Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: My Balls, D

Drogo

The madcap adventures of Ezra and Richard may be too much of a contrast for me compared to the more straightforward dramatic tension of Maddie running her new con. The disparate tone of the two storylines is giving me a little whiplash.

As a general rule, I prefer serious to slapsticky, so Ezra and Richard's journey of failed cons and dropped wallets made me exasperated more than amused or charmed, even given that both actors are very easy on the eyes.

I haven't bothered to learn the names of Maddie's two older team members. The writers aren't giving them anything much to do so I'm going to hold off caring until they become something more than props.

I didn't want Maddie to be caught that easily so was glad to see the doorbell scene switcharoos.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 3

Normally, I prefer serious to slapstick, but I have no understanding of the stakes on Maddie's side, so the Ezra/Richard storyline works better for me (really only because Parker Young is such a comic talent). My quibble there is this seems the least productive way to find Maddie.

• Love 3

I am a bit disappointed that Ezra and Richard are taking to small cons to pay their way.  How the hell is that any better than just taking the check from mom and dad?  That said, I did find them amusing.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

I haven't bothered to learn the names of Maddie's two older team members.

Question:  We know the older gentleman is the guy who supposedly died at work right?  Who is the woman?

10 hours ago, AlleC17 said:

I am a bit disappointed that Ezra and Richard are taking to small cons to pay their way.  How the hell is that any better than just taking the check from mom and dad?  That said, I did find them amusing.

I was asking myself the same thing.

Love the side trip of Maddie and the gorgeous guy who keeps hitting on her.  I already feel bad for the new "mark".

• Love 1
11 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Question:  We know the older gentleman is the guy who supposedly died at work right?  Who is the woman?

I was asking myself the same thing.

Love the side trip of Maddie and the gorgeous guy who keeps hitting on her.  I already feel bad for the new "mark".

The woman was at Ezra and "Ava's" wedding:  think she was in a wheelchair?  So supposedly Ava's family member?  Now she is the new mark's house keeper. 

• Love 3

I hope they explain how long it takes for the cons to setup their marks. They must have another whole team to set up IDs, apartments, resumes, bank accounts....they can't just role into town and all start a new game.  

So far I like all the characters. I am a little annoyed with "Saffron" and her poor widdle helpwess baby voice. But apparently that's what makes men fall in lust? 

Looking forward to see how the three scorned lovers travel and plot together.

• Love 3

I'm really loving this show so far. The weakest part, for me, is Maddie's personae in the various cons (at least the two we've seen so far). I find that pixie, victimy thing thoroughly off-putting (as BusyOctober says, probably calibrated to take in a certain kind of mark). But the surrounding cast is terrific, the dialogue's sharp but not show-offy, and the story threads that have been put in place so far are all intriguing. 
I really hope this gets traction and time to develop!

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, rejnel said:

The weakest part, for me, is Maddie's personae in the various cons (at least the two we've seen so far).

I was hopeful for a minute when she took it too far with her current mark during the job interview and he got pissed, but then she was able to quickly walk it back. Pfft. I'm actually rooting for him more than her at this point.

• Love 3
On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 0:44 AM, jumper sage said:

Love the side trip of Maddie and the gorgeous guy who keeps hitting on her.

It would thrill me to no end if he is a real member of the Federal "Burrow" of Investigation.

• Love 10
On 2/16/2017 at 11:06 AM, AlleC17 said:

The woman was at Ezra and "Ava's" wedding:  think she was in a wheelchair?  So supposedly Ava's family member?  Now she is the new mark's house keeper. 

She was playing Ava's wheelchair bound Aunt Catherine.

On 2/17/2017 at 7:59 AM, Lord Donia said:

I was hopeful for a minute when she took it too far with her current mark during the job interview and he got pissed, but then she was able to quickly walk it back. Pfft. I'm actually rooting for him more than her at this point.

Which I think was entirely her plan--to play on the intel about his broken-off engagement. But that interview was ridiculous in any case. Executive assistants are vetted within an inch of their lives! They don't just waltz in and land a job in 3 minutes based on their charm. Every reference is grilled. As you say, "Pfft."

Nonetheless, I'm excited about this show and hoping it sticks around. I had high hopes for "The Catch" (and flat-out worship Mireille Enos), but it was so silly I gave up after an episode.

• Love 5
On 2/15/2017 at 8:23 AM, Lord Donia said:

given that both actors are very easy on the eyes.

They look far too much alike for me -- two skinny white guys with the same amount of stubble.  Horrid casting choice, when we know Maddie doesn't have a "type".

imposters.JPG.bc051cad3e1b6de6335d549dd7453907.JPG

They even pretty much dress alike.  Feh.

That's the weakest part for me.

On 2/15/2017 at 9:44 PM, jumper sage said:

On 2/19/2017 at 6:13 AM, talktoomuch said:

It would thrill me to no end if he is a real member of the Federal "Burrow" of Investigation.

I think (and hope) he's running a con on her.

On 2/15/2017 at 11:10 AM, AlleC17 said:

As long as they stick to "assholes", I think I'm OK with it.

Edited by jhlipton
Added picture
  • Love 1