Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Unexpected

When a bomb explodes outside the hospital, TC (Eoin Macken), Topher (Ken Leung) and Drew (Brendan Fehr) are forced to make the tough decision to stay and treat the injured or evacuate and begin transfers to nearby hospitals. Everything changes when TC suddenly realizes he may know the person responsible for the explosion. While the team works feverishly to tend to the wounded, the nurses go on strike just when the hospital needs them the most. Meanwhile, throughout the intense night shift, Shannon (Tanaya Beatty) and Paul (Robert Bailey, Jr.) attempt to confront each other about something personal.

Good: not making the bomber politically motivated

bad: pretty much everything else. 

The anvils are raining down on the idea of Drew adopting. I was a little worried for Chyna McClains soccer player life. I kept thinking she would die on the CF girl would get the lungs. But as soon as the X-ray showed the mass, I figured Amanda Detmers bomber would be the donor. Good on the show for not going that way. Althoughs she could get lungs next week. 

So I guess we're going down the Saint Elsewhere route of "the hospital is going to close!" for the rest of the season.

Where the hell was Rick?  Even a mention?  Janet too, for that matter, but Rick is supposed to work for/with the SWAT team, no?

I don't like the phrase "jump the shark," but I think "terrorist bombing takes out the ER" might be a bit ridiculous even by this show's standards.

The hospital pharmacy keeps a lot more Cipro, Levaquin, and Avelox in stock that I would have thought.  And anthrax doesn't work that way.

I'm at the point where I don't care if this show doesn't get renewed.  The only characters I care about are Topher and Drew but that's not enough for me to continue watching.

And I'm sorry but I'm tired of scenes of Drew mooning over the sick little girl.

14 hours ago, Sandman said:

I hope the show wasn't expecting me to have even the tiniest shred of sympathy for Lady Anthrax -- because that was some ridiculous self-pitying crap.

Seriously!  If you're so darn sad that the hospital employees did their job and saved your life, you can simply use your extensive arsenal of explosives and/or biological weapons to commit suicide and solve all of your problems.  There's really no need to try to kill hundreds of innocent people just because you personally don't want to be alive.  You've got to be extremely mentally ill and/or evil to even think of doing such a thing.

And it's not even like the hospital saved her life against her express wishes or anything like that.  I guess in her perfect world the hospital would do a background check on unconscious patients to make sure their lives were worth living before treating them, to be sure to avoid accidentally treating someone who really prefer to be dead.

Also, did anyone else hear Jordan say that both the husband and the son were "DUI" when they arrived at the hospital?  Pretty sure that was supposed to be "DOA," but I guess either nobody was paying attention when Jill Flint flubbed that line, or the scriptwriters don't know the difference between driving under the influence and dead on arrival.

• Love 4
(edited)

For what it's worth, I thought I heard DOA. And the car accident was a hit and run, but we don't know if alcohol was involved. 

Also, have any of you ever actually had Turkish delight? It tastes hideous. Why would Drew do that to the poor girl?

Edited by Xantar
  • Love 1
(edited)

I also heard that husband and son were DUI (while she clearly meant DOA).

Drew was reading from "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" which is supposed to be the girl's favorite book (and Drew's, or so he said).

This episode was very akward. I didn't get at all the bomber's state of mind and didn't feel sorry for her one bit. Every story line seemed very rushed.

Edit : for the sake of scientific accuracy I listen again, she actually says something like "DUA" so everybody's right (except her) and let's hug.

Edited by Sarnia
  • Love 1

So anyone anywhere can get some anthrax to put in the bomb they made by reading the Internet? Okay then ... And Drew needs to snap out of it, talk to Rick, then chat up Cam and Mitchell about how to adopt a daughter.

That Turkish Delight candy was referenced in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" book, the favorite of the little girl and Drew. So that's why Drew got her some.

I heard DUI too.  Then I was puzzled because she said the husband and son were DUI. Why would the son be DUI?  If she wanted to die so bad, why didn't she just get some morphine and just take care of herself instead of trying to blow up a hospital.  I would think it would be a lot easier to obtain drugs than Anthrax.

The nurses are supposed to get a raise.  But why would the hospital agree to that if they were being sold? Not sure how that works...

Hopefully, the Paul and intern story line is over.

