Type keyword(s) to search

2017 Tryouts and Training Camp: Candidates Included

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

This was pretty interesting too:)

DALLAS COWBOYS CHEERLEADERS AUDITIONS: 6 CRITERIA USED BY JUDGES

Published: 05/11/2017

Round 1 of 2017 Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Auditions was Saturday, May 6th. Several hundred hopefuls flocked to Arlington’s AT&T Stadium in pursuit of their dream of joining America’s Sweethearts.

For those contestants that made it past the judges in Round 1’s “Freestyle Dance”, the next day was Semifinals/Round 2 which included learning choreography for a DCC-style jazz combo and the world famous DCC Kick Line.

The following weekend, May 13th, was Round 3/Finals. That’s where it got really interesting, because the rookie hopefuls were side-by-side with returning DCC veterans. A morning session in which hopefuls/veterans performed solo routines (choosing their own choreography, costume, music/song) was followed by an afternoon session on the football field. The on-field session was the choreographed jazz combo and kick line.

But how exactly are the contestants – newcomers or returning veterans – judged? What are the criteria?

Now entering my 17th year as a judge, I can tell you that music and costumes may change, but the criteria remain constant. On our judge’s score sheet, there are six columns. We make notes within each column for each of the contestants. Each criterion is equally important. Some deal with dance, others with physical appearance. Others have to do with the contestants’ ability to learn multiple dance routines in a short amount of time.

In other words, a DCC has to have the whole package: dance, looks and brains.

Each contestant is judged by the following 6 criteria:

“Beauty”: do you think she’s attractive/pretty?

“Appearance”: this is different from ‘beauty’. Appearance is more about physique… “How will she look wearing the DCC uniform?”

“Showmanship”: this is about a contestant’s dance ability/style. Is she fun to watch? Does she catch your eye? Can she be a world-class performer?

“Ability to Learn”: can she handle the choreography during Rounds 2 & 3, or does she get totally lost? It doesn’t have to be perfect, but if you get too lost in learning just one routine during auditions, it’s unlikely you can learn multiple routines during each evening of rehearsals in DCC Summer Training Camp.

“Kicks”: how high are her ‘high kicks’ during the DCC kick line? Is she flexible enough to improve those kicks? Most of the contestants are from dance/cheer backgrounds, not drill team. So kicks are not easy for all the hopefuls. Bottom line: if you can’t kick, you can’t be on the DCC. The kick line is a mainstay of every game-day performance.

“Splits”: at the end of each Kick Line in Rounds 2 & 3, contestants must do a right split as well as a left split. This is not the Jump Split that Cowboys fans see at the end of each Kick Line on game day (contestants learn the jump split during DCC Summer Training Camp). During auditions, you are asked to do splits so that judges can see if you have enough flexibility to properly execute the Kick Line and Jump Split during camp.

As judges, we make notes under each column. But that’s NOT THE FINAL WORD.

At the end of each line, after we’ve reviewed our notes for each criterion, we write one of three words:

“YES” (I want to see her in the next round; in Round 3, a “yes” is equal to “I think she can be a DCC”)

“MAYBE” (“I’m not sure, but would like the opportunity to see her in the next round and get a longer look”)

“NO” (not this year; needs improvement in one or more areas)

If a contestant receives enough “YES” and/or “MAYBE” votes, she advances to the next round. Each contestant receives full consideration. The judges literally sit around a conference table and discuss each contestant. The DCC director, Kelli Finglass, leads the discussion, and then calls for a vote. As judges, we literally raise our hands to vote “yes” or “maybe” or “no”.

There are approximately 10-to-12 judges, so there are multiple opinions. Each judge has a different background, so different dance styles and physical appearances/physiques appeal to different judges.

Approximately 110-to-125 contestants emerged from Round 1. They competed against each other in Round 2 the following day. By Sunday evening, about 55-70 were invited back for Round 3/Finals on Saturday, May 13th. There will be about 25-30 returning veterans.

By the end of Round 3, approximately 42-45 DCC hopefuls will pass the judge’s scrutiny. They will be invited to DCC Summer Training Camp which begins in early June. They will rehearse each week night. By early August, the final squad of 36 will be selected.

