

A superstar's lead single off his third album reaches the penthouse, as does a ballad by a leading neo-traditionalist.

76. Garth Brooks--"Rodeo"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of September 27th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/09/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-garth-brooks-rodeo/

77. Ricky Van Shelton--"Keep it Between the Lines"

#1 on Billboard for two weeks from October 12th, 1991-October 19th, 1991.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of October 4th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/09/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-ricky-van-shelton-keep-it-between-the-lines/

To quote Kevin John Coyne once again, "950 down, 50 to go."

#60: Darius Rucker--“Alright”

#59: Brooks & Dunn--“My Maria”

#58: Patsy Cline--“Walking After Midnight”

#57: Zac Brown Band--“Chicken Fried”

#56: Willie Nelson--“Always On My Mind”

#55: Eli Young Band--“Crazy Girl”

#54: Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton--“Islands in the Stream”

#53: Johnny Cash--“Sunday Morning Coming Down”

#52: Taylor Swift--“Tim McGraw”

#51: David Allan Coe--“You Never Even Called Me By My Name”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/09/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-60-51/

As always, the CU commentary speaks the truth and the Sirius list is just out there in some alternate universe (one in which I'm glad I don't live).

What one of them said about #55 applies to so many in the top 100:  "It’s like they forgot the '9' before [the ranking]." 

Of these ten, the only one I think they possibly got about right is "Crazy", but my knee-jerk reaction was that it was criminally undervalued, because seeing songs that don't even belong in the top 500 - or on the list at all - in the 50s makes any great song feel like it's ranked too low.  So I have to recalibrate and decide where it should be on a legitimate list of the top 1000 of all time.  Like one of the CU writers said, "This seems pretty correct if you consider it in a vacuum. But that’s hard when so much of this list needs to be jettisoned into the empty vacuum of deep space."

• Love 3

Two more number ones from two natives of Georgia:

79. Travis Tritt--"Anymore"

#1 on Billboard for two weeks from October 26th, 1991-November 2nd, 1991.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of October 18th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/12/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-travis-tritt-anymore/

80. Alan Jackson--"Someday"

#1 on Billboard the week of November 9th, 1991.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of October 25th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/12/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-alan-jackson-someday/

Two late country legends (one of whom had already died by the time this song was released, and at too young an age, at that), get a number one hit together.

81. Keith Whitley and Earl Thomas Conley--"Brotherly Love"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of November 1st, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/13/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-keith-whitley-and-earl-thomas-conley-brotherly-love/

And speaking of late country legends:

The great Nanci Griffith has died at the age of 68. Two of her more famous songs are "Love at the Five and Dime" (made famous by Kathy Mattea) and "Outbound Plane" (made famous by Suzy Bogguss). RIP, Nanci. :'(

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/13/in-memoriam-nanci-griffith-1953-2021/

• Love 1

Another number one song for country music's most iconic band ever.

84. Alabama--"Then Again"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of November 22nd, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/16/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-alabama-then-again/

And now, for a special announcement.

This year's inductees into the Country Music Hall of Fame are:

Recording and/or Touring Musician: Eddie Bayers

Veteran Era Artist: Ray Charles

Recording and/or Touring Musician: Pete Drake

Modern Era Artist: The Judds

Am I still waiting for Dwight Yoakam and ESPECIALLY Tanya Tucker to get in? Of course I am. But I have no complaints here--Ray Charles' induction is especially important and overdue (his 1962 album, Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music, was and is a landmark in the genre that has only very recently been properly recognized as such).

And of course, the Judds ROCK! :D

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/16/country-music-hall-of-fame-class-of-2021-eddie-bayer-ray-charles-peter-drake-and-the-judds/

• Love 1

The next number one was one born out of unspeakable tragedy, although it wasn't originally intended that way. It was apparently already a song that was being considered as a duet with Clint Black, but then--well, you probably know the story about why this song was recorded and released, or at least part of it. I'll let you read the rest below. 

85. Reba McEntire--"For My Broken Heart"

#1 on Billboard for two weeks from December 7th, 1991-December 14th, 1991.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of November 29th, 1991.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/17/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-reba-mcentire-for-my-broken-heart/

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, UYI said:

The next number one was one born out of unspeakable tragedy, although it wasn't originally intended that way. It was apparently already a song that was being considered as a duet with Clint Black, but then--well, you probably know the story about why this song was recorded and released, or at least part of it. I'll let you read the rest below. 

