Type keyword(s) to search

Sex And The City - General Discussion

Message added by Black Knight,

The HBO sequel series, And Just Like That, has its own forum here.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Trey, I don't know.  He's spineless.  Why did he marry Charlotte if he didn't want to get married.  Big eyeroll.  I understand where Char was coming from, Trey, not so much.

I think Trey liked the idea of having a long term companion and faced a lot of social pressure to get married. Charlotte fit the bill. 

I do agree though that he shouldn’t have married her. I would like to think that it was more like a Big & Natasha situation with Trey being a much more morally upstanding guy than Big was. Trey comes across this gorgeous lovely woman (Charlotte) and starts dating her, knows she wants to get married so he goes along with it. I think Big proposed to Natasha because he liked having her around and thought she would move on if he didn’t insinuate marriage was on the table. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Trey being a much more morally upstanding guy than Big was.

He sure as hell was kinder. And I got to see Charlotte change their apartment from Bunny Traditional to Me Covet. 

Otoh, Trey and Bunny sitting by the tub. WTF? WTH? Weird AF. Trey can insist all day that's their special time together, because it always has been, but that just made it worse. Imagine--Trey having problems getting an erection . 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, buttersister said:

He sure as hell was kinder. And I got to see Charlotte change their apartment from Bunny Traditional to Me Covet. 

Otoh, Trey and Bunny sitting by the tub. WTF? WTH? Weird AF. Trey can insist all day that's their special time together, because it always has been, but that just made it worse. Imagine--Trey having problems getting an erection . 

Trey just creeped me out as a character guys.

I get that he was a handsome doctor and meant well. But he was just SO weird. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Trey just creeped me out as a character guys.

I get that he was a handsome doctor and meant well. But he was just SO weird. 

He was a little socially awkward. He was able to get away with that because he was a smart WASP who wasn’t an asshole, but yeah I think he was socially awkward. I wasn’t surprised he was still single. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

He was a little socially awkward. He was able to get away with that because he was a smart WASP who wasn’t an asshole, but yeah I think he was socially awkward. I wasn’t surprised he was still single. 

I was just going to say he was supposed to represent this total WASP stereotype. Charlotte was too but with Trey they took it even farther.  Definitely a momma's boy and no wonder his ideas of sex were screwed up with a mother like that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 10

I've made this complaint before, but it's like the second tier characters on the show get a family, but not the four main women.  Stanford, Trey, Steve.  Think about how much we know about THEIR families yet don't know about the main four women.  It would have been nice to see Charlotte's (hot) brother Wesley come back and support her through this tough time.  Then again, she probably didn't want Sam trying to hit it again 😄

We've even seen Big's mother.  We've seen none of the four women's parents.  I think we briefly saw Aidan's but it was very brief.

It's like the writers all had major issues with their own family, but clearly knew that family was a big influence on character which is why they kept introducing all these eccentric mother characters.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, andromeda331 said:

Didn't Trey's brother also had issues? Charlotte kissing the gardner made her MacDougall? Bunny messed up both of her kids. 

I'd hate to have that woman as my mother in law. Weird, rude, racist, just the worst. 

40 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I've made this complaint before, but it's like the second tier characters on the show who get a family, but not the four main women.  Stanford, Trey, Steve.  Think about how much we know about THEIR families yet don't know about the main four women.  It would have been nice to see Charlotte's (hot) brother Wesley come back and support her through this tough time.  Then again, she probably didn't want Sam trying to hit it again 😄

We've even seen Big's mother.  We've seen none of the four women's parents.  I think we briefly saw Aidan's but it was very brief.

It's like the writers all had major issues with their own family, but clearly knew that family was a big influence on character which is why they kept introducing all these eccentric mother characters.

100% I LOVE SATC, but this was a huge error. 

I definitely think people who have major family issues tend to invest more in their friendships. We never even got that information though. If all the girls were more or less estranged from their families, they could have given us that message too. It was just all mysterious. There were lots of opportunities for family to show up too-weddings, babies, cancer battles, etc. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

100% I LOVE SATC, but this was a huge error. 

I definitely think people who have major family issues tend to invest more in their friendships. We never even got that information though. If all the girls were more or less estranged from their families, they could have given us that message too. It was just all mysterious. There were lots of opportunities for family to show up too-weddings, babies, cancer battles, etc. 

