Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Raisin's Back

Cranberry

This show has really lost its charm. I'm just not feeling it this season - it should probably have ended last season with Schmidt and Cece's wedding. It never really recovered from the whole Nick and Jess thing - it changed the whole dynamic of the show, and while they tried to fix it by breaking them up again, you can't just put that genie back in the bottle. Now everything just feels awkward, and Reagan/Megan Fox is a very bad fit for this show. It just doesn't feel like she belongs there. Nick's childishness is no longer cute.

The only funny part was Winston smashing the juke box with his elbow trying to do a Fonzie move, and Schmidt saying "Worst Fonzie move ever. That was borderline Chachi."

• Love 6

It never really recovered from the whole Nick and Jess thing - it changed the whole dynamic of the show, and while they tried to fix it by breaking them up again, you can't just put that genie back in the bottle.

I totally agree, and I think that the writers have benefitted from having a phenomenal cast that can sell the stories and dialogue - could anybody besides Lamorne Morris make Winston so charming and hilarious? They give him the DUMBEST plot lines and dialogue, and he routinely knocks it out the park. 

The plotting has been weak, and I think I remember Elizabeth Meriweather saying that they got Nick and Jess together because it felt like a natural development, but they didn't know how to write a relationship and just broke them up. The break up was ridiculous and unearned, and it hangs over the whole show. It feels lazy to me, because the stupid cliche that relationships are naturally boring is rooted in writing cliches that people who finally get together stop developing, stop playing, stop flirting, and stop being compelling. I enjoyed Nick and Jess together, but it did seem clear that the writers wanted to hit reset. It is so awkward now.

• Love 5

Stupid episode. I'm almost done with this show.

Why is Reagan back? She doesn't fit at all and I find it hard to believe some highly successful pretty girl would give up everything for this Nick. Maybe past seasons Nick, but this Nick now is a complete moron.

And I agree this show has never recovered from Nick and Jess breaking up. It was a stupid move and made no sense.

I miss the old seasons.

• Love 2

Yeah, this was not great.  I don't understand the attraction to Nick. He borders on "too stupid to live." And not one, but TWO women want him? I have a bridge to sell you guys. 

It also doesn't help that extremely non-communicative couples are high on the cringe scale for me. Real high. 

It was pretty charmless. Which makes me sad, because even Schmidt wasn't enough to counterbalance the crappy A plot. 

• Love 1

I agree with you guys. I had to force myself to finish this damn episode. This might be the last season for me. Megan Fox is not entertaining and I really don't understand why Nick can't just talk to Reagan, why does Jess have to get involved? Reagan and Nick are in a relationship, communicate! Apparently Nick can't because he's becoming dumber and dumber.

18 hours ago, Allie56 said:

I totally agree, and I think that the writers have benefitted from having a phenomenal cast that can sell the stories and dialogue - could anybody besides Lamorne Morris make Winston so charming and hilarious? They give him the DUMBEST plot lines and dialogue, and he routinely knocks it out the park.

He really does. I would hang out with Winston any day.

• Love 3

I miss when this show was great.   I'm with everyone about the breakup not making sense.  I still don't understand what happened.  I watched that episode when I was in the hospital, 24 hours after I delivered my first (9 and 1/2 lb baby) and I was sooooo out of it.  I hadn't slept for days and I remember watching it and thinking "what's happening?  Did they just break up?  That doesn't make sense.  I really need to sleep".  I just thought it was so out of it that I'd missed something but since rewatching, it still doesn't make sense.

• Love 2
On 1/4/2017 at 1:26 PM, iMonrey said:

The only funny part was Winston smashing the juke box with his elbow trying to do a Fonzie move, and Schmidt saying "Worst Fonzie move ever. That was borderline Chachi."

"But I'm a black dude trying to imitate a Jewish dude who was playing an Italian dude!" (paraphrasing....)

• Love 1

I'm with everyone about the breakup not making sense.  I still don't understand what happened.

They let them break up over a hangover fight. It made no sense. The show had thrown in a few things indications that their relationship wasn't going to be all smooth sailing, but that stupid breakup was just insulting. 

You can't start with two people - after seasons of building a relationship! - say that they are "all in" and they'll do whatever it takes to make a relationship work, and then break them up in such a dumb way. I think it would have been better if they'd have kept a fight and then had them deal with their differences throughout the rest of the show. Anybody who has been in a relationship knows that sometimes you get stressed, or you don't feel good, or the other person annoys the crap out of you and you have a spat. That's okay. That's interesting. That's compelling, especially with characters like this. Putting Jess and Nick together should have been great because they are crazy in different ways. Let them get into shenanigans. I'd love to watch them explore their relationship and how to make themselves work. 

Schmidt and Cece is an example of how good a show can be once you get two people together. Now we've got Winston and Cece, my new favorite pairing, because Cece and Schmidt are solid. We're stuck in Nick/Jess drama and it sucks. I can't get invested in Robby or Reagan for a variety of reasons, but chief among them is that it seems pretty clear that neither of them is the final person.

• Love 4

Sometimes I wonder why I'm still watching this show and then we have Winston making EDM. I laughed so f'in hard when he put the What in there. 

I really am only still watching this show for Winston and to a lesser extent for Schmidt and CeCe. Oh and the few glimpses we get of Ferguson.

• Love 1
On 1/13/2017 at 3:47 PM, festivus said:

Sometimes I wonder why I'm still watching this show and then we have Winston making EDM. I laughed so f'in hard when he put the What in there. 

I really am only still watching this show for Winston and to a lesser extent for Schmidt and CeCe. Oh and the few glimpses we get of Ferguson.

Yup. *sits with festivus* I'm right there with you. Winston is life. 

Also, the Winston-Cece mess arounds. Classic. 

• Love 2