Type keyword(s) to search

Four Weddings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ichbin said:

Preaching to the choir!   The worst is when people who realistically cannot afford it feel the need to put themselves in debt for years in order to cover those few hours  of one day

I've seen this a lot on my favorite show genre, DIY.  They call in Mike Holmes to fix their house, and are in a panic less they have to spend money and put their wedding on hold.  Or the call in Scott McGillivray to convert their basement into an Income Property so they can afford their mortgage and their wedding.
They equate marriage with wedding.

One show I really miss is Platinum Weddings. At least you knew with that show it was going to be a bombastic and overly extravagant affair. Everything done to the nines and then some. What I love about Four Weddings is you can have the most down home wedding and reception and it can still be a fabulous affair or spend gads of money and people STILL complain about something.

• Love 1

I watched 2 episodes that aired yesterday, both with a bride named Renée.  Both Renée's were idiots, and kind of mean, to boot.  Why?  WHY is everyone on teevee with my name just awful??

I did smile to myself when they both came in 4th place...so maybe I'm a little awful, too :)

• Love 2
20 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I made sure I had good food and nice photos. My venue was a yacht so the food and flowers were package deals. Dress was $400 (alterations $200) and I did away with stuff like guest book and cake topper and had CDs instead of a DJ of some kind.

I have a photo budget too - our photographer is very affordable - and I am glad we have her.  Some people shell out so much for pictures.  When you think about it:

Photos: $2000

Venue $3000

Flowers $3000

Dress $4000

Food and Drink $10,000

DJ $1000

Guess there is your $23,000 wedding!!  These are all estimates, of course, depending on location, season, etc.  I am in MN and outdoor fall wedding venues are already booked for late September/October 2019!!!  

I am estimating, of course.  Our biggest expenses are:  $500 venue, $500 Photographer, $1000 food.  Afternoon ceremony with dry luncheon, no dance.   We are both 52, paying for it ourselves and nothing, I mean NOTHING is stopping me from booking our belated honeymoon to the British Virgin Islands in December!!!  LOL!  

lovecat, I am secretly happy when the most expensive/horrid bride comes in fourth.  A lot of money and good taste are not often mutual.

• Love 1

I cringe when you get the bride who says, "It's all about ME!" I immediately feel bad for whoever her partner in life is going to be because I think its fair to say its not going to stop being all about her after that ONE day. It's actually not about just you, its about you and whoever you suckered into meeting you at the end of the aisle and whatever future offspring you might produce. It's more than that one day that yeah, should it be perfect? Sure, why not? But all the bling and perfectly cooked food doesn't make for marital bliss. Ok, sorry, rant over :)

• Love 4

No, rant away! We agree!

I had stressed out over a few things during wedding planning, believe me, not many, though. Our best man kept telling me, "don't worry, it's all about you!" And I kept saying, "No, it's NOT!"

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I cringe when you get the bride who says, "It's all about ME!" I immediately feel bad for whoever her partner in life is going to be because I think its fair to say its not going to stop being all about her after that ONE day. It's actually not about just you, its about you and whoever you suckered into meeting you at the end of the aisle and whatever future offspring you might produce. It's more than that one day that yeah, should it be perfect? Sure, why not? But all the bling and perfectly cooked food doesn't make for marital bliss. Ok, sorry, rant over :)

2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

No, rant away! We agree!

I had stressed out over a few things during wedding planning, believe me, not many, though. Our best man kept telling me, "don't worry, it's all about you!" And I kept saying, "No, it's NOT!"

Go ahead and rant!!  With my wedding (I promise I will stop talking about it!!  LOL!) I am like, hey, it is more about YOU than me as I have done this before!!!  He has never married. I am NOT a shrinking violet (trust me on that one!) but I told I would acquiesce to his requests, as long as they were not "out there."  No pirate officiant, no underwater wedding, etc.  We were always pretty agreeable about what we wanted no major disagreements.   