I think the show runners said that they didn’t bring in any family members for the main women because they wanted to focus on the friendships, but they did it to an EXTREME. 

Miranda’s brother didn’t show up to visit after she had Brady or when she got married? Don’t tell me Samantha didn’t have any younger cousins who thought she was the coolest thing walking and would come visit in NYC?

I would think each lady could’ve had a reoccurring family member that popped in once or twice a season for continuity. 

• Love 10

Exactly. None of us watched for a family show, but having family members appear now and then would have added so much.

Was Carrie's mom neurotic? Was Charlotte a daddy's girl? What were Mirandas siblings like? Was Samantha's family more traditional or more like her? 

• Love 9

Trey.

OMG was that some shitty writing, or what? Trey's interest in having a child was so surface and so fleeting that at  the first sign of Charlotte being a little more emotional than usual while on bloody Estrogen shots...  that's it. Done. Over. Doesn't even want to talk about adoption.

He said: I'd be alright if it was just the two of us, but I don't think you would be. (paraphrasing)

Yet the prenup Charlotte had Miranda look over specified how much of a half mil (later changed to a mil) Charlotte would get for each year they stayed married what was it after 10 years? or of 10 years?

Anyway the relevant part (to this convo) being it paid a 50k bonus for each boy child. At lunch the girls asked "for girls?" and Miranda replied "nothing".

Does that really sound like someone who has only a casual interest in having children?

2nd point. Trey knew he had a history of impotence. Being a doctor and probably in his mid to late thirties; wouldn't he have likely had himself checked out nice and quietly by a doctor he knew  prior to meeting someone, marrying them and introducing a document that has clauses relevant to her producing children from said marriage?

Then after a marriage that lasted what, a few months? Trey insists Charlotte be given an apartment that was probably worth several million dollars. Could have been 10 or 20 million.

as long as I've been alive men have been getting married less and less because they fear losing half of everything they own and some of their future earnings in divorce court.

... but Dr. Trey McDougal insists Charlotte profit by about 2 or 3  million  for each month of their brief marriage?

Yeah, sure! I believe that.

• Love 8
On 9/6/2021 at 8:31 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I think the show runners said that they didn’t bring in any family members for the main women because they wanted to focus on the friendships, but they did it to an EXTREME. 

Their choosing not to include any family members save Charlotte's brother and briefly Miranda's sister only made it more glaring that they didn't.  They didn't have to show them but they could have had the characters refer to them.   I watched soap operas for years and writers would have an entire backstory for each character.  It helped explain who the characters were when we saw them onscreen.  We got some pieces of information about the four women but almost all of it was from when they were adults.   Anything about their childhood or teenage years was usually one line. Like Samantha saying she flirted with a boy so she could swim in his family's pool.  

With regards to Trey I think he was example of be careful what  you wish for because you just might get it. Charlotte thought she had finally found her prince but he turned out to be a frog.  However if not for that marriage she never would have met Harry. Sometimes things do work out the way they are supposed to.   

19 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The writers were so stubborn.  

They absolutely were about a lot of things.  I remember reading in one of the SATC books that the episodes were written and filmed a long time before they aired. So any negative feedback they heard was irrelevant because they weren't going to be able to change anything. Unless they dealt with it the next season.  Which they never did.  Case in point Carrie browbeating Charlotte into her selling her ring and giving the money to Carrie. Four episodes later Carrie gets her book offer. Perfect opportunity for Carrie to mention she paid or is paying Charlotte back but we never hear another word about it.  

• Love 9
38 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

They absolutely were about a lot of things.  I remember reading in one of the SATC books that the episodes were written and filmed a long time before they aired. So any negative feedback they heard was irrelevant because they weren't going to be able to change anything. Unless they dealt with it the next season.  Which they never did.  Case in point Carrie browbeating Charlotte into her selling her ring and giving the money to Carrie. Four episodes later Carrie gets her book offer. Perfect opportunity for Carrie to mention she paid or is paying Charlotte back but we never hear another word about it.  

Good point!

Sometimes when you deliberately try to please audiences it doesn't work , but like with many things, SATC went TOO far with not trying to please the audience.  

There was so much criticism of Jennifer Hudson being a trope in the first movie, a kind of Black Savior to Carrie.  What do they do for the next movie?  They go to the Middle East and mock all of their customs.  Um........ how is that better?

