Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Ka Luhi (The Burden)

• Start Topic

Five-0 investigates the 10-year-old cold case of a missing teen when a boy suffering with PTSD undergoes hypnosis and realizes he may have witnessed her murder. Also, Danny's sister, Bridget (guest star Missy Peregrym), visits Oahu for a business conference, and he suspects that she may be getting too close to a co-worker.

Original Airdate: December 9, 2016

SOURCE: http://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=46485

I care less than not at all about Danny's sister.

Who didn't know from the get-go that the ex-boyfriend was not guilty?  I thought at first that Dad was having an affair with the girl.  Did they say why they just assumed that he was the guilty driver or was it just because it was his car?  It isn't that unusual for both spouses to drive any/all cars that they own.

1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

I care less than not at all about Danny's sister.

Who didn't know from the get-go that the ex-boyfriend was not guilty?  I thought at first that Dad was having an affair with the girl.  Did they say why they just assumed that he was the guilty driver or was it just because it was his car?  It isn't that unusual for both spouses to drive any/all cars that they own.

Speaking for myself, I like that Lenkov wants to sometimes incorporate family members we don't normally see. That was 1 of the things they didn't do much of in the original which he felt could be improved upon (I remember we saw Steve's sister, the original--& less flaky--Mary Ann McGarrett [I think her plot had something to do with the death of her infant son]; we also saw Danny's elderly Aunt Clara, who was played by James MacArthur's real-life mother, legendary actress Helen Hayes [original Danny's Aunt Clara became Danny's mother Clara, played by Melanie Griffith, in this version]--I think her plot had her witnessing a murder while she was visiting Danny in Hawaii & Five-0 getting involved with the case/protecting her).

Look at it this way: We only have 1 more Williams sibling we haven't met yet. That's Danny's sister, Stella, who was mentioned in the S6 premiere & presumably is the mother of Danny's nephew Eric, who has apparently taken Fong's place in the crime lab.

It was apparently just because it was his car--he filed an insurance claim on it after the accident where the girl died, anyway; so presumably it was registered in his name, etc. Although, as you pointed out, it's not that unusual for both spouses (or others in the same family, such as teenaged drivers) to drive any/all of the family's vehicles.

• Love 2

The teenage boy needed help from the therapist just to remember the body as the source of his blackouts and nightmares, so Steve thought he could just badger the boy into remembering the grisly details?

Oh, well, the boyfriend confessed, case closed, never mind that the facts don't add up.  We have a suspect, look no further. All we have to do is hound him until he confesses, guilty or not. Danny sure doesn't like to get involved in cases.

I like the family members. This is the only show that doesn't turn family members and their stories into a soap opera, even when there's terminal illness. The family backgrounds really help to understand the characters.

Kono is right. With Chin's stalking obsession, I'd want to keep him away from my kid, too, especially with all she's going through and adjusting to right now.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

It was apparently just because it was his car--he filed an insurance claim on it after the accident where the girl died, anyway; so presumably it was registered in his name, etc. Although, as you pointed out, it's not that unusual for both spouses (or others in the same family, such as teenaged drivers) to drive any/all of the family's vehicles.

That plus when you think "hauled a body and dug a grave" the mind tends to go toward a man, rather than a woman. Sexist perhaps, but I think it factored in.

I don't think we were ever supposed to think the boyfriend did it (at least not after the initial interview). He played it pretty innocent, and Steve's reaction seemed to show he believed him. (though the conversation with Danny about gut feelings being wrong was a slight misdirection). Actually, the way the cop who'd been on the case for 10 years was played, I briefly thought he'd pulled a 5-0 and beaten the boyfriend into confession.

I liked having Danny's sister in the show. I thought they managed to show a real slice of life (the loneliness of her day to day life and attraction to a man at work) without beating it to death.

I also like that Kono gave Chin that honest assessment of his behavior.

Hey, we managed a whole episode without anyone being tortured or otherwise stripped of their rights. How refreshing.

• Love 6

Not a bad episode. The case was actually kind of interesting, and not 100% obvious (other then the boyfriend being innocent). I suspected the kid, myself, thinking he may have stolen the car to "drive" away (yes, at age 8. Stranger things have happened.) as his parents fought, and he accidentally ran over the girl. I figured maybe one of his parents (or both) had buried the girl to protect their child. The actual resolution was more plausible, lol. Oh, and hypnosis made things interesting on a visual level. Nice idea.

I liked Danny's sister, though their fight was strange. Instead of calling him out on sleeping with his ex-wife while she was still married (not to mention fathering a child), she said "you walked out on your kids"? When he moved across the world to be with Grace? And Danny refuses to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, he doesn't know what she's going through, because he may know the loneliness but he doesn't know the pain and effort of trying to keep an entire home afloat by yourself? At least he did (sort of) acknowledge that in the end. Mind you, I actually liked the fight as an idea, and I liked Danny's insight (indeed, cheating is something you can't take back), but the writers could have landed a few emotional punches that were better-placed.

