#558: John Anderson--“She Just Started Liking Cheatin’ Songs”

#557: Dierks Bentley--“Every Mile a Memory”

#556: Ernest Tubb--“Waltz Across Texas”

#555: Dolly Parton--“Why’d You Come in Here Lookin’ Like That”

#554: Craig Morgan--“Redneck Yacht Club”

#553: John Conlee--“Lady Lay Down”

#552: Tracy Lawrence--“Alibis”

#551: George Jones--“Bartender’s Blues”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/06/10/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-560-551/

Damn, the country world has three big stories today:

1. Lady Antebellum has made the decision to shorten their name to Lady A, which is their official nickname anyway. Their statement on the matter is amazing; they said that at the end of the day, there is no excuse or reason why it took them this long to change it; all they can do is acknowledge it and move forward. Awesome.

2. The Dixie Chicks' new album, Gaslighter, was originally scheduled to be released on May 1st but was delayed due to COVID-19; it has just been announced that July 17th is the new release date! YAY!

3. Kelly Clarkson has filed for divorce from her husband, Brandon Blackstock--Reba McEntire's ex-stepson. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, UYI said:

#560: Alabama--“Old Flame”

Probably my favorite Alabama song.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

#558: John Anderson--“She Just Started Liking Cheatin’ Songs”

I am completely with the CU commentators on this one: I love me some John Anderson music ("Straight Tequila Night" is my jam), but this song is overrated here.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

#556: Ernest Tubb--“Waltz Across Texas”

Wow - like them, I would not have thought this peaked at #34 on the charts.  Too low there, and too low here.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

#555: Dolly Parton--“Why’d You Come in Here Lookin’ Like That”

Totally with them on this one, too - it's a fun song, and it's Dolly.  But it's not the 555th greatest country song of all time.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

#552: Tracy Lawrence--“Alibis”

Oh man, I love his voice, but I only like a few of his songs -- "Time Marches On" is my favorite, and I like "I See It Now".  This one and "Is That a Tear" I can never quite decide if I like.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

#551: George Jones--“Bartender’s Blues”

I like this song, and I like Trisha Yearwood's duet with him from The Bradley Barn Sessions.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

And in other news, due to the current climate, Lady Antebellum are dropping Antebellum and will be known going forward as simply Lady A.

Already posted that above, and I absolutely love and respect them for this and agree with them being the right choice. They can be hit or miss for me overall (their debut album is excellent, as is the title track for "Need You Now", but the quality of their singles can be "meh" a lot of the time), but Lady A has been their nickname forever, and it makes total sense as their official name, too. 

When it comes to mixed-gender country bands, though, Little Big Town is my favorite, for sure. :) 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

More entries below!

#550: Sara Evans--“A Little Bit Stronger”

#549: Sylvia--“Nobody”

#548: Blake Shelton--“Over”

#547: Hank Williams--“Mind Your Own Business”

#546: Easton Corbin--“A Little More Country Than That”

#545: Kenny Chesney--“She’s Got it All”

#544: Willie Nelson--“All of Me”

#543: George Strait--“Heartland”

#542: Rascal Flatts--“My Wish”

#541: Johnny Cash--“Ballad of a Teenage Queen”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/06/15/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-550-541/

• Love 1

Wow, this latest group of ten is really bad, and that's saying something for this list.  Not all bad songs, but all bad rankings -- I agree with the CU writers that there's not a single song in this batch that isn't overrated (either because it should be ranked lower, or shouldn't be on the list at all).

2 hours ago, UYI said:

#548: Blake Shelton--“Over”

I don't even know the song, but I laughed pretty hard at the comments:

JK: Repetitive and ungodly dull, like a meta-commentary on Shelton’s career. So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

KJC:   Please make it stop.  So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

ZK: One of his most pointless records, and that’s saying something. So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

Confession:  I've always liked Sylvia's "Nobody".  (But good heavens, it isn't in the top 1000 of all time, let alone the top 550.)

