Type keyword(s) to search

English Premier League

lambertman
  • Start Topic

Somebody pinch me! They actually scrambled back in an important game! Guess Welbz is gonna have one important game changing moment each season. Also Man City -- really? 

Talk about waiting until the last freaking second!  But, YAY!!!

If only City had managed the draw . . .

• Love 1

Sigh...can I come in here to cry about Liverpool? That quote "It's the hope that kills you" has never been more appropriate than to a Liverpool fan.

You'll never sulk alone.

I'll see myself out now.

• Love 4

I've been a casual American follower of the EPL since Eric Cantona was karate-kicking fans. I have to ask the more diehard among you, if Leicester pulls this off, will they be the most surprising champ since Blackburn 20 years ago?

I've been a casual American follower of the EPL since Eric Cantona was karate-kicking fans. I have to ask the more diehard among you, if Leicester pulls this off, will they be the most surprising champ since Blackburn 20 years ago?

I'd say probably this would be more surprising than that Blackburn team. If memory serves me right, the 94/95 Blackburn squad was an expensively (at that time) assembled team of probably the best British talent around whereas Leicester bought a lot of their players for a cheap price.

• Love 1

Sigh...can I come in here to cry about Liverpool? That quote "It's the hope that kills you" has never been more appropriate than to a Liverpool fan.

*waves* Fellow Liverpool supporter here. Solidarity, my friend. (I didn't realise there was a sports section on here! Colour me excited.) As nice as yesterday's win over City was, couldn't they have managed that on Sunday? Given that Mignolet's only real strengths are his fast reflexes and shot-stopping I actually let myself believe we might beat them when it came to penalties.

Looking forward to the North London derby this weekend, those are usually entertaining!

• Love 1

And there's Arsenal, Arsenal-ing it up all over the place.  Ugh.

To be fair to them, any team that had been drawn against Barcelona in the CL this round would probably have gone out. They're just on a different level right now - I think it's been almost six months since they last lost a match. (God I miss Suarez.) And maybe now that Arsenal are out of the CL they can regain their league form again. Don't they usually finish strong in the league? I feel like they always have this dip around February/March, where they drop too many points, and then they come back and end on a series of wins, clinching fourth place. Only this year they should get at least third.

I really hope Leicester can hold the rest of the pack off. It'd be bloody brilliant if they actually won it.

To be fair to them, any team that had been drawn against Barcelona in the CL this round would probably have gone out. They're just on a different level right now - I think it's been almost six months since they last lost a match. (God I miss Suarez.) And maybe now that Arsenal are out of the CL they can regain their league form again. Don't they usually finish strong in the league? I feel like they always have this dip around February/March, where they drop too many points, and then they come back and end on a series of wins, clinching fourth place. Only this year they should get at least third.

I really hope Leicester can hold the rest of the pack off. It'd be bloody brilliant if they actually won it.

I was actually referring to the FA Cup loss to Watford.  I don't think anyone expected them not to lose to Barca; it's what they do.  And you are correct, this is the time of year when it generally all falls apart.  I was hoping for another good run at the FA Cup, though.

But yeah, if not Arsenal, then Leicester would be amazing.  (And of course, anyone but Spurs.)

I was actually referring to the FA Cup loss to Watford.  I don't think anyone expected them not to lose to Barca; it's what they do.  And you are correct, this is the time of year when it generally all falls apart.  I was hoping for another good run at the FA Cup, though.

But yeah, if not Arsenal, then Leicester would be amazing.  (And of course, anyone but Spurs.)

Ah yeah, the FA Cup. That one was a bit worse, although Watford have shown throughout the season that they're no pushovers.

And heh, yeah, I have a friend who supports Spurs and he would be utterly insufferable if they go on to win it, so please no. I'm not completely discarding Arsenal yet, either - Spurs and Leicester have no experience in title races, they could both easily panic and lose a few games and let Arsenal (and the others - it's such a tight race this year!) right back into it. Man, I wish we were up there.

And of course this week it's Liverpool Liverpool-ing up a 2-0 lead with 20 minutes to go. There's a nostalgic part of me that still loves Martin Skrtel just for being the last one left (except for Lucas) from the squad I first fell in love with, but I blame him for that loss. Everything fell apart when he came on. Can this season just be over already?

And speaking of falling apart, that seems to be exactly what Manchester City have done. What's happened to them? After today's match against United I wonder when Demichelis will get to start again. He's never been reliable, but he was absolutely dreadful today.

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 1

And speaking of falling apart, that seems to be exactly what Manchester City have done. What's happened to them?

A lot of the commentators opined that City has written off the Premiership in favor of trying to get to the Champions League Final.  My personal theory, though, is Pellegrini just doesn't give a shit now that the Golden Pep is on the horizon.  And I wouldn't either, if I was him.

A lot of the commentators opined that City has written off the Premiership in favor of trying to get to the Champions League Final.  My personal theory, though, is Pellegrini just doesn't give a shit now that the Golden Pep is on the horizon.  And I wouldn't either, if I was him.

I don't know, I think Pellegrini has more integrity than that.

