Type keyword(s) to search

Young Justice - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So glad to be able to talk abut this show again!

I watched YJ during its initial run on CN until it was unceremoniously dumped by the network and the majority of the DC Nation block scrapped.  What annoyed me most was the fact it was dropped just as Darkseid was to be introduced!  

This could potentially be rectified.  The show is currently available on Netflix and it's been reported that Netflix will consider reviving the show if there's enough interest.  Here is one of several YT videos reporting on the news.    If Full House can be brought back (Fuller House anyone?) this show could have a shot.

Bring Back Young Justice!

• Love 1

Man I loved this show when it was on! I don't really read comics, so this show was my proper intro to a lot of characters like Aqualad or Superboy. It also gave me a certain expectation for Black Canary that Arrow totally failed to even get close to. If they brought the show back, I imagine they would find a way to bring back Wally West (Kid Flash). I mean, he was one of the best characters in the series! In my view, a better and more mature version of teen titans (what with the team of young heroes format.)

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1
Man I loved this show when it was on! I don't really read comics, so this show was my proper intro to a lot of characters like Aqualad or Superboy.

Ditto.  For me, my childhood knowledge of most [DC] superheroes were Silver Age interpretations via shows like "Superfriends".  I really liked how this show condensed and reinterpreted a lot of old characters into reasonable characters we could still enjoy watching regardless of how much or how little one was into comic lore.   Impulse's introduction (so very complicated in the comics) came off as far more engaging and interesting here.

I imagine they would find a way to bring back Wally West (Kid Flash)

I have no doubt Wally would have been discovered alive had the series gone another season.  Without knowing much about the comics version of Wally West, I'd like to think he was thrust into the future Impulse came from and had to find a way to return to his proper time.  IIRC, Greg Weisman said there was no "Speed Force" in the YJ universe so there probably wouldn't have been a storyline about him being trapped in it or something.  I wasn't crazy about Impulse becoming the new Kid Flash (even though in the comics that was the case and Wally in YJ gave his blessing since he and Artemis were planning to return to civilian life), if only because he seemed to look too much like Wally and he seemed more distinctive in his Impulse costume.  

Plus, I was dying to know how the team was going to correct the scorched future.  All we knew was that Impulse helped fix Neutron, save Blue Beetle from The Reach and saved Barry's life but not much else had changed.  Was Darkseid the cause of it all?

• Love 1

Finally got some word on whether or not YJ will get a third season via Netflix:

"Young Justice" could still be renewed for another season if its viewership numbers on Netflix will increase to 300,000 every month, FX News Call reported. Netflix is still not satisfied with the numbers "Young Justice" is getting so the company has not ordered a third season yet. It remains to be seen whether "Young Justice" viewership numbers will still increase that could pave the way for its third season.

"Young Justice" creator Greg Weisman previously announced that he was contacted by Warner Bros. and Netflix regarding a possible third season. He advised fans to re-watch the first two seasons of "Young Justice" on Netflix and to also buy the DVDs and digital comics from Comixology. These, according to Weisman, will help them get the go signal for "Young Justice" Season 3, Movie Pilot reported.

Keep it up fans!  It can still happen!!

• Love 1

With the coming of a third season, I wonder if the numbers will be trimmed down to a manageable number. I know that the team was never called "Young Justice," but it seemed to include damn near every kid hero DC Comics had to offer, in addition to Milestone characters Static and Rocket.

I'm also hoping the original comic will be reprinted. Peter David and Todd Nauck had a lot of fun with "JLA Junior," and I'm still pissed that Wizard gave it a D-minus. For comparison purposes, Spider-Man: Chapter One got a D, and nobody ever talks about that miniseries.

39 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

They have to bring Wally back somehow. PLEASE.

While Wally was my favorite, I don't see why they would given that he was essentially inconsequential to the overall story during the two seasons we got. His entire purpose appeared to be a plot device for Artemis (and, to a lesser extent, Dick and Bart), and when he took her as far as he could, he got both fates (written out/killed) that most plot device character usually end up getting.

Honestly, the show's lackluster handling of the events leading up to his death is why I'm not all that excited by the news about season three at the moment. I had no problem with him dying, but it felt like the was nothing of substance or worth behind it because of the way they handled everything leading up to it. 

As for the team in general, I assume the roster is going to continue to be as big, if not bigger, than it was in season two. Hopefully they're able to handle the large cast better this time around if that turns out to be the case. 

With news of a new season on the horizon, I have to ask: what would you want to see on the show? While it's been a while since I've thought of Young Justice, here's what pops out of my mind: Wally, alive and well, in Bart's time. Basically, the young speedsters have swapped eras, and Wally gets a look at what life under Darkseid is like.

