Type keyword(s) to search

Stranded With A Million Dollars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm sorry the whole damning of Makani is not for what I consider major sins. These people walked away and left food in the pot and said nothing, should she have thrown their food out to cook her own. wasteful but would that have stopped the cries of food theft? while the others enter her tent more than once and steal her peanut butter even when they are eating pizzas? and that is stealing food? She asked to share the tent, they said no and they would not order her her own tent, so the fact that it was empty and she took it not theft, she paid for it too.  Even the words were stupid in their arguments, I remember one where she said what would your family think and the camper went hyper on her saying she was too filthy to say her families names. come on, last show she certainly went bad but that is after how many weeks of being dumped on? and even though she is way smaller than Alex, he complains she does not carry her fair share even though he does not carry as much as her.  I think the isolation makes them more lord of the flies than anything else.  I am not going to think she is more evil that the campers.  

But what ever , we each have our own opinions. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Hiacios said:

"they own it" LMAO! They don't own up to anything they have done on the show and they wont after it ends.

Cody and Makani are the most hypocritical, conniving lowlifes I have ever seen on TV.

Examples of their hypocrisy:

Makani was standoffish to the 4 campers and constantly antagonized them, she left the 2nd group buy and didn't vote for the tent but expected to use it then she later steals their food and tent and goes and spends 30k on her temptations after she critisied them for every pizza and hamburger they got. SMH.

Cody tells the viewers on episode 1 that his plan is to get rid of everybody so he can get all the money, convinces the majority to not get anything at the first group buy so he can make them quit, he tells everybody that he doesn't need the money but then goes on to criticizes the 4 campers for spending the money on the tent, pizza, hamburgers, when he spends 15k after 15k on his, Chris, and Makani's temptations. What a complete hypocrite.

In the first two episodes Makani was interacting with the 4 campers.  Alex figured out the game in the first day or so and he immediately began organizing an alliance to control group voting.  By the time they arrived at camp 2, only 7 players were left, and Alex had his majority 4 vote alliance.  He didn't need Makani.  When it came to that first group buy where they got the tent, pot and machete, the 4 campers were playing it to get stuff for themselves to further their stay in the game.

Alex, Eilish, and Alonzo didn't let Gina sleep in the tent at first!  So really?  They didn't let one of their own alliance sleep in it with them but they would have let Makani?

Makani started antagonizing them when they started being bullies.  That's what happens with bullies.  You either get pushed around by bullies or you stand up to them.  Makani stood up to them and that doesn't make her bad at all.  To say she is bad for standing up to them is backwards thinking, imo.

Cody and Makani have said they only buy the temptations because the 4 campers are spending so much on food.  It evens the playing field.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

In the first two episodes Makani was interacting with the 4 campers.  Alex figured out the game in the first day or so and he immediately began organizing an alliance to control group voting.  By the time they arrived at camp 2, only 7 players were left, and Alex had his majority 4 vote alliance.  He didn't need Makani.  When it came to that first group buy where they got the tent, pot and machete, the 4 campers were playing it to get stuff for themselves to further their stay in the game.

Alex, Eilish, and Alonzo didn't let Gina sleep in the tent at first!  So really?  They didn't let one of their own alliance sleep in it with them but they would have let Makani?

Makani started antagonizing them when they started being bullies.  That's what happens with bullies.  You either get pushed around by bullies or you stand up to them.  Makani stood up to them and that doesn't make her bad at all.  To say she is bad for standing up to them is backwards thinking, imo.

Cody and Makani have said they only buy the temptations because the 4 campers are spending so much on food.  It evens the playing field.

No, Alex was going to offer Makani some pizza at the 2nd group buy but Makani kept acting standoffish towards them and acting like she is better than them. She put herself in that position by not communicating or tying to make friends with the other campers because she has this am better than you attitude. SMH. She then goes and allies herself with Cody and Chris knowing that the 4 campers don't like those 2 there for putting herself at a disadvantage early in the game. Makani is the type of person who doesn't feel that she should be held accountable for her actions against others. I absolutely hate those types of people who think that way!

