Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Single and Sufficient

IT IS SEASON 6!??!?!  That is crazy!

Anyways, this was my least favorite episode of this season thus far.  Didn't get many laughs (or any) out of me.

Love how this show brings back characters from past seasons and instead of pretending they never existed (looooove the principal).

Season 6!!!! That is crazy town! 

I didnt really laugh out loud much, but I really enjoyed this episode. Honestly, now that its been brought up, I`m amazed they've never tried to put Robby and Jess together before. It makes so much sense! As much as it saddens me, I think Nick/Jess has run its course, so I am ok with Jess moving on with a character we actually know, who is mot part of the main cast. I can get behind this!

• Love 1

I admit I laughed at the I'm Single, I'm Sufficient acronym.  Easy joke, but eh, what are ya gonna do?

Nick sending his story in 100 jpegs tickled me.  So did "couple-splaining."

I was totally digging the "Africa" duet.  I know that was actually Zooey's voice, but do we think it was the guy who played Robby's?  And IDK I'm feeling Jess and Robby a bit.  I guess I have more of an appreciation for Robby (or, the actor who plays him) these days because of his hilarious- but downtrodden- role on Veep.

• Love 6

Robby? Really?

I enjoyed the last two weeks quite a bit but all this time on Robby and Jess this week coupled (see what I did there) with weaker B and C plots just didn't make this that funny. Nick's plot didn't do anything for me at all and while I normally enjoy Winston and Aly this week really didn't work either. Neither felt like a whole plot.

Robby and Jess make sense on paper but I don't see much chemistry there. For that matter, I'm not really seeing any chemistry between Aly and Winston either. 

I find it hard to believe Nick's book is any good, because when he was pressing Schmidt for "notes" he basically admitted to transcribing the events on the local news. Sounds like the entire thing is hack work. Maybe it somehow all magically works in a weird way but that's a long way off from making him a successful writer. And I think the goal of the season is for all the characters to grow up a little. Clearly Nick and Jess are meant to be end-game and the reason they broke up in the first place was because Nick just wasn't goal-oriented or mature enough for Jess so I think turning him into a writer is the show's way of fixing that. But since the book sounds horrendous I don't know if that's working.

Edited by iMonrey

What I don't understand is, if Nick's novel is so good, and no one had any notes, wouldn't it be implied that the novel was complete? So then what was with Schimdt telling him he wanted another chapter? Or is it written in serial format or something? Was he starting on the sequel? Honestly from the size of the manuscript, he looked like he already had enough for two books. I know it's just a show and all, but I feel like that plot didn't really make a lot of sense.

I think it's theoretically perfectly plausible to show someone one chapter at a time, and for them to have no notes. Nick probably uses a large font and double spacing, too, so the size of the print out is credible in my mind as well. I highly doubt that any author writes a book in one draft with absolutely no revision needed, but it's been shown that the people of the loft gang are not really all that lucid and objective about each other, so the book still might be terrible, or good but in need of editing.

Nelson Franklin is the actor playing Robbie and I really want to know if that was his singing voice because I was hella impressed (if it was). 

I think I would have enjoyed this episode more if we had seen Jess actually trying to enjoy being single for an episode or two first

The problem is, she can't "enjoy" being single because she's mooning over Jake so the show has sort of set her up to be heartbroken until she can be with him. And efforts to show her moving on or trying to get over him seem pointless to me when clearly they are meant to be the end-game. 

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think it's theoretically perfectly plausible to show someone one chapter at a time, and for them to have no notes. Nick probably uses a large font and double spacing, too, so the size of the print out is credible in my mind as well. I highly doubt that any author writes a book in one draft with absolutely no revision needed, but it's been shown that the people of the loft gang are not really all that lucid and objective about each other, so the book still might be terrible, or good but in need of editing.

But now that I think of it, it was pretty clearly implied that he had finished the first draft of the book in the first episode of the season. Near the end of the episode, he says to Jess, "It's my book!," which would imply to me that it was a completed book. Also, we can see the pages enough at one point to know that he didn't use a large font or double spacing. I know in this case it's just a prop and not something I should really care about, but I do think that the plot set up was that Nick wrote the first draft of a book (note also that Winston and Allie had gotten to the end of what seemed like a major plot in the book, the identity of the murderer), and then Schimdt told him to write another chapter.

If they had set it up so that he had written a chapter, been told how great it was, and then felt paralyzed to write more, I totally would have gotten it. However, that's not what had been set up. If they want to turn him into a published author by the end of this season, they could have done something going down that path, like everyone gets something so different out of his novel that he doesn't know how to write a pitch or query letter for it-- or just flat out can't write a query letter.

I really wish I didn't care so much.

• Love 1

Speaking of implausible plot points, I cannot see Nick as this fantastic writer- back in Season 2 there was an episode how terrible his writing was, and the character was a lot smarter back then.

Edited by flickers