Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E14: Silence

Are we to assume that the Blunder Twins followed Claire's cab out to Lake Wobegon, because there's no way they would have known where she was going. If so, it was great timing to carjack that poor extra and get to Midtown Manhattan just as Claire was getting to the church that they would have had no idea she was going to, so they would be able to follow a cab through NYC and all the way up to the boondocks without being detected or getting lost. And don't even get me started on what the cab fare would have been.

Yeah, I'm curious if they're going to even bother explaining how the twins found Claire.

The Following has been officially renewed for season 3 (and the ratings keep falling).

It looks like from the promo that

Mike is alive...at least for a little while longer

It's getting harder & harder to even hate watch this, it's just so stupid. Finally Emma is dead, but I'd trade her death for Claire. How can one person be so full of dumb? She deserves to die just for her idiocy.

Did anyone else find it obvious that the preacher would kill himself before he'd hurt his son? As a parent I thought it was a given. Joe, who is supposed to be a brilliant psychopath, didn't see that coming? Really? I'm ready for everyone to die at this point. The idea of a season three just seems slightly ridiculous.

I only just now realized that Mike has the same name as the main character on Burn Notice.  That amuses me.

I like that Claire was who got to kiill Emma; in TV terms where vigilante stupidity is more forgivable, it makes sense that she would get the honors.  I still enjoy this silly show on some level I can't really explain.  Maybe I just need a xanax.

What I'm hoping is that once Claire admits to the Doublemint Twins that she did in fact kill Emma, they start their own chants of "praise Claire!!!!"  I know I did :)

Edited by ByTor

Hell I didn't even hate Emma and I was right there with you.  Plus I have a soft spot for CLaire for stabbing Joe last year and giving him a scathing literary review.  She's probably come closer to killing him than anyone else in the show so far. 

Penultimat-antics ahoy! It's the next to last episode and it's all nothing but ludicrousness and set up!

God knows how many posts this is going to take. Show, you owe me a pony.

Okay, so we open with Luke and Mark having stolen the car of the only other upper middle class white woman who wasn't a cult member and strangled her, as is their wont, after slipping the ginormous dragnet of SWAT/ATF/FBI/CIA/Any Rando With A Gun At This Point dragnet. Luke is doing his "talk to the dead woman like she's still alive" shtick in an effort to la la la his way back to his version of normality, but although Mark tries to play along for a bit, supplying the dead woman's name (Tricia) he can't really get into it. You know, after seeing his beloved mother (who got them into this enormous mess for her own whackadoo nebulous ends in the first place) get gunned down. He says as much to Luke, who takes longer then Mark really has the patience for to process it, but finishes up by babbling determinedly about how they are ALL GOING TO PAY. Mark sits in the back looking like a person who has had a lot of bad choices inflicted on him lately. Dead Tricia just sits all dead, not giving a shit. She doesn't even get a SAG card out of this crap.

Credits, then back to Pinkwasher Compound. Max, Mike and Ryan are all lying their asses off about how Lily came to be ready to clutch a bunch of her namesake flowers to her punctured chest to some rando cop, who looks like he's not really buying it but also doesn't give much of a shit. That done (and seriously, it never comes up again) Omnipresent Cop wanders up to ask where Joe and the rest are off too, and mention hey that crazy ex of yours? With the hair? She totally rang up Carrie Cook and used her show to contact Joe with this incredibly lame ass poem. You should probably ask her what that's about when you get a minute. Ryan takes a second to process this latest wrinkle of crazy in his life, then tells Mike to get some rest. Mike basically tells him to pound sand, then asks what Ryan would have done if it was Joe Carroll.

Ryan considers telling him the truth (which would involve laughing gaily and saying "Duh, let him go! It's my hobby at this point! That and Revenge String Art!") but wisely ditches that idea to hedge with the statement that Mike is better than him.