Yeah, it's a generic heartbreak song about the end of a romantic relationship - yawn - but at least the video shows a collection of women who will all be just fine, and the backdrop of Reba's band/crew members' deaths gives her recording a real extra oomph for the portion of the lyrics that could apply to much greater grief such as that and make the "I guess the world ain't gonna stop for my broken heart" despair and ultimately resolve so much more powerful:

Clock's still tickin', life goes on
Radio still plays a song
As I try to put my scattered thoughts in place
And it takes all the strength I've got
To stumble to the coffee pot

• Love 1
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Another number one hit for King George, co-written by Gretchen Peters, who would go on to write some truly great songs for a lot of female country artists that decade.

I wasn't familiar with that George Strait song, but I love Gretchen Peters's acoustic version of "Independence Day".  I also really like her duet with Bryan Adams, "When You Love Someone".

Speaking of "Independence Day", I meant to post this when we got to that section of the rankings but forgot; this Rolling Stone article exploring the song's messy history is a good one.

This is particularly poignant, and I'm really glad Peters was able to reconnect with and reclaim the song to at least some degree:

But with all that’s happened the past 25 years — the programmers’ hesitance, the song becoming McBride’s signature, the co-opting by right-wing figureheads — it can sometimes feel like she’s representing a work of music that’s no longer her own.

She says she still feels a connection to most hits she’s written as her own work of art; “Independence Day,” however, became its own beast.

“All of the permutations it went through — the political misappropriation and all of that  just served to move it more into the public consciousness and less in my life somehow,” says Peters. “I think that’s why it doesn’t feel so much like it belongs to me. It’s hard to know.”

Peters remembers when, on July 4th last year, she came across a blog post written by Zach Schultz, a gay man who had grown up in Kentucky during the Nineties. “Independence Day” was “a staple at every Fourth of July church picnic I ever attended,” he wrote, and like everyone else at those picnics, Schultz interpreted the song as a symbol of patriotism for the holiday.

As an adult, the song took on a new meaning for Schultz — one with a newfound layer of liberation and political intention, for celebrating Independence Day as a day to “freely criticize the policies of my country” that oppress women, migrants and other marginalized groups. “I choose to celebrate not for the America in which we currently live, but for the America I believe we can achieve in the future,” he concluded.

“What he wrote moved me so much because that was where I was coming from, when I wrote it,” says Peters. “That’s what caused me to sit back down at the piano and go, OK, what was I feeling when I wrote this, and how can I get back there? And reading his essay gave me a shove in that direction. Like, this is your song, and this is what it’s about. It’s not about all those other things. It’s not the Fourth of July, it’s not about ‘yay, America,’ it’s about freedom and the incredible bravery of human beings to find their freedom.”

• Love 3

Huh.  I somehow overlooked the #70-61 section when it was posted a couple of weeks ago.  Quite a few ranked too high, and then there's the Blake Shelton entry, which doesn't even belong on the list at all.  How do you even put together a segment in the top 70, sit back and look at it, see songs like "9 to 5" and "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" and say, yes, indeedy, "God Gave Me You" belongs in the mix?!

Also, the CU commentary on Glenn Campbell's "Gentle On My Mind" reminded me that "Rhinestone Cowboy" isn't even on the list, and I'm pissed off about that all over again.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

Huh.  I somehow overlooked the #70-61 section when it was posted a couple of weeks ago.  Quite a few ranked too high, and then there's the Blake Shelton entry, which doesn't even belong on the list at all.  How do you even put together a segment in the top 70, sit back and look at it, see songs like "9 to 5" and "Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" and say, yes, indeedy, "God Gave Me You" belongs in the mix?!

Also, the CU commentary on Glenn Campbell's "Gentle On My Mind" reminded me that "Rhinestone Cowboy" isn't even on the list, and I'm pissed off about that all over again.

Whenever they bring up what isn't on the list or which artists have like one or two songs when they should be represented and respected way the hell more... it makes me livid.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

To be honest, the lack of "Wichita Lineman" bothered me more. I personally LIKE "Rhinestone Cowboy" more, but will concede that "Wichita Lineman" is the objectively better song. 

And they should both be on the list, at least somewhere.

Anyway:

The second number one hit for the genre's biggest duo ever.

87. Brooks & Dunn--"My Next Broken Heart"

#1 on Billboard for two weeks from December 21st, 1991-December 28th, 1991.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of December 13th, 1991. 