Since we have Nightwing and Beast Boy already, maybe we could get Starfire? Love triangle with Dick, Kori and Babs? I was also thinking Aqualad could be more interesting, but seeing how he basically turned against the team as part of a longer con, I'd say his monotone personality is something I can live with.

How about more of the pseudo-Super Friends? I'm thinking Static might be off the table, but the others would make up for it. I kinda miss the chanting as Tye formed his astral giant.

Why would Static be off the table?  In the show it's mentioned he's the only one of the runaways to continue in the hero mode, while the others "retired".  I'd love to see him active on the YJ team (bonus if he's voiced by Phil Lamarr but not required).  

On 11/7/2016 at 9:32 PM, Lantern7 said:

Wally, alive and well, in Bart's time. Basically, the young speedsters have swapped eras, and Wally gets a look at what life under Darkseid is like.

Agreed.  In fact, I'd like to think Nightwing took his leave of absence so he could try to find out what really happened to KF.  If Wally comes back, then there will be new complications:  will Artemis have moved on and be dating someone else?  Will she like being back in action and not so eager to go back to retirement with Wally?  Would Wally want to stay retired but give assistance to fight Darkseid?  Would he take up the mantle of The Flash and let Barry retire and raise the twins his wife is expecting while Bart can be the new Kid Flash?

I'd also like to see more of Zatanna (I think she got a bit of the short shrift last season), and I definitely would like to see Red Arrow and Arsenal again.  Did Red Arrow Roy settle down with Cheshire and little Lian?  Is Arsenal's thirst for vengeance causing him to flip his top and make him more unstable?

I'm also curious if Jason Todd will return as Red Hood or if he'll remain among the dead in this universe.  From what I've gathered (I'm no comics expert by any means) Jason Todd was meant to stay dead in the comics and his revival was not the plan in the mainline universe.  I wouldn't mind if he remained dead in this universe since it's a reminder of the dangerous work the kids are involved in.

• Love 2

Here's a wishlist for Season 3.  

I agree with most of them, however I'm not crazy about Jason Todd possibly returning as Red Hood.  One of the things I liked about the YJ universe was that they didn't always stick with events that occurred in the mainline universe.  The fact that Red Arrow and Arsenal (and the previous Guardian) co-exist separately is one example of many in which we get to see different interpretations of the characters.  I'm not a huge comic book fan in which I know every single detail about these characters or catch every little easter egg planted in this series, but I can still very much enjoy it.

Jason Todd, from what I've read up on him was meant to remain dead and never be resurrected, and again, I'd be fine with that (despite my enjoyment of "Batman: Under The Red Hood" movie).  If anything it'd be a reminder at the dangerous work these kids are involved in.  Perhaps there could be some soul searching or second guessing for characters like Dick or Tim or Barbara being part of the Bat Family.

Greg Weisman stated previously that no speed force exists in the YJ universe and that's fine with me.  I prefer Wally be elsewhere before he returns.

I'm open to seeing more characters, but there is a risk of the JLU effect in which there are so many heroes that's it's hard to provide adequate characterization for them.  

I'm also guessing that the events of the video game that was released in conjunction with the show is also considered cannon as was the tie in comic.

On 4/14/2016 at 5:46 AM, magicdog said:

Ditto.  For me, my childhood knowledge of most [DC] superheroes were Silver Age interpretations via shows like "Superfriends".  I really liked how this show condensed and reinterpreted a lot of old characters into reasonable characters we could still enjoy watching regardless of how much or how little one was into comic lore.   Impulse's introduction (so very complicated in the comics) came off as far more engaging and interesting here.

I have no doubt Wally would have been discovered alive had the series gone another season.  Without knowing much about the comics version of Wally West, I'd like to think he was thrust into the future Impulse came from and had to find a way to return to his proper time.  IIRC, Greg Weisman said there was no "Speed Force" in the YJ universe so there probably wouldn't have been a storyline about him being trapped in it or something. I wasn't crazy about Impulse becoming the new Kid Flash (even though in the comics that was the case and Wally in YJ gave his blessing since he and Artemis were planning to return to civilian life), if only because he seemed to look too much like Wally and he seemed more distinctive in his Impulse costume.  

Plus, I was dying to know how the team was going to correct the scorched future.  All we knew was that Impulse helped fix Neutron, save Blue Beetle from The Reach and saved Barry's life but not much else had changed.  Was Darkseid the cause of it all?