• Love 1

"Nobody" is one of the least country-sounding country songs of all time, but I love it too. But I need to give a shout out to "The Matador", whose video was one of the very first broadcast on CMT.

I don't remember that song, but "Snapshot" came up and I could not look away from that video it is so cheesy.  Then I had to listen to "Nobody", and went down a rabbit hole of songs I can't believe I like.  I have to get back to work, so I finished with this gem:

Here are the next ten entries.

#540: Tim McGraw--“My Best Friend”

#539: Toby Keith--“I Love This Bar”

#538: Patsy Cline--“San Antonio Rose”

#537: Confederate Railroad--“Trashy Women”

#536: Trace Adkins--“Ladies Love Country Boys”

#535: Martina McBride--“My Baby Loves Me”

#534: Zac Brown Band--“Keep Me in Mind”

#533: Tanya Tucker--“San Antonio Stroll”

#532: The Wreckers--“Leave the Pieces”

#531: Tracy Byrd--“The Keeper of the Stars”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/06/21/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-540-531/

• Love 1

Side note, since it was in the last ten entries: "Leave the Pieces", even if it's ranked WAY too high here, is an awesome song and I dearly wish Michelle Branch (yes, THAT Michelle Branch, whose song "Everywhere" was well, everywhere when I was 13 in 2002) and Jessica Harp would have gotten together and done a second album.

Jessica Harp did do a solo country album in 2010, though. Here's the title track from it:

27 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Help you guys!!!  I've been trying to think of a song with the lyrics "How will it end, how will I know ... if I should stay or go".  That's all I can think of ... TIA!!!

I tried to Google it with "country lyrics" at the end, but came up with nothing, and with just the lyrics alone I just got a few pop songs (including current hit "If the World was Ending" by JP Saxe and Julia Michaels...which again, isn't a country song).

I tried, though! 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, UYI said:

Here are the next ten entries.

Bleh.  I think CU sums this batch up nicely:  "A great selection of artists, but not a great selection of singles."  Because, if you just told me the latest ten included songs by Tanya Tucker, Martina McBride, Patsy Cline, and the Wreckers, I'd think this was going to be one of the best sets of ten so far. 

The most disturbing thing was learning via the commentary on "San Antonio Rose" that "She's Got You" is nowhere on the list. 

On ‎06‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 3:15 PM, Bastet said:

The most disturbing thing was learning via the commentary on "San Antonio Rose" that "She's Got You" is nowhere on the list. 

Oh man, that's one of my favorite songs of hers!

On ‎06‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 12:16 PM, UYI said:

as of today, the Dixie Chicks are now simply the Chicks.

Which is not without its own problems, depending on how you look at it.

What a crazy few days in country music this has been! Charlie Daniels is gone, the artists formerly known as Lady Antebellum are now suing the Seattle artist who also uses the name "Lady A" (technically the band has had the trademark to use that name for a decade now, but even if they are legally in the right place here, they are still suing a black woman over a name that they started officially using in support of Black Lives Matter; the optics here are AWFUL). But there's a list to go on with, so go on with it I will. Here we go:

#530: Rodney Atkins--“If You’re Going Through Hell (Before the Devil Even Knows)”

#529: Willie Nelson--“The Party’s Over”

#528: Mel McDaniel--“Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On”

#527: Thomas Rhett--“It Goes Like This”

#526: Merle Haggard--“Ramblin’ Fever”

#525: Hank Williams, Jr.--“All My Rowdy Friends are Coming Over Tonight”

#524: Kenny Chesney--“Living in Fast Forward”

#523: Tompall Glaser--“Put Another Log On the Fire (Male Chauvinist National Anthem)”

#522: Keith Urban--“Better Life”

#521: Kathy Mattea--“Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/07/08/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-530-521/

• Love 1

Two things, BTW:

1. I absolutely ADORE Kathy Mattea. I'm an alto singer like she is, so that alone is enough to endear her to me. I completely agree that this song should be one of many on this list, not the only one, and certainly not this low!

