Type keyword(s) to search

Archie Andrews: Town Golden Boy

• Start Topic

I loved one poster describing him as looking like a boxer in his late 20's. I do think KJ Apa does manage to make Archie SOUND like a young teenaged boy. It gives hm this puppy dog vibe.

I mean, I do think he's in the grand tradition of leads that are bland while being surrounded by more interesting supporting characters. He's most similar to Scott in Teen Wolf, although Scott was pretty loyal to his girls while Archie seems to move on real quick.

Mmm... sorry but I think you misspelled boring there... :)
You are right, I think he is affected by the curse of the lead.

To be honest, the whole cast is played by people who do not look 15. That or there is definitely something in the water.

• Love 1

And the funny thing is, he's the only one who's still technically a teenager. At least for another 3 months. LOL.

It is good idea to have Dawson and Pacey living together. It'll help cement Foreman and Hyde's friendship. For awhile, it seemed like Scott and Stiles were barely friends, much less childhood friends.  I just hope we see a lot of good scenes with Brandon and Dylan bonding. Maybe Fonzie will make Richie at least a little more interesting.

• Love 6

Since I haven't seen him in anything else I can't tell if KJ Apa's performance suffers because he's focused on holding on to his accent or if he's just not very good. He has moments but I've found him one of the weaker actors in the show.

6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It is good idea to have Dawson and Pacey living together. It'll help cement Foreman and Hyde's friendship. For awhile, it seemed like Scott and Stiles were barely friends, much less childhood friends.  I just hope we see a lot of good scenes with Brandon and Dylan bonding. Maybe Fonzie will make Richie at least a little more interesting.

LOL! I do hope we see more of them together though. This episode where Archie was involved in helping Jughead is the most I've liked him (aside from his occasional moments with Val). He seems to do a little better when he's in more of a supporting role. 

13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I mean, I do think he's in the grand tradition of leads that are bland while being surrounded by more interesting supporting characters

Also in the grand tradition of Archies he's always been kind of a bland somewhat lovable dolt. Not too bright but sort of a nice guy if more than a little oblivious so the show has that down pat.

Edited by dippydee
  • Love 2

I think its been just 7 episodes so it would be jumping the gun to say that a lead is boring or not. The majority of the online complaint has been that Archie has been isolated from the mystery storyline. Its going to change in the second half of the season. Archie will be integrated into the Jason murder case and will be getting some darker shades.

Regarding being the lead of the show or not, its an ensemble show but if anyone qualifies as being the lead it is Archie. He is connected to all the major storylines and major characters in the show which cannot be said about the others. Music is an important part of the show and Archie will be at the forefront apart from the pussycats. Sports will be an important part of the show and Archie will share the spotlight there with Reggy and moose. Any mystery that will be will  be upcoming will involve the core four since the major feedback that Greg Berlanti had given after watching the first few episodes was that the whole gang should be involved. Roberto, the EP, has acknowledged it as one of the major takeaways that they are going to rectify/have rectified going forward. So, being connected to the major potential storylines and characters, makes Archie as the lead even if it is an ensemble show.

Regarding acting, I don't see any major gulf between KJ Apa and the others. I think he is doing a good enough job. If anyone wants to see some ridiculous acting then just watch Mehcad Brooks on Supergirl, That is a bad actor even for CW standards. Kj Apa is good enough for CW and does play emotions well like the scene between Fred and him after the Grundy Fiasco. Everyone has their bad moments. For ex, what Cole Sprouse was trying to convey through his acting during the scene with his father outside the Sheriffs office, only god knows. That might have been the most cringe worthy moment of the show and was superby saved by the underrated but superb acting of Skeet Ulrich. 

Regarding looks, lets just say that a majority of the Fandom will say that KJ Apa is the hottest of the cast.

Edited by abhi
  • Love 1
(edited)
17 hours ago, dippydee said:

Also in the grand tradition of Archies he's always been kind of a bland somewhat lovable dolt. Not too bright but sort of a nice guy if more than a little oblivious so the show has that down pat.

I think the thing about Archie is that of all the characters, he really does feel and act like a teenager. I knew guys like him when I was 17- the cute, kind of dumb but earnest type of guy who is so good at everything that it makes you want to vomit but you can't help but kind of like him.

He would fit right in on an earnest Canadian t.v. teen drama from the early 2000's on The N or pre-Pretty Little Liars ABC Family. But in the heightened baby noir reality of this particular show, it doesn't quite work. Having him more involved with Jughead's life is a step in the right direction, I think.

KJ Apa is pretty new to acting so I'm willing to cut him slack. As opposed to the guy who plays Scott on Teen Wolf. Dude has been acting since he was like 5 and he's still not good. Tyler's even aware of it, but then Linden Ashby basically had to assure him on the Teen Wolf after-show that he's just as good as Dylan. Like, okay there.

He's very active on his Twitter. Seems like a charming kid. If you ever thought he might be a 30-year old just passing himself off as 19, this would pretty much dispel those notions. Dude is such a kid. (Not in a bad way. More like a bittersweet "God, I remember that age" kind of way.)

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Seems like a charming kid. If you ever thought he might be a 30-year old just passing himself off as 19, this would pretty much dispel those notions. Dude is such a kid. (Not in a bad way. More like a bittersweet "God, I remember that age" kind of way.)

I think KJ's absolutely adorable. I've seen a few of his interviews and I love his goofy laugh. He seems like he's having a blast with the whole thing and displays way more spark in them than he does as Archie. I just don't enjoy is acting or his character on the show quite as much.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, dippydee said:

I think KJ's absolutely adorable. I've seen a few of his interviews and I love his goofy laugh. He seems like he's having a blast with the whole thing and displays way more spark in them than he does as Archie. I just don't enjoy is acting or his character on the show quite as much.

