Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Men Get Strong

I loved Jimmy in all of his British-ness tonight (Rum Christopher's all around!), but I hope that this isn't the end of his dramatic arc.  Its probably a good thing that the baby store didn't serve wine or Lindsey wouldn't have been quite so Mother of the Year.  I did love that the guy she tried to kiss was horrified by her.

Biggest laugh from me was when Paul was talking in a baby voice about suckling from her bosoms.  It was an uncomfortable, squicked out laugh, but a laugh none the less.  Ew.

1 hour ago, Deanie87 said:

I loved Jimmy in all of his British-ness tonight (Rum Christopher's all around!), but I hope that this isn't the end of his dramatic arc.  Its probably a good thing that the baby store didn't serve wine or Lindsey wouldn't have been quite so Mother of the Year.  I did love that the guy she tried to kiss was horrified by her.

Biggest laugh from me was when Paul was talking in a baby voice about suckling from her bosoms.  It was an uncomfortable, squicked out laugh, but a laugh none the less.  Ew.

Lindsey may be the worst person on the show, but I find her need for security in constant battle with the realization of what that security entails and her feeble attempts at escape lead to some of the most amusing scenes in the series. I wonder whether Gretchen;s psychologist will find a way to bill her for the out-of-office consultations or take out a restraining order?

Loved the father/son from hell that Jimmy and Gretchen met! In real life you cannot force feelings, and things that ought to bring about the catharsis Jimmy needs aren't going to do it. My guess is that something entirely inappropriate and tangential to father/son will trigger Jimmy's mourning.

• Love 1

I agree that it will end up being something minor or innocuous that ends up getting Jimmy to cry or have some kind of breakdown (hopefully not when Gretchen is meeting Cotton Candy Raccoon!). About a year after my dad died, I had at least one incident when something small had me crying in public, which was fun for everyone involved. One minute I was standing in line at the food trucks and the next minute I was like Jerry Seinfeld asking, "What's this salty discharge?" because it snuck up on me so unexpectedly that at first I didn't even realize that I was crying. 

While you can't force yourself to heal, I know that I was able to get myself to cry by doing certain things. As cheesy as it sounds, a few months after my dad died I deliberately watched The Body (the Buffy episode where her mom dies) to give myself a good cry. 

I'm not surprised that Jimmy isn't sobbing into his breakfast nachos about this though. Given the way he's described his relationship with his father, it's understandable that he feels free and happy. Maybe one day he'll feel other things like sadness or regret but right now he probably feels a huge sense of relief. Everyone grieves on their own timetable and in their own way, and I'm sure that we will see some kind of negative emotional reaction from Jimmy about his father's death eventually. 

Loved that Gretchen put on a hat to do her imitation of his dad. And even though her motive was selfish (not wanting to ruin her cruise), she was still confronting emotion, which she would normally avoid like the plague so there was some growth and effort on her part. 

Poor Edgar. 

• Love 4

Jimmy is so intellectually aware that he feels like he's got a read on his feelings, which is going to make it all the more devestating when something truly sets him off. "Stealing a Beej" was on point for him though such a good open after last week's end.

I imagine the show will drift away from it as it did last year with Gretchen only to come back and sting.

Oh Edgar, you are such a pleasant drunk, but what darkness lies beneath.

• Love 1

This was a really good episode.  I too loved the opening scene where he "stole" a blow job and they had that exchange about how he didn't need to and his reasoning about why it felt better that he did.  And she understood.  Love these two.

I also liked how surprisingly good Lindsay was at doing mothering things even as she becomes more and more aware that she doesn't want to do it.  I wonder if she'll actually have the baby or if she'll just go get an abortion suddenly.   I don't know what is more realistic. I think if she had the baby, she'd be a terrible mother and I could even see her abandoning it to Paul.  On the other hand, making the decision to have an abortion would mean a self awareness on her part that I don't think she's quite at the point of having.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

I think Lindsey needs to have the baby if only to compete with her sister. Besides, that feeling of being trapped for eternity with Paul will at least be mitigated by having someone she can shape. I foresee nothing but mother/daughter outfits once the kid can walk, whichever gender the kid is.

• Love 1

Lindsay's need to compete with Becca drives so much of her actions, it's doesn't surprise me that she rocked the baby skills. She's surprisingly adept when she has the right (for her) motivation. Jimmy and Gretchen cheering her attempt at an actual thought process was hilarious.

Edgar is going to snap, but it will be in the most Edgar way possible. I did like Gretchen taking a moment to check in with him as well as her overt relief at not having to actually follow through. She really is trying!

Loved the "Mad Men" shout out with Jimmy and the kid.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, AlliMo said:

Lindsay's need to compete with Becca drives so much of her actions, it's doesn't surprise me that she rocked the baby skills. She's surprisingly adept when she has the right (for her) motivation. Jimmy and Gretchen cheering her attempt at an actual thought process was hilarious.

That was pretty funny the way they were both on each side of her just staring her down.

That kid was so mean, no wonder they like him.

Was Vernon always this much of a drinker? Though I guess being married to Becca and losing all your money right before having a baby could cause you to drink more then usual.

I just love Jimmy and Gretchen and their dysfunctional weirdness. It cracks me up, and makes me happy. I feel like, while Gretchen's motivation for trying to get Jimmy to feel sad were selfish, I do think that, somewhere in there, there is a part of Gretchen that does want to be a good girlfriend who cares about her boyfriend. I mean, she ironically called him Sweetheart! Thats love!

Poor Edgar. Not looking forward to his meltdown (I mean, it will be really compelling, but sad to watch). And with that ominous close up at the drawer Jimmy's dads shirt is in says to me that Jimmy still has a breakdown coming some time down the road. 

• Love 1

This season has definitely been an improvement over the last IMO. They seem to have struck just the right balance between comedy and serious issues. I think it's hysterical the way Gretchen keeps popping up wherever that therapist is . . . how the hell does she keep finding her???

I'm terrified for Lindsay's baby, unless she leaves it with Paul and has nothing to do with its upbringing. 

The awful kid and his dad were hysterical too. But I kind of thought the direction they were going in was to show that Jimmy was a grown-up version of that kid, and the reason he had no relationship with his father was because he treated his father as badly as that kid did to his own.

2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

Was Vernon always this much of a drinker? Though I guess being married to Becca and losing all your money right before having a baby could cause you to drink more then usual.

Yeah he was always someone to drink a little to mutch ^^ ,dont you remember the Baby Anouncement Party there he hit the Trash Juice in the Cookie Boxes ?

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

Yeah he was always someone to drink a little to mutch ^^ ,dont you remember the Baby Anouncement Party there he hit the Trash Juice in the Cookie Boxes ?

I guess I blocked that out lol. Vernon is funny, but I can only take him in small doses.

14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it's hysterical the way Gretchen keeps popping up wherever that therapist is . . . how the hell does she keep finding her???

They explained that in a previous episode. The therapist keeps checking in everywhere on Foursquare "like it's 2009."

• Love 1

As juvenile as it may be, can I just say that may be the single funniest fart I've ever seen put to film. I absolutely lost my shit (pun intended). Caught me off guard and had to rewind multiple times to get the dialogue after it because I was crying each time.

I'm enjoying this season more than last year which devolved into all depression all the time.