2. Full disclosure: When I was a junior in high school (2005-2006), I used to hear "Living in Fast Forward" on the bus (I was slow to get my driver's license; I got it at 18, shortly after graduating from high school), and while it probably doesn't deserve to be on the list (or at least not this high), I do have fond memories of it for starting to grow the grain of my love for country music, even if it would take MANY more years to grow into a full bloom. It just makes me happy. Yes, really. *hides* 

2 hours ago, UYI said:

...the artists formerly known as Lady Antebellum are now suing the Seattle artist who also uses the name "Lady A" (technically the band has had the trademark to use that name for a decade now, but even if they are legally in the right place here, they are still suing a black woman over a name that they started officially using in support of Black Lives Matter; the optics here are AWFUL)...

Here is a Twitter thread with a law professor's thoughts and analysis on the lawsuit (click through to see the entire thread):

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Just Here said:

Here is a Twitter thread with a law professor's thoughts and analysis on the lawsuit (click through to see the entire thread):

That's a pretty good brief overview of what is and isn't at stake in the complaint, and why things have transpired this way (while first acknowledging this is really bad look).

3 hours ago, UYI said:

#528: Mel McDaniel--“Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On”

I love this song (always have, and its use as Delia's theme in Personal Velocity is a bonus), and in declaring its ranking "about right" agree with this:  "Another example of how the genre’s men used to be able to sing about lust without being gross or sleazy. Lord, have mercy, indeed."

3 hours ago, UYI said:

#525: Hank Williams, Jr.--“All My Rowdy Friends are Coming Over Tonight”

I'm with the outlier who says this ranking is too high, not too low:  "This might be the exact moment where Williams Jr. transitioned from artist to personality, as the entire conceit of the song is play off the far superior “All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down.”

3 hours ago, UYI said:

#523: Tompall Glaser--“Put Another Log On the Fire (Male Chauvinist National Anthem)”

When my grandpa was being A Guy, my grandma would sing the chorus of this song at him and walk away.  I agree with "Funny and forward-thinking for its time, but way Too High."

3 hours ago, UYI said:

#521: Kathy Mattea--“Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses”

This is rather stunningly too low; I would say it should be somewhere around #200. 

• Love 2

Next up:

#520: Dierks Bentley--“Lot of Leavin’ Left to Do”

#519: Freddie Hart, “Easy Loving”

#518: LeAnn Rimes--“Blue”

#517: Jake Owen--“The One That Got Away”

#516: Tanya Tucker--“Would You Lay With Me (in a Field of Stone)”

#515: Toby Keith--“Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue (The Angry American)”

#514: Mary Chapin Carpenter--“Passionate Kisses”

#513: Faith Hill--“The Way You Love Me”

#512: Tyler Farr--“Redneck Crazy”

#511: Doug Stone--“Why Didn’t I Think of That”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/07/13/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-520-511/

• Love 1
4 hours ago, UYI said:

I love all the commentary on how this is ranked far too low.  Same with "Easy Loving".

4 hours ago, UYI said:

Oh, fuck this song.  I mean, fuck Toby Keith, period, but this repugnant song is the perfect representation of why he can go find a fire to die in any time now.  Great commentary on this one, too, especially:

JK: Had Keith couched this as an of-the-moment, reactionary statement and not an insistence that this kind of swinging-dick posturing is the only true expression of patriotism, his career would probably be regarded with a lot more grace, and our political discourse would not have been cheapened to the extent that it has been. On very broad impact alone, it probably has to be on here, but this ranking is Too High.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

This is some terrific shade:

JK: Hill turns in one of her most robotic performances– no two consecutive words of this sound like they were recorded in the same session– on a song so poorly written that the liner notes should have been written with chunky toddler crayons. Just awful. So Wrong (Doesn’t Belong)

In fact, they're pretty much on fire for all ten; the commentary on "Redneck Crazy" ("a leering, miserable, misogynistic and downright creepy song reeking of entitlement") and "Why Didn't I Think of That" ("Cutesy and twee and it makes my diabetic pancreas hurt") is great, too.