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/19/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-brooks-dunn-my-next-broken-heart/

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, UYI said:

To be honest, the lack of "Wichita Lineman" bothered me more. I personally LIKE "Rhinestone Cowboy" more, but will concede that "Wichita Lineman" is the objectively better song. 

I forgot that's not on the list, either.  So it's just "Galveston" and "Gentle On My Mind" representing Glen Campbell's entire career, and "Galveston" is back in the 200s.  The hell?

• Love 3

The final number one country song of 1991/first number one country song of 1992! Also, coincidentally, given our conversation about Glen Campbell above, by an artist from Arkansas, with his breakthrough hit.

88. Collin Raye--"Love, Me"

#1 on Billboard for three weeks from January 4th, 1992-January 18th, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records for four weeks from December 20th, 1991-January 11th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/20/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-collin-raye-love-me/

18 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The fact that it's not here makes this a joke.

That this list was going to be a joke was pretty clearly hinted at in the first ten songs, Connie Smith's single entry on the list  not even making the top 950 was a big indicator of how women were going to be treated, and then proclaiming nearly 800 songs in the history of country music better than Hank Williams's "Lovesick Blues" confirmed the ignorance we were in for from the dudebros at Sirius.

• Love 2

I should say that I do appreciate you guys sticking with me on sharing this list; I knew it was going to be frustrating, but I determined to share it to the end--and we're MUCH closer to the end now. :)

I also think I'm going to stop sharing the nineties number ones list once the Sirius list is done--there doesn't seem to be as much interest for it here, and after the Sirius list, I could see you guys needing a break from this kind of thing/from me, given how much it's clogged up the thread--or how much *I* have clogged up the thread. ;)  But seriously, I think I might need a break in general from doing this, perhaps just to focus on the TV aspects of the forum overall instead.

(Actually, to be honest, I'm thinking of taking a sabbatical from PTV altogether for awhile once this is done--then again, The Conners will be back next month, so maybe I'll wait.) 

If you guys are still interested, maybe, but otherwise you can PM me about it.

I WAS keeping a Spotify playlist of the nineties list, but since Garth Brooks is such a notorious tight ass when it comes to streaming, and even YouTube (none of his videos have ever been posted there), it was missing a lot of songs, and when another song by another artist wasn't on Spotify in its original form, I finally gave up and deleted it altogether. Still, most of them are on there, so I might start it again at some point.

(Please PM me if I do and if you want to hear it, though. My Spotify screen name is my email address username and I'd rather not have that posted here.)

Edited by UYI

Yet another major nineties country star scores his first number one hit:

89. Tracy Lawrence--"Sticks and Stones"

#1 on Billboard the week of January 25th, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of January 10th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/21/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-tracy-lawrence-sticks-and-stones/

Also: 

The LEGENDARY country singer-songwriter Tom T. Hall has passed away. 

In 1968, Jeannie C. Riley (not to be confused with Jeannine Riley, the first Billie Jo Bradley on Petticoat Junction), became the first woman to have a number one hit on both the country chart AND the Billboard Hot 100 with his song, "Harper Valley PTA". 

RIP, Tom!

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/21/in-memoriam-tom-t-hall-1936-2021/

• Love 2

I know the more recent set of songs has been trying for you guys, and it's hard to take this list seriously (I mean, I KNEW it was going to be hard to take seriously and warned y'all going into this about that, but you know what I mean), but we are getting SUPER close to the end now, past the halfway point in fact, and I really DO appreciate you sticking with me throughout this over two year process.

(And like I said, I'll probably stop the nineties number one posts soon to cut down confusion here and to give myself some breathing room--but please, let me know if you're still interested in those posts--if nothing else, I would think it would result in less complaining than this list!)

For what it's worth, Kevin does say there are more "About Right" rankings here than expected, if that helps any. :) 

Anyway, on we go:

#50: Tim McGraw with Faith Hill--“It’s Your Love”

#49: Dave Dudley--“Six Days On the Road”

#48: The Chicks--“Cowboy Take Me Away”

#47: Hank Williams--“Hey Good Lookin’”

#46: Reba McEntire--“Fancy”

#45: Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson--“Good Hearted Woman”

#44: Zac Brown Band--“Colder Weather”

#43: Charley Pride--“Kiss an Angel Good Morning”

#42: Darius Rucker--“Wagon Wheel”

#41: George Strait--“All My Ex’s Live in Texas”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/22/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-50-41/

• Love 1

#50: Tim McGraw with Faith Hill--“It’s Your Love”

Ha:  "Its status as a wedding staple is recognition enough for this sap."

