Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7 Wishlist

Taeolas

So with Season 6 in the bag, and Season 7 coming up, what would people wish to see?

I'll start with some of the more comment wishes.

* More variety! Less monsters and creatures. Bring back the Body Paint challenge. The Age Make up challenges. The Wound challenge.  (But you can leave the 'disguise yourself' challenge outside)

* More time! One complaint a friend of mine has had that I've seen repeated here (and on TWOP) often is that the talent pool seems to be drying up. I disagree. I think the problem is that the producers seem to be thinking Less Time + More stress == More Drahma!

Thankfully the contestants usually are mature enouhg not to fall into that trap, which keeps Face Off so enjoyable, but I'd rather have better final products and less drah-ma! attempts. 

If they gave them 3 days production + 1 day to dress the model instead of the current 2+1, I'm sure the final projects will be that much better. Sure it cuts down on the "Oh nos! The mold has seized!" drama, but it also cuts down on the paniced splash paint and go at the end as well. (Some challenges they can stick with the 2+1 format, and have a spotlight challenge on the first day instead or something)

So anything else people would love to see in the coming seasons? 

Definitely fewer monsters. I don't know that they'll ever add time, but it might be fun to have a challenge where there was a technique they were not allowed to use - "make your creature look bigger without using a body mold" or something like that. I'd have to think it through more.

Iconic children's entertainment from previous eras might be an interesting theme. Create a character to add to Captain Kangaroo, for example. You add a monster to Captain Kangaroo and you are gone!

• Love 1

Oh yeah, that was one I thought of. Celebrity impersonation. Make the model look like someone famous. For added oomph, have them pick from a premade celebrity list then 'surprise' them with the celebrities on set for comparing with.

Children show creatures would be great (and is something they have been doing lately, with the Wonka and Seuss themes; even if some contestants missed the point)

Jim Hensen's show had a challenge with an extra day, and the improved quality in general was very noticable. Even if it isn't for all the challenges, give them an extra day every few challenges might give us some great looks. 

I was just relieved to see by the preview that Season 7 is already in the can. I read an article the other day that made it sound like it was just renewed for a July premiere, and that would have been a disaster. I also hope there is more variety, because I've had a really hard time paying attention to Season 6, due to monster burnout.

I would love the extra time. I think it would be great to see how much of a difference it could make.

I'd like the lessening of monsters/horror as well. It seems like so many challenges end up that way even if they could go differently so actually limiting the contestants ability to make monster after monster might need to somehow be incorporated.

I'd also add staying away from chatting back at the house. So far it's been limited & hasn't added to the drama, but each time they show the contestants there I can't help but imagine TPTB trying to stir up things. I love the camaraderie & general pleasantness of the contestants on the show & I would hate for that to change.

I'd also add staying away from chatting back at the house.

The thing that I don't like about the house chats is that they're so bland. "So, we made it another round. Now we have to really bring our best game." I feel like the directors are trying to get us emotionally involved, but these are just conversations stating the obvious. U̶n̶f̶o̶r̶t̶u̶n̶a̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ I think the contestants are mature and careful enough to avoid saying anything genuine on camera ("Dude, I think you totally got robbed on that last challenge" or "I can't believe I skated by on the train wreck I came up with!"), so this is what we're left with.

Edited by Reishe

Repeat of the above: 

~more time
~less monsters
~more creativity on challenges (age makeup is intriguing, wounds and burns would be interesting)
~more interaction at the house... usually this is used to create drama (someone bitching about leaving their clothes on the floor or resentments brought home from the shop), but what I actually want is a bit more back story to the people. I completely forgot that Rashaad's girlfriend was pregnant... but I had no idea that George's girlfriend was hours from popping. I have no idea about any one else's history and it would be nice to get an idea of how they got into makeup, pictures of their first molds or first finished pieces (or just doing bros/sis halloween makeup). Just something to give us a more rounded picture. 
~I'd like to see a judge join in the day 2 walk through. 

• Love 1

I'd like more variation in materials. I'm not sure how the show would legislate that, but I'm always happy when someone does something besides pouring a mold and making latex appliances.

Also, continue to cast mostly nice people who help each other out.

• Love 1

I agree with most of the suggestions. I'd actually like to see them increase the last looks time, so we get fewer really crappy paint jobs. I'd rather have cooler looking creatures, than the same old OMG not gonna finish! Drama every week. I'm afraid simply increasing production time, which I would also like, will still have people fiddling with other things and leaving paint for last looks.

Just thought of another one. I wish the judges would declare up-front, for the entire season, just how important emoting and mobility are going to be. Or even from challenge to challenge, if they would make it clear how important it will be whether the actor is able to act. Sometimes the judges ooh and aah over a sculpt that ends up pretty much immobile, and sometimes they make a big deal that an actor can emote through the makeup. (If these guys are looking for jobs in the film industry, I'm assuming it would be an important consideration.)

• Love 1

Oooh, increasing last looks time to get better paint jobs would be nice. I do really think 3+1 challenge days has only made the last episodes of this season better, and I wouldn't object to that being the norm. But it also obviously doesn't lead to that much more painting being done ahead of time -- the artists just get more ambitious and still run out of time.

Other than that, yes, please bring back more of the makeup aspect of the job. The aging challenge in particular was always a fantastic look at what these folks are able to do when they're not in "go big or go home" mindset. I can only think that out in the industry they'll be asked to do that kind of work more often than gore and teeth. Plus, the monsters all start to look the same after a while.

And as much as I do not want this to in any way begin to resemble Project Runway, I think "unconventional materials" type challenges, where the artists have to prominently incorporate a certain material or aren't allowed to use a certain material, would be fascinating.