And we all know how the writers treated Samantha, a fan favourite.  When the writing and producing is so bad that one of your four major stars actually leaves and would rather earn no money than work with you........ maybe you're doing something wrong?

I will say that Season 6 is a major improvement over Season 5, major, major, major.  From the worst season to one of the best.  And I do love that first movie....... for the most part.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There was so much criticism of Jennifer Hudson being a trope in the first movie, a kind of Black Savior to Carrie.  What do they do for the next movie?  They go to the Middle East and mock all of their customs.  Um........ how is that better?

Jennifer Hudson’s character was a caricature, and the second movie was abysmal. A “vacation high jinx” movie would’ve been fine, but no need to insult the intelligence of well loved characters like Samantha AND the culture of Abu Dubai. Miranda was the only one who acted like she had any sense when they traveled there. She actually read books on the culture and had such beautiful outfits. Ugh!

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I will say that Season 6 is a major improvement over Season 5, major, major, major.  From the worst season to one of the best.  And I do love that first movie....... for the most part.

I wonder if SATC was being filmed now they just would’ve had a year and a half delay between seasons (which is becoming more common on cable networks even before the pandemic) rather than having to work around SJPs pregnancy. Season 5 gave us Harry & Charlotte getting together, Miranda adjusting to motherhood….and that’s it no?

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I wonder what would have happened that season if it hadn't been shortened.

Well at least Season 6 had 20 episodes while 2-4 had 18.  They gave us an elongated double episode finale.  I will always be grateful for that.  

• Love 3
Just now, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well at least Season 6 had 20 episodes while 2-4 had 18.  They gave us an elongated double episode finale.  I will always be grateful for that.  

That makes me think the first part of season 6 might have been the end of season 5.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, T Summer said:

Yet the prenup Charlotte had Miranda look over specified how much of a half mil (later changed to a mil) Charlotte would get for each year they stayed married what was it after 10 years? or of 10 years?

Anyway the relevant part (to this convo) being it paid a 50k bonus for each boy child. At lunch the girls asked "for girls?" and Miranda replied "nothing".

I assumed the prenuptial came from Bunny and the family lawyers and was modeled on the standard prenuptial for the family, and Trey basically had nothing to do with it other than hand the paperwork to Charlotte.

Trey was not perfect but handing out bonuses only for sons and not daughters isn't something I think he would do. He wasn't engaged (pun not intended) in the process. He was used to his mother handling the legalities and likely figured that he didn't need to care about the details because of course he and Charlotte wouldn't get divorced.

That was an early red flag for sure, that he and Charlotte didn't discuss the prenuptial together at all. He dropped a template on her, she took it to Miranda who told her it was normal to negotiate, and then Charlotte negotiated with Bunny instead of Trey.

In that light, it's not surprising that Trey then just went and gave the apartment to Charlotte, and declared that she was to be given anything she wanted. Those are the kinds of gestures that someone who has never really involved themselves in the details of anything financial would make. His mother and the family lawyers and accountants always did all that.

• Love 8
On 9/6/2021 at 9:56 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

The writers were so stubborn.  

They were! I also think at times they were lazy and didn’t consider the intelligence of their audience. 
It’s not letting me double quote but I’m happy about the Blu Ray release. I’m a sucker for DVD sets because I love the extras, commentaries and artwork. Streaming rarely includes the extras.
This will be my 6th purchase of this series wow. I had early seasons on VHS. Then I got the DVD sets that were in cheap flimsy plastic. The annoying thing about those weren’t just the flimsy plastic that ripped but no “Play All” option. Then I received the complete series in the pink folder box set which was famous for its defective discs. Which was heartbreaking because it’s a gorgeous set, was expensive at the time and by the time I made it to the defective discs in my set it was beyond the return policy time. Then discovered via Amazon, other sites that everyone else had the same problem so an exchange wouldn’t guarantee any discs without problems. 
After the first movie or around the time of it (I think?) I bought the white box DVD’s which corrected not having the Play All feature from the earlier sets. 
I bought the digital series during an iTunes sale. 

This show (and The Sopranos) loves taking my money! 
I will say that the branding/merchandising with this show is another area I think they’ve dropped the ball over the years. 

I forgot to add that I also purchased the SATC “Best of” DVD’s. There’s a Best of fashion, Best of Mr Big, etc 

Edited by LemonSoda
Forgot to add
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, LemonSoda said:

I will say that the branding/merchandising with this show is another area I think they’ve dropped the ball over the years. 