Regarding the bolded- I hope Weisman changed his mind about that. And if not, then Wally is stuck "somewhere." I don't care how he does it, but he better as fuck bring MY Wally back! This version of Wally and Bruce Timm's Justice League/Justice League Unlimited's version of Wally/Flash is my favorite. Like I posted in the media thread, I just rewatched this on Netflix and did some very ugly ugly ass ? ??? when Wally was snatched and disappeared.

I have no idea if Darkseid was behind the destruction of the future Earth that wasn't "corrected" by Bart rescuing Neutron, but it could be possible.

Justice League Unlimited's Dinah/Black Canary is also awesome, @JustaPerson!

I loved this show as well for the most part, aside from a few things. The most egregious being Zatanna aged down and her and Dick/Robin being a thing, which, ewwww!

I really loved his Nightwing here, but Batman totally wouldn't have believed that the Green Beetle was okay, just because he's a skeptical bastard.

I know I railed against what an asshole Weisman made Supes out to be on TWoP, and watching it again pisses me off, because on one hand I agreed Conner wasn't his son and Bruce trying to guilt him into thinking of him as such, irked me.  But on the other hand, Supes would not have acted like a coward and refuse to help Connor, like Weisman had him do until the end of the first season.  And since when is BATS in charge of the League? He's a part-timer! Superman should have been more front and center when it came to League business. I know that Bats was the one sending the team on their missions.

Also surprising was the number of deaths shown, considering it was a children's show. 

I'm hoping Weisman doesn't disappoint me. And as soon as I'm able, I'm definitely getting this show on dvd as well.

I hope he can get most of the same cast back! But I also hope he can get ClancyFucking!Brown for Lex! Brown did play Farraday, after all! And I know that Conroy is busy with the new JL show, but there were two directors from this show, who also directed the straight to home JL and Batman movies, so yeah, I'm always going to want my originals.

And in all that is holy, please please ditch that whiny maroon L'gan!

Got an update:

Weisman confirms via Twitter  the show is in "pre-pre-production."  I take that to mean he and the writers are trying to pick up where they left off so we know what storylines will be coming up and what loose ends to tie up from the second season cliffhanger.  Don't expect a trailer at least for a year.  

The character designs will remain the same.

There was a mention on Reddit that the show's run time would change - either episodes would be longer or shorter.  Weisman dismisses this.  The length will remain the same.

There was some discussion on  the speed force and if the concept existed in the YJ universe.  I remember on other sites, Weisman confirmed there was no speed force here and mentioned why should there be one since Superman doesn't get his powers from a "superpower force" .  It was also mentioned that the speed force was depicted on speedsters as lightning which was never shown when we saw YJ speedsters.  

The most compelling of the news seems that the show will not air on CN.  I'm not surprised at this, most speculate Netflix will carry it - perhaps exclusively.  So far no mention of any TV networks that would carry Season 3.

Edited by magicdog

Not really about the show, but I have to share . . . DC Comics is published a TPB of Young Justice in mid-April. Here's the solicitation:

YOUNG JUSTICE BOOK ONE TP

Written by PETER DAVID, TODD DEZAGO, D. CURTIS JOHNSON and others

Art by TODD NAUCK, HUMBERTO RAMOS, MIKE MCKONE, ALÉ GARZA, CRAIG ROUSSEAU and others

Cover by TODD NAUCK and LARY STUCKER

The original run of YOUNG JUSTICE is collected at last from YOUNG JUSTICE #1-7, JLA: WORLD WITHOUT GROWN-UPS #1-2, YOUNG JUSTICE: THE SECRET and YOUNG JUSTICE: SECRET FILES #1. Witness the formation of the original Young Justice team, including Superboy, Impulse, Wonder Girl, Secret and Arrowette as mentors like Red Tornado and Nightwing guide the group into adventure!

On sale APRIL 19 • 360 pg, FC, $29.99 US

It differs a lot from the show with the same name, but I found it to be a lot of fun . . . especially with Impulse/Superboy/Robin serving as id/ego/superego.

And it's back! And called "Young Justice: Outsiders"! And it's on a brand-new streaming service!

The main focus of the article is the new Titans series, but here's a blurb about YJ:

In Young Justice: Outsiders, the teenage superheroes of the DC Universe come of age in an animated world of superpowers, super villains and super secrets. In the new season, the team faces its greatest challenge as it takes on meta-human trafficking and the terrifying threat it creates for a society caught in the crossfire of a genetic arms race spanning the globe and the galaxy.

• Love 1

That's right, folks!!  DC is creating it's own streaming service.

