Type keyword(s) to search

The Mentors: They Would Be Coaches

• Start Topic

I've listened to The Band Perry's self-titled album. It's not the strongest in terms of lyrics or vocals but there are songs I enjoy on it and I think Kimberly was giving some pretty good advice as a mentor. You don't have to be the best singer to have a good ear. Jill Scott also seemed like she could be a good mentor though we didn't get to see too much of her advice (but I didn't mind that as Usher is probably my favorite coach in terms of practical advice). I mean, yeah, some people are fine technically and just need B.S. advice like "believe in yourself" and "be more confident" or useless advice like "try and hit the right notes" but I think it helps to have a coach who actually helps you improve your singing.

Sitting here in awe of how smart, thoughtful and normal Miley Cyrus is! Impressive woman. Makes me a little bit sad that she feels that she had to promote such a sensationalistic image to have a successful career.

• Love 3

I had an aversion to Miley until I saw her mentor.  I took a 180 degree turn.  I don't care for either Christina or Gwen so I look forward to next season.  Gwen just does not have the skill it takes for that job, at all!   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2016 at 4:04 PM, Valny said:

I'm happy and psyched to see Joan Jett in there, I don't usually see her on shows like this...or tv exposure in general.  Not surprised she's paired with Miley.  

• Love 3

I agree its a great performance (especially since in a rare feat for her, Ariana actually enunciates).  

But Ariana is not a Voice coach!

Edited by Kromm
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 2:04 PM, Valny said:

What does everyone think about the mentors for Season 11?

I'm happy and psyched to see Joan Jett in there, I don't usually see her on shows like this...or tv exposure in general.  Not surprised she's paired with Miley.  The Blake/Bette Midler combo was a bit surprising but I actually look forward to them since the seem such opposites. I like what Bette had to say about him too.

I'm generally okay with the Battle mentor combinations.  Adam is into pop and rock, so Sammy Hagar works out for matching up with the latter.  Blake and Bette Midler seem a bit random, but otherwise could be a good match.  Miley and Joan Jett have their history, as mentioned above, so they make perfect sense together.  The one pairing that seems completely out of nowhere to me is Alicia and Charlie Puth.  I mean . . . what?  Those two are in completely different genres, and I didn't even think they knew each other!  I do not see that going very well.

Edited by Michel

Is it possible Puth wrote a song for Alicia?  While they are somewhat in different genres, Alicia does cross over a bit (when she wants to). At the very least they are both piano based, and Puth does do a kind of white boy version of R&B ("Let's Marvin Gaye and Get It On").

I will say that there is no requirement on this show for the Mentors to know each other. In fact it's been made clear in the past that most of them don't (because the network arranged the pairings).  Miley and Joan knowing each other is the exception, not the rule.