Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E18: The Memory Remains

Diane
  • Start Topic

On 4/16/2017 at 6:23 PM, catrox14 said:

ETA: I think it was really weird that Dean and Sam didn't question why Ketch had Mick's phone. Like why wouldn't Mick have taken it with him when he left town?

Well, given that they are based in England, maybe despite all their high-tech stuff in other departments they just got cheap pay-as-you-go type cell phones for their stints in the USA. I mean, I guess they could have sprung for the roaming charges on the phones they presumably had back home, but the British (and I was born there) DO tend to be more on the thrifty side. It might have just worked out cheaper that way.

• Love 1

Last one in my rewatch mini-marathon last night:  A good one to end on.  :)

• Ah...Goat Dude!  I might have chuckled (I know I grinned) every time I heard Dean say Goat Dude.  The absolute best time was when they were in the old family manor home looking down the basement stairs.  "Goat Dude?"  Like seriously?  You just going to call out and expect him to answer?  It was silly and fun.  
  • I paid more attention this time (I usually get distracted by so much that is happening in the ep the first time I watch) how creepy Moloch actually was.  I like that they didn't show him all and we only got shadows and snatches - made it feel old timey SPN creepy.  I liked that.  
  • I guess Pete had to move Moloch from the basement dungeon to the freezer in order to carry out his nefarious get rich quick scheme - but I wonder how exactly you move a god?
  • Man, I feel so bad for the two kids who got killed - especially the one who was abused by his father, then had to take care of him, then gets turned into a pagan sacrifice.  
  • Sam's living vicariously through Dean's fling with the waitress it looks like.  Or maybe he's just happy and not jealous because Eileen dropped by the bunker the week before and borrowed some sugar from him.  
  • I noticed in a later diner scene where Dean is eating the burger, they talk about the list of missing people.  Dean is the one who cross checked all the names of the missing people from the 20 years prior to 1997 (when it stopped) with employees at the meat plant.  That had to take a lot of work.  And he was very thorough, which shows he still does research and he takes it very seriously when necessary.  No, it wasn't shown on screen.  But then neither was Sam's research - which was off digging through Bishop family records and finding the estate.
  • I kind of like that the sheriff told them to leave and he would take care of the aftermath.  I think he did try to do the right thing - he didn't know what else to do except stop feeding the god and hope it would starve to death.  I mean, how to kill a god isn't exactly something most people would know how to research.  
  • HATE the slimy limeys being all over the bunker.  Ugh.  I want to go scrub the place with bleach and Lysol for the guys - and I am not a real neat freak!  I thought it looked like they might have placed a couple spy cams in the old speakers on the wall, but I could be wrong.  I'd like that even less than the stupid huge bug under the table.  
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

Last one in my rewatch mini-marathon last night:  A good one to end on.  :

It's funny, you, @rue721 and I are all on a S12 rewatch.  I just finished this morning. I've been looking for the big arcs, character bits.  

But on a small note, I remember it being obvious that Goat Dude was Pete early on in the episode. And I realized this time around it's because he's tall, lanky and has an obvious slump to his shoulders.  Different than most.  So his body posture in the goat-outfit was a dead giveaway IMO.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, SueB said:

It's funny, you, @rue721 and I are all on a S12 rewatch.

I watch from the CW app, so I can only go back as far as they still have the eps up.  I'm not looking for big arcs or even little bits - just wanted to enjoy watching the guys again! :)

58 minutes ago, SueB said:

But on a small note, I remember it being obvious that Goat Dude was Pete early on in the episode.

Really?  I didn't catch that the first time quite that early.  I kind of expected Goat Dude to be a  real satyr or something, so I wasn't looking for it to be a regular human.  Even with the camera view from 'behind' the mask - I just thought they were giving the Goat Dudes' eye view.   

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, RulerofallIsurvey said:

I watch from the CW app, so I can only go back as far as they still have the eps up.  I'm not looking for big arcs or even little bits - just wanted to enjoy watching the guys again! :)

Really?  I didn't catch that the first time quite that early.  I kind of expected Goat Dude to be a  real satyr or something, so I wasn't looking for it to be a regular human.  Even with the camera view from 'behind' the mask - I just thought they were giving the Goat Dudes' eye view.   

Well Moloch himself, had the whole horns thing going for him, but there was something really Hobo-esque about the outfit in the first attack. And he just has a weird posture^ so it caught my attention.

*SueB, judging your posture since 19somethingsomething

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, SueB said:

*SueB, judging your posture since 19somethingsomething

LOL!  I'll try to remember not to slouch.  You need to get onto Sam about that though...

Yeah, like I said, in retrospect I saw it (the hobo-esqe costume, etc.)  I guess I just didn't pay that much attention the first time through.  But then, I tend to do that (not pay attention to details) the first time through all the episodes.  That's one thing about not watching live though - I have the luxury of rewinding and watching a scene several times if I miss something.  But then that can also take away the flow of the episode (like the commercials* do. Argh.)

*speaking of commercials - last night during my minimarathon, there was the commercial for some zit cream with a teenage "Sam".  A Jimmy Dean sausage commercial.  And one for Jensen tools.  I kid you not.  

• Love 2

I'm confused as to what Ketch and co were doing in the bunker.  Itemizing all the books?  taking pictures of the books?  bugging it?  WTF for?  Aren't they just going to kill them, and then just take everything there?  Why all the cloak and dagger stuff?

