Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Miranda's style was my least favorite, but I do think most of what she wore suited her. She wasn't froufrou like Charlotte. Every now and then I did hate her looks though. 

sex-and-the-city-bad-outfits-3.jpg?quali

I call that her “picking up take out, don’t want to be recognized look”- isn’t that from an episode where she was actually headed up pick up a newspaper or candy or something and ran into an ex (with whom she was in love) and the woman he left her for?

• Love 2

Yeah, and we were supposed to think Miranda was a hypocrite or something because earlier in the episode she bitched out the girls about all of their lives revolving around men, and that scene was supposed to show us that Miranda was just as shallow or something because she ducked a corner or avoided her ex when she saw him. Or something.

I think women that prefer partnered people 1. have low self esteem, and get a thrill of being chosen by a committed person (as in "OOOO I am so irresistible that I made them cheat"), 2. are partnered themselves and don't want to blow up their lives, but want something on the side. 

Or maybe they just want no strings attached sex without having to go into complicated reasons as to why they can't be together. "We just had sex, you can go home now, I'm going to jump in the shower and meet some friends later for a movie and some drinks after. Catch you later!"

With regards to Samantha, I don't think she purposely went looking for married men, but if one came along and there was mutual attraction, she wasn't going to say. Samantha was going to ride that baloney pony whether it was married or not.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Miranda's style was my least favorite, but I do think most of what she wore suited her. She wasn't froufrou like Charlotte. Every now and then I did hate her looks though. 

Patricia Field had this to say about Cynthia Nixon.

"I know those gals! Sarah Jessica [Parker] thinks she knows everything – and she does. Cynthia Nixon thinks she knows everything – and she doesn’t! Even today, when I speak with Molly, it's about Cynthia. I say, 'I remember what you are going through.'"

I always thought Miranda was dressed so poorly compared to the other three.  I had originally thought it was because Patricia Field didn't know how to dress the character but now I'm inclined to believe CN thought she knew better how to dress Miranda.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Given that Carrie did have some truly hideous and strange outfits, I would say neither SJP nor Pat Fields knows everything.

I think in Miranda's case, they just could have done a better job in the earlier seasons with regards to her work attire. She was making decent money and could have afforded sleeker, more tailored high end suits, instead of the shapeless boxy numbers they put her in (though at least her suits got better as the show went on).

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

Patricia Field had this to say about Cynthia Nixon.

"I know those gals! Sarah Jessica [Parker] thinks she knows everything – and she does. Cynthia Nixon thinks she knows everything – and she doesn’t! Even today, when I speak with Molly, it's about Cynthia. I say, 'I remember what you are going through.'"

Do you have the article showing the context of this?!  What does this all mean?  Who is Molly?!

3 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Given that Carrie did have some truly hideous and strange outfits, I would say neither SJP nor Pat Fields knows everything.

I think in Miranda's case, they just could have done a better job in the earlier seasons with regards to her work attire. She was making decent money and could have afforded sleeker, more tailored high end suits, instead of the shapeless boxy numbers they put her in (though at least her suits got better as the show went on).

I think those suits were the style in the late 90s though. I am a huge 90210 fan, and so many of the ladies (who weren't lawyers, and were in COLLEGE) wore suits like that (in brighter colors though). That boxy look really does look best on people that are very tall and slim, or tall and apple shaped (the box hides the tummy and shows off the slim limbs).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Hiyo said:

They deliberately gave Miranda a homely wardrobe.  I started working in the 90's, and yes, the boxy look with shoulders was a thing, but that was a holdover from the huge shoulder pad style of the late 80's.  Blouses had shoulder pads, jackets had shoulder pads, and coats had shoulder pads.  You could walk of the house each morning in winter looking like a linebacker.

I worked in a huge, fancy, litigation firm back then for a while, and the female attorneys did wear suits, but they wore them more like Samantha does...less shoulder, more shape, tailored and of high quality fabrics.  There were also a LOT of rich fabric, tailored dresses, with or without a jacket, which Miranda would have looked PERFECT wearing.  Instead, they dressed her like a paralegal just out of school in her first discount suit from Fashion Bug.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

PF doesn't really go into details.

https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/patricia-field-cynthia-nixon

Molly is the costume designer on AJLT.