And these brides who say "It is ALL about ME!".....get ready if you have a baby.  Then it is never about you.  Ever.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

No pirate officiant, no underwater wedding, etc.  

Well now you're being outright unreasonable. You at least need a pirate Arrgh-fficiant if you wanna get at least a 4 for overall experience!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I cringe when you get the bride who says, "It's all about ME!" I immediately feel bad for whoever her partner in life is going to be because I think its fair to say its not going to stop being all about her after that ONE day.

Maybe this crap can be traced backed to the "rise of the wedding planner!"
I mean years ago, you planned your own wedding.  It's a vast conspiracy with all those pricy wedding gown shops, and photo booth rental places.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Well now you're being outright unreasonable. You at least need a pirate Arrgh-fficiant if you wanna get at least a 4 for overall experience!

Oh if I was on this show I would get last place, for certain.  "The venue was at an arboretum, and the flowers were so overwhelming!  Plus it was windy....and we had to stand for the entire eight minute ceremony!  There was no music and with no music, well.....how can that be?  Her reception was dry.....how can we NOT DRINK?  There were no flowers on the table, even though it was a beautiful room with gorgeous stained glass, tables and chairs that needed no decoration, I mean, how can there be no centerpieces for me to criticize? Her wedding cake was some weird Norweigan Ring Cake.  A wedding MUST have a wedding CAKE that is three tiers!!!  C'mon! There was no photo booth, no entertainment, no games, no chocolate fountain, no bridal bouquet toss. Plus her wedding had no theme!!  It was just a simple garden ceremony, filled with lots of family and friends followed by a great meal.  I give Mrs. Hanson's wedding a 3."

• Love 2

I'm so excited, I finally got around to seeing the Vampire wedding. The look on Marie's face when the winner was reading the card was simply lethal. Just because you spent a god awful amount on a wedding does not meet you automatically win. That's the beauty of this show. I liked her venue and all the long tapered candles, nice ambiance but I just don't see where that money was spent.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I'm so excited, I finally got around to seeing the Vampire wedding. The look on Marie's face when the winner was reading the card was simply lethal. Just because you spent a god awful amount on a wedding does not meet you automatically win. That's the beauty of this show. I liked her venue and all the long tapered candles, nice ambiance but I just don't see where that money was spent.

Marie was a total bitch in the talking spots afterwards, too.  Her dress was the MOST UGLY thing I have ever seen on the show, ever.  Her attitude was most ugly one ever seen as well.

3 hours ago, auntjess said:

If I'm remembering correctly, because I haven't seen it in a while, but she seem truly shocked, and hurt, that she lost.

You are right - I think she was truly shocked that they shelled out six figures and lost.  Well not everyone loved Halloween and lots of people don't like black, skulls and crossbones at a wedding!

On 7/27/2017 at 5:22 PM, auntjess said:

I mean years ago, you planned your own wedding.  It's a vast conspiracy with all those pricy wedding gown shops, and photo booth rental places.

It's been a masterpiece of successful marketing strategy.  There is some filtering down associated with it also.  Think about proms a few decades back in comparison to today.  Now there has to be some kind of theatrics associated with being asked that are expected to be social media worthy, doing it right involves hotel rooms, limos, super expensive gowns, etc.   It really sets the path (and expectations) toward what a lot of people consider to be the appropriate kind of wedding today.   It's part of the same industry. 

On 7/27/2017 at 11:31 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Oh if I was on this show I would get last place, for certain.  "The venue was at an arboretum, and the flowers were so overwhelming!  Plus it was windy....and we had to stand for the entire eight minute ceremony!  There was no music and with no music, well.....how can that be?  Her reception was dry.....how can we NOT DRINK?  There were no flowers on the table, even though it was a beautiful room with gorgeous stained glass, tables and chairs that needed no decoration, I mean, how can there be no centerpieces for me to criticize? Her wedding cake was some weird Norweigan Ring Cake.  A wedding MUST have a wedding CAKE that is three tiers!!!  C'mon! There was no photo booth, no entertainment, no games, no chocolate fountain, no bridal bouquet toss. Plus her wedding had no theme!!  It was just a simple garden ceremony, filled with lots of family and friends followed by a great meal

C'mon, don't you think some half-naked Samba dancers wearing some birdlike feathers would fit right in among the plants?  