#49: Dave Dudley--“Six Days On the Road”

This is another entry that convinces me the Sirius dudebros assigned an intern to type "old country songs" into a search engine, so they could plop some lesser known oldies into the list and look like they actually have some awareness of country music in the 20th century, but because they don't actually know the songs, they plop them in weird places on the list.  This is not top 50 in this or any other universe.

#42: Darius Rucker--“Wagon Wheel”

Ya know, it's Sunday morning, I had to get up early, I haven't had a Bloody Mary yet, it's overcast which puts my mood right in the shitter ... I'm not even going to get into why they might keep randomly shoving Darius Rucker songs where they don't belong.

But, hey, half of these ten are about right.  It's the top 50, so we should be debating whether the songs are in the right order, not dealing with songs that are 200 slots too high, though.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Constant Viewer said:

I like the 90s, list because the early 90s was when I went through my country stage and it's nice to remember songs I haven't thought about in forever.

Thanks for letting me know! It will continue to the end of the decade, and possibly into the 2000s as well. :)

Meanwhile:

NEW KACEY MUSGRAVES ALBUM INCOMING! SEPTEMBER 10TH. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

We have a number one for a very popular country band of the era, and a duet between Travis Tritt and the future Mr. Connie Smith. ;)

91. Sawyer Brown--"The Dirt Road"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of January 24th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/24/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-sawyer-brown-the-dirt-road/

92. Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart--"The Whiskey Ain't Workin'"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of January 31st, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/24/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-travis-tritt-and-marty-stuart-the-whiskey-aint-workin/

• Love 1

Garth Brooks had ten consecutive number one country hits in the first few years of his career. This is the last one; whatever ones he got after this were non-consecutive.

93. Garth Brooks--"What She's Doing Now"

#1 on Billboard for four weeks from February 15th, 1992-March 7th, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records for two weeks from February 7th, 1992-February 14th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/25/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-garth-brooks-what-shes-doing-now/

• Love 2

We are over the halfway point of the home stretch now--we're SO close! :D

#40: Kenny Chesney--“Don’t Blink”

#39: Johnny Cash--“A Boy Named Sue”

#38: Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett--“It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere”

#37: Kenny Rogers--“The Gambler”

#36: Jason Aldean--“Big Green Tractor”

#35: Brooks & Dunn--“Neon Moon”

#34: Tim McGraw--“Don’t Take the Girl”

#33: Merle Haggard--“Okie From Muskogee”

#32: Randy Travis--“Forever and Ever, Amen”

#31: Johnny Paycheck--“Take This Job and Shove it”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/26/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-40-31/

• Love 2

I can't believe I can still be surprised by the insanity of the Sirius rankings, but this most recent set of ten did it.  Good gods!  Almost none of those songs are among the top 40 of all time (the only ones I'd put there are "Forever and Ever, Amen" and "The Gambler").  And is one of the guys at Sirius who made this list Jason Aldean's brother or something?

• Love 4

A big eighties country star makes a big nineties country comeback, and yet another number one for country's biggest band ever.

95. John Anderson--"Straight Tequila Night"

#1 on Billboard the week of March 14th, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of February 28th, 1992. (side note: my third birthday!)

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/29/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-john-anderson-straight-tequila-night/

96. Alabama--"Born Country"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of March 6th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/29/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-alabama-born-country/

Edited by UYI
8 hours ago, UYI said:

95. John Anderson--"Straight Tequila Night"

I absolutely love that song.  It's my favorite of his (yes, above "Swingin'") and I agree with this from the CU write-up:

“Straight Tequila Night” is one of the best singles of the entire decade.  It’s relentlessly catchy and evokes empathy for the woman being romantically pursued, who feels like a real person and not just a plot device.

I chalk the latter point up to it being co-written by a woman.

• Love 1

Two icons we've seen before have two more number one hits, with the latter one being particularly iconic.

97. Alan Jackson--"Dallas"

#1 on Billboard the week of March 21st, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of March 13th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/30/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-alan-jackson-dallas/

98. Reba McEntire--"Is There Life Out There"

#1 on Billboard for two weeks from April 4th, 1992-April 11th, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of March 20th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/30/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-reba-mcentire-is-there-life-out-there/

There are only two more posts for this list after this one.

#30: Travis Tritt--“It’s a Great Day to Be Alive”

#29: Loretta Lynn--“Coal Miner’s Daughter”

#28: Johnny Lee--“Lookin’ For Love”

#27: Florida Georgia Line--“Cruise”

#26: Conway Twitty--“Hello Darlin’”

#25: Lee Greenwood--“God Bless the U.S.A.”