I think this is HBO's fault.

I know someone who is clamouring for Oz to also be released on Blu Ray and it boggles my mind that they haven't released Curb Your Enthusiasm on Blu Ray either.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I know someone who is clamouring for Oz to also be released on Blu Ray and it boggles my mind that they haven't released Curb Your Enthusiasm on Blu Ray either.

HBO has really dropped the ball on so many things. 

I was really surprised how much they sit on, yet “Girls” which never will reach the popularity of SATC, Oz, had some really great merchandise. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

8 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

HBO has really dropped the ball on so many things. 

For a long time they were the place to go for critically acclaimed and genuinely enjoyable shows. Then came the streaming services.   I think it took them awhile to realize they weren't the only game in town anymore.  

8 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I was really surprised how much they sit on, yet “Girls” which never will reach the popularity of SATC, Oz, had some really great merchandise. 

HBO has misjudged how beloved some of their older shows are.  Once a show was over they thought people would move onto other things.   They didn't take into account how many times people would stream an older show or buy them on DVD.  

And as far as Girls goes I watched one episode and said yeah this isn't for me.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

HBO has misjudged how beloved some of their older shows are.  Once a show was over they thought people would move onto other things.   They didn't take into account how many times people would stream an older show or buy them on DVD.  

And as far as Girls goes I watched one episode and said yeah this isn't for me.

Absolutely! Sometimes it seems like they themselves were late to the party fully recognizing what they have. 
Yeah, the scary thing about Girls is how it’s viewed as aspirational. I cringe when I see posts “Hannah reminds me of me!” 
But Girls had 3 great soundtracks, on Vinyl for novelty appeal, collaborations with Hanky Panky, Deborah Lippmann polish, other things while SATC had shot glasses, tank tops, Dr Scholls slippers that weren’t advertised well and Dogeared necklaces that seemed tacky (who wants to wear a Park Ave necklace?) 

On 9/7/2021 at 7:39 AM, Scarlett45 said:

I wonder if SATC was being filmed now they just would’ve had a year and a half delay between seasons (which is becoming more common on cable networks even before the pandemic) rather than having to work around SJPs pregnancy. Season 5 gave us Harry & Charlotte getting together, Miranda adjusting to motherhood….and that’s it no?

The delays for HBO shows used to kill me! SATC had normalish gaps. But those six month waits felt like forever. The gaps between Sopranos season was real torture. What I’m really happy about is that the show existed before social media took over the world. Yeah we would get pap shots from the set when they filmed on location from time to time. I liked the surprise of everything. I can’t imagine what the frenzy or fun would be like now with all the media out there. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, LemonSoda said:

Absolutely! Sometimes it seems like they themselves were late to the party fully recognizing what they have. 
Yeah, the scary thing about Girls is how it’s viewed as aspirational. I cringe when I see posts “Hannah reminds me of me!” 
But Girls had 3 great soundtracks, on Vinyl for novelty appeal, collaborations with Hanky Panky, Deborah Lippmann polish, other things while SATC had shot glasses, tank tops, Dr Scholls slippers that weren’t advertised well and Dogeared necklaces that seemed tacky (who wants to wear a Park Ave necklace?) 

That's so damn unfair.  I'm even more annoyed now.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Then I received the complete series in the pink folder box set which was famous for its defective discs. Which was heartbreaking because it’s a gorgeous set, was expensive at the time and by the time I made it to the defective discs in my set it was beyond the return policy time. Then discovered via Amazon, other sites that everyone else had the same problem so an exchange wouldn’t guarantee any discs without problems. 
After the first movie or around the time of it (I think?) I bought the white box DVD’s which corrected not having the Play All feature from the earlier sets. 

Ugh I'm so sorry! I remember that set. I'm a sucker for all things pretty and pink, but by the time I was DVD shopping, there were enough negative reviews that deterred me from purchasing all the DVDs together. I ended up buying each season separately as I watched them. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Ugh I'm so sorry! I remember that set. I'm a sucker for all things pretty and pink, but by the time I was DVD shopping, there were enough negative reviews that deterred me from purchasing all the DVDs together. I ended up buying each season separately as I watched them. 