• Love 3
On ‎07‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 12:15 PM, UYI said:

Next up:

#520: Dierks Bentley--“Lot of Leavin’ Left to Do”

#519: Freddie Hart, “Easy Loving”

#518: LeAnn Rimes--“Blue”

#517: Jake Owen--“The One That Got Away”

#514: Mary Chapin Carpenter--“Passionate Kisses”

#512: Tyler Farr--“Redneck Crazy”

#511: Doug Stone--“Why Didn’t I Think of That”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/07/13/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-520-511/

Blue and Passionate Kisses are way too low.  Would You Lay With Me (in a Field of Stone) should be top 25 easily.

Toby Keith is dead to me.  Dead.

• Love 1

I guess the best thing to do here would be to just quote what Kevin from CU said at the beginning of this post:

"We’re officially halfway through this list.  There are still another 500 to go.  “Thanks a Lot,” Sirius."

#510: Ernest Tubb and His Texas Troubadours--“Thanks a Lot”

#509: George Strait--“Love Without End, Amen”

#508: Montgomery Gentry--“Hell Yeah”

#507: Sammy Kershaw--“Third Rate Romance”

#506: Willie Nelson--“Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground”

#505: Tim McGraw--“She’s My Kind of Rain”

#504: Garth Brooks--“Shameless”

#503: Jessica Andrews--“Who I Am”

#502: Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers Band--“All the Gold in California”

#501: Kenny Chesney & Uncle Kracker--“When the Sun Goes Down”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/07/21/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-510-501/

1 hour ago, UYI said:

#501: Kenny Chesney & Uncle Kracker--“When the Sun Goes Down”

I absolutely fell out at this:

This may be the whitest thing that’s ever been recorded. Oh, the caucasity.

• LOL 3

And now, we head into the 400s--now, with playlists!

#500: Neal McCoy--“Wink”

#499: Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson--“The Year That Clayton Delaney Died”

#498: Sugarland--“Something More”

#497: Carrie Underwood--“Undo It”

#496: Restless Heart--“Bluest Eyes in Texas”

#495: Ray Charles and His Orchestra--“Busted"

#494: Billy Currington--“Hey Girl”

#493: Travis Tritt--“T-R-O-U-B-L-E”

#492: Conway Twitty--“You’ve Never Been This Far Before”

#491: Zac Brown Band--“Highway 20 Ride”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/07/27/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-500-491/

• Love 1
11 hours ago, UYI said:

And now, we head into the 400s--now, with playlists!

#500: Neal McCoy--“Wink”

#499: Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson--“The Year That Clayton Delaney Died”

#498: Sugarland--“Something More”

#497: Carrie Underwood--“Undo It”

#494: Billy Currington--“Hey Girl”

#493: Travis Tritt--“T-R-O-U-B-L-E”

#492: Conway Twitty--“You’ve Never Been This Far Before”

#491: Zac Brown Band--“Highway 20 Ride”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/07/27/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-500-491/

I'm glad I'm not the only one perplexed by the Waylon and Willie choice. Also, the Billy Currington shade is magnificent. I, too, worry that Conway's highest ranking will be 'Happy Birthday, Darlin'

This list is an atrocity. I'm still fucking mad about 'Lovesick Blues' being in the 770s. And then there's Currington - who every time I see his picture in these write ups makes me think of Chris O'Dowd but he's not so that just makes me madder - showing up for no reason I can even believe.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, UYI said:

I love the Nina Persson/Nathan Larson cover of this for Boys Don't Cry (on its own and for reminding me of the film) so much that whenever I hear the original I'm disappointed.

14 hours ago, UYI said:

My absolute favorite recording of the song.