As there's really nowhere to go with this conversation, cut to Kingston Tanner's (Preacher Man's) house, which is surrounded by his parishioners praying for Preston (S of a P) and then to one of Preacher Man's security flunkies bringing him a burner phone with attached note (which was apparently tossed over the back fence where NOT ONE of the several thousand law enforcement persons roving about noticed it). Preacher Kingston reads the note as the security flunky enquires whether they should maybe give this to the FBI (YES. YES YOU SHOULD), but Kingston, stepping bravely into the Idiot Plot Boots that have been set before him, says no, no, he'll take care of it. Gahhhhh, this guy's characterization is such fucking bullshit I could scream and it's only going to get worse from here.

Ryan's White Apartment of Despair And 24 Hour News Feed. Max fixes a nice sandwich and juice for Mike (who do you suppose is doing the shopping?), but he's got no appetite. Not a big surprise, between the day's events and having to hear that wretched excrescence of a poem being re-played. They have a moment that includes Max's hand on Mike's knee (whoo-hoo!), but say nothing as we cut to Ryan walking into his Revenge Room where Claire is hanging out.

Ryan rides Claire about endangering Carrie (Dude, she was already endangered. This is like when some Marvel super hero says his loved ones can't know his identity because it would put them in danger and in the meantime they're getting kidnapped and thrown off buildings and dangled over volcanoes every other week. One more thing cannot possibly put them in more danger.)

Claire thinks so too, points out that Carrie is doing her damn job, and that she hadn't heard from him and was going crazy. So she's caught up with her hair, then. He asks about the poem and Claire says it's something she and Joe wrote together and only they know it. I should hope so. That poem needed to be sealed in a vault with every other secret to shameful too reveal to the world. Ryan asks why Claire wants to Joe to know she's alive and Claire's eyeballs are practically inward facing, she rolls them so hard as she says SO WE CAN KILL HIM, RYAN, WE HAVE BEEN OVER THIS. And really, Claire is right here. It's not like she lied her way back into Ryan's life, she's flatly stated in every damn episode since she's shown up that Joe must die. It is a very novel and somewhat unsettling sensation to agree with Claire.

Ryan continues to prove he is first cousin to a rhino as he insists Claire isn't thinking straight and needs to go home, while she she enumerates how fucking crazy her life is, that she hasn't slept in a year and this is the only way...Ryan cuts in here with some frankly masculinist bullshit about how he can't concentrate if he has to worry about her go home I'll find you blah blah blah hug, smooch, and Ryan's outtie 5000, leaving Claire to discover his unlocked weapons stash. Seriously, the door isn't even locked. Well, Claire knows as sign when she sees one. Where there's God there's hope. And grenades.

Part two coming up!

Part Two! Setups and more Setups and Bullshit!

Joe's at what's his name's uncle's house WHATEVER sending off his inner circle to their mission/horrible deaths. The blonde lady who gutted that woman on the table a few weeks ago is there, and Joe asks if she's okay. She says yes, just excited and Joe hugs her and pours on the horseshit honey about how grateful he is and she says she'll see him again, "up above." Of all the places you two might end up in the Great Beyond, lady, up above is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list. Like, below Lovecraft's Elder Gods locker room.

Joe sends them off (even though they can't be more then twenty miles from the compound he and Emma are hanging out in front of the house in broad daylight where anybody can see them) and Emma asks if he really thinks Claire is alive. Joe responds like the sadist he is by reciting the Goddamn poem for the third time in its entirety, then tells Em that he and Claire wrote it together the weekend they got engaged. He says they memorized it and "never wrote it down" (so you didn't write it. Okay? Writing involves putting words into a medium so they exist independently of your stupid head, Joe) and only they know it. Emma points out that Claire must have told Ryan and he's using it to lure Joe out. Joe gets a delayed hit of Ryan's Stupid Curse (serves you right for hanging around him so much last episode, loser) and says that if Claire is alive, she'll be waiting at the Whatever The Hell Inn where they wrote that together, waiting for him. Okay, what? That's a leap.