And the motw was meh, imo.  sortof a typical story line.  innocent or two dies, Sam and Dean think its the wrong guy, one gets caught, while the other fights the real wrong guy/monster in order to find/free him before the monster eats the other.

And lol at the ketchup on the burger scene.

• Love 1

On 4/13/2017 at 8:27 PM, Katy M said:

Don't even get me started.  Larry(?) told Sam that the key that was in the box was the one and only key and you could not get in without it.  Well, we have the BMOls with spare keys, the Steins breaking in, Sam and Dean were able to get in after they gave the key to Kevin and Kevin got trapped in there in Sacrifice, plus they are always coming and going separately.  He also said that it was warded against every evil that ever existed. 

At this point, they may as well put in a revolving door and offer tours. 

On 4/13/2017 at 8:32 PM, MysteryGuest said:

I didn't find him all that awkward.  He spotted her, flirted with her with eye contact for a bit, and then made his move.  The line about the hot coffee was silly, but it was just corny.  He wasn't acting nervous or awkward, IMO...I think it was more eagerness than anything else.  I was happy to see he hasn't changed much.  I find that much more appealing than all of the lame comments about how over-the-hill he is.

I found it sort of charming, but then I am far more likely to be into a totally cheesy pickup line in a self-aware way than I am someone who comes across as "smooth" and practiced. I don't know. I found it cute and she certainly seemed to enjoy herself. It was nice to have some consensual non-creepy, non-plot driven sex on the show for once.  

On 4/13/2017 at 9:54 PM, Wynne88 said:

This episode creeped me out a lot more than I expected.  Who knew that just sticking a goat head on a guy could be scary?  

I agree. The goat guy was surprisingly creepy. 

On 4/14/2017 at 2:09 AM, companionenvy said:

As for the bad: Sam and Dean have to be hit for the stupid stick for me to buy that they don't change the locks after finding out that every MOL can get into their bunker. I'd be fine if they had taken precautions that failed, but dudes, you KNEW the uber-sketchy organization had the keys to your home. 

Agreed. It would be one thing if they didn't know, but they were made aware of it. At least put up a camera. 

On 4/14/2017 at 7:35 PM, Bergamot said:

Ha, I felt the same way about the music.  It sounded like something from a sixties TV show, and was a very strange choice, I thought. The first thing that came into my head was "What IS this, an episode of "The Man from Uncle?" Which is actually a show that I loved way back when! But it is a vibe that seems so jarring and out of place on Supernatural. I feel that same way about the entire BMOL storyline, though.

I didn't even notice it until my husband came in from the other room and commented specifically on the music. Lol. 

On 4/15/2017 at 4:09 PM, icemiser69 said:

Where the hell did they get that massive bug?  At the Big Bug Store?  Just wondering which Winchester is going to drop a pencil on the floor, bend over to pick it up, and notice the big ass bug on the underside of the table.  Or Dean just might end up trying to slide the gun in the holster attached to the underside of the table and as a result knocks the bug that is also attached to the underside of the table on to the floor.

I guess The British Men of Letters have never heard of miniaturization. 

I am dying over the "Big Bug Store."

On 4/15/2017 at 6:49 PM, DittyDotDot said:

Anyhoo, wondered why the guy brought the bodies to the plant? I mean, maybe the freezer isn't the best place to keep your corpses or your Goat God with a health inspector hanging around? Just sayin'. 😉

I think it was in the abandoned part of the plant, which made sense to me. What made less sense to me was why there was meat in there other than the bodies of the sacrifices. Was the god eating regular meat too? Were they storing meat in the purportedly leaking and hazardous freezer? Did they just leave the freezer full when they shut down the plant?

On 4/15/2017 at 11:37 PM, rue721 said:

Oh and also -- I found Sam's half-eaten omelette distractingly weird. Why were the remains of the omelette in pieces?! Was he just hacking at it wildly while he was trying to eat it? And that gigantic dude couldn't finish an egg-white omelette? How did he grow so tall eating so poorly? And then he's on Dean's case later for eating lunch at the lunchcounter! Is Sam not eating? Reminds me -- when my coworker and I were going out for lunch on Friday, we asked our boss if she wanted us to get her anything. We were like, "would you like a salad, soup, something more substantial, like a sandwich?" Our boss goes, "oh, no, something light! I had a sandwich yesterday!" LOL Ok then. Anyway, I'm just being goofy. Although I WAS actually distracted by that omelette. 😉

I thought it looked pretty gross, and now I am overly amused by the entire thing. 

On 4/16/2017 at 5:23 PM, catrox14 said:

ETA: I think it was really weird that Dean and Sam didn't question why Ketch had Mick's phone. Like why wouldn't Mick have taken it with him when he left town?

Agreed.

Overall, I actually liked this one. This season has been so serious and so tied to the ongoing plotlines. It was nice to have a bit of a diversion. I thought the bad guy and Moloch were suitably creepy. The sets were really cool. I liked the meat hooks and hanging meat, even if it was weird that it was in the freezer still. The supporting cast was interesting and sufficiently fleshed out to make the episode fun to watch. It was just nice to see the guys doing what they do, if that makes sense. 

The BMOL side of things was a bit weaker for me, but not enough to keep me from finding the episode entertaining and watchable. Two things that are sadly in short supply for me this season. 

• Love 1