Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Forsaking All Others

• Start Topic

On 10/22/2016 at 9:12 AM, MsPH said:

I don't think petting the dogs is comparable to being affectionate towards another human being. I'm also a pretty extreme introvert and shy to boot, though the shyness has thankfully lessened over the years, and if I'm in an uncomfortable situation and there's a dog around, I'll be all over that dog. I don't care whose dog it is or if I just met the dog 2 minutes ago, I'll be petting that creature like he's mine. I grew up with dogs and often times felt closer to them than any human being, so I guess they're like a comfort blanket for me, a stress reliever. They don't judge, they're just happy to get any attention. Focusing on them is also a way to avoid eye contact and turn the other person's attention away from you as well. So Nick being all over the dogs rather than Sonia, just shows me that he's still not comfortable around her and/or the cameras. Whether things are different off-camera, who knows. They might be, since Sonia hasn't totally given up yet, or they might not, in which case is it worth sticking around to see if they get any better? I don't know. I can't help giving Nick some slack since I see myself in him at times. He can act like an idiot, but there are some mental blocks that come with shyness which are hard for most people to understand. Saying or doing something that's totally normal for others might seem next to impossible and it's not that you don't realise how strange that is, you just feel unable to do anything about it and that's extremely frustrating. Nothing that Nick has said or done makes me think that he's not really shy or introverted, he totally is. The only thing he's done that I question, is go on TV in the first place, but I don't think it's just to advertise his business. Considering how inhibited and useless at relationships he is, I can see him thinking of this show a shortcut to marriage. That's what it sounded like when he was ranting about how it shouldn't require work because experts paired you up. Too bad it doesn't work like that in reality. You still have to get to know the other person from scratch, they just can't run away after the first date (well Heather could). I think he might be slowly growing attached to Sonia, but it's still too much for him to talk about his feelings, even if it's just "I miss you". Kind of sad.

I never doubted for a minute that he is an introvert. I am one too. I know the pain of being misunderstood, misjudged. But I insist that so far, the vibe he is giving is not enough. I have dated introverted men and even though they won't jump at you, you can tell if they are attracted to you. You can tell that when they see you, their heart goes to their throat, or their eyes shine a bit more or they get flustered. You can tell they can't keep their eyes off of you. Something... I'm not seeing that here. At most, I see that when they sit together to look at pictures or do the board, he seems to cozy up a little, or that they enjoy joking together. Maybe it has a lot to do with the cameras being around, I don't think I could be my normal self either. But Sonia seems disappointed, as if she expected more.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2016 at 4:07 PM, call me ishmael said:

and am i the only one who thought that it was very strange that Dr. Pepper, a sociologist, would decide that a couple having trouble balancing work and home would be able to solve that problem by artificial removing work from the equation?  Oh, Dr. Pepper, so misunderstood...

Exactly! Those "fix everything mini vacations so we forget about the things we should be working on" are pathetic. And they just had a honeymoon. When is real life time?

• Love 2

I feel badly for Lilly as well being mismatched &, from my perspective, their differences not being valued or respected by Tom. That said, though, she's only 24, just building her business, pretty ambitious, so why get married now, & why this way? It's an odd choice to me. She's got issues with her father leaving (which was lousy what he did), so is she trying to re-create a family situation for herself that she lost when he left? Real armchair psych going on, but it doesn't seem like great timing on her part... (or Tom's, as he doesn't seem ready to commit yet).

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jamblastx said:

Oh I know that and quite frankly, especially when it comes to a scripted show, it takes me RIGHT out of the story and reminds me that its just a tv show.  And I dont think that its a law but rather, the feeling that showing a logo is branding and if the company wants it to be shown, they should pay for it.  Also if a show has product placement paid for by a certain company, they don't want to show the logo of a competitor.

I just found it odd since they have no issues showing other brand logos including Nick's t shirts and for that matter there was one scene where a Chevrolet bowtie was clearly visible in another car and I believe that we have seen the Lexus logos on Sonja's and Lily's car as well as Tom's Volvo.  I highly doubt that these manufacturers spent even a penny on this show

It's not illegal but permission is needed and perhaps some companies don't want to be associated with this suckfest of a show, or the show doesn't want to fork over licensing fees in exchange for displaying the logos.

Interestingly, I randomly Googled on this topic and found this interesting page explaining it, and lo and behold scrolling down I found our very own MAFS Season 3 Ashley's photo in the article holding her iPhone with tape over the Apple logo!:

http://www.howtogeek.com/243047/why-do-tv-shows-and-movies-cover-up-logos/

• Love 1
16 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

That said, though, she's only 24, just building her business, pretty ambitious, so why get married now, & why this way? It's an odd choice to me.

