Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Piggies

Manson and the Family receive two surprises: one a blessing, one a threat. As Hodiak tries to investigate a new clue in the case of the photographer killer, a series of roadblocks forces him to take a proactive measure. Meanwhile, Grace makes plans for Emma. A shootout between the Black Panthers and LAPD reverberate in Shafe and Kristin's marriage.

The SDS leader's hair was the length all the counter culture young adults (including Manson and family) should have in this show. I may have rolled my eyes a bit when Bunchy asked if the cops had cut Shafe's hair, since I can barely tell the difference.

I'm glad the heroin addiction story had some positive movement.

I also liked Bunchy telling Kristin how it is.

• Love 2

I'm getting a really bad feeling that Kristen is not going to make it out of this season alive. Anvils, anvils everywhere.

Charmain! I have zero knowledge of bombs so I wasn't sure how or if submerging it would work, but since it did, that was some awesome quick thinking. But of course the higher ups are being assholes about it...they want innocent people to die so that they actually have something to charge the SDS with. This show has been consistently good at putting Charmain in these "between a rock and a hard place" situations. And I really enjoy watching her wriggle her way out of them each time. Also...Claire Holt is really pretty. Like insanely pretty. It's distracting, honestly.

I also like the new woman cop they've added this season, Meg I think her name is? She doesn't do much, but she has a nice sardonic rapport with Hodiak.

Is it bad that I, like, kind of laugh at the Family sometimes? Cuz they are a ridiculous group of people.

In case anyone was wondering (I was), I looked it up and some guy named Bruce White was the father of Susan Atkins's baby who I'm guessing was a Family member? Idk, I wonder if the show is going to change things again and say that it's Watson. Ugh, whatever. As long as they keep the name: Zezozose Zadfrack Glutz. God, even taking the murders out of the equation, these people were the woooooorst.

Hodiak: "For the record, that is not a broad." Never change, dude.

• Love 6

When they used "Crystal Blue Persuasion" in tonight's episode, it was kind of weird for me, because I was likely listening to it off of a cassette that I had recorded it onto from the radio, and meanwhile the Manson Family was killing people.

21 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I'm getting a really bad feeling that Kristen is not going to make it out of this season alive. Anvils, anvils everywhere....

I'm afraid I see the anvils too. Love the rest of your post too, @helenamonster.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Hodiak: "For the record, that is not a broad." Never change, dude.

Followed shortly by,

Officer:  "Hodiak, there's a call for you up front"

Hodiak:  "Can you make it so there's a call for me right here?"

Never, ever change, dude.

ETA:  I can't be sure, but I'll bet that the song that Manson/Wilson were working on is the bonus, hidden track on the Guns 'N Roses album The Spaghetti Incident.  Anybody have any further?

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 2
(edited)

The SDS leader's hair was the length all the counter culture young adults (including Manson and family) should have in this show. 

Well, it's not like there were "hair rules" to follow, and some of Manson's guys actually did have shorter hair.

Is it bad that I, like, kind of laugh at the Family sometimes? Cuz they are a ridiculous group of people.

No. And I find that I laugh at them a little when they're being sensible and lucid!

Edited by TattleTeeny
(edited)

Not really liking the subplot of the budding romance between Tex Watkins and Sadie. First of all, it isn't true to reality. There is no reason to believe Tex and Sadie had any special feelings for each other, and in any case Manson forbid his followers to pair off like that. Everyone was expected to be available sexually to everyone else, a rule both Atkins and Watson were all too eager to comply with. Nor do I think Watson ever had any reason to believe he was the father of Atkins child. I think she was pregnant before the Family met up with Dennis Wilson, which is where Watson shows up. Not to mention, she was absent from the Family in those early months with Wilson, being locked up in jail.

But most of all, I just don't care for a love story among the murderous cretins. Especially when it tries to portray a selfish sack of shit like Tex Watson as wanting to "do right" by Sadie and the baby.

And I am totally losing my patience with the entire Karn family. I already couldn't stand special little snowflake Emma, but Grace is quickly catching up to Emma on my shit list. Ken is oddly the one I can deal with the most, mainly because it is clear that he is going to end up in prison due to his Nixon connections. I can totally see him being part of CREEP in the 1972 election and getting sent to jail along with the Liddy's, Haldeman's, Colson's and Marmalard's of that bunch. Difference is, Ken would clearly pull a George Bluth and have the time of his life inside.  

Edited by reggiejax
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was disappointed that Shafe didn’t come clean with Kristen about his drug problem, but in truth, that is what addicts do, they lie, so I find it very believable.  However, what I find hard to believe is that Hodiak hasn’t figured it out yet.  He seems like a pretty observant guy, and it seems to me that, even if he didn’t quite know what was up, he would least have picked up on the fact that something is going on with Shafe. 

Do we know if they are going to cover the Tate-Labianca murders this season?  I’m guessing so since we are getting flash forwards.  I don’t think we got those last season, did we?  I’m pretty sure those just started this season.  Part of me hopes they drag it out until next season, but since we don’t yet know if the show is being renewed for season 3, I’d rather get it this season than not at all. 