Edited by Hiacios
50 minutes ago, Hiacios said:

No, Alex was going to offer Makani some pizza at the 2nd group buy but Makani kept acting standoffish towards them and acting like she is better than them. She put herself in that position by not communicating or tying to make friends with the other campers because she has this am better than you attitude. SMH. She then goes and allies herself with Cody and Chris knowing that the 4 campers don't like those 2 there for putting herself at a disadvantage early in the game. Makani is the type of person who doesn't feel that she should be held accountable for her actions against others. I absolutely hate those types of people who think that way!

So Alex was "going to offer" Makani pizza but then he didn't like her attitude so that's when the "starve her out" started?

• Love 4

She thought she was better than them? I think so too, Have you ever read Alex's blog? In addition to his contract to write about the episodes, he invited people to write about their experience, Makani was the only who took him up on it, but instead of defending her actions she wrote about the people she met on the island and how the island was so beautiful. It was a different look at the show. Apparently, despite everything, she really enjoyed the location. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

So Alex was "going to offer" Makani pizza but then he didn't like her attitude so that's when the "starve her out" started?

They never starved her, Chris or Cody out. LOL!

I would probably like Makani on her own but now she has "Cody cooties"and he is insufferable.(to me) I know he is playing his role as a villain,but he is so good at it I would guess this is a big part of his everyday personality too.

• Love 1

Remember around Camp 4, when they were all getting food and sharing the pot, and we thought the rivalry between the two sides was incredibly bitter?

Remember Camp 7-8 when the fighting was practical: MaCody taking the pot to make AlGina flare; AlGina destroying money to make MaCody buy food?

Now the lack of a flare case and phone has really made the fight moot. They can't order food, and since "flaring out" now requires a 5 foot tall bonfire (from people who may not even have access to the firestarter) that's all but impossible too.  They really have nothing to fight over, and yet it's worse than ever.

Kudos to MTV on their social experiment. Another month and they might have murdered each other.

• Love 10

I think I am now on team no team. 

I feel team Macody are just getting so nasty in trying to get the other 2 to quit that they are totally unlikable.

Gina and Alex are either delusional or in total denial.  I have such an issue with Alex standing their ripping up money and saying "This is not my choice, this is their choice".....no it is your choice, you chose to make the threat and you chose to follow though with the threat, you chose to tear up the money.  That fact that he and his friends have also played the game dirty but keep claiming to be the innocent victims makes it impossible to root for them.

My favorite moment from the episode is when Cody read out that because they left the tablet case that their would be no more group buys.  Alex's strategy really back fired on him there as now what ever resources you have is what there is because no more will be coming in, and all Alex has is a tent and a machete.  I was really surprised Macody still had rice, they bought it nearly 2 weeks ago.

What I think would be hilarious is it is Alex's turn for the next temptation, Makani and Gina have already been offered 2 temptations and Cody 1.  So if Alex had to take Cody with him on the next temptation so that they were all offered 2 would be classic.  I doubt it will happen as they will need to feed Gina.

Edited by dstann
  • Love 4
On 4/19/2017 at 7:31 PM, AngryCarrot86 said:

And why is that?  I'm not staunchly defending any of these kids, they are all terrible people.  This is reality TV, and certain people are more entertaining than others.

I think that for me, the big difference between MaKody and AlGina  (and why I dislike AlGina more) is the degree of self-awareness.  At least Cody and Makani are acknowledging their actions.  They know they're being assholes and they own it.  They aren't calling themselves America's heros.  When Alex and Gina were still part of the group of 4, they tried to act like they were on some moral high ground with their pretentious and short-sighted actions, when in reality they were being shits.  Now they're drinking shits.  Lol. 

And that folks, is why I'm team MaCody to the bitter end of this show.  Shake your head all you want. 

I agree! Go makani! 

• Love 4

If you like Alex and Gina you are wierd.  Go on the Reddit and check it out. 99% of the viewers hate those too. Why? Because it's freaking logical. I had a 90 year old grandma pop in and watch the last show, and she said the same. Alex and Gina are the most annoying kids. 