Very, very interesting.  Thank you.

Whatever people may think of Carrie's fashion, Patricia Field and SJP consider each other fashion soulmates, that's my guess.  They probably considered each other a match made in heaven.  But it seems like Pat and Cynthia didn't exactly see eye to eye.  Now , seeing how much control Cynthia has over AJLT, I am not surprised.

My opinion on SJP went down after the whole Kim debacle, but I'll give her credit.  At least on AJLT she's letting Carrie be Carrie.  At least Carrie isn't SJP.  Although, I wish she would have intervened when Cynthia decided to torpedo shit.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, izabella said:

There were also a LOT of rich fabric, tailored dresses, with or without a jacket, which Miranda would have looked PERFECT wearing.  Instead, they dressed her like a paralegal just out of school in her first discount suit from Fashion Bug.

OMG I am laughing so hard!!!! This is so funny. How witty.The Muppets Laughing GIF

In my defense I was 13 in 1998 but I do remember "Fashion Bug" in strip malls. Miranda wouldn't have shopped there!

My favorite Miranda look for a social event is this black mesh dress she wore in season 2 to a wedding. I love illusion, so its a personal thing. 

image.thumb.png.aab0d7d8531fc4d223acab8d85bdc5f5.png

• Love 8
On 1/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Great interview with Blair Underwood on Sex and the City, from last August.  Let me know if any of you reach a paywall, and I can copy and paste it.

https://www.vulture.com/article/blair-underwood-sex-and-the-city-doctor-robert-leeds-interview.html

Thanks for sharing that. It's interesting that Blair said he was offered the part of Chivon (at least I'm assuming that's the part he's referring to). He says he turned it down because Samantha dated Chivon because she was "curious" about dating a black man and he wasn't interested in being "a curiosity." That's not at all how that storyline came across. Although that storyline ultimately became about race, Sam dated him because she was attracted to him, not because she was curious about dating a black guy. No doubt she'd been with a few men of color already. 

• Love 5

The story was stereotypical though. It was ALL about how Chivon was Black.  Chivon had to introduce her to rap music (EYEROLL) and his sister didn't want Chivon to date her.  Then they gave Chivon all of this stereotypical language : "Yo yo, let's keep it real, let's keep it real!"

Blair was very smart to turn that down.  But I don't blame the actor who played Chivon either because that's a major part for a not known Black actor to get.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7

Miranda's late 90s attire fit her profession and being in NYC.  Back in the 90s, lawyers in NYC generally wore lots of black suits.  I loved Miranda's hair in the early seasons...and didn't like it once it grew out a bit..and just hung there.

• Love 3

One of the things that always bothered my in “A Woman’s Right to Shoes” that I don’t think has been mentioned here-Tatum O’Neals’s character was never bothered by the fact that an invited guest stole something from her home.

• Love 5
On 4/17/2022 at 12:46 PM, chitowngirl said:

One of the things that always bothered my in “A Woman’s Right to Shoes” that I don’t think has been mentioned here-Tatum O’Neals’s character was never bothered by the fact that an invited guest stole something from her home.

I feel like we definitely mentioned it.  I remember saying that I thought she should be ashamed, at least a little.  Instead she acted like nothing happened and tried to act like Carrie was crazy for even caring.

I also remember bringing it up because it's one of those few times that I was totally pro-Carrie, but also, Tatum's character felt like such an unrealistic caricature to me that I wonder if her reaction was at all realistic.

She also bought a $500 pair of shoes specifically for that party, which was a kid's birthday party I think, and I thought that was a little silly but other people said it made sense.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel like we definitely mentioned it.  I remember saying that I thought she should be ashamed, at least a little.  Instead she acted like nothing happened and tried to act like Carrie was crazy for even caring.

I also remember bringing it up because it's one of those few times that I was totally pro-Carrie, but also, Tatum's character felt like such an unrealistic caricature to me that I wonder if her reaction was at all realistic.