Seriously though, it sounds lovely!  That type of cake looks pretty, and sounds delicious too.

On 7/31/2017 at 3:22 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Marie was a total bitch in the talking spots afterwards, too.  Her dress was the MOST UGLY thing I have ever seen on the show, ever.  Her attitude was most ugly one ever seen as well.

One of the worst! She seemed to be so sure she won it from the outset.   I thought she appeared to think there wasn't any compettion involved at all, as if the other three weddings were only to highlight how much better her wedding was.  

If I remember right, her dress was the one with the big poufy skirt that looked like it has two giant butt cheeks in the back.  It was all a bit too much.  There have been a few odd dresses on the show.  The one I thought was particularly unnatractive was the dresss worn by the bride who got married in the shark tank in an acquarium.  I think her mother made it for her, and while it may have been sewn well, the design was really unflattering to the wearer and had some odd design elements including a sheer corset type top.  

Edited by ichbin
add last paragraph
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ichbin said:

It's been a masterpiece of successful marketing strategy.  There is some filtering down associated with it also.  Think about proms a few decades back in comparison to today.  Now there has to be some kind of theatrics associated with being asked that are expected to be social media worthy, doing it right involves hotel rooms, limos, super expensive gowns, etc.   It really sets the path (and expectations) toward what a lot of people consider to be the appropriate kind of wedding today.   It's part of the same industry. 

C'mon, don't you think some half-naked Samba dancers wearing some birdlike feathers would fit right in among the plants?  

Seriously though, it sounds lovely!  That type of cake looks pretty, and sounds delicious too.

One of the worst! She seemed to be so sure she won it from the outset.   I thought she appeared to think there wasn't any compettion involved at all, as if the other three weddings were only to highlight how much better her wedding was.  

If I remember right, her dress was the one with the big poufy skirt that looked like it has two giant butt cheeks in the back.  It was all a bit too much.  There have been a few odd dresses on the show.  The one I thought was particularly unnatractive was the dresss worn by the bride who got married in the shark tank in an acquarium.  I think her mother made it for her, and while it may have been sewn well, the design was really unflattering to the wearer and had some odd design elements including a sheer corset type top.  

Word to your entire post!!!  Prom-posals....ugh.  

Per Marie:  I think she was super unpleasant and hell bent on having that fugly dress.  She probably had friends who tried to talk her out but hell no, HER taste was exquisite!!  Look at the skulls and crossbones decor, dammit!

The only entertainment we are having is a friend from high school who is a professional musician playing fingerstyle guitar in the event room for background music.  No tarot card, no blackjack table, no Charlie Chaplin mimic, no magician, no caricature artist, no slideshow (God, no please!) no games,no comic, no cigar bar, no exotic dancers, no dancing Santa, no talking pumpkins.  Dang I am dull!

• Love 2

Mrs. Hanson, really? Not even a Marilyn Monroe impersonator, creepy lady hors d'oeuvre tables, theatrical stage presentation for the ceremony, circus performers, flash mob dance routine ??

How 'bout a sexy dance for the groom so everyone gets a preview of the wedding night??  Keep it 'classy' now, of course. 

So you mean you're going to 'wow your guests' by just... getting married?   That's sooooo yesterday.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Mrs. Hanson, really? Not even a Marilyn Monroe impersonator, creepy lady hors d'oeuvre tables, theatrical stage presentation for the ceremony, circus performers, flash mob dance routine ??

How 'bout a sexy dance for the groom so everyone gets a preview of the wedding night??  Keep it 'classy' now, of course. 