Other than that, I agree with the above comments, it was nice to see more of Danny's family without much crazy drama. It offered some perspective, and I'm glad Danny was the one to basically apologize in the end (his sister was in a bad place, emotionally, and he didn't do much to help until that moment). The last scene was sweet. Scott Caan really comes alive in those random little scenes, when there's no case and Danny is just interacting with someone on a human level.

Also, AOL did some nice work with the humor. His face when that guy was "spotting" Danny's sister was hilarious, and then when Danny came in his office, all "my sister is banging that dude and I got proof", Steve was like "yep, yep, I totally called it". Good stuff.

And I, too, liked Kono and Chin's talk. It needed to be said.

Again, this season remains solid. And I remain pleasantly surprised by it.

• Love 1

Hey, we managed a whole episode without anyone being tortured or otherwise stripped of their rights. How refreshing

And we met a family member who was not terminally ill, a secret spy, being framed for a crime, or getting kidnapped.  That was a change.

But, the previews show that Sara will be kidnapped next week.  So...back to normal.  Is there anyone on this show that has not been abducted or held hostage at least once?

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Does Five-0 not have to show a badge when they go talk to a suspect?

I must have missed that, in general they always tell that they are 5-0 with the threat that you have hit the big time and things like the right to an attorney depends upon how Hawaii's Governor feels about getting involved and letting you have it.

I'm surprised how much I liked Missy Peregrym as Danny's sister (I wasn't always that fond of her in 'Rookie Blue, admittedly that was more the writing's fault). They had a great brother-sister vibe going on. I also enjoyed the case not involving serial killers, terrorists, atomic bombs or pandemics but being just a simple cold case with some interesting red herrings. Pretty old school but sometimes that's to be preferred to too much pyrotechnics that also send plot logic to kingdom come.

I kinda agreed with Kono but knowing this show I'm not sure that was the last word on the situation. I expect some 'Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me'-twist that will justify Chin's paranoia/gut feeling.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

And we met a family member who was not terminally ill, a secret spy, being framed for a crime, or getting kidnapped.  That was a change.

But, the previews show that Sara will be kidnapped next week.  So...back to normal.  Is there anyone on this show that has not been abducted or held hostage at least once?

I don't think Grover or Jerry have been; neither has Danny's son, Charlie... Yet (but his sister, Grace, has). But "the Core 4" (Steve, Danny, Chin, Kono) all have been, most/all of them more than once.

And Max, at least technically, has been. He was in the bank where his now wife, Sabrina (recurring character played by Bruce Willis & Demi Moore's eldest daughter, Rumer Willis), works/worked as a teller when it got robbed at the time he was in there to do some business & confess his feelings to Sabrina (after which she was shot & critically injured in the robbery). He was technically a hostage until the robbers escaped/were otherwise dealt with.

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

Does Five-0 not have to show a badge when they go talk to a suspect?

Most of the time, they're wearing their badges attached to the front/waistband of their pants (I've seen numerous pics/screen grabs from eps where you can see the badges attached to their pants, anyway). So it shouldn't be necessary to "pull" their badges.

And they do ID themselves as being from Five-0 which, at least going by how long the show's been on, pretty much most locals should've heard of by now since at least some of their cases should've made the local media. And even non-locals they might have to question could've heard of them if any of their cases had reason to garner national/international publicity.

11 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Not a bad episode. The case was actually kind of interesting, and not 100% obvious (other then the boyfriend being innocent). I suspected the kid, myself, thinking he may have stolen the car to "drive" away (yes, at age 8. Stranger things have happened.) as his parents fought, and he accidentally ran over the girl. I figured maybe one of his parents (or both) had buried the girl to protect their child. The actual resolution was more plausible, lol. Oh, and hypnosis made things interesting on a visual level. Nice idea.

I liked Danny's sister, though their fight was strange. Instead of calling him out on sleeping with his ex-wife while she was still married (not to mention fathering a child), she said "you walked out on your kids"? When he moved across the world to be with Grace? And Danny refuses to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, he doesn't know what she's going through, because he may know the loneliness but he doesn't know the pain and effort of trying to keep an entire home afloat by yourself? At least he did (sort of) acknowledge that in the end. Mind you, I actually liked the fight as an idea, and I liked Danny's insight (indeed, cheating is something you can't take back), but the writers could have landed a few emotional punches that were better-placed.