It’s a shame that so many discs were defective because the pink folder box set is gorgeous. I really wish HBO had handled the situation better instead of oh well! 
The artwork is really lovely and the extras were fun. I can’t remember if the specials were included in other sets. 

• Love 4
On 9/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

And we all know how the writers treated Samantha, a fan favourite.  When the writing and producing is so bad that one of your four major stars actually leaves and would rather earn no money than work with you........ maybe you're doing something wrong?

SO TRUE. Can you imagine having signed on to do the 2nd SATC movie with people you trusted (the writers and producers), and then having to act that drivel? The woman deserves a medal!

... and damages.

• Love 7
On 9/7/2021 at 10:05 PM, Black Knight said:

I assumed the prenuptial came from Bunny and the family lawyers and was modeled on the standard prenuptial for the family, and Trey basically had nothing to do with it other than hand the paperwork to Charlotte.

Trey was not perfect but handing out bonuses only for sons and not daughters isn't something I think he would do. He wasn't engaged (pun not intended) in the process. He was used to his mother handling the legalities and likely figured that he didn't need to care about the details because of course he and Charlotte wouldn't get divorced.

That was an early red flag for sure, that he and Charlotte didn't discuss the prenuptial together at all. He dropped a template on her, she took it to Miranda who told her it was normal to negotiate, and then Charlotte negotiated with Bunny instead of Trey.

In that light, it's not surprising that Trey then just went and gave the apartment to Charlotte, and declared that she was to be given anything she wanted. Those are the kinds of gestures that someone who has never really involved themselves in the details of anything financial would make. His mother and the family lawyers and accountants always did all that.

IDK, I have to take a bit of an opposing view on this. I too heard Trey say to Charlotte, It's standard, everyone in the family has one. (paraphrasing).

However I can't see Trey not concerning himself at all with the wording of the prenup and then taking such a stand with Bunny(and the attorney representing him) that  he intervenes in the settlement proceedings with a last minute  telegram from overseas. I'm betting if Trey and Charlotte discussed china patterns, they discussed having children.

A couple of things: accomplished men like doctors are rarely also tall, athletic, and good looking. So this good looking doctor isn't set on passing his genes down to children who will carry  his name? That would make him an exceedingly rare individual.

Secondly, while a doctor in Manhattan no doubt earns very well, he still is a person who goes to work every day. He's not one of the idle rich. Who has 5, 10, maybe even 20 million to gift a woman they've been married to for a few months?

That divorce settlement would've set all kinds of world records!

• Love 5
On 9/7/2021 at 9:05 PM, Black Knight said:

11 minutes ago, T Summer said:

IDK, I have to take a bit of an opposing view on this. I too heard Trey say to Charlotte, It's standard, everyone in the family has one. (paraphrasing).

However I can't see Trey not concerning himself at all with the wording of the prenup and then taking such a stand with Bunny(and the attorney representing him) that  he intervenes in the settlement proceedings with a last minute  telegram from overseas. I'm betting if Trey and Charlotte discussed china patterns, they discussed having children.

A couple of things: accomplished men like doctors are rarely also tall, athletic, and good looking. So this good looking doctor isn't set on passing his genes down to children who will carry  his name? That would make him an exceedingly rare individual.

Secondly, while a doctor in Manhattan no doubt earns very well, he still is a person who goes to work every day. He's not one of the idle rich. Who has 5, 10, maybe even 20 million to gift a woman they've been married to for a few months?

That divorce settlement would've set all kinds of world records!

Trey in a nutshell: alrighty!

He had a tendency to be passive/agreeable. Not 100% of the time, but much of the time.

You'd also think someone like him would want to pass on his genes, but I've known some intelligent, athletic, beautiful people who either don't want kids or want to adopt, and not to be mean but vice versa. lol

Yes, it was strange. I forget how much money his family was worth. None of the doctors I know would give that much money away to someone they were barely married to. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

What I’m really happy about is that the show existed before social media took over the world. Yeah we would get pap shots from the set when they filmed on location from time to time. I liked the surprise of everything. I can’t imagine what the frenzy or fun would be like now with all the media out there. 

