Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E00: On The Record

A musical evening at the Ryman  featuring the stars of Nashville.

There was so much good music tonight and I am not really a fan of country music. Claire Bowen captured the evening. She was fantastic.

I enjoyed the concert special. Clare Bowen really is a great singer -- that was a terrific performance of "Black Roses." Chaley Rose looked nervous, but she and the boys did a good job. Hayden Panettiere always looks nervous when she sings live -- she's so different from Juliette -- but I thought she sounded very nice on "Nothing in This World Will Ever Break My Heart Again." I thought she sounded a bit auto-tuned on "Don't Put Dirt On My Grave Just Yet," though. And Charles Esten is always solid. Will Chase sounded weakest to me, funnily enough (I know the guy's a Broadway star and can really sing).

I really liked how most of the songwriters got to participate in some way, either by playing an instrument or singing backup. I also enjoyed listening to Clare Bowen's Australian accent (her voice is much deeper than Scarlett's, too) and Sam Palladio's English one. I also thought it was cool that several of the actors have been writing original songs with songwriters they've met through the show.

• Love 1

I FF'd through most of the music. I was really hoping for more from the songwriters & background info. I would've just deleted the whole thing once I realized the info was sparse, but I kept hoping the Stella sisters would sing. I like country music & like some of the songs being performed, but I'm not crazy about some of the singers. I didn't catch if they told us why Connie Britton was absent, but I've always thought she had the weakest voice so I wasn't surprised.

Cranberry, I agree about Will Chase, which really surprised me.  At least in that first song with the boys, "It's On Tonight".  It's not so much that I thought he sounded bad (although the first line seemed a little strained to me) but all his laughing made me think of myself when I'm doing karaoke and feel ridiculous.   Charles Esten seemed really comfortable, and Chris Carmack was like "Just another day at the office, I'm not sweatin' anything" 

Oh, one more thought -- As much as I hate Layla, I really like Aubrey Peeples' voice.  It looks like "Tell Me" was performed and is one of the bonus tracks on the "On the Record" CD.  I'm sorry we didn't get to see it!  The other bonus track is "Believing" with Charles Esten and songwriter Kate York, which also sounds really nice

Edited by marieYOTZ

I have always liked Buddy Miller's work with wife Julie, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin and Emmylou.

It was great to hear some of the songs & see the writers get a little respect away from the context of the show.

I didn't miss Connie Britton at all but I REALLY missed the Lennon sisters.

Great fun, at least the first few songs. The three guys in the beginning cracked me up.

Clare did an especially great job I thought.

Honestly, I didn't really like the song selection. Very few fun, sing along songs. Personally I hate Black Roses, and don't think there is anything country about it. Both of Juliette's songs felt like downers to me. Too much slow and or depressing stuff. I like the first two songs and that's it.

having the songwriters onstage was awesome. But I though it was a wasted opportunity.

Maybe I am being critical, but I thought the interviews were lame and superficial. How many times do we have to hear how grateful and honored e very one is, or how awesome to play the Ryman? So many more interesting things could have been discussed! And Hayden almost all they talked about was her stage fright.

It was nice to see them perform, and to hear what little we did from the writers. But I was really disappointed by the show.

Edited by Midru

Where were the Lennon sisters?! I missed them, especially on that last song.

Charles Esten looked like he was loving every second of it.

I wish JJ would have had a solo or even another song with the trio. I also missed him playing guitar for Hayden during "Don't Put Dirt...". I missed seeing them interact with one another.

I thought Hayden did great, especially considering she was nervous. You could see her relaxing and getting into it. It was fun to watch.

I could tell Chaley was nervous, too. Once they all started singing together it was much better. I love that song! Did I mention that I wish that trio would have done another song?

I would have liked more behind the scenes with the song writers as well.

I think Clare has a beautiful voice, and I can see why they wanted her to perform so much, but that left so little time for the other talented members of the cast to be showcased. They should have just called it "Clare Bowen and the Rest of the Cast From Nashville Perform." 

Very enjoyable, though I do suppose more up songs could have been included (and the Lennon sisters).  Connie Britton did a brief intro for the trailer for the last two episodes of the season, saying she was sorry she couldn't be at the Ryman with everyone else, but there was no further explanation or mention.  Claire Bowen was very good, as noted, maybe even more effective away from Scarlett's "squirreliness."  I agree about Charles Esten--but then I love him, period. 

My favorite number actually was "I'm Not Leaving Without Your Love."  Those three make a fine trio.

Reading Zombie, I do agree that JJ should have had a bit more time on the show even if it was just his guitar work. I think that JJ is one of the best guitarists on the show.

• Love 1

My favorite number actually was "I'm Not Leaving Without Your Love."  Those three make a fine trio.

I agree, that's the one I wanted to go back and rewatch right away. With "If I Didn't Know Better" a close second.

This special just made me love the show that much more (and want more music on the show). They really all held their own quite well.

I've really enjoyed all the Web "backstage music specials," and I thought this expanded version was fantastic. My only complaint was that it was too short. Clare Bowen owned the show, and I kind of wish it had just been her, either dueting with everyone or singing solo. She reminds me of a cross between Dolly Parton and Alison Krauss, and much as I find Scarlett's breakdown story interesting, it's kind of a bummer that the most talented character and performer on the show doesn't get to be a driven badass. "Black Roses" was just gorgeous, and "If I Didn't Know Better" is so sultry. I loved that they involved the actual songwriters, and that some of the cast and the songwriters have gotten together and written on their own. The cast of this show is tremendously talented, that's for sure.

According to Twitter, Lennon and Maisy Stella had a scheduling conflict and Connie Britton was sick when they filmed the special.

• Love 1

I really dislike Scarlett so it was hard to let it go and enjoy Clare Bowen, but I agree that she was excellent.  I thought "I Ain't Leavin' Without Your Love" was excellent, and "Nothing in this World Will Ever Break My Heart Again" is one of my favorite songs of all time so I was happy to hear it. 

However, I was disappointed in the interviews and "stories behind the songs" as well.  We needed more of that. 

I heart Chip Esten, we needed more of him, too.

I once cut my foot on a piece of glass on my way to perform on stage and didn't realize I was bleeding until about 20 seconds into the number. Ever since then, I cringe whenever I see people barefoot onstage (or backstage). You don't know what's on that floor until you step on it. Be safe and wear shoes!

I agree that it would have been nice to have more of the background/story stuff with the songwriters but if we had to have a filler episode, then I'd rather see the actors get to sing as themselves (rather than their characters) than have a clip show.

(edited)

I don't know if it's a thing, but it's not rare. I think some people are just more comfortable without shoes. Joss Stone, in particular, is known for performing barefoot.

Edited by madam magpie

I love being barefoot at home but I refuse to perform barefoot anymore.

There's really no reason why anyone needs to sing barefoot (as opposed to some dancers who prefer being barefoot so they can feel the floor), but many performers like to be comfortable when singing. Kind of funny when you compare a girl wearing a tank top and long skirt singing barefoot as opposed to the performers who are expected to be in tight short dresses with high heels. Shakira is a singer who has done both.

Hope someone knows - I'm a huge fan of the music and not finding this anywhere.

Who was the session guitar player doing a lot of the "country" stuff? Not Buddy Miller, but the other guy, kinda beefy with the black beard. Whenever they showed close ups of somebody's hands on a guitar, it was him. Looks easy until you try to do it. So who does Buddy Miller pick to play guitar with him on stage?