So you mean you're going to 'wow your guests' by just... getting married?   That's sooooo yesterday.

We are both 52.....NO ONE wants to see a sexy dance!!  LOL!  Yep, practical, mature Minnesotans that we are, we are just......wait for it......getting married.  No favors, no save the dates were sent, no theme, $300 dress from Bride to Be Consignment, flowers are under $100 (online deals...and they are real!) no garter toss, no bouquet toss, limiting toasts to two, maybe three people.  No cocktail hour, no grand entrance (we want to get to lunch reception first to greet guests.)  No three meat options, no signature cocktail, no centerpieces, no personalized napkins!  No matchbooks, no bubbles/birdseed, no placecards,no matching champagne flutes...NO ALCOHOL!  HORRORS!  DANG WE ARE DULL!!

Seriously, it is just to "wow our guests" with excellent food, a short ceremony, beautiful music and just a lovely, low key time with awesome people who we both know.  YAY!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 6
16 hours ago, ichbin said:

You mean sideshow!

You are RIGHT ON about sideshow!!!  Our event room has a big screen with a projector on the ceiling.  We had people ask us: "Are you doing a montage?"  Uhm, no.  I am not that interesting and the things that made me interesting....well I don't need my kids seeing that!!!  No partying antics from the 80's captured on film needed.  And I won't get started on ehat my fiance could have had captured on film......LOL!

3 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Aww wait, no favors? Not even a little tulle wrapped sack of Jordan's almonds? Sheesh. ;-)

Nope!!  My fiance would, in a word, hoark.  That is our word for vomiting.

• Love 1

Lol! HORK! I remember in "Six Feet Under" Claire used that word when Nate threw up on their little trip when he started having his aneurysm problem.

Well, I like those Jordan Almonds, they were a mainstay favor when I was a kid and all my older cousins were getting married in the 80's to 90's. You really don't seem them much around anymore. Probably why I'm nostalgic about them.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Lol! HORK! I remember in "Six Feet Under" Claire used that word when Nate threw up on their little trip when he started having his aneurysm problem.

Well, I like those Jordan Almonds, they were a mainstay favor when I was a kid and all my older cousins were getting married in the 80's to 90's. You really don't seem them much around anymore. Probably why I'm nostalgic about them.

I am not against those Jordan Almonds, I am not into favors.  I could wrap up some of the bills for the wedding and distribute those!!  "My favor is a bill for her flowers!!"  

Did anyone see the episode with the four "international flare" brides?  Egyptian, Jamaican, Italian, etc.  Miss Egyptian dropped $150,000 and came in fourth!!  I wanted her to place last just for calling herself a princess through the ordeal!  "I am going to win because I am a princess and I always get my fairytale ending!"  Hoark.  Her family sold off land in Egypt to pay for the wedding!  Seriously?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Her family sold off land in Egypt to pay for the wedding!  Seriously?

A sound investment.....looks like some candidates for a personal financial literacy course.  No better or worse than people taking out big, long term loans though, and there are plenty of those. 

Edited by ichbin
Just now, ichbin said:

A sound investment.....looks like some candidates for a personal financial literacy course.  No better or worse than people taking out loans though, and there are plenty of those. 

I am glad they had the land to sell!!  You are right - too many people dip into retirement or take on a credit card.  

Just watched "...And a Pickup Truck." This is the episode where the one bride, Tanisha, infamously had her overflow wedding guests put outside during the reception. Ouch! I know I've commented on it here before, but it still stings. Yes, it is unbelievably rude to show up when you didn't RSVP. However, watching that handful of old people mill about in the heat.... I just wish it could have been handled differently. At the very least, they should have been spoken to quietly instead of having the DJ announce it. I dunno, I have some kooky relatives myself & I love them dearly. If I ever get married, I know I'd have to have a contingency plan for stragglers.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, NowVoyager said:

Just watched "...And a Pickup Truck." This is the episode where the one bride, Tanisha, infamously had her overflow wedding guests put outside during the reception. Ouch! I know I've commented on it here before, but it still stings. Yes, it is unbelievably rude to show up when you didn't RSVP. However, watching that handful of old people mill about in the heat.... I just wish it could have been handled differently. At the very least, they should have been spoken to quietly instead of having the DJ announce it. I dunno, I have some kooky relatives myself & I love them dearly. If I ever get married, I know I'd have to have a contingency plan for stragglers.