Me too, she's really young to fit the "they have tried everything and are now leaving it up to the experts" profile.  

• Love 3

my best friend growing up had a Mom that reinforced getting engaged or married really young...she often said she wanted to be engaged by 18.....I think its how youre raised....this friend even bought herself a hope chest for herself (I know, right??), and I think it was a huge disapointment that she did not get married until she was 24.

I'm not sure I could ever describe Lily as "responsible" or "driven"... yet. Let's check back in 5-10 years. IIRC she is new to real estate, didn't finish "medical school" (I have my doubts that she ever finished undergrad), uses poor grammar, and decided to go on a reality show to get married. I think she's as loopy as Tom, just in a different way.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PityFree said:

I'm not sure I could ever describe Lily as "responsible" or "driven"... yet. Let's check back in 5-10 years. IIRC she is new to real estate, didn't finish "medical school" (I have my doubts that she ever finished undergrad), uses poor grammar, and decided to go on a reality show to get married. I think she's as loopy as Tom, just in a different way.

I think there are many that go to school for one thing and at some point change their minds for one reason or another. It doesn't make them irresponsible or not driven when they get into something else. My MIL had started out wanting to be a nurse and once she started going to school for it realized it wasn't for her. She ended up later on working in the accounting departments for different companies and after moving back to California she ended up working with a school district until earlier this year when she retired from there. Sometimes people think or get it drilled into them that this is what they should do in their life but once they get to that point they realize its not what they wanted after all or its what everyone else had wanted for them. Plus she had started it in another country. She didn't start it here which is maybe another reason for her change in careers. There are many factors in that we have no clue on why she didn't. IMO she seems to have goals for herself she wants to try to make happen before having kids and for trying to have some sort of financial stability. That IMO is being responsible on her part. She doesn't want to just have them now while trying to make a career in real estate. As for the poor grammar, take a look at all those her age and younger and heck even older using SM and you will sadly see that same poor grammar. To me she doesn't come off though as an irresponsible slacker. I will agree though that anyone that goes on any kind of reality show is a bit loopy for sure. LOL

• Love 4

Finally getting a chance to watch this episode.  I'm more than finished with this shitshow, but I'm hanging in there until the (bitter) end.

Bus Boy is getting on my last damn nerve.  I didn't like his pissy little comment about Lily always looking down at her phone or "doing selfies," while he made a sarcastic little face as if he was talking about a self-absorbed teenager.  The woman appears to work her ass off (assuming that's not all Instagram and Facebook).  She's allowed to have a little fun.  His comment that she is "prissy" also didn't sit very well with me.  Wanting air conditioner in Florida on a long, hot-ass bus ride is not prissy, nor is wanting a serviceable bed to sleep in when you're past sleepover camp age.  Lord knows what he'd call me if I were in Lily's slightly moist flip flops on that bus ride.  It wouldn't be anything polite, I'm sure.  I have few outright demands in life, but AC in vehicles during the summer months in Florida is right up there near the top.  As for his suggestion that she explore alternative therapies for her shoulder injury, um, bitch please.  I'll leave it at that.  Run, Lily, assuming he doesn't do it for her.  These issues will not get better.  

Nick and Sonia.  Sonia makes me so sad.  She's clearly being nudged along by the producers to keep up this ridiculous farce of a "marriage."  She's been treated like shit by Nick!  He's disrespected her on a fundamental level.  Clearly, Sonia won't stay with him, but I really dislike the way she's being treated.  

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5

My husband and I love taking road trips together, and we may get an RV someday. So I was favorably inclined toward Tom's vacation idea. But that bus is SUCH a bachelor pad. The whole point is to be co-pilots! Where's Chewbacca's chair? How can you bond on the trip when you can't sit together? And why does it still have plywood on the interior door?

HELL NAW to Florida without A/C. Not even close.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

My husband and I love taking road trips together, and we may get an RV someday. So I was favorably inclined toward Tom's vacation idea. But that bus is SUCH a bachelor pad. The whole point is to be co-pilots! Where's Chewbacca's chair? How can you bond on the trip when you can't sit together? And why does it still have plywood on the interior door?

HELL NAW to Florida without A/C. Not even close.

The interior isn't finished......he said he had been working on that thing for 2 yrs and that is what it looks like. LOL Agree that she should have had a place to sit near by but thanks to it being an old bus and not an RV there is no spot like that unless he was to put it in and I can't see that happening. We had our a/c go out in our minivan which was hell for us in California. I can't imagine traveling around places that way. UGH 

• Love 2