Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: I'm A Friend You

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

Trial and Error (blergh) came on for me.  From the dearth of responses, it doesn't look like anyone else saw it either.
I'll check Hulu in a few days.

I saw Trial and Error on my onscreen cable guide this afternoon, so I didn't even bother looking in.

I am loving this show.

I LOVE  the metaness of the Emily-verb stuff.  It's a tip of the hat to Community's Britta-ing (she's still the worst).  (Same with how Teddy/Danny Pudi mentioned that Donald Glover is from Atlanta.)

Emily is thisclose to being annoying, but I like her so far.  I hope that this show keeps the perky-bordering-on-annoying to a minimum. 

Wendy is meh, but I love the rest of the supporting cast.  I love Emily, and her dead-inside personality is a direct result of having to work for Van for years.  And glad that Danny Pudi is able to break out of his iconic character Abed.  Go, Teddy.

I am crushing on Van.  I love everything about him.  Poor Bruce, his company will be in financial ruin (or at least second to LexCorp) because of Van.

I love that Bruce Wayne and Batman are unseen supporting characters in this show.  Their presence is felt in every episode.  I love that this show gives a sense of humor and lightness to them.

• Love 3

Hey, they actually aired the episode this time.  How "considerate" of you, NBC.

Enjoyed seeing more of Emily and Jackie's.... err, not friendship, but I guess bond?  I'm warming up to Emily now, even if I still think Vanessa Hudgens isn't the greatest actress out there, but at least her annoyances come from the right place.  Also glad that her co-workers seem less flat-out mean to her, and more of the insults are closer to ribbing and joking, so I don't feel like they are just being jackasses anymore.  Although, Wendy is still a miss.  I'm not sure why she isn't working for me.  It's not just being mean, because Jackie can be that, but I'm really enjoying her.

The B-plot with Van's bathroom was hilarious.  I knew Peter the Janitor was going to be involved, but I thought it was going to be the obvious "He was the one using it the entire time", but I like that it was really everyone using it (pretty sure I even saw Emily!), and he's just covering it up, due to Van not even knowing his name, because he's that vain.  Van is still cracking me up: Alan Tudyk is perfection in the role.

Fun episode.  Hopefully, there will be another episode next week, and NBC won't suddenly decide it needs to air Trial & Error again for some damn reason.

• Love 4

I'm glad this was finally back on last night! It's a cute show, although the superhero connection to last night's episode was pretty weak I did like seeing Emily and Jackie bond. I even kind of like Wendy now. But I do hope they'll continue with the idea of what it means for Charm City not to have a superhero anymore; I mean, shouldn't this R&D team be working overtime right now to help keep the citizens safe?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Although, Wendy is still a miss.  I'm not sure why she isn't working for me.

Maybe because, when she used Van's bathroom, she didn't even close the door?  (Although when Van was questioning her, her "are you flirting with me?" reaction and going directly to unbuttoning her pants were pretty funny.)

Also, I lost track of the toilet puns; I think Van had one in every other sentence he spoke, and they only lampshaded one ("log").

• Love 2

I rather liked this episode, low-key as it was, though I couldn't help thinking: "Why is Crimson Fox pulling a LeBron, anyway?"  And like swimmyfish above I do hope this means we get some sort of extended, if likely background-noise-level, look at post-signature-hero life in Charm City...the city that had to beg for a WNBA team.  Ouch.

Jackie moonlighting as an Uber driver (and I'm a little surprised they actually went with Uber, but IIRC the show invoked it a couple of eps back...?) to get some extra money for grad school because the hell with Van was a nice touch, even if it was mainly a reason for Emily to...Emily...it up in the name of helping her friend.  It was the softest touch we've probably seen out of Jackie so far, even counterbalanced by her possessing those mad armlock skills.

As for the #2 plot...I did love how all in they went with it pun-wise, even to the point of invoking a ukulele jingle.  The ukulele is the real MVP.

• Love 3

"We had to beg for a WMBA team!"

This episode had Emily getting close to annoying, without actually crossing into the boarder of True Annoyance. I liked seeing her and Jackie actually bonding at the end of the episode. United in a common enemy of creepy hotdog venders!

Looks like Crimson Fox has pulled a LeBron (thank you Bill. C) and left for greener pastures, which will hopefully mean more wacky adventures of the Gang trying to find new ways to deal with the ever present threat of ridiculous super villains. Who will their cities next D List hero be?!?!

Van is The Best. I could watch AT hiding from Bees all day long. I thought that it might be the janitor using the special bathroom, but finding out that EVERYONE was using it, and the janitor was covering it up, was much funnier.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/31/2017 at 0:47 PM, tennisgurl said:

This episode had Emily getting close to annoying, without actually crossing into the border of True Annoyance.

I don't know.  I'm rather disappointed that the writers have taken a step back and again started writing Emily as being so needy and desperate for friends (seriously, hasn't she met ANYONE outside of work yet to whom she relates?) that she still tries way too hard to bond with someone like Jacki.  Even worse, she not only doesn't know when to quit, but she also can't read the room and back off even when Jackie tells her point-blank to back off and butt out.

Come on, Emily, you've been working there at least six months now.  Haven't you learned anything yet about the right way to build positive relationships?  The first step is actually listening when people try to tell you something for your own good.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
On 3/31/2017 at 0:36 PM, Bill C. said:

Jackie moonlighting as an Uber driver (and I'm a little surprised they actually went with Uber, but IIRC the show invoked it a couple of eps back...?) to get some extra money for grad school because the hell with Van was a nice touch, even if it was mainly a reason for Emily to...Emily...it up in the name of helping her friend.  It was the softest touch we've probably seen out of Jackie so far, even counterbalanced by her possessing those mad armlock skills.

As for the #2 plot...I did love how all in they went with it pun-wise, even to the point of invoking a ukulele jingle.  The ukulele is the real MVP.

I hope Jackie had a supervillain clause in her auto insurance -- because she's going to need more than the $500 she needs for night school to replace her car -- even for the deductible.

Van's "who used my toilet ?" mystery is the #2 plot.  Hah !!

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I hope Jackie had a supervillain clause in her auto insurance -- because she's going to need more than the $500 she needs for night school to replace her car -- even for the deductible.

I would think that there would be an exclusion for "supervillain acts," since they're so commonplace in Charm City that insurance carriers would go bankrupt from having to pay out all the claims.  Remember that the original concept of the show was that everyone worked for just such an insurance company (this was later simply referred to as the "soul-crushing job" that Emily had had before she came to work for Van as the new supervisor of R & D), and, in fact, the original pilot had Van complaining because the adjusters were allowing too many "supervillain" claims and threatened to cut off everyone's bagel/donut supply unless they started denying more claims.

Oh, and that reminds me:  Emily seems to have forgotten that, with the exception of Jackie and Van, everyone else she works with is her subordinate.  I want to see her actually doing her job, which is supervising Teddy, Ron, and Wendy.  That doesn't, however, mean that I want to see her trying to micromanage their personal lives as she has a tendency to do (it's how she broke Teddy, after all).

Edited by legaleagle53

This was a decent episode but the only thing that made me laugh was Wendy flirting with Van. I do like that there was some progress in the Emily/Jackie relationship but shows like Trial & Error and Superstore are still more consistently funny for me. I think I just need some time to watch 30 Rock and Parks & Rec on Netflix.