Type keyword(s) to search

English Premier League

lambertman
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 4/26/2023 at 2:52 PM, Wee S said:

And how they laughed at Gary Neville when he said Arsenal would bottle it....

Forgive me (Man City fan), but this is what I was telling myself when City lost to Brentford before the WC break.  If Brentford repeat their victory in their second match-up, I will really cry.

I must give major props to @AimingforYoko.  You are so funny and clever.  And you even gave a shout out to a Minnesota Twins baseball player.  I was born and raised in Minnesota in the Harmon Killebrew days.

Oh shit, you guys.  I'm so sorry.  I read the Arsenal result incorrectly.  Leave me alone!  I'm an old woman and I don't watch the games live because it's too early here!

But seriously, it isn't over yet and, once again, Arsenal are in the building stages of a championship team.  Also, Haaland and Guardiola will be leaving City soon.

Edited by Oosala
Edited because I fucked up while reading the Arsenal result. God!

Welluh, Arsenal aren't going to win the league this year but second place is way better than this young team did previously and now we are guaranteed Champions League play so more dosh to splash out as needed. Go you Gunners!

• Like 2
15 hours ago, isalicat said:

Welluh, Arsenal aren't going to win the league this year but second place is way better than this young team did previously and now we are guaranteed Champions League play so more dosh to splash out as needed. Go you Gunners!

Yep, I think that was kinda getting lost in all the title hope, that Arsenal really has had a terrific season despite a few bobbles.

• Like 2

Re: Leicester

Is seven seasons between winning the title and being relegated the quickest downfall ever? (Certainly in the EPL era.) Ironically, seven seasons before winning the League, they were mired in League One. 

15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Re: Leicester

Is seven seasons between winning the title and being relegated the quickest downfall ever? (Certainly in the EPL era.) Ironically, seven seasons before winning the League, they were mired in League One. 

Blackburn Rovers won the Premiership in 1994-95, and were relegated from the EPL after the 1998-99 season. 

• Useful 4
(edited)

@Wee S said "And how they laughed at Gary Neville when he said Arsenal would bottle it...."

YEAH BABY!  I also expected Arsenal to fade at the end but not this badly.  I am thrilled, but it does take away the fun of the  remaining games.  Both of my teams have pulled off a three-peat now -- Man City and the Lakers.   🎵 Blue Moon.... 

driving waynes world GIF

This .gif is relevant since they're listening to Queen and that reminds me of the MC/QPR League-winning match in May 2012.  I just watched the end of that match again on YouTube.  Martin Tyler saying, "it might just be the start of a dynasty."

The Everton drama remains, though.  I hope they're not relegated.

Edited by Oosala
(edited)
On 5/20/2023 at 2:41 PM, Oosala said:

@Wee S said "And how they laughed at Gary Neville when he said Arsenal would bottle it...."

YEAH BABY!  I also expected Arsenal to fade at the end but not this badly.  I am thrilled, but it does take away the fun of the  remaining games.  Both of my teams have pulled off a three-peat now -- Man City and the Lakers.   🎵 Blue Moon.... 

driving waynes world GIF

This .gif is relevant since they're listening to Queen and that reminds me of the MC/QPR League-winning match in May 2012.  I just watched the end of that match again on YouTube.  Martin Tyler saying, "it might just be the start of a dynasty."

The Everton drama remains, though.  I hope they're not relegated.

IDK, if you have more money than God, you too can buy a successful football club, lol.

In all seriousness, Arsenal needs to invest in defense over the summer.  It's the one place where they're thinnest on the bench and it really let them down.  Saliba's injury was the beginning of the end for our title hopes.

At least that loss allowed Notts Forest to stay up.  I've had a soft spot for them since the 98/99 season (my first watching the Premier League) because they were in it then but went down at the end of the season.  I was happy when they came back up in August and am glad they're staying.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

At least that loss allowed Notts Forest to stay up.  I've had a soft spot for them since the 98/99 season (my first watching the Premier League) ...

I've always had a soft spot for Everton, even though Pickford's goal kicks often end up in the stadium seats.  At least they're in the expensive seats!  This is a controllable part of a goalkeeper's job, and one that could definitely be improved by practice.  He's England's goalkeeper, for Christ's sake.

Guess I'm in good company here because Dame Judy is also an Everton fan.

3 minutes ago, Oosala said:

I've always had a soft spot for Everton, even though Pickford's goal kicks often end up in the stadium seats.  At least they're in the expensive seats!  This is a controllable part of a goalkeeper's job, and one that could definitely be improved by practice.  He's England's goalkeeper, for Christ's sake.

Guess I'm in good company here because Dame Judy is also an Everton fan.

Yeah, I like Everton too.  Relegation this season is something of a bitch since I don't dislike any of the teams in the bottom.  Why can't they relegate Spurs, just on principle?  😁

On a related note: how the hell does Pickford keep his national team place?  Surely Pope or Ramsdale (both, really) deserves a shot at it.

• Like 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, I like Everton too.  Relegation this season is something of a bitch since I don't dislike any of the teams in the bottom.  Why can't they relegate Spurs, just on principle?  😁

On a related note: how the hell does Pickford keep his national team place?  Surely Pope or Ramsdale (both, really) deserves a shot at it.

Yes, please, to relegating the Spurs.  Fecking Son is the very definition of a diver.  Re: Pickford, it's a long-standing mystery to me why Southgate is so loyal to the guy.  He really needs to re-think this, especially considering the massive difference between Arsenal and Everton's 2022-23 seasons.  Give the spot to Ramsdale because he's more than earned it.