• Love 6

This was an interesting episode.  Odd to see Cody, already strapped into that gigantic backpack, and Makani, with a pretty substantial load herself, trying to convince Alex and Gina to grab the flare case.  Gina had the little tent pouch and Alex had a backpack with some money he was planning to rip up later.   Nope.

So, four people each individually decided it wasn't worth at least $25,000--and at most $100,000--to schlep that case along?

Hilarious no one remembered the communication device, and the source of all things peanut buttery, was in the flare case. 

I had to laugh at Alex tsk-tsking because Cody rejected "teamwork" assistance getting the backpack up the cliff.   Okay Alex, thanks, let me pulley this bag with ALL the rest of the money into your cash-shredding little paws.

I don't understand someone in possession of a machete talking about "starving" and "one meal in ten days" and "nothing to eat but maybe some roots and coconuts."  And coconuts?  COCONUTS?!?  If you can get into the damn things, you can hydrate on the coconut water and sustain yourself for eons on the meat.

I think if I were on that island, I'd be spending a lot of time trying to catch some crabs, seine some little fishies out of the receding tidewater and collecting coconuts.  (And tell me more about those roots.)  Maybe a little less time playing cards and a little more time foraging, hmm?

Anyway, I'm not impressed with Alex and his great hunger, particularly if there's really a coconut somewhere around there.

Geez, they have a machete, a nice tent to protect them from the elements and the means to make fire, so they don't even have to choke down any Bear Gryll raw wigglies.  Does your whole life go belly up at home when the Pizza Hut delivery knocks off at midnight?

I can't support the plan to contaminate the water with feces.  I guess the place where I draw the line is between announcing that the water has been rendered undrinkable (so y'all might want to think about going home) and the subversive attempt to make someone sick enough to go home.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, candall said:

I don't understand someone in possession of a machete talking about "starving" and "one meal in ten days" and "nothing to eat but maybe some roots and coconuts."  And coconuts?  COCONUTS?!?  If you can get into the damn things, you can hydrate on the coconut water and sustain yourself for eons on the meat.

I think I remember Cody mentioning at one point that all Alex and Gina had to eat was rotting coconuts.  So maybe no fresh coconuts were available on the ground or it was too hard to get fresh ones out of trees.

9 hours ago, holly4755 said:

I thought coconut water in any volume was a diuretic and would dehydrate you after a couple of days. 

You got me curious so I Googled "Can you live on coconut water?"  Looks like pretty amazing stuff--maybe not as perfectly suited for the human body as plain water, but people who drank only coconut water for two weeks in a controlled study only experienced improved blood pressure numbers.

The funniest article speculated that you'd probably only last about ten years on a strict diet of coconut meat/milk/water and you'd likely get some tooth decay from the sugars in the milk.  See Tom Hanks knocking out his own tooth in "Castaway."  Heh.

I heard that reference to "rotten coconuts," but I was skeptical.  There's a ton of outer packing material that would have to deteriorate before the brown hard shell of the inner "coconut" was breeched, so there would be several lying around in various stages of freshness.   I dunno--show me one shot of Alex foraging or exploring the coconut situation instead of seven clips complaining how hungry he is and I'll shut up.

P.S.  Did anyone notice how great Alex looks in those closeup private "confessionals"?  The skin on his face looks fresh and dewy and sun-kissed.  I don't care much for the guy personally, but I'm jealous of his tiny pores.

Edited by candall
  • Love 4

The Challenge Season 30 Casting Spoilers

Spoiler

Rumors are pointing towards no one getting cast.  Makani and Cody were the only two that I really saw campaigning, but MTV must have given up on the show completely.

I think they would have been better off trying to be funny instead of bringing drama.  That would have actually given them better chances of a career on MTV reality shows.  Villains are easily replaceable.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2017 at 1:24 PM, LocimusPrime said:

If you like Alex and Gina you are wierd.  Go on the Reddit and check it out. 99% of the viewers hate those too. Why? Because it's freaking logical. I had a 90 year old grandma pop in and watch the last show, and she said the same. Alex and Gina are the most annoying kids. 