My dad believes the players have lost focus and are worrying about next year under a new manager, wondering whether they'll get to keep their spots, etc. If that's the case, then they're really mentally fragile - they should see this as an opportunity to play their best and show Pep that they deserve their spot in the squad next season. Demichelis can't blame his lack of focus on that, though, he really just isn't good enough. And I'm not convinced by Mangala, either.

(I'm crossing my fingers that PSG will beat City in the CL quarter. As a Swede, I'm rooting for my man Zlatan to get to the final.)

ETA - The relegation zone has got quite interesting, too. Villa are almost definitely going down - if they suddenly pulled together a string of wins I suppose they could drag themselves up, but they just don't look able to do that - and Sunderland have been flirting with relegation for years; I think it's time they lost that battle. For some reason I'm sort of fond of Norwich, but between them and Newcastle... I'm pulling for Newcastle.

Edited by Schweedie

I'm hoping so too, if only so the smug EPL fanboys screaming "PSG are in a crap league! They're not that good!!1!" can shut up. I'm not a PSG fan, but that's always that go to excuse for Bayern/PSG being so much better than everyone else (english teams). Though I wouldn't put PSG on the same level as Bayern, but still. 

(I'm crossing my fingers that PSG will beat City in the CL quarter. As a Swede, I'm rooting for my man Zlatan to get to the final.)

I'm not really bothered one way or the other about the result, really, but Zlatan is just so Zlatantasic that I couldn't not root for him.  That man is damned entertaining.

I don't know, I think Pellegrini has more integrity than that.

That is true.  Maybe I just want him to be secretly thinking that because I dislike Pep so much.

Well, it is true that the EPL is a more competitive league than most of the others. PSG already wrapped up their league title, so they have an advantage in being able to rest players. PSG has been knocking on the door, from what I've seen, in the CL for 3-4 years now. It's said in all sports, you have to learn how to win, and I think they're getting right to that level. 

They're a big money team that can get big players just like any other big team in all the leagues. That's the way it works in sports.

(edited)
the Golden Pep

I'm now trying to figure out he ways I can work this phrase into casual conversations.

prosperina65, why don't you like Pep? I am neutral on him, but I am always curious to hear criticisms of him.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

I'm now trying to figure out he ways I can work this phrase into casual conversations.

prosperina65, why don't you like Pep? I am neutral on him, but I am always curious to hear criticisms of him.

Well, I'll be honest and say that probably my dislike of him is based mainly on how the media idealizes him and not so much the man himself.  The cult of Pep worship which seems so prevalent in football journalism turns my stomach.  I can't take credit for the Golden Pep nickname - that was given to him by a football writer, at least halfway seriously.  (Okay, some of my dislike is based on the eternal Barca superiority/Arsenal inferiority relationship too.)

• Love 1
On 27 april 2016 at 8:18 PM, proserpina65 said:

The final verdict from the jury in the Hillsborough inquest has been announced.  Too bad it took 27 YEARS for the families and survivors to get some measure of justice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/26/Hillsborough-disaster-verdict-96-victims-unlawfully-killed-jury-concludes/

I basically bawled my way through the reporting that day. Finally. I wish Anne Williams had still been alive to see it.

So, Leicester need two more points to win the league, unless Tottenham drop points against Chelsea tomorrow. A part of me wants Leicester to win it while they're at least playing themselves, but I also just want it done and dusted for them, so... For once I'm going to have to root for Chelsea.

The less said about Liverpool's performance today, the better. They were obviously already thinking about Villareal on Thursday.

• Love 1

5000-1. I'm trying to think of a comparable long shot winning the title in a major American sport and I'm coming up empty. This is like the Philadelphia 76ers winning the NBA title next season. (Of course, if the NBA were playing under EPL rules, they couldn't do it, because they'd be relegated to the D-League.)

• Love 2

It's probably on par with Villanova in 1985 winning the college basketball tournament or maybe NC State in 1983. Or even the Jets winning the superbowl in 1969. The only thing is with those, they're only fixed games and not 40. Baseball would be close, so maybe the Kansas City Royals, but even then, it wasn't that long odds.

If you want to be the champions, you don't blow a 2-0 and spend the rest of the game kicking people. 

That ref should be fired. He let the game get way out of hand.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:07 PM, AimingforYoko said:

5000-1. I'm trying to think of a comparable long shot winning the title in a major American sport and I'm coming up empty. This is like the Philadelphia 76ers winning the NBA title next season. (Of course, if the NBA were playing under EPL rules, they couldn't do it, because they'd be relegated to the D-League.)

Yeah, I can't come up with anything, either.  Salary caps and revenue sharing pretty much eliminate the David vs Goliath aspect here. Alan Kulwicki, maybe?

Anyway, congrats to Leicester. I haven't had a PL club to root for since Fulham went down,  so it was fun pulling for the Foxes in the 2nd half of this season. 

Spurs really spit the bit the last couple of weeks.

I'm honestly just so thrilled for them. Absolutely amazing that a team who were newly promoted and battled relegation the season before this one have pulled this off.

That match between Chelsea and Spurs, though? What an awful way to end the title race. Spurs should've had three or four players sent off - I can't believe Walker, Lamela and Dier all stayed on. I'm with ganesh, Clattenburg let the game get completely out of hand.