In addition to Young Justice S3, that live action Titans series that has been shipped around for a year or two (or three)

and eventually, when Cartoon Network decides to stop showing it just once every couple of weeks, Justice League Action will probably show the rest of their episodes on here as well.

Not to mention reruns of Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Constantine, and much much more!!!

Ugh. Berlanti's involved with Titans so that tells me what kind of show it will be and the fuckery involved. IF he surprises me, then I'll eat crow. But based on what I know of his idea of doing super hero shows, I'm doing some serious side eyeing until proven wrong.

But Young Justice? I'm in! Wish we knew if they managed to get the original actors to voice the characters or if it will be a new cast.

• Love 1

Wish for Season 3 is that with Darkseid as the big villain no more self-satisfied Light members. I get Wiseman likes to have the heroes victory turn out to secretly be a win for the bad guys. On Gargoyles I didn't mind it because it made Xanatos a great antagonist when every defeat turned out to work in his favor in his grand scheme but I was tired of it by season 2 of Young Justice. All the bad guys from Lex to Vandal Savage to Sportsmaster to freaking Klarion the Witch Boy always had this smug attitude and it annoyed me so much. What made Xanatos believable to me is he's one guy but I'm supposed to believe there's no infighting among the Light members? All those villains were on the same page? Vandal seemed pretty pleased with himself in the final scene of Season 2 but I can't imagine Darkseid considering himself anyone's equal or not wanting total obedience.

Greg Weisman confirmed it's Arrowette. From io9:

The other two, of course, were very briefly glimpsed in the previous seasons as characters whose lives were impacted by the characters we were following. Producer Greg Weisman explained Arrowette is “that little girl who watched Green Arrow and Artemis save her father’s life, [and] this is the natural evolution.” These new characters were inspired by the show’s heroes, the same way the original show’s heroes were inspired by their mentors.

I'm new to this show -- semi-binge-watching on Netflix and I have a very important question: Does Miss Martian eventually stop saying "Hello, Megan!" several times every episode? I mean, really, a catchphrase is all very well, but -- what's the Martian for "Oy"?

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I'm new to this show -- semi-binge-watching on Netflix and I have a very important question: Does Miss Martian eventually stop saying "Hello, Megan!" several times every episode? I mean, really, a catchphrase is all very well, but -- what's the Martian for "Oy"?

Wait, whuuut? It's back on Netflix? I don't want to spoil you, but are you still on season one?

Just now, The Crazed Spruce said:

Don't know about the States, but it's been back on Netflix in Canada for at least a month or so.

Yeah it was pulled from Netflix I the States because DC will be coming up with their own streaming service. And the new third season will premiere on it. 

12 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Don't know about the States, but it's been back on Netflix in Canada for at least a month or so.

And yes, I'm still on Season 1. I started recently enough that I didn't know it had been and gone from Netflix here -- I've only had Netflix for about a year.

6 minutes ago, Sandman said:

And yes, I'm still on Season 1. I started recently enough that I didn't know it had been and gone from Netflix here -- I've only had Netflix for about a year.

Do you want to know? I don't want to spoil you. I've watched it multiple times. When it ran originally, then on Netflix. I can't recall if I bought it from Amazon Prime video or not.

11 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Do you want to know? I don't want to spoil you. I've watched it multiple times. When it ran originally, then on Netflix. I can't recall if I bought it from Amazon Prime video or not.

I don't need the details at this point; I'm not deathly afraid of spoilers, but I am happy to let the story unfold in its own way. A hint at the possibility that "Hello, Megan!" is not everything about her is enough to content me for now. Thanks for the offer.

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

A hint at the possibility that "Hello, Megan!" is not everything about her is enough to content me for now. Thanks for the offer.

Yes, the "Hello Megan!" isn't everything about her. There is a lot more to her as you will find out. That particular part of her character was the MOST ANNOYING thing I found about her and it drove me batshit crazy.

• Love 1

They get more into her back story later on in the season, and even show exactly where she picked up "Hello, Megan!" She doesn't use it as much after that, and I don't recall hearing her say it at all in Season 2. (I think she might've said it once or twice, but if she did, it didn't really stand out.)

• Love 1

Liking M'Gann a lot more in the second season. I've enjoyed it, although the writers seem to rely on faking someone's death quite heavily.

The Reach is annoying. Yeah, I said it.

On 7/6/2017 at 12:05 PM, VCRTracking said:

I can't imagine Darkseid considering himself anyone's equal or not wanting total obedience.

This.  

When it was first hinted that The Light had made him a partner, I couldn't imagine Darkseid NOT betraying them at some point.

• Love 3