See Author's other post in the series: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders 2017 Auditions: 7 Fun Facts

Tags: at&t stadium, dallas cowboys cheerleaders, dallas cowboys, DCC Making the Team,football, sports

Posted In: AT&T Stadium, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, Dallas Cowboys, AT&T Stadium Tours, Entertainment District

AUTHOR: KRISTI SCALES

Kristi Scales is the sideline reporter for the Dallas Cowboys Radio Network; she has been with the Cowboys organization for 20 years since leaving A&M, where she worked for KLIV for a short time after graduation. During game day broadcasts, Kristi brings listeners exclusive up-to-the-second information from the Cowboy sideline. In 2002, she became the first female to fill the role of ‘analyst’ in the booth for an NFL radio broadcast. Kristi has produced 3 Super Bowl broadcasts – as well as international American Bowl games in London, Toronto, Mexico City, and Monterrey. Currently, she serves as television co-host of “The Dallas Cowboys Postgame Show” and reporter for the team’s weekly television broadcast of “Cowboys Huddle”, along with being host of the exclusive, live pregame “Owner’s Box” interview with Jerry Jones before every game on The Dallas Cowboys Radio Network. Finally, Kristi also writes as columnist and feature contributor for The Dallas Cowboys.

• Love 1

I don't mean to be a pain in the butt (and mine is nowhere near as nice as Holly's but a girl can dream) by asking again, but where is the yes/no/maybes list that's been referred to by so many. I was at the beach last week and can't find it. ?

1 minute ago, ATLGirl said:

I don't mean to be a pain in the butt (and mine is nowhere near as nice as Holly's but a girl can dream) by asking again, but where is the yes/no/maybes list that's been referred to by so many. I was at the beach last week and can't find it. ?

A few pages back, but if you look on Kelli's twitter that might be easier. It's not a list per se, it's pics of the girls with three numbers between slashes

7 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I'm so intrigued with what they're going to do this year with the extra episodes. 

I enjoyed Kelli's article in star mag about the photoshoot

I would like to see similar as seasons 1 and 7 when the entire audition process was finished in the 1st episode and like 7 as well one episode focusing on the first season opener, the preparation for a big halftime production, and maybe the calendar shoot trip. Which makes me wonder... I didn't watch most of these seasons until a few years ago way after they aired, so if they documented all of that stuff throughout the year all the way up to October and possibly beyond (calendar shoot), when was that season actually aired?

(edited)
4 minutes ago, Jaxratchet said:

^ This is from last year 

I guess they used old photos...I thought the article was from today...my bad;)

Edited by Rosiemac
3 minutes ago, Rosiemac said:

Heather is such a sweetheart. I would love to see clips like this on the show as well...I guess you would have to call it..Once I Made The Team...

https://prodancecheer.com/?p=46604

She reminds me of Ashley Paige when she talks (which is a good thing, AP was so well spoken). Love her. I wonder if Heather will make show group this year. They lost a lot of show group vets this year, and Heather's technique looks nice to me in those photos.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Oranaiche said:

She reminds me of Ashley Paige when she talks (which is a good thing, AP was so well spoken). Love her. I wonder if Heather will make show group this year. They lost a lot of show group vets this year, and Heather's technique looks nice to me in those photos.

She seemed very sweet and poised last year! And as far as show group goes, remember when last year they critiqued her on lacking of power, but then in show group auditions someone mentioned (I believe Kelly) that she had good power.. I think she has a chance!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, atxdccfan said:

Was Jamie the one who said "O'Biden?"

Also, Popcorn Kelly is so pretty!

No her name was Tiffany; she's a current Cleveland Cavaliers dancer.

Jamie is the redhead who had the tree prop (don't remember the season) that Kitty picked on her for using. She was a AAIA, DSIG, DMD, TLD and CCD. She's auditioned for the DCC numerous times but never makes it to TC. She was also one of the top 3 in the fan vote in the 1st or 2nd year they did it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LurkingFan said:

She seemed very sweet and poised last year! And as far as show group goes, remember when last year they critiqued her on lacking of power, but then in show group auditions someone mentioned (I believe Kelly) that she had good power.. I think she has a chance!