Edited by Oosala
  • Like 1

That was a wild finish to the season.  I feel a bit sorry for Leicester going down but they played really badly this year.

6 points ended up separating Arsenal from the title.  Argh!  Oh well, it still was a fantastic season and justified the faith upper management had in Arteta during a frustrating rebuilding period.  And there's the Champion's League to look forward to next season.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Farewell, Granit Xhaka!  It's been a wild ride, but you really came through last season.  I hope Leverkusen works out for you.

He is 30 years old and got a 5 year contract in an easier league so I think its already worked out for him. Arsenal is getting some amazing young talent so I think its working out for the Gunners as well! 😺

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, isalicat said:

He is 30 years old and got a 5 year contract in an easier league so I think its already worked out for him. Arsenal is getting some amazing young talent so I think its working out for the Gunners as well! 😺

True dat.  I was texting a friend yesterday about snagging Kai Havertz off Chelsea.

But I will miss shouting "Xhaka!" like Michael Caine in Zulu.  (At least I assume it was Michael Caine.  I've never actually seen it.)

• Wink 1

Absolutely raging about how United have handled the De Gea saga. I'm a longtime fan, so I get that he is past his prime, we needed a new #1 however he served us so well for 12 years. Saved us so many times. He was our last member of our last title-winning team; our longest serving keeper....he deserved a better send-off than a post on social media. Hope he gets his testimonial and does not follow the recent trend of making his way to saudi. Thank you De Gea!

• Like 1

Nice to see Chelsea play a full 90' and not roll over. They even had some chances to go ahead towards the end. 

I think Wolves may have got robbed of a PK at the end. I only saw the second half, but I don't know how they could finish at least one. 

Those of you who follow the EPL may have seen the news that Everton are to be docked 10 points for financial malfeasance....whereas Man City and Chelsea, who have done far, far worse, are still not being penalized accordingly.

On top of the obvious refereeing bias that is being exhibited this season and the benighted use of VAR, its been a real shitshow to watch the EPL lately and I wonder how long this goes on before all the fans just tune out for good. 😿

On 11/17/2023 at 2:26 PM, isalicat said:

Those of you who follow the EPL may have seen the news that Everton are to be docked 10 points for financial malfeasance....whereas Man City and Chelsea, who have done far, far worse, are still not being penalized accordingly.

On top of the obvious refereeing bias that is being exhibited this season and the benighted use of VAR, its been a real shitshow to watch the EPL lately and I wonder how long this goes on before all the fans just tune out for good. 😿

Apparently the FA is still investigating City and Chelsea - we'll see if anything comes of it.  It is exceedingly unfair to punish Everton for something other teams have been getting away with for years.

As to VAR, my go-to phrase is now "If there's any way VAR can screw over Arsenal, it will.  But hey, at least they've overcome that for the moment and are on top of the table.

• Love 1

And then they screw up at Villa Park.  Oh, Arsenal, you inconsistent drama queen.

While I like to think that Arteta knows what he's doing, but I fail to see the point of the David Raya experiment.  He brings nothing to the team that Ramsdale didn't, and Ramsdale was more consistent in goal.

• Like 1

On one hand, I wanted to feel sorry for Sheffield United for getting crushed by Arsenal like that, but on the other, goal difference might come into play at the end of the season, so . . . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sing! We are top of the league, top of the league, top of the league!! Come on you Gunners! (the Manshitty keeper also is now suspended due to too many fouls plus he got a knock, so the stars are aligning!)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
33 minutes ago, isalicat said:

the Manshitty keeper also is now suspended due to too many fouls plus he got a knock, so the stars are aligning!)

What a bonehead, weak play too. Not that it wasn't a PK; it most certainly was. If he goes to the ground and takes the ball off the face, worst it's a corner. He doesn't get the starting job back if I'm the manager. 

I was surprised for such an end to end game, there weren't any goals in the run of play. 

That 6-0 result could be the most important of the season. 

Big game on Sunday! Man City vs. Arsenal - Pep Guardiola vs. Mikhail Arteta! Its at ManCity...but since the Gunners left Highbury I'm not sure how much that will matter. I'm jittery already because this might just determine the league winner...!

Well, I'd much rather Arsenal had won, but a non-loss at the Etihad is pretty damned good.  They hadn't managed that since 2016.  And a two-point difference with Liverpool is far from insurmountable.

• Like 2

Well thank you Salah for the equalizer in the Man U/Liverpool game....so Arsenal (due to goal differential) is still top of the league!! Go you Gunners!

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, isalicat said:

Well thank you Salah for the equalizer in the Man U/Liverpool game....so Arsenal (due to goal differential) is still top of the league!! Go you Gunners!

Yep, all they have to do now is win their remaining games and the title is theirs.

• Sad 1

I'm rooting for Villa to hang on to 4th. 

I didn't think City would stumble, but I also didn't think they'd be able to overtake the other 2. 

You have to beat Palace at home if you expect to be a champion. Come on. 

Back on top of the league, for the moment...a nice little display against the Wolves and its always good to see Chelsea lose (even to ManShitty). There is only one team in London!! 😸

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
On 4/20/2024 at 10:04 PM, isalicat said:

Back on top of the league, for the moment...a nice little display against the Wolves and its always good to see Chelsea lose (even to ManShitty). There is only one team in London!! 😸

All we need now is for Arsenal to win the rest of their matches and City to draw one.  Not holding my breath since I've been burned before.

• Like 1