Edited by Fable

However, what I find hard to believe is that Hodiak hasn’t figured it out yet.  

I feel like last week there was a hint of Hodiak (that's the name of my new cologne line, haha!) recognizing that there was something going on with Shafe.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I feel like last week there was a hint of Hodiak (that's the name of my new cologne line, haha!) recognizing that there was something going on with Shafe.

Yeah, I think he's waiting for Shafe to admit it or deal with it.

• Love 2

ETA:  I can't be sure, but I'll bet that the song that Manson/Wilson were working on is the bonus, hidden track on the Guns 'N Roses album The Spaghetti Incident.  Anybody have any further?

Just re-watched, and the song they were working on was Cease to Exist, which the Beach Boys recorded as Never Learn Not to Love. And the title was not all they changed, which put Dennis Wilson on Charlie's shit list.

The song GnR covered is Look at Your Game Girl. This song was performed, a little bit anyway, in a season one episode. 

2 hours ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

How old is Emma supposed to be?  I thought she was a teenager, but she definitely looks well into her twenties.

The show said she is 17 on a recent episode - when she was out to lunch with Dennis Wilson and they ran into her mother. Her mother wished her a happy 17th birthday. 

The show is moving forward fast in time.  This season we started 18 months before August 8, 1969, and this episode we're up to 12 months prior.  So she may be getting a lot closer to 18.

I knew poor Charmain was going to get in trouble for trying to prevent the bombing; it's like back then they never heard of conspiracy or attempt charges, which is what is used now when the bomb doesn't go off but you meant it to.

Hodiak was cracking me up with all of his one-liners and sarcastic responses.  I mentioned it before in the first season that I wasn't never a massive fan of David Duchovny, but he's been pretty spot-on in this role.  Still not quite sure what the endgame is for him and this serial killer dude, but I'm curious for now.

No surprise that Charmain stopping the bomb would actually be frowned upon by the top brass, since they actually want to guys to be caught in the act.  And, as Hodiak pretty much pointed out, if she does bail, she'll never get this chance ever again, so she's probably going to end up doing something she won't like.  Poor Charmain.  Claire Holt is really selling the character.

Oh, Shafe.  I knew he was going to lie about hid addiction, because that's what addicts do.  I wonder if his wife actually believed him or not.  Speaking of which, yeah, I have a bad feeling she's going either get killed or at least shot.  Their had to be a reason for the scene with Bunchy asking her that question and warning her that she better be all in and prepared for it.

Ken now is somehow going to be responsible for LBJ not being able to stop the Vietnam War?

Well, I was too at least!  Yeah, I know that they were truly horrible people and what they did in real-life is so, so scary, but they are just so ridiculous, that it is almost comedic.  Like when Charlie was threatening Tex with that gun, and then Emma burst in.  Charlie totally had a "Can't a guy threaten someone without being INTERRUPTED?!!!" reaction to it.  It's just so nuts.  And then being based on real people (even if some liberties have been taken, I suspect), just makes it even crazier.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Oh, Shafe.  I knew he was going to lie about hid addiction, because that's what addicts do.  I wonder if his wife actually believed him or not.  Speaking of which, yeah, I have a bad feeling she's going either get killed or at least shot.  Their had to be a reason for the scene with Bunchy asking her that question and warning her that she better be all in and prepared for it.

I hope they don't kill Kristin for Brian's man pain. A dead Kristin is the last thing a junkie Shafe needs. I think Kristin knows Brian is lying. It seems like she's waiting for him to come clean on his own.

I thought the scene with Bunchy was to drive home the point to Kristin just how dangerous it is and to make her reconsider which is what she did. Brian talking about Kristin going to school full time and not having to have her boots on the ground to change the world sounded like a new way and purpose for Kristin.

I hope they don't kill Kristen off, not just because I like her and she's not a character we see a lot of on TV, but because who is going to take care of that adorable baby if she's dead and Shafe's an addict? Asking the important questions, people.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I hope they don't kill Kristen off, not just because I like her and she's not a character we see a lot of on TV, but because who is going to take care of that adorable baby if she's dead and Shafe's an addict? Asking the important questions, people.

I hope they don't kill her off either; she has a unique perspective for that era. But if they do, I assume her mother would take care of Bernadette with Shafe mostly just helping financially if/when he can.

• Love 1
On July 18, 2016 at 11:57 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Hodiak was cracking me up with all of his one-liners and sarcastic responses.  I mentioned it before in the first season that I wasn't never a massive fan of David Duchovny, but he's been pretty spot-on in this role.  

It needs to be saId...David Duchovny is totally the reason to watch this show. I don't mean that there aren't other things that are interesting and/or engaging about it; there are. But subtract Duchovny, and all those things make it just another NBC cop show.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
On July 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM, shapeshifter said:

I hope they don't kill her off either; she has a unique perspective for that era. But if they do, I assume her mother would take care of Bernadette with Shafe mostly just helping financially if/when he can.

The mother who wet her pants not because Bernadette has Kristin's eyes but because she got that high yellow from her white daddy? Spoiler just in case

Spoiler

Good thing Kristin made it out alive