I think it's pretty cute that he sat in a mall food court and thought about how much he wants to be Spiderman. Not PLAY Spiderman, but be one.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Sonoma said:

Being the central "good" character of a show can be trickier than being a quirky character or villain.

This is very true, and even more true for an iconic "good guy" like Archie. It is not an easy role. Archie is a bit bland in comparison to the other characters. And then he gets stuck with the chemistry-less Grundy romance and the "poor me I'm great at football and play music too" storyline. At least Betty the "good girl" got her possibly nuts edge. They just need to find an edge for Archie. Something that makes the character a little more colorful and lively. I've not seen KJ in anything else, but from what I've seen here I do think he can handle it, they just haven't yet given him much to work with.

• Love 1
(edited)

KJ is so cute but like some other people I think Archie is boring lol. I hope they make him more involved in the murder mystery.  

Edited by ban1o
On 4/6/2017 at 10:39 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Oh my, he looks like a baby!

...he's 14 there.

Damn, the kid IS talented.

As to Archie, god, it really does feel like the writers are just throwing things are on a dart board and seeing what sticks. He hasn't had any kind of consistent arc or relationship all season long.

The "love interest change" every other episode makes me think of Brandon Walsh.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

As to Archie, god, it really does feel like the writers are just throwing things are on a dart board and seeing what sticks. He hasn't had any kind of consistent arc or relationship all season long.

Much like Archie in the comics.  

Here's a suggestion for something to throw at the dartboard: making Archie's clumsiness/being accident-prone a thing on the show.  Knocking things over at inopportune moments (like mystery-connected snooping), accidentally breaking stuff (come on - Mr. Lodge is gonna come on eventually - let's see his karma for all his misdeeds become having Archie being a major presence in his life) - and falling into cakes and pies headfirst.

(edited)

So it looks like Archie will be dealing with the trauma of seeing his father shot/possibly die right in front of him. KJ, you're cute as hell but man I hope you can handle that kind of storyline.

It does feel like it needed to be done to give Archie a reason to be pulled into the darkness of the show.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

The writers struggled with writing this character in the early going (which isn't to say he didn't have any good material, but he wasn't a particularly significant contributor to the narrative), but I think Archie really came together as a character from about Episode 10 onward.  The setup for his story next season, between the stuff with his dad and what I imagine will be some engaging dynamics with Veronica and her father, is also promising.

• Love 3
On 3/19/2017 at 1:59 AM, methodwriter85 said:

KJ Apa is pretty new to acting so I'm willing to cut him slack. As opposed to the guy who plays Scott on Teen Wolf. Dude has been acting since he was like 5 and he's still not good. Tyler's even aware of it, but then Linden Ashby basically had to assure him on the Teen Wolf after-show that he's just as good as Dylan. Like, okay there.

Damn, did Ashby's pants burst into flame on camera?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, morakot said:

His lisp is distracting to me.

Is that what it is? I've noticed something off about his voice, thought it was the way he pronounced his S's or maybe he had a non-American accent that bled through every once in a while. 

You can hear his accent slip once in a while, very discreet and unintentional. It's a bit of a shame because it's such a cute accent and sometimes I just wish he could just talk normal... I mean why can't Archie be from new Zealand?!? It's not as if the show is straight from the comic books!!!

I'm looking forward to archie getting a more proper storyline and that he's meant to become the "hero" as RAS has mentioned... I am wondering how are they going to do it or how "different" archie is going to be... I'm afraid it'll create even more animosity between him and his bestfriend, or hardship with Veronica since maybe he'll blame the lodges for the hit... the possibilities are endless... Here's hoping Kj will do a good job...

On 3/18/2017 at 10:21 AM, abhi said:

underrated but superb acting of Skeet Ulrich

This.  

I just binged the show and when Ulrich showed up the first time I was thrilled.  He never gets the glory, he's not a showy actor.  But he is very, very good.  Everything I've seen him in is better for his having been there.  I'm glad to see him on this show.  

• Love 2
On 5/17/2017 at 2:44 PM, asabovesobelow said:

Is that what it is? I've noticed something off about his voice, thought it was the way he pronounced his S's or maybe he had a non-American accent that bled through every once in a while. 

It's not just with the American accent.

(edited)

My god, Archie even cries like Dawson Leery.

On the other hand, he has a much, much, much nicer chest.

The one thing I do like is that Apa does a good job of showing us how much of a kid Archie is. Archie with the baseball bat was menacing yet childishly sweet at the same time. Like he think he can protect Daddy from the mean ol' men trying to hurt him with a baseball bat.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3

This latest episode was probably the most tightly-focused hour in the show's history thus far, and it was pretty squarely on Archie.  And it worked, which shows how far they've come with this character.  I'm glad.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, SeanC said:

This latest episode was probably the most tightly-focused hour in the show's history thus far, and it was pretty squarely on Archie.  And it worked, which shows how far they've come with this character.  I'm glad.

Yeah, it really was.

I do think KJ has gotten better. And now Archie finally feels like part of the show instead of some spin-off of High School Musical.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I want to slap Archie for being so stupid in regards to Hiram.

Agreed. Also as someone who read a spoiler in which the actress who plays Hermione said Archie did something in the finale proving his love for Veronica, I was left being like “he stupidly threatened Hiram that he has intentions of hurting him or telling someone of all the people he had killed and then pulled out a knife and stabbed his desk” really?

Im also confused about why Hiram decided to frame him for the murder of Cassidy. As I said in this episodes thread, I don’t see how that story is going to be go a full season. If anything Hiram should have had him charged with something related to the Nick St. Clair stuff. Hell Hiram could even get himself back in with the St. Clairs and all their business they used to have together.