Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Political Passings

(For politicians and other notables in the political sphere that may not necessarily fall under the "celebrity" moniker.)

Janet Reno, former U.S. attorney general, age 78, passed away early Monday morning, from Parkinson's complications. (Washington Post Obituary)

SNL fans may remember Will Ferrell's impersonation of Reno in the "Janet Reno's Dance Party" sketches.

(skip to 4:40)

• Love 4

I am sorry to hear about Janet Reno. I appreciated her sense of humor in appearing with Will Ferrell (as her) in one of those dance party skits back in the day - it's actually the one in the above video.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, saoirse said:

I'm so sad about Gwen Ifill. My mom and I love her, and when I got the text from Mom today that she had died, I teared up.

I watched PBS News Hour last night and they spent a majority of the show honoring the late Ms. Ifill. She will be missed.

• Love 2

Extraordinary doesn't even begin to describe Gwen Ifill. I've been a fan of hers for over 20 years. That she died when journalism, American politics and the world needs her more than ever is heartbreaking, to say the least. 

Luke Russert, son of Gwen's mentor , the late, great Tim Russert, said it best on Twitter:

I believe that right now, Gwen Ifill and my father are grilling James Madison on the need for the Electoral College in '16. Love ya Gwen.

RIP, Ms. Ifill. 

• Love 3

Miami's favorite Communist hobgoblin is dead ... Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro dies at 90

From the Miami Herald:

Now, after surviving countless assassination attempts, communism’s bankruptcy, economic collapse, his failed revolution, Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz has passed into history.

This is a moment to celebrate the prospect of a future without Fidel Castro. He should be remembered as the cynical dictator who nearly destroyed Cuba for the gratification of his own ego. Building a free, open and prosperous democracy would be the Cuban people’s greatest, most satisfying payback.

The totalitarian dictator is dead. May his police state and inhumanity be buried along with him.

Does Fidel Castro’s death change anything in Cuba? Not right away. His eighty-five-year-old brother Raúl appears to be firmly in charge. But the party will go on in Miami and D.C.

You know Hair Gropenführer will take credit for Fidel's death ... Don't stroke out when you hear "Hail To The Hairpiece!"

• Love 1

Respecting the new Twitter embeds rule, I'm just going to quote one of the best responses today:

"Any politician who tells the truth by saying, '[Castro] was a piece of shit & I'm glad he's dead,' would have my vote forever."

Amen.

Edited by rallymantis
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, rallymantis said:

Respecting the new Twitter embeds rule, I'm just going to quote one of the best responses today:

"Any politician who tells the truth by saying, '[Castro] was a piece of shit & I'm glad he's dead,' would have my vote forever."

Amen.

From @Stonekettle's Twitter:

"Castro was a horrible dictator who murdered people!"

Same people: Vladimir Putin is a strong leader! I wish we had a leader like him.

• Love 4

Iconic doesn't even begin to describe John Glenn. He was both extraordinary and ordinary in equal measure. He was a war hero, a pilot, an astronaut, a Senator and most importantly, a husband for 73 years, a father and a grandfather. Glenn broke barriers on several levels. When Glenn revealed that he was going back into space in his late 70s, I thought he was both brave and crazy. That Glenn succeeded is another testament to his greatness. 

Glenn's accomplishments were exceeded by his character. Based on what I've read and heard about him, Glenn was a brave, humble, gracious and compassionate man whose achievements were amazing, to say the least.

Godspeed, sir. May you stay among the stars forever. 

• Love 5