Emma thinks so too and speaks for the entire audience when she asks if Joe hears how ludicrous that sounds. She points out that if anything is waiting it's a trap and a trick. A conversation ensues where both of them figure out what's really going on but don't realize it, and finally Emma wraps up that if doesn't fucking matter if Claire's alive or not, she's hardly going to rush into Joe's arms and if this going to be a repeat of last year then she's done. It is a very novel and extremely unsettling sensation to agree with Emma.

Blah blah blah, Joe asks Emma not to be threatened by Claire (second epic eyeroll of the episode from Emma here) but Joe brings her somewhat around by pointing out that if Claire is alive she's going to be valuable as a hostage. Just then NTG comes out and says Tilda called and they're ready to go. Joe announces hey, change of plans you and Em here are going off to a shut up hotel to sit for hours in the car and see if my dead ex wife shows up, don't do anything stupid, let's crack on. Emma stares into the middle distance, the crazy wrapping itself around her throat in a python hug.

Preacher Man's house. Preacher is asking about his son's state and Ryan's well, he's okay considering, and Preacher Man's all considering what? Omnipresent Cop steps in before Ryan has to get into that shitstorm, saying that Preacher Man and his family may be a target (May be? How many more members have to get kidnapped before it gets upgraded to definitely?) and so he's assigned agents to protect them.

Now, if you watch the screen carefully, you can actually see Ryan's Stupid Curse lunging across the room to sit atop Preacher Man's head and start giggling and throwing hard candy at everybody. Preacher says that his own security detail will be adequate to protect them. The law enforcement professionals in the room don't even bother hiding their contempt for this statement, and tell him that he and his wife had better fucking lay low and those idiots outside had better clear out. Preacher Man gets all "they are my flock" and Ryan is all "They are barbeque/target dummies is what they are" and that if Preacher insists on treating this like a TV show he's going to die and they are too. Preacher inquires smarmily if Ryan believes in God, and Ryan is so just not having this conversation again. He states he believes in smarts and Preacher had better start acting like he has some. It is an epically novel and massively unsettling sensation to agree with Ryan Hardy.

But alas, the Stupid Curse has latched on tight, and Preacher Man leaves the conversation to have a discussion on the burner phone with Joe, who has called with his usual crack timing. (Not one of the trained law enforcement pros appears to hear this discussion even though Preacher Man moves like fifteen feet away at most.) Blah blah blah wait for the sign and then do what I say. Yes, sure, says Preacher, squinting to see through the clouds of idiocy the Stupid Curse is spraying happily around the room.

Mike and Ryan head outside to the gathering of congregation members chanting prayers. Mike sneers that these "idiots" are praying for Preston's release and it doesn't work that way. Well, maybe not, Mike, but they've got to try something, because apparently no one has checked any IDs or is searching any of the cars that are pulling up around Joe Carroll's latest target's house. Blonde Joe Follower strolls right into the midst of them, douses herself with gasoline and grabs a nearby person's candle, then lights herself up right there, yelling "PRAISE JOE!" Well, shit, who coulda seen something like that coming?

As Blonde Follower screams in anguish (it really sounds likes she's surprised that self immolation hurts) various officials lunge forward with fire extinguishers and Preacher Man, watching from the window, turns to his security flunky and says in a calm, flat voice, "that's the sign, let's go." Not even a flinch of horror over the gruesomeness that he's just witnessed, not a thought that perhaps these people aren't the most stable and apt not to honor any deals made with them. Nope, they just head out like they're going to the drugstore, apparently climb in a car and drive off without a single person noticing, and next thing you know they're on a deserted road as Preacher Man heads for a van. He's told by a gun wielding guy to get in. He asks for his son. He receives a reply in the form of a blow to the head and off they go. Do you think Preacher Man's security detail gets more then minimum wage?

