Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Mardi Gras Mad

Boot camp has been transformed into one of America's greatest culinary cities, New Orleans, where the recruits will learn how to tackle the cuisine's melting pot of flavors and techniques.

For the skill drill, the recruits must work as a team to fill in the missing words on a recipe that they then have to execute.

For the main dish challenge, the recruits must individually replicate their mentors' New Orleans-inspired dishes.

Well, what happened was that everyone mugged for the camera, Mandy gave attitude when her dish was criticized, and probably the most non-hyper nice contestant was let go-the male from Rachel's team along with Britney from Anne's team.  

• Love 5

That pretty much sums it up.  He was booted for forgetting two ingredients, green pepper and garnish (he chopped the garnish, just forgot to put it on).  Meanwhile, Ann the flight attendant forgot how to de-poop shrimp--she removed something from the inside curve of the shrimp rather than where the intestine actually is, on the back part.  So she served shrimp shit and got to stay on.  Go figure.

I have no idea why I'm watching this.

• Love 4

Seriously, I thought for sure Ann was a goner when she didn't devein the shrimp. I caught up On Demand since there are at least 4 shows on at 9pm Sundays I want to watch. They're up against The Walking Dead for the 2nd week, too, so... Well, only two more episodes to go.

The guy from Rachaels's team who was let go must have really burned the crap out of his hand a few episodes back, since he's been cooking with a latex glove on it ever since. And yes, it definitely says something about my level of engagement that we are something like two episodes from the end of the season and I have not bothered to learn most of these hamsters' names.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Seriously, I thought for sure Ann was a goner when she didn't devein the shrimp. 

That was in the first challenge which doesn't count. She got it right in the second or I'm sure it would have ended her.  As it happened all she did wrong that round was overseasoning, which was less than Adam's forgetting the bell peppers.

Speaking of which, bell peppers and mayonnaise were freakout-worthy ingredients this week? Makes the baby corn and eggplant phobias from last week seem rational.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Amarsir said:

Speaking of which, bell peppers and mayonnaise were freakout-worthy ingredients this week? Makes the baby corn and eggplant phobias from last week seem rational.

I hate mayo. Mainly because so many people over use it. I used to have a similar reaction but once I started making my own I am no longer disgusted by it.. I still won't have it on sandwiches or order tuna salad at a deli but I no longer gag at the thought of it but I still felt for what's his name.

• Love 2

The guy from Rachaels's team who was let go must have really burned the crap out of his hand a few episodes back, since he's been cooking with a latex glove on it ever since. And yes, it definitely says something about my level of engagement that we are something like two episodes from the end of the season and I have not bothered to learn most of these hamsters' names.

I think his name was Adam but I wouldn't swear to it so I have to agree.  Aside from his greasy hair, I liked him.  He seemed relatively normal.

I don't know what airline Ann works for but, if I ever get on a plane and see her in charge, I'll probably get back off.  She seems like a nice person but how can someone who is such a spaz be responsible for a planeload of people?  I shudder to think how she'd react in an emergency.

I like Laura and I hope she wins.  If she's really an attorney, she can't be as airheaded as she acts.  I'm inclined to think that the ditzy persona is really her sense of humor.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I hate mayo. Mainly because so many people over use it. I used to have a similar reaction but once I started making my own I am no longer disgusted by it.. I still won't have it on sandwiches or order tuna salad at a deli but I no longer gag at the thought of it but I still felt for what's his name.

Quick aside, is mayo difficult to make?

30 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Quick aside, is mayo difficult to make?

No. I use the whisk method but many use a food processor or blender. Egg yolk, some dijon and salt, whisk. Start slowly adding 3/4 to a cup of oil a drop or two at a time. If it starts to break stop adding and whisk it until it starts looking like mayo once you have added 1/8 of a cup you can add the oil faster, takes only three minutes by hand. I finish with lemon juice after its come together and other seasoning depending on how I am using it.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No. I use the whisk method but many use a food processor or blender. Egg yolk, some dijon and salt, whisk. Start slowly adding 3/4 to a cup of oil a drop or two at a time. If it starts to break stop adding and whisk it until it starts looking like mayo once you have added 1/8 of a cup you can add the oil faster, takes only three minutes by hand. I finish with lemon juice after its come together and other seasoning depending on how I am using it.