I came late to SATC. I didn't have HBO when it first began airing.  The first episode I saw was the funky spunk one so my initial introduction to the show was right before Carrie's affair with Big.  I bought the VHS !!!! sets and got caught up before the next season.   I knew a little bit about the show before I watched it but not a lot of details.   If social media had been around I can just imagine the Twitter wars that would have happened.  Team Big vs Team Aidan.   We still discuss that on this very board over 20 yrs. later.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, T Summer said:

I understand what you’re saying- but Trey didn’t EARN the money that went to buy the apartment. Trey went to medical school because he wanted to, and yes he probably lives on his own salary but money isn’t a concern because if he hadn’t decided to go to medical school he still would’ve lived well. 

If Trey was a “typical doctor” I think he would’ve been more concerned with gifting the apartment because he would’ve worked to buy it. But it appears Trey’s family was EXTREMELY wealthy- there were other properties, he had plenty of other places to live. 

Also- Trey gifted Charlotte the apartment because he knew that they DID discuss having children, it was important to her and when he agreed to marry her he also wanted them. Only when it looked like it wasn’t going to go “sex=baby” he realized maybe it was for the best, and he didn’t have the yearning to have children Charlotte had. 

I think Trey felt he re-nigged on his part of the marriage- between his impotence and then the baby thing, he felt Charlotte had done her job as a wife but they just didn’t want the same things, so the apartment was a gift to “make it right” with her. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I understand what you’re saying- but Trey didn’t EARN the money that went to buy the apartment. Trey went to medical school because he wanted to, and yes he probably lives on his own salary but money isn’t a concern because if he hadn’t decided to go to medical school he still would’ve lived well. 

If Trey was a “typical doctor” I think he would’ve been more concerned with gifting the apartment because he would’ve worked to buy it. But it appears Trey’s family was EXTREMELY wealthy- there were other properties, he had plenty of other places to live. 

Also- Trey gifted Charlotte the apartment because he knew that they DID discuss having children, it was important to her and when he agreed to marry her he also wanted them. Only when it looked like it wasn’t going to go “sex=baby” he realized maybe it was for the best, and he didn’t have the yearning to have children Charlotte had. 

I think Trey felt he re-nigged on his part of the marriage- between his impotence and then the baby thing, he felt Charlotte had done her job as a wife but they just didn’t want the same things, so the apartment was a gift to “make it right” with her. 

🤔I see what you're saying, and I'm sure that's why Trey did nice things like tell everyone  Charlotte was a wonderful wife and that's also why he showed up to the photo shoot with a smile on his face and made her dream of looking  like the ideal beautiful young couple in House and Garden  magazine happen.

However even if he and his family are really wealthy, I still can't see a man giving a gift worth several million to someone he's known what, under a year?  He did joke about having to eat Ramen noodles if they went with Charlotte's first choice of china pattern... which I'm sure was just a joke. Still, I  don't believe wealthy people  do such frivolous things with money as gift N.Y.C. apartments worth several million. It  just didn't seem believable to me.

You know what also bugged me? When Charlotte said "Oh I  paid for that apartment!"

• Love 8
1 hour ago, T Summer said:

You know what also bugged me? When Charlotte said "Oh I  paid for that apartment!"

As a Charlotte fan, I think her privileged little princess self could be very annoying with that. She talked like she was forced to quit her high paying job, raised his children, and dealt with many years of abuse. She jumped into a marriage, and it didn't work out. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I came late to SATC. I didn't have HBO when it first began airing.  The first episode I saw was the funky spunk one so my initial introduction to the show was right before Carrie's affair with Big.  I bought the VHS !!!! sets and got caught up before the next season.   I knew a little bit about the show before I watched it but not a lot of details.   If social media had been around I can just imagine the Twitter wars that would have happened.  Team Big vs Team Aidan.   We still discuss that on this very board over 20 yrs. later.

Yeah but it’s fun here! I wouldn’t have wanted social media around back then to ruin the fun. 

37 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

As a Charlotte fan, I think her privileged little princess self could be very annoying with that. She talked like she was forced to quit her high paying job, raised his children, and dealt with many years of abuse. She jumped into a marriage, and it didn't work out. 

I get it too but I think she put up with a lot of discomfort, emotional pain plus dealing with Bunny’s ways. No one held a gun to her head but I’m sure the situation of the failed marriage, struggles was traumatic to her. 

Often in a breakup it’s not only the relationship we mourn but the future we thought we would have with that person. Sometimes that hurts more than losing the person’s presence. 