Just because supposedly 99% of people on Reddit don't like Alex and Gina doesn't mean that they aren't liked more than Cody and Makani and given the recent events on the show I think it's quite obvious that Cody and Makani fan base plummeted.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Hiacios said:

Just because supposedly 99% of people on Reddit don't like Alex and Gina doesn't mean that they aren't liked more than Cody and Makani and given the recent events on the show I think it's quite obvious that Cody and Makani fan base plummeted.

It also probably didn't hurt that those two did an AMA at Reddit. Being there personally answering questions couldn't have hurt their support.

6 hours ago, AirQuotes said:

This is just gross.  The Stranded production really needs to stop with the shocking antics.  I'm beginning to think it isn't reality and Cody and Makani are both actors picked to play these parts set up by the show.  

The one thing I've learned about reality shows is that you don't need to hire actors. It's a big world. If you have a character type in mind you can cast for it.

Also I'd like to think if anyone was writing this they'd be more clever than to use the same event twice. Were I scripting they would destroy all the money, start adorning their bodies with tribal warpaint, and begin to worship the pagan gods of the island. Alas, with only 1 episode left I don't quite think there's time for that to happen naturally.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hiacios said:

Good luck with that. lol.

That's because I would be on shitheads side drinking boiled water. :) and not on the side with the selfish entitled brats burning money because they didn't get what they wanted. The brats need to suck it up buttercup!. 

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Martinigirl said:

That's because I would be on shitheads side drinking boiled water. :) and not on the side with the selfish entitled brats burning money because they didn't get what they wanted. The brats need to suck it up buttercup!. 

That's shit water you're drinking. lol!

There is so much wrong with this production.  This is not being filmed totally by droids, if at all.  They are not wearing mic packs so there has to be a sound guy there holding one of those booms with the fuzzy slip on sweater to eliminate background noise.  A production staff is very near.  Their luxury food and set has to be from a source very near.  If we had an aerial shot of this game I think we would see the entire thing took place in a very limited space.  They are hiking the same territory, just on the other side of a rise or around the bend from the last one.  

Cody is shitting in a place they don't drink.  You cannot go without water for very long and production doesn't want anyone sick or dead.  That is a set up.  Cody and Makani have barely eaten anything in the 40 days and are still going strong.   Alex looks like he has lost weight and miserable.  Something is amiss here. 

There is no such thing as a reality show that is not manipulated, some more than others.  This one has got to be high on the fucked with scale.  

• Love 3

Knowing that the camps are pre-selected for them, I'm guessing they are limited to a very narrow area at each one. Crew can easily move around setting stuff up outside while the contestants remain "isolated" in their circle. (Which is also why "the" water source seems so limiting - they're not allowed to hike an hour back to the last site, let alone go search for a new one.)  If you know precisely where they're going to be it's probably not too hard to set up.

That said, no doubt there's some live camerawork too. And they aren't shy about using clips out of order, resulting in clean appearances or makeup from the first camp becoming talking heads at the 3rd or so.  You only need 40 minutes every 4 days, so a brief period of active filming would still maintain the storyline and you get what you get for the rest.

• Love 1

Interesting offer for the temptation, but overall a boring finale. The problem is that retrospective voiceovers and a waterfall rappel are happy celebration episodes to root for people. But as I've said, I wasn't rooting for any of them. The drama of a 41st night seemed completely phony and undermined everything as well.

Well it was interesting while it lasted. I don't know if I'd ever want to watch another season, but at least they made something unique.

• Love 1

That final temptation for Alex was completely ridiculous. Cody and Makani got the best temptations which feels like it was set up that way to get you to not like them more which worked. Overall this show has made me really hate C&M and if they do a reunion it will be really interesting to see the reaction of Alonzo and Eillish when they show the clip of C&M shitting in the water. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that that is what got Alonzo and Eillish sick. 

Cody & Makani can go rot in hell for all I care.

