Type keyword(s) to search

Farscape - General Discussion

millahnna
  • Start Topic

Aeryn mention in this article about Claudia Black's new film...

'FARSCAPE' & 'STARGATE SG-1' FAN FAVE CLAUDIA BLACK TACKLES ‘MORE MATURE’ SPACE ROLE IN THRILLER ‘DEUS’
By Benjamin Bullard   SEPTEMBER 16, 2022
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/deus-the-dark-sphere-claudia-black-sci-fi-thriller-interview 

Karla, Black’s character, anchors the film and brings a tragic backstory along on her extended Achilles tour, which requires the crew to hibernate their way through months of isolated space travel and thus lends an extra layer of gravity to their far-from-home decisions. Talking with SYFY WIRE, Black says there’s a decidedly more grown-up, astute human angle to her leading role in DEUS than what fans have seen from the beloved characters she’s portrayed in Farscape (as Aeryn Sun) and Stargate SG-1 (as Vala Mal Doran).
".... She’s a much more mature woman than we’ve seen compared to other characters I’ve played. Vala was extremely playful; Aeryn was a very sort of tragic, soft-centered heart of an epic space opera. ...."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

There's a web page that just plays Farscape? I clicked on the link and Aeryn was sucking on Crichton's finger because he cut himself. I haven't swooned for over 15 years. 

Looks like!

2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I used to run home in the early 2000s. I was on the west coast and the feed was live.

Lucky you! Here in Oz, most SF/F shows were broadcast late at night. TNG, DS9, B5, Farscape, Buffy, Angel. Oh, Channel 9, I don't miss you. Program the recording to start 5 minutes before, you'd still end up with 30 minutes of... a current affairs show, I think. Some kind of irrelevant nonsense, at any rate.

SG1 was always on at a decent time, which made me happy. Maybe Seaquest and Charmed? I wasn't into those, so I'm not sure. But don't worry, soaps like 90210 and Melrose were on during primetime. Never liked soaps, so I'll admit to being bitter.

Anyway, Farscape!

(edited)

THE 20 BEST SCI-FI TV SHOWS ON PEACOCK: THE CONTINENTAL, FARSCAPE, RESIDENT ALIEN & MORE
By SYFY WIRE Staff   Updated Jan 4, 2024
https://www.syfy.com/syfy-wire/the-best-sci-fi-tv-shows-on-peacock-right-now 

Farscape
Farscape still has a dedicated fanbase even though it's been more than two decades since the show's premiere. The series follows human astronaut John Chrichton (Ben Browder) as he finds himself stranded on an alien world after accidentally getting sucked through a wormhole. In his effort to make it back to Earth, he joins a ragtag group of aliens on the run who soon become his newfound family. It's a show well worth a watch (or rewatch) if you're looking for some awesome space adventure. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

I found myself watching Till The Blood Runs Clear. Overall good, but there's a moment where Aeryn gets in a fistfight. Wow, sound effects have improved in the last 20 years. These ones are just so over the top, it almost sounds like a cartoon. At least the explosion effects are good.

But one of my pet peeves with fights. When you hit an enemy with an object and stagger them, you keep hitting them with the object, don't just throw it away. You keep hitting them until you're sure you've won.

• Like 1

Jeremiah Crichton is not a very good episode, but it contains interesting ideas. Why did the Hynerians impose the tech jamming field on these people? What will their life be like now it's gone?

Also, I saw something crazy. D'argo's head follows a similar design to Moya. Anyone else see that?

vlcsnap-2024-08-07-20h14m55s976.jpg

On 3/27/2024 at 5:07 AM, Anduin said:

I found myself watching Till The Blood Runs Clear. Overall good, but there's a moment where Aeryn gets in a fistfight. Wow, sound effects have improved in the last 20 years. These ones are just so over the top, it almost sounds like a cartoon. At least the explosion effects are good.

But one of my pet peeves with fights. When you hit an enemy with an object and stagger them, you keep hitting them with the object, don't just throw it away. You keep hitting them until you're sure you've won.

And yet when Daredevil does it they call him brutal :-)

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Affogato said:

And yet when Daredevil does it they call him brutal :-)

I didn't see any of the Netflix Marvel shows. Maybe I should.

• Like 1
On 8/7/2024 at 11:46 PM, Anduin said:

Jeremiah Crichton is not a very good episode, but it contains interesting ideas. Why did the Hynerians impose the tech jamming field on these people? What will their life be like now it's gone?

Also, I saw something crazy. D'argo's head follows a similar design to Moya. Anyone else see that?

vlcsnap-2024-08-07-20h14m55s976.jpg

Jeremiah Crichton is considered one of the worst episodes, but like you said, I liked some of its elements.  Besides what you mentioned, it's starts on a good premise that Crichton is fed up with being considered inferior and useless when they all count on him to solve things.  I also like the religion aspect, where Rygel asks for their holy book and explains that every religion has one.  I also like that Rygel wanted what he thought he deserved, not what he could get; he is their sovereign, not their god.  Frankly, I didn't think the episode was as bad as most did.

Never noticed the D'Argo/Moya resemblance.  Maybe they should run a DNA test.  "Who's your daddy?"

• Like 2

I suppose that actually studying the effects of the cultural change is more of a Trek episode. Maybe it's an idea I can make a story out of myself. Been a little thin on the imagination front recently, but maybe I have something now.

You're talking the 'worst' of an absolutely stellar show. It's the fake beard. 