All you need is to send one player off. There were enough on yellows that they would have fallen into line. All the yellows he issued were fair, but he wouldn't do a second yellow. Once you give you give out those first 2 or 3, that's where the line is. You may let them toe that line before issuing the second, but there were numerous, blatant fouls that were clearly way over the line. Once you're having extended stoppages every 4 minutes or so, you lose the game. 

• Love 2

Yeah. I understand the desire to keep all players on the pitch and not be made out to have ruined such an important game with a sending off, but he really had to set his foot down and show the players that their behaviour wasn't acceptable. One red card, and they would've calmed down.

In other news, I forgive Liverpool for that atrocious performance against Swansea after last night. Europa League final, baby!

• Love 1

I understand the desire to keep all players on the pitch and not be made out to have ruined such an important game with a sending off, but he really had to set his foot down and show the players that their behaviour wasn't acceptable.

That's still on the ref because you have to make that clear when you call the captains out for the start of the game. "We all know this is an important game. I don't intend to call it tight, but I'm going to let you know where the line is." I think he started issuing the yellows too early. If you've really got more than 2 or 3 in the first half/55', you've already lost most control of the game. Because once you do that, you're backing yourself into a corner. Really, he could have issued second yellows to at least one on each side as well at different points in the second half.

(I used to ref. I reffed with a guy who reffed in the WC in 1994! He was a trip.)

Liverpool came to play. I was impressed. Two of those goals were kind of sloppy on defense, but that's not Liverpool's fault. They played better and deserved to win. I felt bad for the Villa keeper because I think they kind of let him down. Still though, he's 23! He still played well. 

15 hours ago, Schweedie said:

In other news, I forgive Liverpool for that atrocious performance against Swansea after last night. Europa League final, baby!

I can't stop smiling. They spent most of this season having me hold my head in my hands in frustration because they'd either be terrible or really, really good but the last few games in Europe have made me ecstatic for the future, Now they just need to finish the job in Basel and I'll be actually just fine with this season :)

• Love 2
(edited)

I know I'm not really in a position (ie, 8th) to mock a team who finished third, but -- I can't help laughing at how Tottenham have bottled it over the last few weeks. From "Leicester are gonna drop off and Spurs are gonna overtake them!" to "Will they catch Leicester?" to "Well, they'll finish second and above Arsenal, finally" to... third place, with two points less then 12/13 despite this going to be "their best season ever".

It's been a hell of a season many ways. Leicester, Jamie Vardy's new goalscoring record, Chelsea's early relegation form and Mourinho's seven-minute rants, Liverpool-Norwich 5-4, Van Gaal throwing himself to the ground in front of the assistant referee that one time, that 2-2 match between Chelsea and Spurs, Sunderland surviving relegation AGAIN, Aston Villa completely falling apart, Newcastle-Tottenham 5-1 (with three goals scored while they were playing with 10 men)... Until August, Premier League!

Edited by Schweedie
  • Love 2
(edited)

I was, of course, thrilled to see Arsenal leap-frog over Spurs for 2nd; hey, it's Arsenal - we have to take what we can get.  But I was frankly touched to see Giroud sharing the celebration of his third goal with Rosicky and Arteta, and practically teared up when Arteta scored on his very last Gunners' appearance.  (Yeah, I know, technically it was an own goal against Bunn, but Arteta made it happen.)

The situation at Old Trafford was scary, and although it caused a lot of trouble, I'm damned glad it turned out to be a honest mistake rather than an actual bomb.

Edited by proserpina65
(edited)

Meanwhile, in the promotion play-offs, Derby making it interesting against Hull by getting two goals in the first 38 minutes of their second leg. On aggregate Hull still leads 3:2.

Edit: It's final: Hull City moves on to the final against Sheffield Wednesday (on May 28th).

Edited by Just Here
Updated for final score
21 hours ago, Just Here said:

Meanwhile, in the promotion play-offs, Derby making it interesting against Hull by getting two goals in the first 38 minutes of their second leg. On aggregate Hull still leads 3:2.

Edit: It's final: Hull City moves on to the final against Sheffield Wednesday (on May 28th).

I was hoping for Brighton & Hove Albion to make it up to the Prem.  Oh well, Sheffield Wednesday it is.  They were in the Prem when I first started watching back in 98-99, and I wouldn't mind seeing them again.  Not that I hate Hull or anything.

Mourinho at United, Pep at City, Wenger at Arsenal, Conte at Chelsea, Klopp at Liverpool, Poch at Spurs, Ranieri at Leicester...August needs to hurry up and get here!

(Don't want to talk about the absolute meltdown Liverpool had in the Europa League final)

• Love 1
On ‎08‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:23 PM, JustaPerson said:

Welp. Looks like Arsenal-induced misery starts early this season. 

If Pep can't even get to the CL final with a team like Bayern, City might as well get a refund on him now. 

Haven't seen the match yet, but yeeks.  Although it's not the first time Arsenal completely blew the first match of the season.  You know how it is: "this season it will be different".  <SIGH>

• Love 2