Keeping on:

#490: Thomas Rhett--"Crash and Burn”

#489: The (Artists Formerly Known As The Dixie) Chicks--“Wide Open Spaces”

#488: Brad Paisley with Alabama--“Old Alabama”

#487: Kid Rock with Sheryl Crow--“Picture”

#486: Trisha Yearwood--“XXX’s and OOO’s (An American Girl)”

#485: Gary Stewart--“She’s Actin’ Single (I’m Drinkin’ Doubles)”

#484: Lady Antebellum (er, Lady A--or not, if Anita White has her way)--“Bartender”

#483: Waylon Jennings--“Rainy Day Woman”

#482: Shania Twain--“(If You’re Not in it For Love) I’m Outta Here!”

#481: Darius Rucker--“Come Back Song”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/07/30/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-490-481

"Wide Open Spaces" and, especially, "She's Acting Single" should be ranked higher.

1 hour ago, UYI said:

#487: Kid Rock with Sheryl Crow--“Picture”

I wouldn't have ranked it on a country list, but I love the song itself.  I cannot stand Kid Rock otherwise, but I love pretty much everything Sheryl Crow sings, including this collaboration.

1 hour ago, UYI said:

#490: Thomas Rhett--"Crash and Burn”

I don't know this song, but their hatred for it - and him - cracked me right up.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bastet said:
8 hours ago, UYI said:

I wouldn't have ranked it on a country list, but I love the song itself.  I cannot stand Kid Rock otherwise, but I love pretty much everything Sheryl Crow sings, including this collaboration.

With you on all of these opinions, but in terms of collaborations, it is not a country song, but I love Sheryl Crow singing "Always On Your Side" with Sting more.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:37 AM, BradyBunchFan said:

Former WBAP Country Cowboy, Bill Mack, Dead at 88

https://www.wbap.com/2020/07/31/former-wbap-country-cowboy-bill-mack-dead-at-88/

Bill Mack Dead: Country Music Icon Dies From COVID-19 

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2020/07/bill-mack-dead/

Yep... Why they pass away one by one. What an awful year. Lynn Harrell, My favourite cellist in May, Charles Daniels, Bill Mack. The intresting thing they were not world stars, but were my favourites. 

15 minutes ago, PandaPanda said:

Yep... Why they pass away one by one. What an awful year. Lynn Harrell, My favourite cellist in May, Charles Daniels, Bill Mack. The intresting thing they were not world stars, but were my favourites. 

It really is an awful year, you’re right.

• Love 2
On 8/13/2020 at 5:54 PM, ebk57 said:

A really wonderful article about Dolly Parton, who is a really wonderful person.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/9432581/dolly-parton-country-power-players-billboard-cover-story-interview-2020

This, right here, is why so many different types of people love her as a person, whether or not they like her music:

“There’s such a thing as innocent ignorance, and so many of us are guilty of that," she says now. "When they said 'Dixie' was an offensive word, I thought, 'Well, I don't want to offend anybody. This is a business. We'll just call it The Stampede.' As soon as you realize that [something] is a problem, you should fix it. Don't be a dumbass. That's where my heart is. I would never dream of hurting anybody on purpose."

This is great, too:

The change came two years before the police killings of unarmed Black Americans like George Floyd sparked a reckoning with systemic racism in the United States - one that led country acts such as the Dixie Chicks and Lady Antebellum to change their names to similarly avoid glorifying dark chapters of history. Parton hasn't attended any recent marches, but she is unequivocal in her support of protestors and the Black Lives Matter movement. "I understand people having to make themselves known and felt and seen," she says. "And of course Black lives matter. Do we think our little white asses are the only ones that matter? No!"

• Love 6

Also, since no one else posted about it here, I guess it's up to me:

After a LONG delay due to COVID-19, the 2020 inductees of the Country Music Hall of Fame (which are usually announced in March or April), were finally revealed on August 12th:

Veteran Era: Hank Williams, Jr. (LONG considered to be the artist most overdue of an induction, although given the unexpected death of his daughter Katherine in a car crash earlier this year, it must be particularly bittersweet for it to finally happen now.)

