Type keyword(s) to search

Dawson's Creek - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 8/14/2021 at 2:49 PM, Scarlett45 said:

The Andi scenes were not included in the Netflix episodes but I saw them on YouTube. 

I get why they continue to package the broadcast version for syndication purposes, but I don't get why they don't include the director's cut for streaming platforms where they aren't constrained by run times. I think the broadcast version is great on its own, but the added scenes really help flesh out the overall story. I bought the series finale DVD when it was released, and I still always pop it in when I want to watch the finale, even though streaming the broadcast version off Netflix is so much easier. 

• Love 1
On 8/26/2021 at 1:32 PM, absnow54 said:

I get why they continue to package the broadcast version for syndication purposes, but I don't get why they don't include the director's cut for streaming platforms where they aren't constrained by run times. I think the broadcast version is great on its own, but the added scenes really help flesh out the overall story. I bought the series finale DVD when it was released, and I still always pop it in when I want to watch the finale, even though streaming the broadcast version off Netflix is so much easier. 

No idea. I think Andi's scenes should've been in the SERIES finale. Especially since Joey mentioned her in the next to last episode (although she was only a character for all of seasons 2/3 and a few episodes in season 4). I liked Andi as a character and I think they just got rid of her to build up the Joey and Pacey angst. She could've been kept and had a reduced role, although I guess if she was present Jen and Jack wouldnt have been a thing.

31 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I liked And as a character and I think they just got rid of her to build up the Joey and Pacey angst. She could've been kept and had a reduced role, although I guess if she was present Jen and Jack wouldnt have been a thing.

Andie was one of KW's favorite characters, and it's obvious when he left that the show didn't know what to do with her. Her season 3 arc was all over the place, and her best moments were with Jack, which took away from Jack and Jen's bond. I do think the popularity of Pacey and Joey was another factor. Rumor has it that season 3 was supposed to end with Dawson and Joey getting back together and Pacey and Andie reuniting. It's telegraphed all over The Longest Day, and even Show Me Love, when Andie rescues the TRUE LOVE sign.

I think they missed out on an opportunity to bring her back during the college years. Andie went to Harvard, so her absence in the Boston scene was kind of weird. It would have been a good time to revisit Pacey and Andie, since they spent the last two seasons desperately trying to come up with a story for him too. I could see Andie dropping out of school and Pacey playing her academic Yoda this time around. I also think Dawson and Andie had potential.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I think they missed out on an opportunity to bring her back during the college years. Andie went to Harvard, so her absence in the Boston scene was kind of weird. It would have been a good time to revisit Pacey and Andie, since they spent the last two seasons desperately trying to come up with a story for him too. I could see Andie dropping out of school and Pacey playing her academic Yoda this time around. I also think Dawson and Andie had potential.

Yes. They had her defer Harvard for a year, and then the next mention of her was in the Season 6 Christmas episodes where Jen states that Jack was in Europe for the holidays with Andi & his Dad. I would've preferred more of Andi and less of Audrey. Not that I minded Audrey (I liked her), but I thought Andi was more interesting. 

It is true that her presence would've hindered the Jack/Jen bond which was one of the best parts of the show.

I don't mind the Jan Arden theme, but I'm also glad this next generation of viewers can experience the swell of "doo da doo da doo doo" during the opening scenes. What I really want is for the original music that played during the episodes. I had an old run out VHS of my favorite season 3 episodes that I watched a million times before the DVD was released, and I still remember what songs should be playing when I watch the show on Netflix. The original music was so much better.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Aryanna said:

The music now sounds like royalty free music. Which it probably is.

Pretty much. There was big drama in the early-00's when a lot of television shows were starting to release seasons on DVD. Sony was willing to pay for the music rights for the first two seasons of the show, but by the third, they started subbing out music because it was so much cheaper. That's also when the theme song got swapped out. My season 1 and season 2 DVDs of Dawson's Creek have the Paula Cole theme. I notice they reuse the same songs a lot too in the streaming version. 

• Love 1

Here is my take.

KW initially envisioned it as Dawson's arc of being the good guy who could play and be an ass when called for and Pacey's arc as being that of an ass who could play and be the good guy when called for. The girl would ultimately choose the Dawson type.