• Love 1

Well that ended with a slow fizzle instead of a bang.  What a disappointment.

This game had so much potential, but I feel like Cody and the production took it in a direction that really ruined it.

That last temptation for Alex and Gina was a good example of production thinking they were throwing in a good twist but it was just messing with the format.

The "thrive nuggets" in the water didn't make anyone leave.  In that interview the producer admitted without saying it that they were giving alex and gina water because of that.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I will always feel like different rules/structure could have made this better.... just not exactly sure on the precise form they should take.

At the bottom of the interview Hiacios mentioned is a link to another RealityBlurred article. It describes alternative rules that would lead to a much more cooperative gamestate.

8 hours ago, holly4755 said:

thanks, that was informative. 

Np.

1 hour ago, AirQuotes said:

With the last few episodes it became obvious they were going back and forth to the same camps.   I can't believe I fell for this dreck and watched all 10 episodes.

They were?

With the last few episodes it became obvious they were going back and forth to the same camps.   I can't believe I fell for this dreck and watched all 10 episodes.

Yes and here it is.  I didn't think her ideas would make a better show.  It would be different but still not good.  Better than what we got, anything would be.  

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/04/mtv-stranded-jane-mcgonigal-game-design/

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

I went back to each episode and looked at the maps of the journeys then on google maps it was easy to see where they were on Taveuni Island.  In the first 6 episodes they were moving west then the last 4 episodes they were going back where they started.

stranded 11.jpg

stranded 12.jpg

Edited by AirQuotes
  • Love 2

Just the other day I insisted to a friend that if there were a youtube channel devoted entirely to videos of people taking a shit, folks would watch it.

Because that's how low we've fallen these days.   And how low I unexpectedly found myself last night during the awful final episode of this wretched series.

There was no real winner in this show.   The losers were all the idiots like me who watched it.  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2

I went back to each episode and looked at the maps of the journeys then on google maps it was easy to see where they were on Taveuni Island.  In the first 6 episodes they were moving west then the last 4 episodes they were going back where they started.

stranded 11.jpg

stranded 12.jpg

To be fair, we don't know for sure how accurate the maps were. It's entirely possible that the graphics guy was just lazy and kept drawing over the same bunch of green trees, and only added in the "waterfall rappel" and "river crossing" as needed.

If Alex or Gina had accepted the $150k option and bailed, would the remaining players have divided the $497k into thirds?  If yes, Alex and Gina are IDIOTS--everyone would have left the game with a significant cash bonus. 

Surely the tablet didn't imply the $150k would be deducted from the total, because that would have screwed everyone left behind and added a whole extra layer for Alex and Gina to consider.  Bad decision, show, not to make it clear to the viewers--either way would have been more interesting than "I choose not to leave my buddy to soldier on without me for a day and a half."

Not much tension left for the finale.  If you have the strength to walk around bitching about your stomach growling and cursing your castmates, you can surely gut it out 48 more hours for the sake of a hundred grand plus.   That's a long, long way from flare-worthy dehydration or malnutrition.   A player lying in his tent, unable to lift his head and whispering weakly "must...hold...on..." would have been more sympathetic.

And speaking of sympathy, I was very sympathetic to Gina the whole time because she couldn't swim and was constantly knee/waist/neck-deep in the drink.  But when she was in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall, she did a pretty darn good imitation of swimming.  I know she was wearing a life jacket, but have you ever seen someone who doesn't know how to swim suddenly find himself in water over his head?  Total panic, with lots of thrashing and floundering.  Gina flattened out and basically stroked on out of there.  Hmmm.

I was impressed with Makani and her 50-pound pack.  I lug in a 50-pound bag of dog food from the car every week and there's no way I could muscle that sucker up a steep hill.

Well, maybe for $124,481.  : )

• Love 3
7 hours ago, hoosiermom said:

So what happened? I just couldn't bring myself to watch the last 2 episodes but I still have them on DVR.

Cody and Makani shit in the water more, won another challenge, Alex and Gina where offered a dumb temptation and All 4 of them made it to the end. Overall it was a boring finale.

• Love 3