Cut to Emma hanging around in Follower's Uncle's House's Garage because why not, and Joe comes in for another of their little "please be smart" "Nah, more fun to be crazy" dances. It winds up with Joe laying on the crap about how he doesn't love Claire anymore, he loves Emma and how she's going to find immortality as the woman behind the man and JESUS GOD this is definitely the side of Joe that writes poetry. He winds up with a passionate kiss and hug. As he cradles Emma in his arms his face goes flat and blank, clearly showing that he's just feeding her a line. Interestingly, Emma herself doesn't look totally taken in, but more like she'll take this facsimile of passion over nothing at all. Emma, seriously, you really should have read Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights back in the day.

Part Three next up!

Part Three! How To Wire A Cathedral To Explode In Five Easy Steps!

Okay, where are we? Ah, Ryan is grilling Security Flunky about where Preacher Man has hared off to. The guy puts on a show for a second about loyalty, but Ryan, Mike and Omnipresent Cop are all A) Bullshit, B) Crazy Followers Be Everywhere, moron, and C) We will delight in nailing your stupid ass to the wall if more people die. Security Flunky's all well, I tried and pulls out an Ipad that's tracking Preacher, since Security Flunky apparently didn't have quite the faith that Kingston does in a bunch of crazy murderers and put a tracking device on him. Max grabs the Ipad and heads off to do her computer whiz thing.

Cut to a big NY cathedral, where a Mass is being said. Is it Sunday? If not it's not a bad turn out for weekday afternoon, but in a nice and exceedingly rare touch of realism, there's tons of empty chairs. This makes it easy for a bunch of nutty looking clad in black people to run straight in and strategically place themselves about the space, while no one in the congregation in a city that has been terrorized by highly public murder sprees for the past week, led by a guy who has declared war on religion and kidnapped a religious leader's kid and displayed it all on the internet, reacts at all. After Mass they must all be planning to go get coffee and go book shopping.

Cut to Ryan and Mike driving around New York while Max tracks the Preacher. Blah blah blah, hey, they actually have things like SWAT teams standing by for once! Ryan says let's get eyes on the followers first. SURE. WHY THE FUCK NOT. It's got to work this time! Ryan is a big fat liar when he says he has no faith, yo.

Well, it's not going to work for this janitor, who is gutted by Tilda as a group of the followers sneak in the open back door. That's an expression of trust I really can't see a cathedral in New York Ciy using, you know? Well, at least the janitor got to say a line before getting stabbed. His SAG card is waiting for him in heaven.

Black van pulls up and the followers unload a SHITTON of explosives and automatic rifles in through the back doors. Not a hint of anybody on the busy public street in the middle of the day noticing a thing. I'm starting to wonder whose side God is on here.

Commercial for I Wanna Marry Harry, which answers my question. God is on Joe's side.

Max tells Ryan and Max that the van with Preacher Man has stopped at the cathedral. Mike breathes "that's not good" as Ryan calls in the SWAT team. Hopefully they can siphon his teleportation powers and get there in the next three minutes.

But enough of this! I bet you were wondering what Claire's doing! Too bad, the show's going to tell you anyway. She's heading out the door with her marshals and a big, rattly bag. Nothing to worry about, right? She's just gonna go quietly back into Witness Protection. Her hair told her to.

Back to the Cathedral. Joe, Preacher and everybody else having swaggered right up the front steps of the place, the followers chain the door with an excess of rattling that should echo around that entire space, then stroll right on in. Hey, it's like those Masses with folk music! Only instead of playing guitar, Joe jumps right to the threats and screaming and marching up to the altar and tossing Preacher Man down like a rag doll. Joe turns and makes the announcement that he's Joe Carroll and he'll be leading the service now. And you all better shut up or he'll start reciting poetry.

Cut to Boarded Up Wherever The Hell Inn. Do you think they advertised that Joe Carroll stayed there once? They'd probably get all kinds of tourist dollars. Emma and NTG are sitting outside it in the car, waiting for Imaginary Claire to show up. They have a nice little discussion about trust issues and death and Emma has a speech about how she thinks death is silence. After hearing Joe's poetry, I can't blame her.