For someone like Charlotte who so badly wanted the happily ever after, it’s understandable that she would feel the entitlement of “I worked for it” especially when Carrie’s offhand blah blah minimized Charlotte’s situation/pain because she herself was fiscally irresponsible. I’ve always found that moment rude. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, T Summer said:

🤔I see what you're saying, and I'm sure that's why Trey did nice things like tell everyone  Charlotte was a wonderful wife and that's also why he showed up to the photo shoot with a smile on his face and made her dream of looking  like the ideal beautiful young couple in House and Garden  magazine happen.

However even if he and his family are really wealthy, I still can't see a man giving a gift worth several million to someone he's known what, under a year?  He did joke about having to eat Ramen noodles if they went with Charlotte's first choice of china pattern... which I'm sure was just a joke. Still, I  don't believe wealthy people  do such frivolous things with money as gift N.Y.C. apartments worth several million. It  just didn't seem believable to me.

Charlotte wasn’t just a girlfriend who moved in with him when her lease was up- she was his wife. (It was a short marriage and they didn’t date for a long time, but emotionally and culturally I could see that making a difference to Trey)

I could see Trey feeling very “duty bound” because he didn’t fulfill his role as a husband the way he felt he should. He just wanted to “be” for a little while- and he was going back to his Mom’s place. 

Your point of view is logical, but I think it applies more if Trey had earned the money to purchase the apartment, or it was only the second or third property his family had. Trey treated the apartment the way many typical folk treat cars- he could just go out and buy another one (in cash) if he needed it and there were plenty others to drive so why not let Charlotte have that one?

• Love 7
On 9/8/2021 at 12:07 AM, LemonSoda said:

They were! I also think at times they were lazy and didn’t consider the intelligence of their audience. 
It’s not letting me double quote but I’m happy about the Blu Ray release. I’m a sucker for DVD sets because I love the extras, commentaries and artwork. Streaming rarely includes the extras.
This will be my 6th purchase of this series wow. I had early seasons on VHS. Then I got the DVD sets that were in cheap flimsy plastic. The annoying thing about those weren’t just the flimsy plastic that ripped but no “Play All” option. Then I received the complete series in the pink folder box set which was famous for its defective discs. Which was heartbreaking because it’s a gorgeous set, was expensive at the time and by the time I made it to the defective discs in my set it was beyond the return policy time. Then discovered via Amazon, other sites that everyone else had the same problem so an exchange wouldn’t guarantee any discs without problems. 
I bought the digital series during an iTunes sale. 

I forgot to add that I also purchased the SATC “Best of” DVD’s. There’s a Best of fashion, Best of Mr Big, etc 

God I bought those DVDs (bought the seasons separately) around the time of the first movie...and I was SO PISSED when they started defecting. I thought it was something I did myself—I tried various modes of cleaning, even bought s new DVD player...and still some of them didn’t work. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one with that issue 

3 minutes ago, BlueMoon81 said:

God I bought those DVDs (bought the seasons separately) around the time of the first movie...and I was SO PISSED when they started defecting. I thought it was something I did myself—I tried various modes of cleaning, even bought s new DVD player...and still some of them didn’t work. Glad to know I wasn’t the only one with that issue 

To this day I’m angry that they felt it was acceptable to do that to the fans. Knowingly sells hundreds of thousands of defective dvds without a recall or replacement program? Ugh 

• Love 5

I bought seasons 5 and both parts of season 6 when they first came out on DVD and the plastic cases broke almost immediately. They were so broken I had to put rubber bands around them.

I go to multiple libraries and the one in my town has the first SATC movie and it never plays correctly.  I will forget and check it out again a year or two later and yep still defective.  I have told the library but apparently they don't care.

17 hours ago, T Summer said:

That didn't bother me.  Her marriage as short lived as it was caused Charlotte a lot of stress and heartbreak.

15 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Substitute moving into together for marriage and this describes Carrie with Aidan. And yet she expected to be able to keep her now bigger (thanks to Aidan) apartment.  

15 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Often in a breakup it’s not only the relationship we mourn but the future we thought we would have with that person. Sometimes that hurts more than losing the person’s presence. 

I do think this describes Charlotte. I think she loved the idea of what her marriage with  Trey could have been more than she actually loved Trey.  She learned her lesson because she genuinely fell in love with Harry the person and not what he could give her.

• Love 6

Substitute moving into together for marriage and this describes Carrie with Aidan. And yet she expected to be able to keep her now bigger (thanks to Aidan) apartment.  

