Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: Swept Away

• Start Topic

109653_D0589b_FULL.jpg

Elizabeth’s landmark global climate treaty with more than 200 countries is jeopardized when China threatens to back out due to her meeting with an ailing Dalai Lama. Also, Henry worries about his undercover operative’s safety, and Jay is surprised when Abby serves him with a custody agreement for their daughter.

Promos

I enjoyed briefly living in a world with a President Dalton and Elizabeth as SOS. Now I return to a world more like, to quote Russell Jackson: ". . . the public move on from sad polar bears to cute baby saviors," and the roles of the fictional Dalton and the freshman senator from PA seem reversed.  

A few years ago some monks came to the campus where I am employed and did a sand painting. I took time to watch for a bit, but now wish I'd stayed to see it "swept away."  

I was briefly worried that Henry's asset was going to leave with the telltale candy wrapper. When he didn't, I should have seen that as the good omen (right?) it was intended to be.

Edited by shapeshifter
formatting; clarity
  • Love 1

In so many ways, that was an utterly beautiful episode, about all the ways in which people must "let go." (And the Henry show.)

Also: we finally got to meet Conrad's new VP, and she rocks. I hope we see more of her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I was briefly worried that Henry's asset was going to leave with the telltale candy wrapper.

He took long enough to open that, didn't he?  I wonder if that was intentional or if just wasn't going right and they decided to leave it in there. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Also: we finally got to meet Conrad's new VP, and she rocks. I hope we see more of her.

I was worried because you may recall that she became VP out of political expediency. It's also a common trope for the President and the VP to not get along on TV shows.

But it turns out she's a cool, sensible person who supports the team and plays poker with Nadine. I agree, she's pretty awesome!

I'm a Buddhist (although not Tibetan), and I was struck by how accurately and respectfully they portrayed Buddhism. The last speech by the monk also seems like exactly the sort of thing my teacher would say about a situation like this. It wouldn't surprise me if they got some actual monks to portray those roles (and maybe even create the mandala).

• Love 10

I'm beginning to wonder if Sebastian Arcelus might have plans to leave the show although it would be odd since he's only become a regular this season while he was guest the first two seasons. But his arc could possibly serve as an exit arc. Would definitely be a pity if that happened!

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, memememe76 said:

Jay's storyline was rage inducing. If they want to fix their marriage, the wife should get a new job as a secret CIA or FBI agent.

I must be having a Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory) moment; sarcasm? Or do you mean if the writers  want to fix the marriage (rather than the characters)?

I'm beginning to wonder if Sebastian Arcelus might have plans to leave the show although it would be odd since he's only become a regular this season while he was guest the first two seasons. But his arc could possibly serve as an exit arc. 

I certainly hope not, but it's a logical thought. When he realized that he had to let go of his daughter (more or less) in order for her to have the kind of stability she needs, that's the same kind of clarity that might lead him to think: I need to be my daughter's father more than I need to save the world. (Though in his conversation with the wife, you could also see why he's a very good good diplomat.)

• Love 4

I'm  tired of Henry being a spy. I'm tired of him nurturing assets. What was wrong with him being  a college professor? 

Why do we always have to have supporting characters have marriage problems?  We never needed Jays home life to be  so up front before- why now?

I'm rapidly losing enjoyment watching this show. 

• Love 2

I too thought about the monks doing the mandala in the white house in House of Cards.  Those monks get around.

Decent enough depiction of the what is likely to be a very real conflict when the current Dalai Lama dies, which is supposed to be quite soon.