Ouch  - I remember that one.  That move might be in competition for the bride who had here guests pick up garbage off the beach.  Garbage.  Tanisha is in the same league because she shamed some of her guests and they did not plan for all the guests.  Like it or not, you invited 150 (I am guessing here) people, you have enough space and food for 150 people.  Period.  It does not matter if you hold the wedding of all weddings and everyone dances their asses off........you will be remembered as putting Gramma out on the deck, in the heat, with no food.

• Love 1

I would hope they realized Gramma would show up LOL, & Gramma doesn't belong outside regardless.

It was very rude to not just be happy they showed up for them & make room somewhere. It didn't seem like there were that many extras. I wonder if they knew the DJ was going to do that. Their wedding will be remembered but for the wrong reasons.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, NowVoyager said:

Just watched "...And a Pickup Truck." This is the episode where the one bride, Tanisha, infamously had her overflow wedding guests put outside during the reception. Ouch! I know I've commented on it here before, but it still stings. Yes, it is unbelievably rude to show up when you didn't RSVP. However, watching that handful of old people mill about in the heat....

I've been to a wedding where church members have felt it was OK to come to the ceremony, but they didn't come to the reception at a hotel nearby.
Probably because all weddings had to be on a Sunday, as heating or cooling the church on another day pushed the utility use outside the flat rate plan, and cost the church several hundred dollars.

28 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I would hope they realized Gramma would show up LOL, & Gramma doesn't belong outside regardless.

It was very rude to not just be happy they showed up for them & make room somewhere. It didn't seem like there were that many extras. I wonder if they knew the DJ was going to do that. Their wedding will be remembered but for the wrong reasons.

I am willing to bet they instructed the DJ to do that as they did not want to be the bad guys.  Any DJ at any event, especially at a wedding does nothing w/out the bride and groom's permission.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

It made me wonder if there might not have been more to this, like some family history involving past resentments, etc.

The country bride was only five years older than one of her new step-sons.  That's got to be awkward.  

The winning bride posted about the experience which gives some of the production details:  http://freshandfancyblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/tlcs-four-weddings.html  The only thing I saw mentioned about the RSVP seating situation was that it actually happened as shown.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ichbin said:

It made me wonder if there might not have been more to this, like some family history involving past resentments, etc.

The country bride was only five years older than one of her new step-sons.  That's got to be awkward.  

The winning bride posted about the experience which gives some of the production details:  http://freshandfancyblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/tlcs-four-weddings.html  The only thing I saw mentioned about the RSVP seating situation was that it actually happened as shown.  

Bolding mine:  It also makes me wonder if they bride and/or groom is always going to be this passive aggressive. "Late for Thanksgiving? SIT IN THE SNOW!"  

I am about to send out my wedding invites.  I have contact information for each guest, each response card is numbered so I can keep track of who responds (numbered in case people forget to write their name on postcard response, hey it has happened!) and even though ours is a buffet, I WILL be calling those who don't respond.  "Hi!  Just curious  - can you make it?  No?  Okay  - no worries, I love you, take care and see you soon!"  No problems and no hurt feelings.  Hey this is a business deal - gotta get the numbers right!!  LOL!

5 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Yep, I would have given my seat and table to someone older, and certainly the GRANDMOTHER for goodness sakes!!!

I do find it odd the reason some people have told me they can't come:  "My daughter has a soccer game."  Seriously?  My son played competitive soccer for many years and aren't there like, oh I don't know....twenty five or so games in the season??  LOL!  Just say you have another family commitment (white lie, I don't care!) but a soccer game?