We also forget - "I need some air." "There's plenty of air in here!"
Zhaan, comforting hand on Aeryn "He is Crighton." 

The other part of the episode that's missed is that Aeryn is stuck on Moya, and she's basically doing the Crighton role in figuring out what's going on and hacking up a solution. He even calls her out flirtingly on it afterwards. 

I'd say I, ET is step below this, and I liked that one also. 

• Like 2

Durka Returns! And Chiana is introduced! Interestingly, the first crewmembers she sees are D'argo and then Crichton. Hazy memory suggests that she interacts with those two more than the others. A bit 'start as you mean to go on' there.

I don't actually like Durka very much. It's the talking in an artificially smooth way. Always turns me off. Qimir in the Acolyte was the same. You aren't Gabriel Woolf, please don't try.

So how much of Durka's reversion was due to Rygel's actions? But Rygel was acting in the belief Durka would regress... a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If memory serves, we got one other eposide about the Nebari as a whole. There was a suggestion they could be a new big bad along with the Peacekeepers and Scarrans, but the show never got to that point. Does that plot appear in the comics?

• Like 1

Inspired by the news of a 25th anniversary comic, A Human Reaction. I vaguely remembered John remembering everyone, entering the women's bathroom, and that it was a setup. But I thought the other crewmembers were setups too. So this would be the first time John and Aeryn had it off? Given the snail's pace of my rewatch, I may have forgotten a previous time.

The writer, Justin Monjo, is in my favourite non-Mad Max Aussie movie, Salute of the Jugger/Blood of Heroes, written and directed by David Webb Peoples. And the wheel turns full circle. The comic has a story named Do Leviathans Dream of Biomechanical Sleep? That might be a typo, meaning sheep. Anyway, Peoples co-wrote Blade Runner, based on a Philip K Dick novel, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Only a little bit of Chiana? This must have been when they were reworking the scripts to fit her in. But why no Zhaan either?

This episode is worryingly plausible. Not the space stuff, but John leaping at the chance to go home, and the government reacting with hostility/cold-blooded science towards the aliens. While it's all very well done, it's just uncomfortable watching.

Oh, hey, the beer they drink is Victoria Bitter! Well named. I don't like beer, and that stuff is especially bad. It's also known as Vomit Brew. At least it isn't Fosters, which is Australian for 'I'm gullible enough to believe a marketing slogan.'

Curious how a woman in man's clothes generally looks better than the other way around. In fact, Aeryn in the shirt and jacket looks better than her even in the dress.

Funny thing, I've seen women's bathrooms in games. Any Ancient wanting to fool me could easily extrapolate that to real life.

That one Ancient muppet really isn't good. It just looks really dumb. I don't blame the design team that much, they only have so much time and budget to come up with these things. Such is life.

Outside the wonky muppet, this is one of the stronger episodes.

• Like 1

I think there's extra minutes when the show aired on Channel Nine that confirmed John and Aeryn had sex in this episode. Or, when I listened to the commentaries they said something. 

Problem for me is that I've walked into too many women's bathrooms by accident so I would have got fooled. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think there's extra minutes when the show aired on Channel Nine that confirmed John and Aeryn had sex in this episode. Or, when I listened to the commentaries they said something. 

Problem for me is that I've walked into too many women's bathrooms by accident so I would have got fooled. 

Yeah, I was just wondering if I forgot anything that happened in a previous episode.

Through the Looking Glass is a good one. Interesting plot, great dialogue. I remembered the crazy light and Aeryn being all science, but that was about it. Have the Farscape actors ever talked about getting their scripts? There must have been some moments like 'what the hell do I do with this?' And indeed how the writers came up with some of this stuff.

I sometimes wish the show made a little more sense, but I also enjoy the bonkers aspect too. I'm split.

The last scene, where they're all talking and laughing, it felt a little force to me. But in-universe, I bet they think back on all that food when they're reduced to crackers. Also, two extradimensional entities in two episodes. I think that's excessive even by Trek standards. But a good episode, thumbs way up.

• Like 1

I think either this one is the first one I saw or the intro to Chiana was. The only knock is that it's kind of a 'reset' because all they had to do was back out of it. 

But all the dimension hopping and effects on each of them was clever and original. 

Going back to the beginning though, it's good and continuing character development using her brain and 'being more'. 

• Like 2

A Bug's Life. Very tense. John's terrible accent, which I know I'll hear more of going forward. :( But Chiana gets the line of the episode! "Is everybody aboard this ship kinkoid?" No, just the writers. Speaking of which, looks like this is where they caught up to having her aboard. A lot more to do than the last two episodes.

Now, Peacekeeper ranks. They seem to have the same names as Earth ranks, but here we have two captains in different uniforms to both each other and the only other captain we've seen. Neither John nor Larraq defer to each other, which suggests they're the same rank. In real life, US navy/coast guard captain is O-6, higher than the other branches, who have captain at O-3. I get different uniforms for different duties, but you'd think John and Crais would have the same 'in charge of a large ship' uniform vs the special ops uniform. I can't imagine we'll ever get an answer, but I still like to highlight this confusing situation.

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be another insect one like Exodus From Genesis. Nope, bug as in virus. Very clever.

D'Argo gets rid of his chains at the end, and swears never to be captive again. My memory is pretty hazy, but I have the feeling he does get locked up a time or two going forward. Poor guy.

Ooh, mention of the Gammak Base! I know that plays into the S1 finale, but have no memory of how. Going to be interesting tomorrow night. Speculation, some kind of complication with Moya's pregnancy, they need help.