Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Key West Key Lime Pie Co.

• Start Topic

One of the things this show does (probably unintentionally) is demonstrate that the stereotypes we hold about the various attributes of Men v Women in business are often unfounded. Here in Key West, the dude is all emotional, hysterical, constantly needing reassurance, while both his girlfriend and Tami are shoulders-to-the-wheel, make do, get-it-done types, willing to make hard decisions based on realities, unused to anybody having their backs. I find it fascinating.  (And not just in this ep, either.)

I was amazed that the big Macy's contract everybody was touting was for only 600 pies. That can't be a nationwide item at that volume.

• Love 2

A lot of what needed to be done at the pie shop was pretty obvious. Even though the guy was an emotional mess - which brought out a bunch of assholish tendencies - I felt like he really did give a shit about what the business did and the impact it had on the employees (unlike the Amazing Grapes owners). I can imagine the whole thing just grew bigger and more out of hand than he imagined and he could only address it with "sell more stuff."

I was glad Marcus changed the recipe, because after hearing how that pie was made originally, I surely would have resented throwing four bucks away for one piece. I also thought it was smart to use Jim's crust. But the new logo - ugly and already dated, in my opinion. And like camom above stated, I thought it was a different lime from a key lime. I thought Marcus should have thrown Jim a bone and used the old logo, or a riff on the old logo, because I thought the old logo was actually pretty good. It would have made Jim pleased to win one small battle.

I was a bit confused about the chefs. I understand trying to get a new proprietary recipe, but it seemed like they came up with some really complicated stuff that took the pie into a whole new direction. I can see maybe doing an alternative version or something, but there needed to be a basic key lime pie to draw people in - not something loaded with chocolate or in a jar. My feeling is if you're doing a key lime pie business, you need at least a classic version of the pie to choose on the menu.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 1

Just saw the episode, and it occurred to me that If he really had a majority stake in the company, Marcus should have changed his last name to Limeis.

Thanks everyone, I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your bartenders.

I feel like so many of these episodes have the scenes of Marcus arguing with Dude who owns the company about change, and really what these scenes shoudl be, just to make the point clearer, is a  penis-size competition.  During the argument about shutting down the store I was waiting for Alison (the co-owner) to say "zip em back up, guys, we have work to do!"   And to be fair to Jim, Marcus presented the shop closing in the most confrontational way possible, not even acknowledging that it might be tough, etc. JIm was a douche for telling the kid he was out of job though.   

• Love 1

I really liked the scene between Jim and the employee who pretty much was the heart of the operation. To see him get emotional for being able to pay her what she was worth (her salary was more than tripled!) cast him in a different light for me. He did understand and appreciate her worth.

What I like about a handful of "reality" shows is the honest (well, I understand that this is TV)  look at human nature: how people react to change, how people can or can't change, how people can or can't learn a lesson in humility, how genuine or phony people can be. If I can't glean some knowledge or understanding from a reality show, it's totally useless to me; I don't care for soap opera-like drama.

I'm sorry this show has such a short season, but then again, it's good to leave 'em wanting more.

• Love 2

What pissed me off the most about this business was the fact that they won numerous awards for pies they were not selling.  They entered good tasting, home made pies for the contest and then sold mass produced crap at a huge profit.  That burns my ass.  Then, the guy has the audacity to think that what he was selling was good quality.  Turn in your man card, buddy.

I've seen every episode of The Profit now and I dislike the owner of this business more than any other. What an emotional basket-case. This guy trips over his ego at every possible opportunity. It didn't help that he reminded me of my least favorite boss ever. Even when his employee was given six months of pay and a salary - with the real purpose being her peace of mind while having a baby (which is to Marcus' credit) - I fully expected the guy to say, "I wish we could have done this sooner." or "You're worth every penny and more." Nope. He says, "You know how many times I wanted to do that?". Again, his ego is more important than the point of that moment. He's an ass and nothing and nobody will fix that. God bless Marcus and that man's wife or he'd be TOTALLY screwed.

• Love 1

You didn't like this guy more than the Dog Works owner in L.A.?...THAT guy seemed to have some "issues." The Key Lime guy wasn't that "volatile." (How's that for a way to describe it?:))

Edited by selhars
  • Love 3

You didn't like this guy more than the Dog Works owner in L.A.?...THAT guy seemed to have some "issues." The Key Lime guy wasn't that "volatile." (How's that for a way to describe it?:))

LOL! Yes. I've been going through this with my wife for a week now. Wife: "You like him less than the roid guy!?" (She's talking about Michael Sena) Me:"Yes." Wife:"You like him less than the liar from Pro-Stitch!?" Me: "Yes." Wife: "You like him less than the ...."  Yes. He is my least favorite. There are other owners I would have flat out walked away from in 30 seconds, but I CANNOT STAND temper tantrums from people who then turn around and ask why you don't respect them. Also, I guess I have less patience for those who CHOOSE to be jerks than those who are just that way at a molecular level. It's just so unnecessary in this guy's case.

A lot of what needed to be done at the pie shop was pretty obvious. Even though the guy was an emotional mess - which brought out a bunch of assholish tendencies - I felt like he really did give a shit about what the business did and the impact it had on the employees (unlike the Amazing Grapes owners). I can imagine the whole thing just grew bigger and more out of hand than he imagined and he could only address it with "sell more stuff."

I was glad Marcus changed the recipe, because after hearing how that pie was made originally, I surely would have resented throwing four bucks away for one piece. I also thought it was smart to use Jim's crust. But the new logo - ugly and already dated, in my opinion. And like camom above stated, I thought it was a different lime from a key lime. I thought Marcus should have thrown Jim a bone and used the old logo, or a riff on the old logo, because I thought the old logo was actually pretty good. It would have made Jim pleased to win one small battle.

I was a bit confused about the chefs. I understand trying to get a new proprietary recipe, but it seemed like they came up with some really complicated stuff that took the pie into a whole new direction. I can see maybe doing an alternative version or something, but there needed to be a basic key lime pie to draw people in - not something loaded with chocolate or in a jar. My feeling is if you're doing a key lime pie business, you need at least a classic version of the pie to choose on the menu.

I think that was just to get ideas out there and then test those three to see what elements worked and didn't then change as needed.

As for the logo a key lime is kind of hard to draw and make good on a logo. 640px-Citrus_aurantiifolia_of_Kadavoor.j

Unattractive isn't it?. Plus people think of limes as being completely round. Which is due to the most common lime used which is the Persian Lime. Persian_lime.jpg

Edited by nobodyyoucare