• Love 1

I couldn't sleep last night, so I turned on the TV just in time to see the Marie's Vampire Wedding. I had read about her stank attitude before, but this was my first opportunity to see what all the talk was about. What an awful dress on an even awful-ler bride! I just loved how she proclaimed if she didn't win the other brides were "idiots" then to see the look on her face when her husband didn't get out of the limo was priceless. What was even more satisfying was to see she ended up dead last with an incredibly low 61 points! (is that an all-time record low?) It just proves that a huge budget doesn't necessarily translate into a great wedding that your guests will remember for the right reasons.  It didn't help that she looks exactly like a woman I used to work with who was equally unlikable. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

I couldn't sleep last night, so I turned on the TV just in time to see the Marie's Vampire Wedding. I had read about her stank attitude before, but this was my first opportunity to see what all the talk was about. What an awful dress on an even awful-ler bride! I just loved how she proclaimed if she didn't win the other brides were "idiots" then to see the look on her face when her husband didn't get out of the limo was priceless. What was even more satisfying was to see she ended up dead last with an incredibly low 61 points! (is that an all-time record low?) It just proves that a huge budget doesn't necessarily translate into a great wedding that your guests will remember for the right reasons.  It didn't help that she looks exactly like a woman I used to work with who was equally unlikable. 

I, too, was elusive on sleep and turned the tv on but alas, I fell asleep before her horrid ending.  I would love to tell you her score of 61 was a record low but sadly I have seen a mid-50's score on this wedding.  Her dress was beyond ugly, wasn't it? There was another bride, Dayanna, whose family spent $150,000 and she too came in last.  Guess you should have banked a little for that honeymoon and NOT had dancers, a photo booth, and a ten tier cake!!!

On 8/23/2014 at 0:03 AM, VillaVillekulla said:

I agree! I've talked weddings with my best friend before (I'm not engaged or actively planning one yet, but I watch all the shows) and I've told her basically this, that I don't get the point of having an over-the-top 'theme' wedding. Her response was, "Exactly! How about a wedding-themed wedding, like, 'I'm getting f*cking married' theme?"

So now, when the time comes, that will be my theme -- I'm getting f*cking married.

Bolding mine:  I should tell people that is my theme!!  Getting married!!  The whole theme thing sounds exhausting!!!  You have to match every damn detail!!  Let's say you love elephants....fine.  You want elephants as your theme.  (Hey weirder things has been shown on this show) I can promise that by the time you get married you will NEVER want to look at another elephant again.

We are not doing unity candle, sand ceremony.....we are getting married for goodness sake!!  Isn't that unity enough?

Also - can someone please link, paste a photo....SOMETHING of BLAN bride?  I have no idea who she is!!!  Thanks!!  Was she worse than Marie?

Thanks, I seem to recall a score in the mid 50s too. The best part of Marie's loss is that it wasn't even close! I'll look for BLAN bride...

edited to update: Here you go, Mrs. Hanson! It was an episode called "Four Weddings and a Giraffe" first aired in January, 2013. http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/four-weddings/about-the-show/four-weddings-giraffe-bride-guide/

edited yet again when I found this interesting tidbit. The BLAN episode first aired January 10, 2013 and Marie's "FW & Dracula's Castle" aired exactly one week later. Season 7 must have been a doozy! 

Edited by magemaud
14 hours ago, magemaud said:

Thanks, I seem to recall a score in the mid 50s too. The best part of Marie's loss is that it wasn't even close! I'll look for BLAN bride...

edited to update: Here you go, Mrs. Hanson! It was an episode called "Four Weddings and a Giraffe" first aired in January, 2013. http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/four-weddings/about-the-show/four-weddings-giraffe-bride-guide/

edited yet again when I found this interesting tidbit. The BLAN episode first aired January 10, 2013 and Marie's "FW & Dracula's Castle" aired exactly one week later. Season 7 must have been a doozy! 