Thanks. Dijon mustard?

1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

No vinegar?

17 minutes ago, Amarsir said:

No vinegar?

I don't for just basic mayo, the lemon juice gives it the acid. Sometimes I will use a sherry or tarragon vinegar in its place depending on what I am going to use it for. 

About Ann my friend is a highly regarded surgeon,he gets flustered and out of sorts when it comes to cooking because it's not his wheelhouse and he gets fustrated when he doesn't ace sonething, even though I have seen him muck up an Alfredo sauce and loose his cool I would still let him operate on me. I wouldn't judge how any of these people are on their day jobs based on their performance on this show. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Well, what happened was that everyone mugged for the camera,  

That's the show in a nutshell.  Instead of a wrinkled forehead, wince, or sigh - everyone squeals, shrieks and in some way carries on like a 3-year-old.  That's why there's such a negative reaction to Ann carrying on and on over a menacing eggplant.  Every flight commences with an announcement that your crew is there primarily for your safety, but Ann is promoting the popular notion that flight attendants are complete idiots.  If she pointed me to an emergency exit, I'd run in the opposite direction.

I wonder what carrier hired her.  If anyone did.  Air Titanic?

I'd be annoyed if I were a reputable airline and had my flight crew represented by this dingbat.  I think she's a wannabe performer.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Actually, I half expected Rachael to chime in about the mayo as she usually never misses an opportunity to go on about how she didn't grow up with it and detests it.   I knew other Italian kids growing up that didn't eat it either but I did.  My mother's family loved it, just not in Italian food!

4 hours ago, mlp said:

I like Laura and I hope she wins.  If she's really an attorney, she can't be as airheaded as she acts.  I'm inclined to think that the ditzy persona is really her sense of humor.

I like her too and was thinking the same thing, especially after Googling her and finding out that she's actually quite accomplished and has a presence online.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Not only have I not learned their names I forget everything that happened the minute it's over.  When I come to read about it here I find out what I saw. I'm like the goldfish for whom the castle in the corner is a surprise every time.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 7

Does anyone else feel like Mandy is going to win this thing?  I'd prefer anyone else but her, but I get the feeling that's how it's going to go.  

I do think Ann probably acts completely differently on a plane.

Laura seemed really happy to feel like she knew something this episode.  And she's can't be as big a ding dong as she seems to be.

• Love 1
On 2/20/2017 at 1:19 PM, Ms Lark said:

Seriously, I thought for sure Ann was a goner when she didn't devein the shrimp. I caught up On Demand since there are at least 4 shows on at 9pm Sundays I want to watch. They're up against The Walking Dead for the 2nd week, too, so... Well, only two more episodes to go.

So you have to choose between the Walking Dead and the Much Too Alive?  Some of the contestants are way too hyper.  

Add me to the list of people who haven't learned the names of the contestants - unless their names are Tattooed Guy, Bearded Guy, Blond Lady, Dark Haired Slightly Crossed Eyed Lady, Woman Who Has an Accent Sometimes, and Oh Yeah I Forgot About Her (those are the final six - I don't even remember the nicknames of the ones who left earlier)

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

So you have to choose between the Walking Dead and the Much Too Alive?  Some of the contestants are way too hyper.  

Add me to the list of people who haven't learned the names of the contestants - unless their names are Tattooed Guy, Bearded Guy, Blond Lady, Dark Haired Slightly Crossed Eyed Lady, Woman Who Has an Accent Sometimes, and Oh Yeah I Forgot About Her (those are the final six - I don't even remember the nicknames of the ones who left earlier)

OMG I love you. I also never learned the names of the contestants, but you nailed the descriptions. 

• Love 2