Cut to the cathedral. A follower in a pink hat is hanging out waiting for the cops. They oblige by sending ONE cop car. I guess that SWAT team didn't get the teleportation thingy from Ryan. When she sees them she pulls out a gun and apparently every sane person in NYC is on this street today because they react by screaming and running. The cops also pull their guns and tell her to drop it but she just goes on about how death doesn't scare them and BAM! off with her head! Damn it, she ruined that hat. Blood all over it.

Mike yells at the cops to call whoever they can reach (so they didn't know that this was a Joe Carroll thing? They just pulled up here randomly or what?) and follows Ryan who says he's got to get in there. Mike says SWAT's  on it's way but Ryan's all yeah but I didn't give them my Transportation Points and I'll just find a way in and you stay here. Mike's all nice try, c'mon, let's find a staircase.

Lots of catwalks and an inexplicably open window later (seriously, this cathedral's in New York and they just leave all the doors and windows open? Apart from the looting, vandalism and partying teens, their heating bill must be through the roof) and the Dynamic Duo are in. They hide just in time to hear two followers set up some tripwires to the window (helpfully announcing it) then run off, leaving the set tripwires. Don't call anybody or try to warn the SWAT team or jack shit. Just off, presumably to find another staircase to play on.

TIME FOR CLAIRE! I know, I'm excited to see what she's got planned too. Guess what it involves? That's right, a tear gas canister (I love how she pulls her turtleneck over her mouth and nose, like how Luke had to use a hankie)! The agents bail out with alacrity and try to stop her, but she pepper sprays them and runs off! Okay, Marshals, I know you have a job to do, but FUCK CLAIRE. She and that hair are on their own. Go get a beer and some nachos or something.

It's dark! Outside the cathedral there's a mess of everybody, and Omnipresent Cop says they can't do anything until they get intel on the hostages, so find Ryan. Okay, because there's nobody else in the entire city who knows this place's layout? Remember, he doesn't know Ryan's already inside.

But Max does! Because Ryan just called her! From the upper level of the cathedral, which is designed to bounce sound off every surface and intensify it.  He's barely even whispering. Max tells them that Joe's people cut the CCTV link and Ryan says they'll try to rehook it oh and by the way there's some explosives all over the place and it's wired to blow. Nice of you to point that out.

Part FOUR coming up!

Part Four! Floor Show!

Down on the main floor Preston is brought out. Hugs between him and Preacher and Joe revels in showing Preacher the film of Preston stabbing Courtney. He even did a nice edit so it goes right to the main event. Somebody in his group is a professional. Lots of Joe blather. LOTS of it, but he actually calls Kingston Preacher Man (as I squeal with delight) and wraps it up in a big Cliche Bow by asking "Where is your God now?" Joe sounds like every pissed off fifteen year old who's ever told their parents they're not going to church anymore. Most fifteen year olds don't back it up with AK47s, though, it's true.

Ryan and Mike find the office with the CCTV stuff. And the dead janitor. Wasn't he in the hall before?

Live on the internet, Tilda grins like the Cheshire Cat as Joe begins his main event.  Usual blowhard crap, asking "Why Kingston?" Well, probably because Kingston publicly called you out? Carrie doesn't care, though. She's sitting on her set, just surfing the net when she catches Joe. She immediately leaps up and tells a random person they need to go live, now. I am more concerned with Carrie's apparent devotion to sleeveless dresses in the middle of a polar vortex winter.

Joe offers Kingston a choice between God and him. Kingston goes the situational ethics road and kneels before Joe, begging for Preston's life. But even after he follows Joe's dictates to renounce God, Joe demonstrates why you really shouldn't trust a narcissistic sociopathic murderer to keep his word and hauls them both up to the altar. Gee, I wonder what he's got in mind?

Yep, it involves making Preacher and S of a P stab each other. I guess Joe saw that L&O Criminal Intent with that furniture maker who kidnapped couples and made them shoot at each other from elaborate chairs. Joe, going with anything from The Jeff Goldblum season isn't a good idea.