Modern Era: Marty Stuart (Never the most commercial success compared to some of his contemporaries, but a beloved figure in Nashville, former President of the Country Music Foundation, a living and breathing encyclopedia on the genre and its history--as his appearances in Ken Burns' PBS documentary series Country Music last year proved--and someone who began his career playing in Lester Flatt's backing band while still a teenager. And, of course, married to another legendary Hall of Famer, Connie Smith--who he had wanted to marry since meeting her at a concert in his hometown of Philadelphia, Mississippi when he was 11 years old.)

Songwriter: Dean Dillon (Writer behind many more modern classic country songs, including "Tennessee Whiskey", but most notable for being the man behind the lion's share of George Strait's biggest and most beloved hits.)

Am I still waiting for Tanya Tucker and Dwight Yoakam's inductions? Yes, definitely. Should the Maddox Brothers & Rose be in by now? OF COURSE. But I can't complain about any of these inductees. Not at all. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, UYI said:

Dwight Yoakam is having a very good year on a personal level: Several months after marrying his long time girlfriend Emily Joyce, he's now a dad, too!

https://people.com/parents/dwight-yoakam-welcomes-first-child-baby-boy-with-wife-emily-joyce/

She looks more like the mother of his grandchild than his wife, so I looked up their ages - 63 and 36.  When they got together, she was about 25/26, so at least her brain had fully matured about five minutes prior. 

I'm sorry, all I can do at any individual entry in this ridiculous pattern of rich and famous men courting women young enough to be their children instead of contemporaries is roll my eyes.  Hooray for them if they're happy, though, and they certainly didn't rush into marriage and parenting, so whatever.

Am I still waiting for Tanya Tucker and Dwight Yoakam's inductions? Yes, definitely.

Tanya Tucker not being in the HoF is a crime against humanity.

• Love 2

After a brief hiatus, we are back to our list!

#480: Jerry Reed--“She Got the Goldmine (I Got the Shaft)”

#479: Chris Young--“I Can Take it From There”

#478: Garth Brooks--“Standing Outside the Fire”

#477: John Anderson--“I’m Just an Old Chunk of Coal (But I’m Gonna Be a Diamond Someday)”

#476: Florida Georgia Line with Luke Bryan--“This is How We Roll”

#475: George Strait--“Write This Down”

#474: Brooks & Dunn--“That Ain’t No Way to Go”

#473: Marty Robbins--“El Paso City”

#472: Kenny Chesney--“Never Wanted Nothing More”

#471: Martina McBride--“Wild Angels”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/08/25/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-480-471/

• Love 1

More entries ahead!

#470: Mel Tillis--“Coca Cola Cowboy”

#469: Blake Shelton--“Some Beach”

#468: Ronnie Milsap--“Pure Love”

#467: Dwight Yoakam--“A Thousand Miles From Nowhere”

#466: Eric Church--“Talladega”

#465: Linda Ronstadt--“Silver Threads and Golden Needles”

#464: Justin Moore--“‘Til My Last Day”

#463: Anne Murray--“Could I Have This Dance”

#462: Lady A--“American Honey”

#461: Willie Nelson--“Help Me Make it Through the Night”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/08/29/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-470-461/

Help us make it through another ten entries of this endless list.

Heh.  Indeed, CU.  I react to most of these songs (at least the ones I know) with either "meh" or "ugh".

20 minutes ago, UYI said:

#467: Dwight Yoakam--“A Thousand Miles From Nowhere”

This should be higher.

20 minutes ago, UYI said:

#463: Anne Murray--“Could I Have This Dance”

As problematic as Anne Murray is, this is the song of hers that definitely belongs on the list, but not in the top 500.

22 minutes ago, UYI said:

#465: Linda Ronstadt--“Silver Threads and Golden Needles”

This was the most interesting; all three nailed the commentary on this one (I particularly love the one who said it's not her best country single, and it's not even her best recording of this song, yet it still belongs because that's how damn good she is), and learning there are only two Linda Ronstadt songs on this list blew me away.  Yes, she combines so many genres she often defies them, but, good gods, look at how much of this list should not count as country.