Agree! Claire got a few comments about lacking power her rookie season, but then she came back her second year rocking it and made show group. I'm definitely rooting for Heather.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rosiemac said:

Heather is such a sweetheart. I would love to see clips like this on the show as well...I guess you would have to call it..Once I Made The Team...

https://prodancecheer.com/?p=46604

Yeah I like stuff like this where we can actually get to know the girls. It always annoys me how they focus so much on the girls who get cut and then not on the girls that make it bar a select few.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Rosiemac said:

https://prodancecheer.com/?p=8524

Here are some new photos from opening day at the football training camp with the cheerleaders

Thanks for these! 

Why the hell are there 37 pictures of the jenn/Jenna brigade and like, one of Erica. Yes, that was rhetorical. Man I need a break from them. Show OTHER GIRLS please! 

It's funny, there are pics of a few where they look thick and then another angle where they look amazing. The camera is a fickle mistress. 

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Thanks for these! 

Why the hell are there 37 pictures of the jenn/Jenna brigade and like, one of Erica. Yes, that was rhetorical. Man I need a break from them. Show OTHER GIRLS please! 

It's funny, there are pics of a few where they look thick and then another angle where they look amazing. The camera is a fickle mistress. 

The other link has loads of pictures of some of the rookies as well as the vets

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, crazydegulady said:

Yeah I like stuff like this where we can actually get to know the girls. It always annoys me how they focus so much on the girls who get cut and then not on the girls that make it bar a select few.

I was thinking the same thing!  I have been watching episodes from last year and noticed they featured auto Amy heavily who clearly was never going to make the team and was just taken into TC for the show. It would be nice if they featured more of the girls who actually DID make the squad.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

No her name was Tiffany; she's a current Cleveland Cavaliers dancer.

Jamie is the redhead who had the tree prop (don't remember the season) that Kitty picked on her for using. She was a AAIA, DSIG, DMD, TLD and CCD. She's auditioned for the DCC numerous times but never makes it to TC. She was also one of the top 3 in the fan vote in the 1st or 2nd year they did it.

Jamie used the tree in season 6.  I have it on my dvr and rewatched it recently.  She was in fan vote top three last year I believe with Jackie and Hunter.  (I could be wrong on that one...)

6 hours ago, atxdccfan said:

Is Jamie the one who said "O'Biden?"

Also, Popcorn Kelly is so pretty!

Also, I think Tiffany said that, but there was another little jamie that had a stupid answer then did the dance on the horse 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, crazydegulady said:

They did a video on Lacey as well

5 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

A few pages back, but if you look on Kelli's twitter that might be easier. It's not a list per se, it's pics of the girls with three numbers between slashes

Thank you!!!

2 hours ago, Jaxratchet said:

Jamie used the tree in season 6.  I have it on my dvr and rewatched it recently.  She was in fan vote top three last year I believe with Jackie and Hunter.  (I could be wrong on that one...)

Also, I think Tiffany said that, but there was another little jamie that had a stupid answer then did the dance on the horse 

There was a TCC  Jayme Rae in season 1 or 2.  Did she use a horse prop for her solo? I vaguely remember someone doing that.

(edited)

I think I might be mistaken by the name.  She girl I'm thinking of had a sister that got cut at semis and this girl made it to training camp, because her solo saved her after the interview.  She was small and perhaps Latina! She was from a season 6-9 perhaps... 

Edited by Jaxratchet
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Jaxratchet said:

I think I might be mistaken by the name.  She girl I'm thinking of had a sister that got cut at semis and this girl made it to training camp, because her solo saved her after the interview.  She was small and perhaps Latina! She was from a season 6-9 perhaps... 

Mia Greenhouse and her sister Nina auditioned in season 4 . Mia made it to TC but her sister was cut at semis or finals.