#24: Luke Bryan--“Play it Again”

#23: Waylon Jennings--“Luckenbach, Texas (Back to the Basics of Love)”

#22: Eric Church--“Drink in My Hand”

#21: Keith Whitley--“When You Say Nothing at All”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/08/30/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-30-21/

• Love 2

"Coal Miner's Daughter" being down at 39 made me pop an extra blood pressure pill, Florida Georgia Line being in the top 30 made me roll my eyes so hard one got stuck, and then I got to the piece of jingoistic shit that is "God Bless the U.S.A." at 25 and my entire head exploded.  I scraped it up off the floor, only to find Luke Bryan and Eric Church in the top 25. 

This list is trying to kill me.  I'm going to go listen to "Is There Life Out There?" to soothe my nerves.

• Love 2

I suppose this is as good a time as any to express my outrage that there's nothing of John Denver on this list. Now, I admit that there's a huge nostalgia factor when it comes to him. My Dad loved him, I grew up on his music as much as I did the Beatles or the Stones or Dolly or Loretta or Waylon or Willie.

And there was such a blowback of 'he's not country, he's folk' but that holds absolutely no water whatsoever when fucking Kid Rock is on this list.

They have a fuckton of Jason Aldean songs on this list and yet, somehow, 'Rocky Mountain High' 'Take Me Home, Country Roads' or 'Back Home Again' aren't represented at all.

That's fucking bullshit.

• Love 4

The debut single of a newly solo country star, and another eighties star finds renewed success in the nineties.

99. Wynonna--"She is His Only Need"

#1 on Billboard the week of March 28th, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of March 27th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/09/01/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-wynonna-she-is-his-only-need/

100. Steve Wariner--"The Tips of My Fingers"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of April 3rd, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/09/01/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-steve-wariner-the-tips-of-my-fingers/

21 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Anyone listen to Lee Ann Womack? I think her voice is SO pretty. 

I LOVE Lee Ann Womack! She gets shortchanged sometimes because of how "I Hope You Dance" crossed over to pop radio, when she has always been SO much more than just that song, and she has actually become more and more of a traditional country artist as time has gone on--her 2014 album, The Way I'm Livin', and her 2017 album, The Lonely, The Lonesome, and the Gone, are both great. 

I also find it funny how much Ashley Monroe sounds like her; she even LOOKS a lot like her, too! I STILL don't understand how she hasn't become a country music superstar in her own right. 

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, UYI said:

I LOVE Lee Ann Womack! She gets shortchanged sometimes because of how "I Hope You Dance" crossed over to pop radio, when she has always been SO much more than just that song, and she has actually become more and more of a traditional country artist as time has gone on--her 2014 album, The Way I'm Livin', and her 2017 album, The Lonely, The Lonesome, and the Gone, are both great. 

I also find it funny how much Ashley Monroe sounds like her; she even LOOKS a lot like her, too! I STILL don't understand how she hasn't become a country music superstar in her own right. 

"I Hope You Dance" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I didn't realize that would cause her to be shortchanged. 

I'll have to check out Ashley Monroe. Definitely not bad to look and sound like Lee Ann Womack!

• Love 2

We have a whopping FOUR country number one songs to highlight today!

Yet another popular nineties country artist scores his first number one hit, while one we have seen before gets his second, Brooks & Dunn goes to the top with perhaps their most iconic song ever, while Sawyer Brown scores another chart topper. (Damn, I overused the word "another" here, didn't I? LOL.)

102. Aaron Tippin--"There Ain't Nothin' Wrong with the Radio"

#1 on Billboard for three weeks from April 18th, 1992-May 2nd, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of April 17th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/09/05/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-aaron-tippin-there-aint-nothin-wrong-with-the-radio/

103. Tracy Lawrence--"Today's Lonely Fool"

#1 on Radio & Records the week of April 24th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/09/05/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-tracy-lawrence-todays-lonely-fool/

104. Brooks & Dunn--"Neon Moon"

#1 on Billboard for two weeks from May 9th, 1992-May 16th, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of May 1st, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/09/05/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-brooks-dunn-neon-moon/

105. Sawyer Brown--"Some Girls Do"

#1 on Billboard the week of May 23rd, 1992.

#1 on Radio & Records the week of May 8th, 1992.

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2021/09/06/every-1-country-single-of-the-nineties-sawyer-brown-some-girls-do/

• Love 1