So what happened?

Katie and Josh's connection & chemistry happened (more on that later if interested).

So they switched the pairing around and shuffled other stories and characters to fit the new direction. Hence the show became what it was.

Katie and Joshua?

Anyone with any decent life experience can see just how rare it is and what it looks like when two people just click with each other.

It was just too much too soon for them to accept what they had and what it could become.The denial impacted their future years.

It happens. Unfortunately no "happy ending" for these two in their personal lives. But hopefully they get by OK now.

Edited by tvduser93
Spell checker
  • Useful 1
On 10/9/2021 at 3:23 PM, tvduser93 said:

It happens. Unfortunately no "happy ending" for these two in their personal lives. But hopefully they get by OK now.

Katie divorced Tom Cruise and seems to be enjoying herself, and life as a single Mom. Joshua married Jodie Turner-Smith (she is strikingly beautiful by the way), they had a baby and appear quite happy together. 

I know Katie and Joshua dated back in the day but I never got a “great love” vibe, more like young people who met a work, dated and it didn’t work out. But you may know far more about it than I do. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, absnow54 said:

Joshua Jackson and Jodi Turner Smith are in a JCrew ad for the holiday collection, and they brought back the season 1 Dawson’s Creek photo shoot. Based off the video, I’m pretty sure Jodi regularly binges the show on Netflix. https://www.jcrew.com/r/feature/womens/creative-spirits-with-joshua-jackson-and-jodie-turner-smith?intcmp=newHP_columntouts_1_women_creative&om_i=newHP_p2

I saw the ad! I want to buy something now. 

• Love 1
On 11/5/2021 at 10:23 PM, absnow54 said:

Joshua Jackson and Jodi Turner Smith are in a JCrew ad for the holiday collection, and they brought back the season 1 Dawson’s Creek photo shoot. Based off the video, I’m pretty sure Jodi regularly binges the show on Netflix. https://www.jcrew.com/r/feature/womens/creative-spirits-with-joshua-jackson-and-jodie-turner-smith?intcmp=newHP_columntouts_1_women_creative&om_i=newHP_p2

I love this sooooooo much. And the video was cute/funny.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, tvduser93 said:

Here is my take.

KW initially envisioned it as Dawson's arc of being the good guy who could play and be an ass when called for and Pacey's arc as being that of an ass who could play and be the good guy when called for. The girl would ultimately choose the Dawson type.

So what happened?

Katie and Josh's connection & chemistry happened (more on that later if interested).

So they switched the pairing around and shuffled other stories and characters to fit the new direction. Hence the show became what it was.

Katie and Joshua?

Anyone with any decent life experience can see just how rare it is and what it looks like when two people just click with each other.

It was just too much too soon for them to accept what they had and what it could become.The denial impacted their future years.

I think the problem is that Kevin Williamson was trying to tell the story of him and his girl next door. Problem was, Kevin Williamson is gay, so even if he went out with the girl next door, it wouldn't be the story of a closeted movie buff coming to terms with his sexuality  that wouldn't fly back then. He had to tell that part of the story through supporting character Jack McPhee. Here's the thing: I totally think that James Van Der Beek could have pulled off that type of role.

The good thing about Don Mancini waiting so long to get his tv show (Chucky), despite have his breakthrough before Kevin Williamson, is that he can have the queer character as the lead instead of supporting player. 

On 5/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, Scarlett45 said:

can’t keep on kissing you.”- Pacey

He spoke the truth-Like Joey girl!!!!

Either you want him or you don’t!

I mean we know she does-

But I have no patience.

I can say that 35 yrs old me thinks the writing and build up was well done, but maybe because I’m not attracted to Pacey at all I am not moved. The wall purchasing didn’t move me. 

I didn't love Pacey's big gestures for Joey. I really enjoyed their build up in the sense that you saw their friendship growing and their appreciation for each other through the little things, which eventually led to romantic feelings. I didn't enjoy when Pacey was outwardly in love with Joey and he constantly did things for her and complained that she didn't feel the same way. That was when I was getting a little annoyed. The whole thing seemed so one-sided and Joey never put effort into him and in my opinion, he put TOO much into her. It almost seemed like he forced her into feeling the same way ( I know she did have feelings for him, but that's the way the writing came off.)