And it really isn't. First, Preston lunges at Joe (he doesn't get close, but good try), and then we cut to Mike and Ryan fixing up the CCTV cameras. They note that the followers mean business as they scan the piles of explosives (NO REALLY? WHAT GAVE IT AWAY) and back down to Preacher and Son of. As the entire viewing public says aloud "he's gonna kill himself" the scene drags out until Kingston does indeed cut his own throat! Joe, uniquely in the universe, is genuinely surprised.

OKAY, FINALLY. The good part! Claire pulls up in a cab outside Wherever The Hell Inn! Just like Joe said she would! It is a volcanically novel and earthshakingly unsettling sensation to agree with Joe Carroll. (Also, Claire took a cab from midtown Manhattan all the way out here? How the hell did she get the driver to agree to that? What did she pay him with, a handful of loose thousands some marshal or other scooped up from Lily's house and gave her as a per diem?)

Ryan tells Omnipresent Cop about the situation and hangs up. Mike tells Ryan, c'mon, let's go down there and kill Joe no matter what. Ryan points out the big group of heavily armed followers will probably blow up the building when that happens, and I've already got a girlfriend to outline this particular unworkable plan for me. Mike says not to worry, he won't do anything stupid in a tone of voice that further reminds Ryan of Claire. Unsurprisingly, he doesn't look reassured.

Boring scene where Max announces hackers are mirroring the feed, then to Joe saying he didn't see Kingston's suicide coming. The entire congregation is all you were alone in that and Joe says it was cowardice. Dude, you dropped the ball, don't pretend you didn't.

Claire walks straight into the closed up Inn through the unlocked doors. What. The. Hell. Every homeless person in a fifty mile radius should be camping out there, but Claire isn't kicking her way through piles of old porn mags and beer cans so I guess this hotel is located in Brigadoon. Lots of this show's specialty, wandering around in the dark, until finally Claire turns on some lights and Emma pops out, looking quite chuffed. She's probably thrilled she finally has the better hair.

Claire pulls a gun and in response to Emma's snotty query as to whether she can use it , fires one centimeter from Emma's head. Emma hilariously gives a delayed flinch and tells Claire she can't shoot her because who would lead her to Joe? Long and bitchy scene, which NTG settles by taking Claire down. Emma grabs the gun and takes charge of the situation, which involves shooting NTG! He grabs her and she shoots again, but Claire gets away.

Ryan and Mike sneak around.

Time for a long boring chase scene in the dark! I know, I can't wait either. Claire and Emma creep around while Emma monologues about her gratitude and family before just screaming in frustration that it's over, get out here and get shot! Nope! Time for fight scene in the dark! It really saves on choreography when you can't see what's going on, but long and short, CLAIRE STABS EMMA AND CHUCKS HER OUT THE WINDOW! WOW! Claire stands before the shattered pane, debating whether to leave a note for the owners, but then hauls ass downstairs to check out her handiwork.

And now, the show does us all a huge favor and pays tribute to Kevin Bacon's horror movie past by having Emma pop up like Jason and pull Claire down! Struggle, but Claire comes out on top by basically stabbing Emma in the chest with a big piece of wood. Emma lays stretched out, her pointless struggle of a life finally at an end. Here's hoping her afterlife consists of her gay boyfriends continually kicking her in the face while Joe's poem plays on an everlasting loop.

Winding up for the finale, we open after the break to Claire staggering away in shock, straight into the arms of the Psycho twins!!! What in God's name are they doing there? How on earth did they know Claire was going to be in a boarded up inn in the middle of nowhere? Well, I'm sure she can ask them all about it, as they clearly are taking her with them. Your plan went like clockwork, Claire. Genius. Your mom will tell stories to your son about this. Actually, she'll probably deny you ever existed and take him to a deserted island and raise him as Mowgli.

