Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: Girl Meets Her Monster

Eh. I like the Riley character Less and Less. But yeah the Topanaga-Riley fight was good. It reminded me of the BMW Episode when Shawn and Cory didn't want to take a test and were all like "we just won't go to school or participate" or something and Alan was like you kids are children, the teachers are all the adults unless you plan on getting a real job and paying bills .

• Love 5

This was a pretty good episode, probably because while Riley was acting like a total brat, she wasn't acting so dumb I couldn't understand how she dresses herself every day. 

Why didn't Maya watch the TV at her house? Topanga took her phone, but she can't control what Maya does at her own house. Maya must have an actual television at her house.

Had thought this was going to be a two-part episode,like with pt 1 ending where Riley"moves in" with Maya,then part 2(maybe with a small Shawn cameo) ends where she and Topanaga apologize to one another and Riley moves back home

I really liked this episode especially the end when Cory told Topanga she knows she is Godzilla. The girls weren't as annoying. It's about time the disrespect issue was tackled. The other episodes I liked this year were when Shawn and Katy got married but they must be on a very long honeymoon.  I barely got through some of the other episodes this year but watched this one twice.

• Love 1

This is the second episode this season that I decided to keep on my DVR! Good job all around. (I just wish they had aged Auggie up a year or two at the beginning of the show, because I feel like the actor is going to hit a growth spurt soon that will make it difficult to buy that he's still early-elementary age.)

• Love 1

This was a really a good episode. Riley and Topganga barely interacted throughout the whole show so it was nice to see them have scenes together, I really hope they have some more in the future.

As much as Riley was acting like a self-centred brat, her behaviour is actually realistic to a lot of teenagers, so I appreciate them making her act like a real person and not a 3 year old. Also, I noticed Danielle wrote this episode, explains why it was so good :) Much better than the shit we've been getting these past couple of episodes.

Also, was it just me or did I hate when Cory keep interupting Riley and Topganga in the kitchen. Idk it just felt really out of place and it took away the seriousness of the scene for me.

Edited by Rebeccax
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, RandomMe said:

This is the second episode this season that I decided to keep on my DVR! Good job all around. (I just wish they had aged Auggie up a year or two at the beginning of the show, because I feel like the actor is going to hit a growth spurt soon that will make it difficult to buy that he's still early-elementary age.)

Actually, in watching this, one thought that crossed my mind was "Auggie grew and they need to stop trying to write him as 'cute' because it no longer works". I actually enjoyed this episode for the most part, but I do agree with the article that Topanga should not have gone to apologise to Riley. That's ridiculous. They're giving children the impression that Mom had something to apologise for, which she really did not.

I do think the message was an important one, definitely needed in this day and age as I do think the sense of entitlement of our youth is growing to unreasonable proportions. As is the consensus, one of the better episodes this season. I'm still rooting for this show to move to freeform. I'm not loving the cheap gimmicks that they use for comedic effect at all (Cory sitting on his desk and whimpering.... seriously?!?!?!?). I understand they keep it there for the younger audiences but I am not a fan.

• Love 3

What is it about Disney portrayals of pop culture that's always so lame? That Red Planet Whatever sounded even worse than THIS show!

Otherwise, this was a rare (for this season at least) good episode. 

On Friday, November 4, 2016 at 10:58 PM, KaveDweller said:

Why didn't Maya watch the TV at her house? Topanga took her phone, but she can't control what Maya does at her own house. Maya must have an actual television at her house.

I assumed that she intended to wait until she could watch it with Riley.

On Saturday, November 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM, timimouse said:

I actually enjoyed this episode for the most part, but I do agree with the article that Topanga should not have gone to apologise to Riley. That's ridiculous. They're giving children the impression that Mom had something to apologise for, which she really did not.

I agree that Topanga shouldn't have gone, but she expressed regret only for allowing the situation to escalate to that point (i.e., for attempting to call Riley's bluff, thereby egging her on).

16 hours ago, halfpint ingals said:

Was the girl that Maya took over her seat and she moved into Maya's seat Sarah ? I believe she and Sabrina Carpenter real life sisters . 

Yes, that was Sarah Carpenter (first and last name of both the actress and the character).  This contributed to the humor of the line "Fine, I'm the Maya now...the way it always should've been."

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I get loyalty to your friend, but it still seems a bit unrealistic to me.

I've done it in real life, so I'll have to disagree that it constitutes a lapse in realism in the Girl Meets World universe.

It isn't just a matter of loyalty, by the way.  Much of Maya's and Riley's enjoyment of the show stemmed from their shared experience.  It was as much "it wouldn't be the same without her" as it was "it wouldn't be fair for me to see it when she can't."

• Love 4

One thing I did appreciate was Cory getting serious during the dinner table scene.

GMW plays fast & loose, to put it mildly, with 'Comedy Cory' so it's refreshing to see his adult side every now and then. That it emerged in support of his wife was a nice bonus.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Dee said:

One thing I did appreciate was Cory getting serious during the dinner table scene.

I agree.  It was annoying me how they kept portraying him earlier as afraid of Topanga and afraid to discipline Riley.  I like it MUCH better when he and Topanga work together and he's not written like Eric 2.0.

• Love 3

I totally believe that Maya wouldn't watch the show without Riley. When my best friend and I were living in the same city, we would only watch Pretty Little Liars together or at least be on the phone together if the weather was bad. I also have shows that my husband and I aren't allowed to watch until we're watching together. 

• Love 4