She also bought a $500 pair of shoes specifically for that party, which was a kid's birthday party I think, and I thought that was a little silly but other people said it made sense.

For those of us who are single, I think that episode really hit close to home. Sometimes people who are married with kids have this superiority complex. "I'm better. I'm responsible. I have priorities. I don't spend frivolously." And they brought up how much money Carrie's spent celebrating them over the years. All the Bachelorette parties, bridal showers, weddings, baby showers, and kid birthday parties add up. I am happy to celebrate all my friends' big moments, and I wouldn't do what Carrie did, but as a viewer I applauded her for registering for those shoes. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 9
40 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

For those of us who are single, I think that episode really hit close to home. Sometimes people who are married with kids have this superior complex. "I'm better. I'm responsible. I have priorities. I don't spend frivolously." And they brought up how much money Carrie's spent celebrating them over the years. All the Bachelorette parties, bridal showers, weddings, baby showers, and kid birthday parties add up. I am happy to celebrate all my friends' big moments, and I wouldn't do what Carrie did, but as a viewer I applauded her for registering for those shoes. 

Single shaming!  Yes! Lifestyle shaming!

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I take that to mean she wanted to upstage the kid who's birthday it was.  Maybe not consciously but Carrie did like being noticed. Tatum's character (and I'm assuming the guests) were supposed to be part of the crowd who went to the Hamptons.  Maybe Carrie was trying to impress them.

8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Sometimes people who are married with kids have this superiority complex. "I'm better. I'm responsible. I have priorities. I don't spend frivolously.

Before my son married a woman with a daughter I didn't have grandkids.  One weekend a relative texted me asking me what I was doing. I said I'm shoe shopping.  If you can feel a judgmental tone through a text I felt it when she said she was Christmas shopping for her grandkids.  That is one of many reasons we are no longer friendly.

8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

All the Bachelorette parties, bridal showers, weddings, baby showers, and kid birthday parties add up. I am happy to celebrate all my friends' big moments, and I wouldn't do what Carrie did, but as a viewer I applauded her for registering for those shoes. 

I didn't have a bachelorette party or bridal shower.  I got married in a judge's chamber.  I did have a small baby shower and the only kid's birthday parties I went to were when my son was guest.  Why was Carrie invited anyways?  She didn't seem like she was that good of friends with the parents.

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Single shaming!  Yes! Lifestyle shaming!

Single shaming has been happening forever.  I'm single since becoming a widow so I do most things by myself.  It doesn't bother but it seems to bother other people.  More than once when I've been in a restaurant and I ask for a table and I say it's just me I've heard the pity sighs.  I've seen the puzzled looks. I even had one server give me a pep talk.  You are dining alone?  Well maybe next time you wont' be alone.  It's just so bizarre to me that single people are treated as though we are so different and can't possibly understand the way couples live.  

• Love 8
(edited)
On 4/19/2022 at 8:08 AM, bluegirl147 said:

Before my son married a woman with a daughter I didn't have grandkids.  One weekend a relative texted me asking me what I was doing. I said I'm shoe shopping.  If you can feel a judgmental tone through a text I felt it when she said she was Christmas shopping for her grandkids.  That is one of many reasons we are no longer friendly.

I didn't have a bachelorette party or bridal shower.  I got married in a judge's chamber.  I did have a small baby shower and the only kid's birthday parties I went to were when my son was guest.  Why was Carrie invited anyways?  She didn't seem like she was that good of friends with the parents.

Single shaming has been happening forever.  I'm single since becoming a widow so I do most things by myself.  It doesn't bother but it seems to bother other people.  More than once when I've been in a restaurant and I ask for a table and I say it's just me I've heard the pity sighs.  I've seen the puzzled looks. I even had one server give me a pep talk.  You are dining alone?  Well maybe next time you wont' be alone.  It's just so bizarre to me that single people are treated as though we are so different and can't possibly understand the way couples live.  

