Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Episode 5

Voiello catches Pius in a compromising situation but hesitates to use the evidence against the Young Pope. More is revealed about Lenny's troubled past as he and Dussolier reconnect while running away from Sister Mary again. Gutierrez is assigned to an uncomfortable appointment in America. Upon the return of a famous papal headdress to the Vatican, Pius is finally prepared to deliver his opaque and rigid address to the Cardinals.

Airing in the US on Sunday, January 29, 2017.

During the scene in which Esther put Lenny's hand on her breast, he seemed to be studying her face intensely.   He was not at al interested in copping a feel.  It seemed like a continuation of his earlier discussions about whether people feel god's existence in their lives.  Esther seemed to really feel something when praying.

He did enjoy Spencer and Voiello kissing his slippers.  I laughed when Lenny used his other foot to push Voiello's head down.  He really is a bastard when he wants to be. 

This show gets better and better. 

• Love 3

Over 2 months 40 constructors and 25 painters built a 540 square replica if the Sistine Chapel according to EW.

Also reproduced 30 works of art.

HBO didn't scrimp on the visuals of this project.

Rome's botanical gardens subbed for the grounds at Vatican City.

The costuming is so good, too.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 7

I'm completely confounded by this show. I don't believe I've watched a more beautifully shot series with a storyline that bores me to tears. This is a series that pretends to understand Americans but doesn't. I don't like this character in all his snotty, New York accented "knock knock".  And I've never been a real fan of Diane Keaton. I give her props for putting on an outfit that had the potential to spontaneously combust in her presence.

Yet, I watch like a member of a gapers-block, staring at a 10 car pile up on the Eisenhower expressway.

• Love 4

Having always been found of Jude Law's acting and, yeah, his looks, I admit to watching The Young Pope to stare at the many lingering shots of his face.  Then, surprise!  I now find myself loving the mystery, the not knowing of what the hell is going on.  Being a non-believer, I am also fascinated with this pope's views on how to worship his god.  I know it's dogmatic fanaticism, but there seems, at least to me, to be another level to it's intensity.  Intensity with a wink-wink.  I want the mystery to continue.  I'm afraid if everything gets spelled out, it will destroy my reverence for the story behind the beauty.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

I don't believe I've watched a more beautifully shot series with a storyline that bores me to tears.

I'm not bored per se, but it's definitely the visuals that keep me watching the show.  The writing isn't ground-breaking - to me, it's your basic political and power jockeying set in the Vatican.  But then, I'm not Catholic, so I just assume there are nuances that fly right over my head. I had a similar experience with The Night Manager - totally different series, but I didn't care as much about the plot as the visual feast. I do think that, in contrast to Hiddleston, Law is a lot more convincing as an inscrutable man. 

I can see the parallels between Lenny and our newly elected President, though Lenny is a lot more charismatic. Oh, and Lenny actually seems to like women which, for me, is the most interesting aspect of his character thus far.  I expected someone as petty, vindictive, and haughty as he can be to be openly disdainful of women, yet he doesn't seem to be.

• Love 2

I got motion sickness and had to step away after watching Lenny's eye and then Esther's eyes moving back and forth so quickly during that little scene (but it is flu season, so I could be getting sick). I felt like the acting was super obvious even more in this episode, like I was watching a (VERY advanced) middle school play; I don't believe that Jude Law and the guy playing his bff have ever met before.

• Love 2
On January 30, 2017 at 7:59 AM, WaltersHair said:

I don't like this character in all his snotty, New York accented "knock knock". 

I've caught the accent slipping a few times.  Just a syllable here and there definitely originating on the right side of the pond.

I keep watching but I keep waiting for a plot.  For all the A-list actors and the sumptuous locations, there's just no there, there.  

• Love 4
On 1/29/2017 at 11:55 PM, Muffyn said:

He did enjoy Spencer and Voiello kissing his slippers.  I laughed when Lenny used his other foot to push Voiello's head down.  He really is a bastard when he wants to be. 

He did enjoy the first two, but interestingly, I didn't anything snarky in it. Voiello, otoh, that was funny. 'Here, need help?'

I actually like Voiello, a lot, as greasy as he is. Love his accent, and I like how he skates between his loyalty and duty to serve the pope in spite of his serious doubts.

• Love 5

Although this show frustrates and puzzles me from time to time, the "I'm Sexy And I Know It" montage with Lenny dressing for the address in the Sistine Chapel made everything worth it.  It just fit the character so beautifully, and was fucking hilarious to boot.

• Love 5

Now or some time in the future?

I have been wondering this myself. The Italian pop song that the Greenland PM brought was actually from 2004? 2005? So part of me wonders if it is actually set in the past, as in what if Lenny had succeeded John Paul II, who resembles the old Pope in the credits. I keep looking for anachronisms to prove me wrong, e.g. smartphones.  Argh! I just remembered the high-class prostitute in the hotel bar who takes Lenny and his foster brother's photo on her phone. So much for that. 

(But why would they give him an old CD?)

4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

The Italian pop song that the Greenland PM brought was actually from 2004? 2005? So part of me wonders if it is actually set in the past, as in what if Lenny had succeeded John Paul II, who resembles the old Pope in the credits. I keep looking for anachronisms to prove me wrong, e.g. smartphones.

In an early episode you see Voiello watching a soccer match on a laptop, I think, and the song playing in the background is Opus "Live is Life," from 1984 or 5ish.

Edited by FemmyV
spelling

I thought that soccer game was an old one that Voiello was watching because he loves whichever team was playing. Could be wrong but the soccer player was Maradona, who was one of the best in the world in the 80's. One of Maradona's famous goals was called the Hand of God; I think the ball went into the net because it rebounded off of Maradona's hand. I'm foggy on the details.

• Love 1
On 1/30/2017 at 8:42 AM, retired watcher said:

I am so confused by this show but it has me hooked. When is this supposed to be taking place? Now or some time in the future?

Napoli is the soccer team they keep showing, and the shots of the players are who currently are on the team and have been for about 3-5 years iirc. Except for Higuaín, who left the team after the 2015/2016 season. 

Vioello was watching Maradona on you tube, who did play for Napoli in the 80s, but he probably was just watching old highlights.

The time then seems to be now ish for me. I don't know who Lenny's predecessor was. I don't know when the show was made. 

Playing a song from 2005 really isn't relevant because people play songs they like from whenever. 

Lenny just seems nuts to me because I just don't find the church to be that influential to modern society. Which I suppose could be the point; everyone taking him SO seriously, while the world moves on.