Back to the cathedral and Joe, having heard they have company, decides enough is enough, cut to the last act and threatens to kill hostages unless whoever's sneaking around shows themselves. He starts counting down from five really fast and Mike pops out. He drops his gun and offers his life instead. Joe is thrilled to see Mike, since where Mike is Ryan is. Mike yells for Ryan to kill Joe, and Joe delights in the fact that these two nimrods came alone (way to go, Mike!) and declares them mavericks. Wait a sec, Kevin Bacon wasn't in Top Gun!

On and on the scene goes, Mike bellowing for Ryan to kill Joe, Joe gloating and occasionally hitting Mike as Ryan clings to the staircase's warm embrace and looks unsure what to do--is his hair okay to go on streaming feed? Don't worry, Ryan, Claire didn't get near it.

Finally Joe roars with frustration and says Mikey is going to die in Three! Two! One! And blackout on a gunshot. Oh my, what could have happened? We will find out next week! FINALE TIME, and that means the crazy is going to be totally off leash!

Edited by Snookums
  • Love 2

Awesome recap as always Snookums. The biggest WTF moment for me (in a sea of WTF moments) was when Ryan and Mike heard and saw the tripwires being set on the windows and simply strolled away. They didn't even bother to walk the two steps to the window and give it a quick looksie. I understand the plot needed to keep everyone out so Mike and Ryan can play the lone avengers but come on, give me something. Let one of them say " oh no way can we disarm this without help." or something that demonstrates that they aren't completely incompetent at their jobs  Really Show, I don't ask for much but can you not hit me in the face with the stupid quite so hard every episode. I'm not even going to go into how they didn't bother and try to warn the SWAT team following them though I'm pretty sure they could have called as they both had their cell phones. Oh, well, one more episode and I have a feeling the stupidity is going to be at an all-time high but It just wouldn't be The Following without it.

• Love 1

Random thought - Montclair, NJ isn't exactly known as a magnet for smarmy, sweet-talking southern televangelists.

Prediction for season 3: first half will feature Ryan and Joe teaming up to save Claire from the Blunder Twins. With said mission being impossibly accomplished, the second half will feature Ryan, Joe and Claire joining together a la the Trinity of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman to save little Joey from the Grey Boyz. Featuring Mike Weston as Aquaman.

If this show steals this idea without paying me the normal rate of $100 that its current writers earn per episode, lawsuits will be filed. I've got witnesses.

Edited by Moebee

I just caught up with this last night, and wow, this episode was stupid even for this show. I see I'm not alone in wondering exactly what chain of wild coincidences led to the twins ending up at the same remote, abandoned hotel that Claire was hoping to lure Joe to. I can't imagine they're going to be able to explain that.

The televangelist killing himself was super-obvious to everyone except Joe. Hasn't he seen people offer themselves as sacrifices repeatedly? Claire for Joey, Ryan for his sister, etc? He is the world's slowest connection-maker. No wait, that's Ryan.

I loved Mike saying he wouldn't do anything stupid ... cut to him ending up in the middle of the congregation with guns pointed at him. Also, Joe is like a parent who had the "you're going into time out if I count to 3" technique work once, so he's just going to use it for everything now.

Featuring Mike Weston as Aquaman.

Poor Mike. No one ever appreciates Aquaman.

Teaming up to save Claire seems inevitable. Which leads me back to the point that she should've stayed dead so we wouldn't have this crappy possibility. Can the twins just kill all three & then drive around the country on a sightseeing tour with Ryan & Joe in the backseat?

I just want to add that this morning, my husband called from the kitchen, "Hey, I have a question about The Following."

Me: "I have an answer: there is no earthly reason."

Him: "Yeah, that's what I thought."

After which I asked what his question was going to be, and it was "how/why did the twins end up in the same place Claire was?", just as I suspected.

• Love 1

On this, a show that is nothing if not gloriously, unabashedly stabby, why did Claire kill Emma in the inkiest blackness of a thousand midnights? Gah, I couldn't see a thing. I hate it when they do that.

It must be Easter because otherwise, why would there be so many flower arrangements?

• Love 1