Other than that, I agree with the above comments, it was nice to see more of Danny's family without much crazy drama. It offered some perspective, and I'm glad Danny was the one to basically apologize in the end (his sister was in a bad place, emotionally, and he didn't do much to help until that moment). The last scene was sweet. Scott Caan really comes alive in those random little scenes, when there's no case and Danny is just interacting with someone on a human level.

Also, AOL did some nice work with the humor. His face when that guy was "spotting" Danny's sister was hilarious, and then when Danny came in his office, all "my sister is banging that dude and I got proof", Steve was like "yep, yep, I totally called it". Good stuff.

And I, too, liked Kono and Chin's talk. It needed to be said.

Again, this season remains solid. And I remain pleasantly surprised by it.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment about Danny's affair with Rachel, way back at the end of S1, which resulted in Charlie's birth, but it sounds like you think Rachel's not married to Stan now (which would be plausible, given that & also that I remember both Rachel & Stan mentioning to Danny there were problems with their marriage) but I've just gotta mention that, so far, we've never been told either way, if they're still married or divorced, since Stan last showed up when Gracie was kidnapped in S2 & Rachel last showed up at the end of S5 (though Rachel & Stan at least seemed to still be married as of when Stan found out, through his test to be a marrow donor for Charlie, that he couldn't possibly be Charlie's father after all).

For some reason, it didn't "click" last night when Bridget said Danny walked out on his kids (plural), & it should've. It only "clicked" when you mentioned it in your post. And, as much as I liked the ep, & hope these writers write more for the show (especially together), they got that wrong, in my opinion. Danny never walked out on Gracie, as we know & as you said. He moved heaven & earth, & all the way to Hawaii from New Jersey, to maintain his ties to, & visitation with, Gracie after he & Rachel divorced & she married Stan & moved to Hawaii.

And if Danny "walked out" on Charlie, that wasn't his fault. Rachel told him he was the father, in no uncertain terms (from my interpretation of the scene), when she announced her pregnancy in the S1 finale while Rachel & Danny were having an affair & she was married to Stan. Then, after he didn't show up at the airport to fly back to New Jersey & live happily ever after with Rachel, Gracie, & the new baby, Danny said she told him she was wrong in S2--she was farther along than she thought & the baby was actually Stan's. And that's where things remained until Charlie got sick in S5, needed a bone marrow transplant from a close relative, & the only person who ended up being a donor match was Danny, his real, biological, father. So, the 3 years of Charlie's life when it might've been said Danny "walked out" on Charlie weren't his fault, they were Rachel's because she chose to lie about who his father was.

• Love 2

I think one could make the argument that not fighting extradition to Columbia was walking out on his kid/s.

Maybe I would have liked the sister storyline if Danny wasn't my least favorite character on the show.

Speaking of family - do we know if Steve's grandfather came to Hawaii courtesy of the U.S. Navy or did he live there previous to military service?  What about his grandmother?  And Doris - did she grow up there?

It seems odd that we have seen more family members of the guy that grew up in New Jersey than we have of the ones that are actually Hawaiian. (Either by birth or ethnicity)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your comment about Danny's affair with Rachel, way back at the end of S1, which resulted in Charlie's birth, but it sounds like you think Rachel's not married to Stan now (which would be plausible, given that & also that I remember both Rachel & Stan mentioning to Danny there were problems with their marriage) but I've just gotta mention that, so far, we've never been told either way, if they're still married or divorced, since Stan last showed up when Gracie was kidnapped in S2 & Rachel last showed up at the end of S5 (though Rachel & Stan at least seemed to still be married as of when Stan found out, through his test to be a marrow donor for Charlie, that he couldn't possibly be Charlie's father after all).

For some reason, it didn't "click" last night when Bridget said Danny walked out on his kids (plural), & it should've. It only "clicked" when you mentioned it in your post. And, as much as I liked the ep, & hope these writers write more for the show (especially together), they got that wrong, in my opinion. Danny never walked out on Gracie, as we know & as you said. He moved heaven & earth, & all the way to Hawaii from New Jersey, to maintain his ties to, & visitation with, Gracie after he & Rachel divorced & she married Stan & moved to Hawaii.

And if Danny "walked out" on Charlie, that wasn't his fault. Rachel told him he was the father, in no uncertain terms (from my interpretation of the scene), when she announced her pregnancy in the S1 finale while Rachel & Danny were having an affair & she was married to Stan. Then, after he didn't show up at the airport to fly back to New Jersey & live happily ever after with Rachel, Gracie, & the new baby, Danny said she told him she was wrong in S2--she was farther along than she thought & the baby was actually Stan's. And that's where things remained until Charlie got sick in S5, needed a bone marrow transplant from a close relative, & the only person who ended up being a donor match was Danny, his real, biological, father. So, the 3 years of Charlie's life when it might've been said Danny "walked out" on Charlie weren't his fault, they were Rachel's because she chose to lie about who his father was.

