Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Don't Burst My Bubble

thewhiteowl

Following a severe storm, Happy's friend Ada, who lives in a sterile bubble to protect her compromised immune system, is left with dangerous debris on the verge of puncturing the structure. Now, Team Scorpion works to safely move Ada to a more secure location without risking her life

CBS really can't resist the gimmick of a victim (usually a kid) that is incredibly reminiscent to one of the main characters.  It's predictable, lazy writing.  All in all this season has been pretty solid for what Scorpion tries to be but this episode was quite poor, even outright bad.  Most of the characters felt off and the was forced.  Hope they do better next week.

I really liked the kid they saved, though.

I thought it was very strange that Toby was yelling at happy about having made a friend, though, like he thought it was a terrible thing (in the car when they were driving to the meat locker, no less!). Why was he so upset about it, and saying he had to get to the bottom of it? I thought it was pretty straightforward: they had common interests, worked well together, so why wouldn't they become friends? And he had to know she didn't have other friends or family, so it was weird that he was acting like it was some great secret that he'd cracked.

I liked Happy taking charge, and I like her relationship with the kid. I hope they continue her story as they have done a few times with other characters outside the main ensemble. Walter looking for a donor gave me optimism that maybe they will.

I have accepted that the science on this show is patently ridiculous, but they were using metal ladders while the sparks were flying, and that cracked me up. Wooden ladders around live electricity, please!

Also, building a soft plastic enclosure instead of using something more resilient struck me as crazy. Use glass, or plexiglass! What if she accidentally pokes it with a ballpoint pen, or trips and falls against the wall and punctures it that way? Oh well.

I don't expect them to make sense with the rescues, but I kind of wish they wouldn't be so obviously slipshod with stuff that even the average person would know better than to do for the everyday stuff.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

The actress who played Ada did an excellent job. It's always nice when small characters turn out well. 

I agree. She had the perfect physicality and demeanor for the part. I recognized her from when she played the daughter on Body of Proof.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2017 at 11:43 PM, possibilities said:

Also, building a soft plastic enclosure instead of using something more resilient struck me as crazy. Use glass, or plexiglass! What if she accidentally pokes it with a ballpoint pen, or trips and falls against the wall and punctures it that way? Oh well.

I agree.  Also, couldn't they have put something like a piece of wet wood between the live wire and the bubble to stop or at least slow down it melting through?

I thought it was very strange that Toby was yelling at happy about having made a friend, though, like he thought it was a terrible thing (in the car when they were driving to the meat locker, no less!). Why was he so upset about it, and saying he had to get to the bottom of it? I thought it was pretty straightforward: they had common interests, worked well together, so why wouldn't they become friends? And he had to know she didn't have other friends or family, so it was weird that he was acting like it was some great secret that he'd cracked.

Interesting take on this!

I took it that he was angry that SHE couldn't admit to having made a friend in Ada because it had always been so hard for her to become close to people, yet here she is bonding with this girl and having things in common. More like "see, you can do this!".

I agree he should've realized she didn't have a circle of friends outside of Scorpion but maybe that was a sort of revelation to him - an aha moment.

By the end of the episode Happy realized Ada WAS her friend and I think her actions then reflected that. Just my take :)

I love how we all see something different.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, lh25 said:

Also, couldn't they have put something like a piece of wet wood between the live wire and the bubble to stop or at least slow down it melting through?

I kept wondering why they couldn't spray some sort of foam in there to contain the wires. Although I know there are different kinds of fire extinguishers for different kinds of fires so maybe there isn't a foam that would be safe to use on a live wire. But I know there are foams used for fires. I suppose that could've been explained as "this fire department and no one near by has any" and I know they don't have time for a ton of throwaway lines. Still it was weird to me that they all just seemed to accept "yup, there's live wires and we can't cut the power so we just have to hope the house doesn't burn down while we evacuate" instead of "isn't there anything you can do to contain the sparks".

• Love 2