If I deal with a lot of judgment, the friendship or whatever relationship we have is more or less a wrap. I will only deal with you in small doses. 

People come up with more ideas of parties throughout the years, like gender reveal ones are relatively new, right? I've been invited to quite a few kid parties where I'm not particularly close with the host. Sometimes coworkers invite random people from work. Sometimes friends' friends or siblings might invite you so you're not left out. I try to feel out whether or not my presence is truly wanted. lol 

I was really fine being single until recently. So I totally get those who are happy until others start making it an issue. Prior to covid, I went to the office each day, and often had plans after work. Even if I was single, I got my fair share of human interaction and whatever attention I wanted from men. That was enough. I didn't need a soulmate or anything like that. I had other stuff to worry about. But the constant "are you dating?" "Don't you want to give your parents grandkids?" "you want me to set you up with so and so?" "You better have a man next time I see you!" It got to be a lot. Even if I'm ready to find a companion, I still don't appreciate the pressure. What's crazy is we live in this culture of mixed messages. On one hand, you're not supposed to shame. We almost shame, shaming sometimes, even when it's needed. We're supposed to take mental health more seriously, not discriminate, and be kinder to everyone. But there's still a ton of pressure to have the perfect spouse, house, job, be successful, look a certain way, it can drive you crazy if you're not careful. Studies have shown the social media link to depression and even suicidal thoughts. I think part of it must be because everyone seems to have everything, so you feel bad about yourself if you don't (even if you don't want what's everything to someone else). Shaming single people in person is really, really not cool. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 6
(edited)

There are a lot of people who need to get better at minding their own business.  One of the reasons I sooooooooo don't miss the office is there was a particular busybody who was just so nasty and in everyone's business.  It drove me insane.  I was wearing a cute outfit one day and she said "Oh do you have a date tonight?"  (???????) and one time word got out that I was shopping for a new place and she made up a story that I was being evicted (!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?). Girl, I wanted more square footage and a view but no, it had to be something scandalous like that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There are a lot of people who need to get better at minding their own business.  One of the reasons I sooooooooo don't miss the office is there was a particular busybody who was just so nasty and in everyone's business.  It drove me insane.  I was wearing a cute outfit one day and she said "Oh do you have a date tonight?"  (???????) and one time word got out that I was shopping for a new place and she made up a story that I was being evicted (!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?). Girl, I wanted more square footage and a view but no, it had to be something scandalous like that.

I've dealt with similar comments regarding outfits! I just started dressing up more. lol People are so nosy sometimes. And gossips are the worst. I bet it was just someone jealous of you. There was this really pretty lady at the last place I worked. This other woman spread a bunch of gossip about her doing drugs. Whether it was true or not, WHY?! So wrong. 

I get along with most people, and I generally like my coworkers. Working remotely for the most part, it can be nice to see them when I go into the office. But I recently had one once again inquire about my sex life. Whatever I'm doing (or not doing) is not his business. I'm also the favorite at my job, and that ticks off some of the others. Stuff like that makes me relieved to not be there full time. 

One thing SATC touched on that I appreciate is how single women are treated by society.

In an office environment, if you're single and not unfortunate looking, there's more pressure than if you're a happily married lady. If you're not friendly enough, you're standoffish. If you're too friendly, you're a flirt. The married ladies have to legitimately cross some lines for anyone to question their behavior. If you're still young and single, people like to joke you've been out late partying or whatever if you don't feel work or make it to the office late. You can't possibly just be sick. When people who are married with kids are late or leave early, it's because of course they have stuff to do. 

I'm actually quite happy with my current job, but I have been through hell before as a single woman. One man in particular was really awful to me, did not take rejection well. If I'm ever married, I'll make a point to look out for the single ladies in the office.  

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I've dealt with similar comments regarding outfits! I just started dressing up more. lol People are so nosy sometimes. And gossips are the worst. I bet it was just someone jealous of you.

Yup.  You can tell who is unhappy with their lives because they're so obsessed with other people's.  And you can tell who doesn't understand boundaries and think they need to get their social life and gossip and excitement from their coworkers instead of their own lives or friends!