Wow!  Thank you!  I do not remember her at all.  I see from the link she bought her dress from the American Cancer Society.  I thought - "This can't be her, she must have a kind heart to shop this way, to buy a used dress."  Judging from all the comments here.....guess I was eighty shades of wrong!  Hmmm......it is a rainy Sunday and I have to go back to work tomorrow, so I watch it in youtube for $1.99??  I don't have a DVR to catch it on a rerun someday.....

Edited to add this gem from another wedding board with a review of the episode:

Christine was deliberately low-balling the other brides. When she couldn’t come up with a valid complaint she complained that one of the brides could have provided dental floss in the bathrooms for the guests because the food stuck in her teeth. I understand the food getting stuck in her teeth because her teeth look rat-like but that’s all the more reason for HER to always have her own floss in her purse. She deserved to come in last.

Seriously?  She was complaining about not providing FLOSS?  The stuff that my now 18 year old son used to carry with him when he was 12?  Ugh.

If I served a plated meal I would never serve steak.  I like it rare, still moo-ing, actually, and the thought of people bitching about steak would be difficult,  Plus as generous as my soon to be hubby is he would never spring for ribeye for 50 people!!!  LOL!  "Order ribeye and then prepare it well done?  Kill me now." 

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
On 5/25/2017 at 10:39 PM, auntjess said:

To me, weddings are something you attend because you're obligated to, like funerals.
Therefore:  I don't want to spend the day there.  Ceremony, short reception, no longer than hour & half, and good bye.
And destination weddings?  Are you kidding me?  Spend money and vacation time to some where YOU chose, and sometimes even get your room free because your friends and relatives are paying?  Hell no!

You should come to my wedding!!  11am ceremony, short civil service, no readings, no sand/unity stuff, lunch afterwards then we are done by 3 at the latest.  No slideshow of how awesome and in love we are, either.  Of course some people might be annoyed as it is a dry wedding but oh well.  No dance either.  I did that the first time and I am good with that decision!!!

We actually told people:  Hey you can still make plans for Saturday night - we are done by 3 or so!!  We are heading out to a bed and breakfast three hours away...so thank you for coming!!  Got a soccer game at 5 for your kid?  You can make it!  LOL!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson

I think Pittsburgh sports towel "I LOVE SPORTS!" woman with the weird Cindy Lou Hoo hairstyle is on today!  She was not so nice.  I am a die hard Minnesota Vikings fan so I would given her a three for making me endure a day of listening to Steelers stuff all day.....hey it is any less logical than:  "It is Florida, the outdoor wedding at noon was so......HOT?"  or...."We were on the beach and the wind was so.....windy!"

She was obnoxious. I'm not a sports fan so I think she got on my nerves more for that, but she wasn't too nice either. I think she thought she had this competition & was a sore loser as well.

I was kind of hoping the crafty bride would win; I think she was a close second to the yoga bride.

I liked the military & crafty brides the best in that one, personality-wise, from what was shown.

It is official - I could never be on this show.  Why?  We sent out invites to our 10/7/17 wedding and we are getting RSVP's for one invited guest (no plus one) and some people are taking it upon themselves to bring a date!!  I don't want your girlfriend, who I actually may tolerate (still don't know her though) at my wedding, I sure as shit do NOT want three catty bitchy and downright rude women taking up space announcing my wedding was a 3!!!  LOL!  Do people not have manners?  Can they not read?  Is this a midwest thing?  DO they really thin, "Hmm....it says to me but I will bring my boyfriend and his kid....what is two more?" Well when your ceremony and venue only fits 50 and half your guest list decides to bring extras now your guest list reads 70 plus people.....then it is a problem!!!  

• Love 5

Oh, the hassle! It makes you want to elope, right?