21 minutes ago, Jaxratchet said:

Brittany. She's the one who said she didn't know what a political party was. Then in her talking head she said she did know what a political party was, but then couldn't name them. AND THEN she said, "I feel a lot more better," after her solo. Bless.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Jaxratchet said:

There was a Jamie Rae Hunter in maybe Season 4 or 5 and I can't remember why she was cut from TC but I think she was an appearance risk with poor memory. Might be thinking of her? 

Plus, did anyone see that Colby and Kat tried out again?! The image is too big for me to upload...I'll try and copy the url. It was on Kat's Twitter.

2 minutes ago, LilRedHerring said:

There was a Jamie Rae Hunter in maybe Season 4 or 5 and I can't remember why she was cut from TC but I think she was an appearance risk with poor memory. Might be thinking of her? 

Plus, did anyone see that Colby and Kat tried out again?! The image is too big for me to upload...I'll try and copy the url. It was on Kat's Twitter.

Tried out again for what? DCC? Stop the presses. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LilRedHerring said:

No my spirit animal Oranaiche is right I was thinking of Brittany! I haven't seen the early seasons enough to remember a lot of details. (I've only seen season 4 and 5 once) 

that pic of Kat, Colby, and kaleigh was from their rookie auditions in 2015. (Like a TBT)

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, LilRedHerring said:

Do you mean this one? It's an old pic.

IMG_0281.JPG

2 minutes ago, Jaxratchet said:

No my spirit animal Oranaiche is right I was thinking of Brittany! I haven't seen the early seasons enough to remember a lot of details. (I've only seen season 4 and 5 once) 

that pic of Kat, Colby, and kaleigh was from their rookie auditions in 2015. (Like a TBT)

Lol! We must be on the same wavelength or something. Hey btw, why'd you change your name? I got so confused by it for a second, I think yesterday, haha.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Oranaiche said:

Lol! We must be on the same wavelength or something. Hey btw, why'd you change your name? I got so confused by it for a second, I think yesterday, haha.

I wanted to separate my name on here from my other personal social media accounts... i use Jax because I live in Jacksonville and Ratchet because... well I'm pretty ratchet! ?  

Although now I am thinking about Jax when her hair was teased at finals on the HD board in 2015 lol 

i PM'd you

Edited by Jaxratchet
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, Jaxratchet said:

Back on track for training camp, do we have any info if tonight was a cut night? It's gonna suck without dalgal or txstar this season

OT for just a sec - what happened to them?

10 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

Brittany. She's the one who said she didn't know what a political party was. Then in her talking head she said she did know what a political party was, but then couldn't name them. AND THEN she said, "I feel a lot more better," after her solo. Bless.

That was like nails on a chalkboard to me. 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Mia Greenhouse and her sister Nina auditioned in season 4 . Mia made it to TC but her sister was cut at semis or finals.

Mia's sister was cut at Prelims in Season 4. Jamie Rae was cut after Miss Kitty ripped into her.

On 6/9/2017 at 6:42 AM, Dlcmom said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but since they both tried out this year for DCC, I'm gonna put it here and hope I'm not wrong... looks like AAIA Jenny and Whitney both made it to finals for Dolphins Cheer. 

Isn't Jenny the one who was being secretive about her next move after she got cut from DCC? 

I also recognized Hunter and there are a few other girls who look very familiar (both from Texas and other states) but I'm not sure if it's from DCC or some other dance thing. 

http://dolphinscheerleaders.com/you-pick-the-squad-2017

Don't ever say our DCC swimsuit fashion show is raunchballs until you've watched the Dolphin's Cheerleaders. There is a slide show of theirs on that site and it makes ours look like the Little House on the Prairie swimsuit fashion show. It's not that it's overly sexy or provocative, it's just tacky. Watching it makes me realize even more how much class our DCC elude. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Sandiedog said:

Don't ever say our DCC swimsuit fashion show is raunchballs until you've watched the Dolphin's Cheerleaders. There is a slide show of theirs on that site and it makes ours look like the Little House on the Prairie swimsuit fashion show. It's not that it's overly sexy or provocative, it's just tacky. Watching it makes me realize even more how much class our DCC elude. 

RAUNCHBALLS!!!!! This whole post killed me. 

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Sandiedog said:

Oh my......