On 8/23/2020 at 4:14 PM, Bastet said:

Tanya Tucker not being in the HoF is a crime against humanity.

Absolutely.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:31 PM, Bastet said:

My thoughts exactly, CU folks.

Yep, I can't argue with them at all.

I do disagree with the CU folks about Help Me Make It Through The Night.  Charley Pride's version is wonderful and not at all skeevy.

More to come from our esteemed (somewhere, or maybe not) list--actually, scratch that, there's a certain low entry here that will make y'all's heads explode :

#460: Jason Aldean--“Fly Over States”

#459: Patty Loveless--“Blame it On Your Heart”

#458: Brad Paisley--“This is Country Music”

#457: Dolly Parton--“Jolene”

#456: Heartland--“I Loved Her First”

#455: Don Williams--“I Believe in You”

#454: Hank Williams with His Drifting Cowboys--“Move it On Over”

#453: Rascal Flatts--“These Days”

#452: Alabama--“Take Me Down”

#451: Miranda Lambert--“Over You”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/09/04/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-460-451/

3 hours ago, UYI said:

More to come from our esteemed (somewhere, or maybe not) list--actually, scratch that, there's a certain low entry here that will make y'all's heads explode :

#460: Jason Aldean--“Fly Over States”

#459: Patty Loveless--“Blame it On Your Heart”

#458: Brad Paisley--“This is Country Music”

#456: Heartland--“I Loved Her First”

#454: Hank Williams with His Drifting Cowboys--“Move it On Over”

#453: Rascal Flatts--“These Days”

#452: Alabama--“Take Me Down”

#451: Miranda Lambert--“Over You”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/09/04/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-460-451/

Two of them actually. Jolene and I Believe in You are criminally low.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, UYI said:

Oh, hell to the no.  People who don't even like country music like this song.  FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX SONGS are better than this?  I don't think so.  Crack smoking monkeys could have compiled a better list than the folks at Sirius.

4 hours ago, UYI said:

This is obscenely low, too.

• Love 4

Next up:

#450: John Conlee--“Backside of Thirty”

#449: Kenny Chesney--“Summertime”

#448: Restless Heart--“Why Does it Have to Be (Wrong or Right)”

#447: George Strait--“Carrying Your Love With Me”

#446: Lee Brice--“I Drive Your Truck”

#445: Tom T. Hall--“Faster Horses (The Cowboy & The Poet)”

#444: Luke Bryan--“I Don’t Want This Night to End”

#443: Joe Diffie--“Pickup Man”

#442: Crystal Gayle--“Don’t it Make My Brown Eyes Blue”

#441: Tim McGraw--“My Next Thirty Years”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/09/11/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-450-441/

1 hour ago, UYI said:

#450: John Conlee--“Backside of Thirty”

Oh, goodness.  This is an awful perpetuation of the false narrative that family courts prioritize mothers, but Conlee's voice is effective if I set that aside and take the song as an individual tale. 

1 hour ago, UYI said:

#442: Crystal Gayle--“Don’t it Make My Brown Eyes Blue”

Seriously pop-influenced country, sure, but a hell of a lot more country - and a hell of a lot better - than much of what has been ranked. 

I'm back! Here we go again:

#440: Tracy Lawrence--“Time Marches On”

#439: Henson Cargill--“Skip a Rope”

#438: Brad Paisley--“Ticks”

#437: Alan Jackson--"Tall, Tall Trees"

#436: Lefty Frizzell--"If You've Got the Money, I've Got the Time"

#435: Josh Turner--“Would You Go With Me”

#434: Collin Raye--“Love, Me”

#433: Little Big Town--“Pontoon”

#432: Mickey Gilley--“Don’t the Girls All Get Prettier at Closing Time”

#431: Sawyer Brown--“Some Girls Do”

http://www.countryuniverse.net/2020/09/27/a-country-music-conversation-sirius-top-1000-country-songs-of-all-time-440-431/