I think I've said it before, but it takes a wedding to know who of your friends and family is uncouth and rude and selfish, and who is not!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

It is official - I could never be on this show.  Why?  We sent out invites to our 10/7/17 wedding and we are getting RSVP's for one invited guest (no plus one) and some people are taking it upon themselves to bring a date!!  I don't want your girlfriend, who I actually may tolerate (still don't know her though) at my wedding, I sure as shit do NOT want three catty bitchy and downright rude women taking up space announcing my wedding was a 3!!!  LOL!  Do people not have manners?  Can they not read?  Is this a midwest thing?  DO they really thin, "Hmm....it says to me but I will bring my boyfriend and his kid....what is two more?" Well when your ceremony and venue only fits 50 and half your guest list decides to bring extras now your guest list reads 70 plus people.....then it is a problem!!!  

Based upon my own experiences there is no boundary involving bad manners.   Even if I had received an invitation to an open house it would never occur to me to bring along someone who was not included in the invitation unless it specifically said to feel free to bring others along.   

So how are you planning to handle this?  Go with the flow or tell the overstepping guests that they misunderstood?  Whichever way you go sounds like a pain in the butt that you most definintely did not need.

1 hour ago, Quof said:

It's rude to invite only one half of a couple to a social event.

I think that depends on the relationship of the couple in question. Probably yes if the couple is married, engaged, in long term relationship, or known and socialized with as a couple by the person doing the inviting.  If the person being invited is otherwise single I don't think it would be rude to not include a "plus one" in the invitation to cover that person bringing a date or friend along.  

• Love 2
18 hours ago, ichbin said:

Based upon my own experiences there is no boundary involving bad manners.   Even if I had received an invitation to an open house it would never occur to me to bring along someone who was not included in the invitation unless it specifically said to feel free to bring others along.   

So how are you planning to handle this?  Go with the flow or tell the overstepping guests that they misunderstood?  Whichever way you go sounds like a pain in the butt that you most definintely did not need.

My mellow fiance is saying this:  "Let's wait it out, maybe we can accommodate people" which is so not the point.  It is not a money issue, as our reception catering menu serves in portions of 25 or 50, it is a buffet.  So we capped it at 50.  I am not annoyed that I have to shell out an extra $15 for so and so's date, it is I don't know her.  I do not want this to be an issue as we are getting closer to the date.  I am a special ed teacher, just starting a new position - don't need this stress right now!!!  LOL!

12 hours ago, ichbin said:

I think that depends on the relationship of the couple in question. Probably yes if the couple is married, engaged, in long term relationship, or known and socialized with as a couple by the person doing the inviting.  If the person being invited is otherwise single I don't think it would be rude to not include a "plus one" in the invitation to cover that person bringing a date or friend along.  

The people who wrote "2" in the "attending" box are not in relationships. Everyone who rec'd a plus one is in a long term dating thing, or living together.  My girlfriends who are married who were invited solo:  I told them earlier that we could only accommodate so many people, they understood and were gracious.  I told my cousin, whom I love, that she would be invited but it would have to be just her.  She has a habit of bringing her grown son and daughter in law AND her ex hubby everywhere!  Love her....but no.  She understood.

Bottom line:  if our ceremony and reception sites could include 70 people, we would have planned for that.  Our sites cap at 50.  Period.  And now because you are not following good manners protocol, I look like the bad guy. 

Funny addition:  my almost 20 year old son made a joke and said he was going to bring his soccer team.....would that be a problem??  LOL!  He also said he had a haircut that day and couldn't make it.......he was teasing of course!

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
more to say!!!
  • Love 1

There is a difference between inviting truly single people with a "Plus 1" which allows them to bring anyone they want, and inviting couples.  Couples need to invited together, by name, so there is no substitution.   "Mary and Bob", so Mary doesn't bring someone else if Bob can't come.   Don't know your cousin's spouse or boyfriend?  A great opportunity to meet them; learn their name and put it on the invitation.  They are a social unit. 

• Love 1