• Love 6
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yup.  You can tell who is unhappy with their lives because they're so obsessed with other people's.  And you can tell who doesn't understand boundaries and think they need to get their social life and gossip and excitement from their coworkers instead of their own lives or friends!

For real! This one guy would check out my nails and ask "date tonight?" Mind your beeswax!

• LOL 4
On 5/2/2022 at 10:36 PM, RealHousewife said:

In an office environment, if you're single and not unfortunate looking, there's more pressure than if you're a happily married lady. If you're not friendly enough, you're standoffish. If you're too friendly, you're a flirt. The married ladies have to legitimately cross some lines for anyone to question their behavior. If you're still young and single, people like to joke you've been out late partying or whatever if you don't feel work or make it to the office late. You can't possibly just be sick. When people who are married with kids are late or leave early, it's because of course they have stuff to do. 

I'm actually quite happy with my current job, but I have been through hell before as a single woman. One man in particular was really awful to me, did not take rejection well. If I'm ever married, I'll make a point to look out for the single ladies in the office.  

This is awful I am so sorry! I haven’t had any too many bad experiences like this, (I wonder if it will get worse as I get older, we are about the same age) but the worst thing that happened to me was that I was passed over for a promotion, because they thought I had been sleeping with a guy they also wanted on the new team, and he was now seeing someone else in the department (several months later).

I also think it was a little bit of “why is the fat black woman getting all this attention from the only single white young guy in the department?”. I was NOT sleeping with him- he was single and I was single and we walked to STARBUCKS during our break and traded memes. I was so hurt by this although it was a few years ago. I had never had other women treat me so badly (over something that wasn’t even true). 

To keep this on topic- I know how Samantha felt when Richard didn’t want to give her the job because she slept his architect, like a gazillion years ago, and it was a PR account, not as if they were going to work together intimately after that. Samantha was right- if she had been a man Richard wouldn’t have even cared. 

Of course work places have rules about these things (for good reasons) but if people aren’t breaking any rules, leave them the hell alone. What does their dating/sex life have to do with work??

8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kim looks great, I love her outfit. 

On 5/2/2022 at 10:51 PM, RealHousewife said:

For real! This one guy would check out my nails and ask "date tonight?" Mind your beeswax!

Did he secretly want to have sex with you? The only time any man has mentioned my manicure (other than the ones that work at the salon) have either been gay, or wanted to hold my hand in a dating aspect “your hands are so soft and pretty” type of thing. 

• Love 3
(edited)

if she had been a man Richard wouldn’t have even cared. 

Not true at all.

He would have at least high fived him and maybe bought him a drink.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Not true at all.

You are RIGHT! He would’ve PRAISED a man in that position not punished him by denying him a job he was qualified for and would won regardless. 

• Love 5
On 5/7/2022 at 10:53 AM, Hiyo said:

Not true at all.

That's why I LOVED Sam telling Richard just that, right then and there "If I were a guy, you would've shaken my hand, bought me a Scotch and given me a key to an office." Of all the ladies, I love that they showed Sam facing workplace misogyny, and her dealing with it IMMEDIATELY in the moment 

• Love 7
On 2/9/2022 at 10:56 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The story was stereotypical though. It was ALL about how Chivon was Black.  Chivon had to introduce her to rap music (EYEROLL) and his sister didn't want Chivon to date her.  Then they gave Chivon all of this stereotypical language : "Yo yo, let's keep it real, let's keep it real!"

Blair was very smart to turn that down.  But I don't blame the actor who played Chivon either because that's a major part for a not known Black actor to get.