Wow, yeah, I totally assumed Stan and Rachel are divorced now, thanks for letting me know (that we don't know, lol).

But yeah, for someone like Danny, who had one of his kids move to Hawaii, of all places (so far away), and another one of his kids essentially kept from him for years, his sister's line was especially harsh and inaccurate. I think the writers were trying to come up with a "strong" insult to fuel the fight, but they picked the wrong one.

5 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I think one could make the argument that not fighting extradition to Columbia was walking out on his kid/s.

Maybe I would have liked the sister storyline if Danny wasn't my least favorite character on the show.

Speaking of family - do we know if Steve's grandfather came to Hawaii courtesy of the U.S. Navy or did he live there previous to military service?  What about his grandmother?  And Doris - did she grow up there?

It seems odd that we have seen more family members of the guy that grew up in New Jersey than we have of the ones that are actually Hawaiian. (Either by birth or ethnicity)

I don't remember the extradition to Colombia storyline (I haven't watched this show regularly in about 4 years) but wikipedia says Danny only agreed to it because a US Marshal threatened his family. I wouldn't call that "walking out on your kids", not when someone is threatening to, like, kill your kids.

I think the reason we usually see Danny's family is because Scott Caan seems to be on his own filming schedule a lot, and it's easier to separate him from the "case" storylines for alone time with his dozens of relatives. Same reason why Kono is often off with Adam. Caan and Grace Park have negotiated for more time off, maybe? They want to fly back home (wherever that is) more often, whereas the others live in Hawaii? Just guessing. We have seen the Chin/Kono family (I do remember that, with that whole corruption storyline early in the show, when I last watched. Wasn't Chin covering for a family member, or something? My recollection is vague.) and Steve, too, obviously (I definitely remember Carol Burnett).

2 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

We have seen the Chin/Kono family (I do remember that, with that whole corruption storyline early in the show, when I last watched. Wasn't Chin covering for a family member, or something? My recollection is vague.) and Steve, too, obviously (I definitely remember Carol Burnett).

Yes, Chin was covering either for his father or uncle (I don't recall which), but we certainly met a lot of their family (though few as individuals) during that storyline, and Kono's parents during the marriage storyline (possibly multiple episodes) and as far as I know, all of Steve's relatives (still living, and one brought back from the presumed dead). And, if I recall correctly, Jerry is native and we've met his mother and sister (father is dead IIRC).

Danny has a big family, but one of the primary benefits of showing his family is that they don't live in Hawaii (except the nephew), so they're good for an episode or two and then we can forget about them.

On 12/11/2016 at 0:55 AM, Mittengirl said:

I agree, Danny is by far my least favourite character so I couldn't care less about his family.  Except I don't mind seeing Melanie Griffith, because she seems to drive Danny crazy.  I know we saw some of Kono and Chin's extended family, but I'd like to see more of the cousins on a more extended basis.  Some of the explanation on why we see so much of Danny's family appears to be "well, he has a large family".  But so do Kono and Chin, I think.  Do neither of them have siblings?  Why did they choose to write Steve as having such a small family?  One dead father, one absent mother, one dead aunt, one sister on the mainland.  That's it?  Just because we haven't been heretofore been introduced to any aunts and uncles doesn't have to mean that there aren't any others.  His dad only had one sister and his mom was an only child?  They could just create more relatives if they needed to.

I truly couldn't have cared less about Danny's sister.  She was a pointless character, and as far as character development or advancement of any ongoing storyline, she added none.  The whole "I'm a lonely housewife who is effectively a single mom".... boo hoo hoo.  They could have just as easily given the "I'm lonely" storyline to Kono during the time Adam was in prison.  It's just weird to me that they delved so much into the personal life of a character that in the grand scheme is meaningless to the show.

I think Eric the nephew is OK in small doses.  I found him hilarious when he went undercover as a college student.  I thought it was odd that his aunt was in Hawaii all the way over from Jersey, and they didn't even show him meeting her and Danny for lunch.  If one of my relatives that I never saw was in town from far away, I'd at least make a point to insist on seeing them, no matter how busy I or they might be.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2016 at 6:16 PM, MissLucas said:

I kinda agreed with Kono but knowing this show I'm not sure that was the last word on the situation. I expect some 'Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me'-twist that will justify Chin's paranoia/gut feeling.

I'm sure that in spite of Chin being an absolute ass, and deserving being shut out, in the end, he'll be proven right, because 5-0 are never wrong.

On 12/9/2016 at 10:22 PM, Mittengirl said:

agreed on all counts. I absolutely assumed the dad. It was nice to be surprised. and THEN to have her be double evil with the rock!

I loved D and S re-enacting the hand on the back. hilarious.