I'm over the Drew and the CF patient story line too.  

Come to think of it, I'm over all the story lines.  Then need to cancel this show and give Topher, Scott Wolf, Paul, Kenny and Drew a spin off.

Well, since I didn't read any information about this episode or see a preview for it, at least the episode title lived up to it's promise.  I was preparing for just a goofy episode, with Topher dealing with the nurse strike, everyone else dealing with the incompetent scabs, and Wallace Shawn dotting around.  Was even hoping they might slip in an "Inconceivable!" line.  Instead, a fucking bomb pretty much blows the ER off the map, and turns it into a war zone.  Nothing normal ever happens in this hospital, huh?

I have no idea if I was suppose to feel bad for the bomber or not, but if it was the former, they certainly failed.  The entire idea was unforgivable no matter what, but I thought it was going to be that someone she loved died on one of their operating tables, and I could at least see someone's grief and anger, making them loose their mind and want revenge.  But being mad at them for saving her life was just insane, and going as far as to blow up people; which she had to know would include patients and other doctors who weren't even involved in it; is a major dick move, to say the least.  I guess she was just crazy, but it just felt like they were trying to make me feel bad for her on some levels, but I can't say I did.

Glad that Kenny's patient pulled through at least, even if she can't play again.  But it sounds like she never even really like soccer to begin with, so it's all good!

Don't worry, Drew!  I'm sure someone is going to die at one point or another, giving you a nice set of lungs to give to Brianna!  That's usually how it goes on these types of shows.  Oh, and it finally hit me that Brianna's actress is the same one who played Mika on The Walking Dead, so I keep waiting for Creepy Lizzie to show up too.

Paul and Shannon are as dumb as expected.  Of course, Shannon "likes" him, but doesn't want be with him because.... reasons.  Sure, keep telling yourself that.  They'll be hooking up again in no time.

Favorite part was probably the Drew/Topher scene, mainly because Brendan Fehr and Ken Leung were awesome in it, and they seem to work great together. 

• Love 2
On 2016-07-29 at 5:13 AM, Sarnia said:

Edit : for the sake of scientific accuracy I listen again, she actually says something like "DUA" so everybody's right (except her) and let's hug.

Hee. Works for me!

I do know people who enjoy Turkish Delight -- but let's just say it's never been the most compelling aspect of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for me. I figured Edmund didn't know any better because (a) the English have some odd ideas about sweets (candied violets? Horehound? Barley sugar? Really?) and (b) it was the Second World War.

Hey, maybe that's why Drew likes that book so much -- everything on this show comes around to "Because: War" eventually.

I don't think the show is wanting to only to domesticate the gay characters, by the way: it seems that Drew and Kenny are very much on parallel paths with their surrogate children/protégées.

Edited by Sandman
12 hours ago, Sandman said:

I don't think the show is wanting to only to domesticate the gay characters, by the way: it seems that Drew and Kenny are very much on parallel paths with their surrogate children/protégées.

I'll put good money on us never seeing Kenny's charge again.

On 7/29/2016 at 10:45 PM, juliet73 said:

The nurses are supposed to get a raise.  But why would the hospital agree to that if they were being sold? Not sure how that works...

Depending on what the contract says, they may all be out of jobs.  Wasn't there a line about the emerg closing?  If the nurses aren't out of their jobs, they may have to re-apply or take pay cuts when the new company comes in.  I once worked for a place that took over a long existing contract and cut wages.  The employees who didn't like their wage cut were let go and others who would work for those wages hired.  The place I'm currently working in was sold last year and while my wages weren't cut, the other people working with me had a huge wage cut.  The purchase was for the business and not the people in it.  The new owners had to negotiate new contracts with everyone who worked here.  Only one left, but it was over a wage dispute.

Missed saying, so a raise might not matter as it may not come into effect right away, and if the hospital is sold, the new owners don't have to honour current wages.

8 hours ago, starri said:

I'll put good money on us never seeing Kenny's charge again.

You're probably right, but seeing a more nurturing side to Kenny was at least interesting, and he did seem pretty invested in seeing her thrive, at least in their last scene -- not that it means very much with this show.

("Yeah, tell us about it!" -- Chorus of Krista, Landry and the Little Angry Onion.)