Yes, she did. For absolutely no reason other than, but I'm Carrie! And I screwed you over. Twice. But I'm Carrie! It's like she was Aidan's Big, but he had more self-respect.

Maybe Carrie was a precursor to someone like House. Loathsome. But some people find them lovable. (SJP is no Hugh Laurie, though.)

Edited by buttersister
Aidan with two As
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I do think this describes Charlotte. I think she loved the idea of what her marriage with  Trey could have been more than she actually loved Trey.  She learned her lesson because she genuinely fell in love with Harry the person and not what he could give her.

She was so after that perfect marriage image it was heartbreaking. Even in S1 Baby Shower she has that wish box. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

I get it too but I think she put up with a lot of discomfort, emotional pain plus dealing with Bunny’s ways. No one held a gun to her head but I’m sure the situation of the failed marriage, struggles was traumatic to her. 

For someone like Charlotte who so badly wanted the happily ever after, it’s understandable that she would feel the entitlement of “I worked for it” especially when Carrie’s offhand blah blah minimized Charlotte’s situation/pain because she herself was fiscally irresponsible. I’ve always found that moment rude. 

For sure. I thought Charlotte had a wonderful life, but I don't doubt everything with Trey was painful. I'm just not sure she really earned that apartment. I guess it depends on how much money Trey had. That's why I agree with T Summer. Even for rich folks, giving an apartment worth several million seems extremely generous. 

5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

That didn't bother me.  Her marriage as short lived as it was caused Charlotte a lot of stress and heartbreak.

I do think this describes Charlotte. I think she loved the idea of what her marriage with Trey could have been more than she actually loved Trey.  She learned her lesson because she genuinely fell in love with Harry the person and not what he could give her.

Oh I think Carrie showed an entitled attitude many times throughout the series! lol 

Yes, Charlotte was very immature for a 30-something woman. I'm glad she grew over the years. She truly loved Harry.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

For sure. I thought Charlotte had a wonderful life, but I don't doubt everything with Trey was painful. I'm just not sure she really earned that apartment. I guess it depends on how much money Trey had. That's why I agree with T Summer. Even for rich folks, giving an apartment worth several million seems extremely generous. 

Oh I think Carrie showed an entitled attitude many times throughout the series! lol 

Yes, Charlotte was very immature for a 30-something woman. I'm glad she grew over the years. She truly loved Harry.

I also think Bunny thought she would end up selling the place so in Bunny’s head she thought it was Charlotte’s way of getting more money. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Even for rich folks, giving an apartment worth several million seems extremely generous. 

Which is why I don't think Trey ever had any real sense of money, which is what happens when everything, including all manner of luxuries and high living, is simply paid for from the time he was a baby. Nothing seems expensive or unique or irreplaceable. In that sense Bunny got what she deserved in having the apartment go out of the family. Teach him the meaning of a dollar!

There is a Chinese proverb: "from rags to rags in three generations." Trey is totally second generation (the one who spends it all).

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 9/10/2021 at 1:54 PM, buttersister said:

Yes, she did. For absolutely no reason other than, but I'm Carrie! And I screwed you over. Twice. But I'm Carrie! It's like she was Aidan's Big, but he had more self-respect.

It always bugged me when Carrie tells Berger that she and Aidan got back together "because we hadn't sufficiently hurt one another enough the first time" or something to that effect. I always wondered, how did Aidan hurt Carrie...the first time around or the second time around? Pretty sure she was the only one inflicting damage.

• Love 9

Well, you see, after Carrie cheated on him and decided on a whim that she wanted him back (after he got skinny) he didn't take her back right away.  And then when she screamed You have to forgive me at him he couldn't do that right away either.

This is all said with sarcasm of course.

Good catch on that line.  I don't remember that jumping out at me, but it should have.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
58 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well, you see, after Carrie cheated on him and decided on a whim that she wanted him back (after he got skinny) he didn't take her back right away.  And then when she screamed You have to forgive me at him he couldn't do that right away either.

This is all said with sarcasm of course.

Good catch on that line.  I don't remember that jumping out at me, but it should have.

That line has always bugged! I’m like um what was so hard? What did he do to hurt you so much? He bought your apartment? He didn’t say yes to getting back together right away? He invaded your home he paid for with boxes of belongings? He wanted to marry you? Oh! You had to manipulate your responsible best friend to buy your home? That’s what hurt? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5