Having watched the show when it originally aired, THIS episode nearly made me stop watching. I didn't even have a problem with Sam (as I loved the chemistry with her and Chivon, and he was one of the few men she encountered who wasn't intimidated by her independence and sexuality)...my problem with the episode was everything else. Adina as the "angry Black woman" stereotype, the looks of aghast by the girls when Sam announced she was seeing Chivon (Charlotte immediately fetishizing Chivon and Carrie's NAUSEATING "talk about Affirmative Action" line 🙄), etc. As a Black SATC fan, that episode was highly insulting

I remember thinking when Blair Underwood's character was introduced in Season 6, "if they treat him like they did Chivon in Season 3, I'm done with the show". Thankfully, the writers and producers learned their lesson somewhat from by the time Dr Robert Leeds hit the canvas 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I always liked Miranda and Robert together.  They bonded over Jules and Mimi!  That's all Miranda ever really wanted - someone she could hang out with and be herself.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 6
Just now, izabella said:

I always liked Miranda and Robert together.  They bonded over Jules and Mimi!  That's all Miranda ever really wanted - someone she could hang out with and be herself.

I liked them together to. I think in a world where Miranda never conceived Brady she likely would've ended up with Robert. Maybe not forever, but a few years.

• Love 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, BlueMoon81 said:

Adina as the "angry Black woman" stereotype,

And Sundra Oakley is clearly a very good actor.  Because on her season of Survivor, (Season 13), she is as soft as can be.  She was quiet, sweet, and smiley.

images.jpeg MV5BNTk2NzQ2MDc0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzE0Nzg0MjE@._V1_QL75_UY281_CR93,0,190,281_.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, izabella said:

So did I.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, izabella said:

What I'd personally love is someone I could hang out and be myself with PLUS chemistry. I tend to either feel safe/comfortable with a guy OR have chemistry. Miranda had both with Robert. He was that rare combo-good, sweet guy but also fun and sexy. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

What I'd personally love is someone I could hang out and be myself with PLUS chemistry. I tend to either feel safe/comfortable with a guy OR have chemistry. Miranda had both with Robert. He was that rare combo-good, sweet guy but also fun and sexy. 

That’s the sweet spot isn’t it?

I actually liked Carrie with Berger, and thought that could’ve worked but they writers wanted to break them up for the grand Petrovsky romance and the reconciliation with Big. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

There are aspects I enjoy about the Berger-Carrie romance - but honestly the Aleks-Carrie romance too!

It definitely would have been nice to see Berger and Carrie have more positive moments together.  They kinda went too negative too fast with that one.  I'll always think that that was a very interesting pairing with potential.  What if Carrie somehow inspired Berger to write again?  The 'muse' storyline is a bit cliched, but hey..... it's obviously based on real stuff!  People are constantly praising their muses in real life.

I just thought of more - what if Berger wrote about a fictional character based on Carrie, and painted her in a less than flattering light?  They always had that tension - remember him making fun of her hat?  Could be interesting.  Carrie always wrote about HER relationships, so the tables could be turned.

I feel like they always portrayed Carrie as someone with Daddy issues, so she always went for the 'bigger' man - Mr. Big, with power and money, Aidan, with literal size and strength, Aleks, with celebrity - all these Daddy types who take care of her in some way or another.  With Berger, she was on equal footing, and she seemed to have the power.  It's a fascinating dynamic.  It's more of a Samantha/Miranda type relationship.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I just thought of more - what if Berger wrote about a fictional character based on Carrie, and painted her in a less than flattering light?  They always had that tension - remember him making fun of her hat?  Could be interesting.  Carrie always wrote about HER relationships, so the tables could be turned.

I feel like they always portrayed Carrie as someone with Daddy issues, so she always went for the 'bigger' man - Mr. Big, with power and money, Aidan, with literal size and strength, Aleks, with celebrity - all these Daddy types who take care of her in some way or another.  With Berger, she was on equal footing, and she seemed to have the power.  It's a fascinating dynamic.  It's more of a Samantha/Miranda type relationship.

I think a more organic and interesting way to dissolve the Berger-Carrie relationship would’ve been what you suggested above. 

I never saw her relationship with Aidan as reflective of her Daddy issues (the others sure). Yes Aidan was more financially successful (because he was more organized and business minded than Carrie) but Aidan was kind of an “every man” in the way Big and Petrovsky certainly were not. I think Aidan was way too boring for her but she was attracted to the security. I guess now that I think about it, maybe that’s “Daddy issues” in a different way. Berger was just as neurotic as she was, and while of course flirting isn’t cheating, the way he was acting with her when he had a serious girlfriend (Lauren)- no it wasn’t all in Carrie’s head. 