• Love 1
On 2/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, Jax7917 said:

I didn't love Pacey's big gestures for Joey. I really enjoyed their build up in the sense that you saw their friendship growing and their appreciation for each other through the little things, which eventually led to romantic feelings. I didn't enjoy when Pacey was outwardly in love with Joey and he constantly did things for her and complained that she didn't feel the same way. That was when I was getting a little annoyed. The whole thing seemed so one-sided and Joey never put effort into him and in my opinion, he put TOO much into her. It almost seemed like he forced her into feeling the same way ( I know she did have feelings for him, but that's the way the writing came off.)

I feel like the problem was that Joey didn't know what she wanted. She pined for Dawson in season 1 and then got him and was like meh. And she was wishy washy with Pacey. I think it may have been because most of th writers were men and they didn't know how to write Joey. They just saw it from the male pov that girls are flakey.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I feel like the problem was that Joey didn't know what she wanted. She pined for Dawson in season 1 and then got him and was like meh. And she was wishy washy with Pacey. I think it may have been because most of th writers were men and they didn't know how to write Joey. They just saw it from the male pov that girls are flakey.

I agree. But I also think the one consistent thing the show had was that Joey ran from everything and everyone. She never seemed satisfied with who she was with in the moment and always ran from them and situations. Even when her and Pacey were on the brink of getting back together in season 6, she saw how well it was going and ran. This was her main trait.

Edited by Jax7917
  • Love 1

I have never seen this show, and have just started watching it.  I have seen a few episodes and am enjoying it.  I always like to have a show to watch on streaming for nights there isn't much on TV.  So far I have mainly rewatched some older series I already had seen before.  It is kind of fun taking on something new.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/30/2022 at 8:39 AM, alexa said:

I have never seen this show, and have just started watching it.  I have seen a few episodes and am enjoying it.  I always like to have a show to watch on streaming for nights there isn't much on TV.  So far I have mainly rewatched some older series I already had seen before.  It is kind of fun taking on something new.  

It's a fun show. I think seasons 1-4 are the best. I've seen seasons 5 & 6 but I don't tend to watch them when I go back through for a rewatch. I pretend it ends at season 4. 5 & 6 aren't terrible,  they just don't feel the same.

If you're ever looking for a somewhat similar show to watch, The Carrie Diaries is a fun watch. It only lasted 2 seasons (26 episodes, 45 minutes each) but it doesn’t end on a cliffhanger or anything. I was never a big SaTC fan (saw some episodes) but you don't really need to know that show to enjoy The Carrie Diaries since it's a prequel. 

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 1
On 9/30/2021 at 5:38 AM, absnow54 said:

I don't mind the Jan Arden theme, but I'm also glad this next generation of viewers can experience the swell of "doo da doo da doo doo" during the opening scenes. What I really want is for the original music that played during the episodes. I had an old run out VHS of my favorite season 3 episodes that I watched a million times before the DVD was released, and I still remember what songs should be playing when I watch the show on Netflix. The original music was so much better.

I'm happy they were able to keep Edwin McCain's "Go Be Young" at the end of 3x16 Neverland. Love that scene and the song with it. 

I don't remember a lot of the songs that played during the television run, but in my rewatch I find myself wondering what was playing when. Damn royalties! lol

• Love 1
On 3/30/2022 at 8:39 AM, alexa said:

Glad to have you! This show defined my adolescence and my rewatch last year was so fun. If you’re so inclined go back and read the entire thread, let us know what you think of past posts!

• Love 1
On 3/1/2021 at 1:01 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

t talk by the creek, but wished they got there sooner. There was a movie called "The Pact" that centered around the death of a teenage girl and her boyfriend claiming it was suicide. One of the reason she felt suicidal is because she started feeling the sexual relationship between her and said boyfriend was incestuously because they had grown up together. 

By Jodi Picolut?? I read that one and all her stuff was just so sad.