Unconventional material challenges are good, and it is something we've seen in the past. Usually in the form of having to incorporate the texture or look of the material more than the material itself, but either is fine.

I'd love to see a dual aging challenge. Get some identical twins again, and make one look younger, while the other look older.

More beauty make up would be great. Create some princes and princesses to show off the skills without adding blood or gashes or fangs. 

More Last Looks time would be great; give them more time to do the final work and fix up anything that broke in transit. 

More days for the big challenges would be great too. Not only do you give the contestants more time, you give wardrobe and the rest of the off-screen minions time to get what the contestant really wants for their looks. ("I wanted a small stuffed bunny, not bunny-zilla!" )

Regardless of how much time they are given, we are still going to have the wrecked molds drama, and the last minute painting drama. It'll just give the good ones time to create really fantastic work.

Along with everything already mentioned, I wish they would get consistent about the Foundation Challenges. Sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they win an advantage, sometimes they don't. Either have them or don't, and if they do have them, make them worth something. It seems like a waste of production time having the challenges when there isn't even a reward for doing them.

I'd like to see a challenge where they don't have access to all their fancy equipment. Let's see what these guys can do with toilet paper, grease paint, corn syrup and food coloring.

Edited by 90PercentGravity

That idea, the lack of real supplies, could be interesting. In the first Jim Henson Creature Shop challenge a guy used aluminum foil & glue because he was used to making due with things. His partner was very skeptical, but it worked out well & was fun to see.

• Love 1

Not just children's show creatures, but I would like to see child actors.  Something that would be quick to get on and off (because of legal restrictions on the amount of time someone can work), sturdy (because kids move differently than adults), and small-scale.  I like this show (could do without all the monsters, although I do want them to do some -- but Dracula doesn't have to be horror show-ready), but would like it to be better.  I always liked the episodes where people were disguised into their backgrounds.

• Love 1

Very late to this thread, but one thing I'd really like to see is a tromp l'oeil challenge.  I'm thinking of something like the amazing timna Woollard art from the sadly neglected 1990 film "Where the Heart Is" (not to be confused with the Natalie Portman/Susan Sarandon film of the same name), where they get to pick from a selection of famous paintings, and paint their actors right into the scene.  The images at the link above do a good job of showcasing this effect (also, the movie was pretty good if you haven't seen it). 

I think the somewhat similar "Styles of Art" challenge from a season or two ago, where people had to make Cubist, Impressionist, etc creations was both mostly monster-free, and one of the most interesting episodes in recent memory.

• Love 2

first finished pieces

Then maybe have them create a current piece that's "upgraded" to show their skill progression.   

Another "art style" challenge would be great, I LOVED that one.  Or they could chose a painting and create an additional person/creature to inhabit it. 

I would love to see a challenge where the contestants are not allowed to use prosthetics - or at the very least, limit what they can use (i.e,, only a small nose, ear, or chin piece).

I would like to see the return of the weekly foundation challenge.

• Love 1

I would like a challenge that requires them to do something subtle, kind of the opposite of the big, showy prosthetics we often get.  For example, what about a challenge that requires them to do an alien trying to pass as human?  They could do a before and after of the original alien, so they can get that out of their system, and then the humanish version, where the alien has used a mask or makeup to make them look more human, but the ears are slightly wrong, the mouth is just a bit misshapen, the  forehead a little too bumpy, etc.

Or to get them away from facial stuff, what about a challenge that requires them to focus on an arm or leg.  Showing a serious burn, or wound, or flesh eating disease or weird rash or even mutation if they must, seems like something they would have to do on a real job.  Limiting the area would hopefully lead to quality work, and avoid the ran out of time to do a good paint job problem.

I would like a challenge that requires them to do something subtle, kind of the opposite of the big, showy prosthetics we often get.  For example, what about a challenge that requires them to do an alien trying to pass as human?  They could do a before and after of the original alien, so they can get that out of their system, and then the humanish version, where the alien has used a mask or makeup to make them look more human, but the ears are slightly wrong, the mouth is just a bit misshapen, the  forehead a little too bumpy, etc.

Oooh, an Uncanny Valley competition. I like it!

I'm not sure how to do it without being insulting, but it might be fun if late in the show when there are only a handful of contestants left they gave them each a person with a scar or deformity (maybe make them wounded vets?) and make them over to look better.

• Love 1

I'm not sure how to do it without being insulting, but it might be fun if late in the show when there are only a handful of contestants left they gave them each a person with a scar or deformity (maybe make them wounded vets?) and make them over to look better.

I get what you're saying. There are people who actually do this for a living, and they consider themselves medical professionals. Someone I went to high school with does this. She helps people with disfiguring facial problems use prostheses and other means to look more normal, and she works closely with plastic surgeons and dermatologists. However ... she was a beauty pageant queen in her younger days and now coaches pageant contestants in her spare time. So in a way, there's some of the cross-over you're thinking about.

I don't know how they'd work this into Face-Off, or if it would even be appropriate, but there's a real world application of your concept.

• Love 1

They could probably set up a straightforward beauty makeup challenge with something like Look Good, Feel Better. LGFB is a program designed to help people with cancer learn how to apply makeup so that they feel like themselves again, hiding things like hair loss, discoloration, and faded features. I'm not sure how easy it would be to judge something like that, but I'd love to see the contestants have to come up with a new technique or trick that the program could use.

• Love 1

This is a reply to a conversation in the August 26 episode thread, regarding reimagined characters from Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland.

Has anyone else seen the Hilariously Recreated Childhood Photographs? They ought to be able to do something with the child-to-adult concept that would be amusing. Figuring out how to do that isn't something I can spend a lot of time thinking about, but it could be fun.

• Love 1