I think Berger was the type of guy that liked the idea of having a girlfriend (consistent sex and companionship) but didn’t want to deal with the emotional needs of one. He was like Petrovsky but at least Petrovsky was always upfront about who he was. 

That’s what always irked me about Carrie- she ALWAYS wanted to be a kept woman, but never admitted it. Not that I think she didn’t genuinely love Big (I believe she did) but she wanted to be kept by him and the lifestyle he could provide her just as much. What I respect about Charlotte was that she was upfront about wanting to live a certain type of lifestyle and wasn’t going to compromise on that. 

• Love 7
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I never saw her relationship with Aidan as reflective of her Daddy issues (the others sure). Yes Aidan was more financially successful (because he was more organized and business minded than Carrie) but Aidan was kind of an “every man” in the way Big and Petrovsky certainly were not. I think Aidan was way too boring for her but she was attracted to the security. I guess now that I think about it, maybe that’s “Daddy issues” in a different way. Berger was just as neurotic as she was, and while of course flirting isn’t cheating, the way he was acting with her when he had a serious girlfriend (Lauren)- no it wasn’t all in Carrie’s head. 

Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to convey.  Aidan gives her security.  Big obviously didn't give her emotional support - but he provides power, money, excitement.  All these men "take care" of Carrie in a different way.  Aleks provides romance, for example, and definitely excitement also.

Berger doesn't have much to "provide" in that sense.  Like you were all talking about upthread, he was more like her as a person.

8 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

That’s what always irked me about Carrie- she ALWAYS wanted to be a kept woman, but never admitted it. Not that I think she didn’t genuinely love Big (I believe she did) but she wanted to be kept by him and the lifestyle he could provide her just as much. What I respect about Charlotte was that she was upfront about wanting to live a certain type of lifestyle and wasn’t going to compromise on that. 

Yes, I have argued that too.  She likes rich men, just be upfront about it.

That's why I liked the relationship with Berger.  He was rich too, actually, but he was so insecure about his success.  It's something different for her.  Actually, Aleks was so insecure about his success too -- but he actually was really successful.  LOL.  He was a tortured artist - but he was sitting on a pile of money and acclaim anyway.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
On 6/2/2022 at 1:22 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's why I liked the relationship with Berger.  He was rich too, actually, but he was so insecure about his success.  It's something different for her.  Actually, Aleks was so insecure about his success too -- but he actually was really successful.  LOL.  He was a tortured artist - but he was sitting on a pile of money and acclaim anyway.

I think Alek was so much older and more successful it just put him in another league than Carrie. He was about 20yrs older right? He had a GROWN daughter and he wasn’t a teen parent.

Life experience between someone 38 and 58 is huge. Not that May/December Romances can’t work out, but I can see that Aleks was eager to chase down the last big show because he knew he may be winding down his career sooner rather than later. And with artists like that, you’re only as big as your last great show. 

But I think season 6 was killing time to get Carrie back to Big. I wouldn’t have minded if they had put Berger in season 5-6 (but yes SJP’s pregnancy shortened the season) and then had this “dream” relationship with Aleks before the Big reunion. 

• Love 3
On 6/5/2022 at 11:37 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

This was funny. I loved SJPs hair best when it was like this, so 2000 would've been Season 3 of the show, I liked her style best that Season as well. She looks so fresh and full of life in this clip. Very charming.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/kim-cattrall-glamorous-netflix-1235290655/

Kim is going to be in another show.  She so made the right decision to not be a part of AJLT.  She is living her best life and looking fabulous while doing it.  

This should be fun. I am looking forward to seeing her in the new QAF Reboot, (it just started but I was busy this weekend).

In the Age & Tv thread we were lamenting that AJLT wouldve been a great chance to show women over 50 in a positive, realistic light and they blew it. This Netflix show gives us age representation in a positive way.

• Love 3