Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Banished

Everyone takes a road trip to New York City to surprise Kate and revisit old memories; Jeremiah reveals his long distance relationship to Sabrina; Mary secretly sends for help from Punxsutawney.

Will watch it in the morning but if that is the case then you would think they would go in on the cost of a hotel with more than a room in it. Yet why would TLC do it or suggest it to them when stuffing them all in that 1 tiny bedroom apartment would cause drama for them. That is all TLC would want and hope for. 

I just watched it this morning. So supposedly Sabrina has the bright idea to invite them all along with her. Still seeing her not stable enough for this show. She is coming off desperate as well with the whole Jeremiah thing. She has certain things she does that makes me question if she is clean while doing this show. Some is the same things we saw with Chapel (which I hate even saying her name cause she disgusts me). I can't believe Kate didn't know all that stuff about her problems. There is no way she didn't hear something and all the other crap that went on as well with the others trying to help at some point. 

Wth is up with the girl Kate works with and the trampoline thing? Why would one even do that really? It was way to random of a thing IMO to go on. I can't imagine having all those people stay in a small place like that for 3 weeks. I'd be like see ya you can't do that. If she was embarrassed would you blame her? Yet at the same time they just show up as they did and she is still working. I get the feeling from what she said last week on SM is she wants to distance herself from this show as much as she can so she can just move forward in life. The whole boyfriend thing...who cares if she has one or a girlfriend or both or whatever. If she wants to keep it a secret or not that is for her to decide. 

That stuff with Mary...YAWN. At this point she is not Amish IMO. She can dress it, eat her canned beef and whatever but the fact is she is on camera, on SM and doing so much she isn't suppose to. So give it up...now another daughter of her's on here. From the previews it looks like she is full of attitude and whatever issues going on Jeremiah will gladly push that along. 

• Love 1

I think that Mary is exactly right - Sabrina needs support, not tough love. I totally understand what Abe and Rebecca have been through with Andrew, and I respect the right of those related to/involved with addicts and alcoholics to put up whatever boundaries they need to. But I read about this study awhile back involving mice and how they were a lot less likely to partake in addictive substances when they were living in a community vs. isolated. The hypothesis was that addiction is a social issue not a physical/chemical one. I think it was probably a little too black and white, as there are many different types of addicts from many situations. But I did find it interesting, and I do think there is something to that lack of community that can have a major effect on one using. I definitely see that with Sabrina. 

I was pleased to see Kate being so nice with her and not making her feel like a scumbag. She was crazy to let all those fools sleep in her apartment, though. And Sabrina has a stuffed duck named after Jeremiah??? Honey, he is not that special. 

Is it wrong that I'm totally excited for the new sister to spill some dirt on Reeeebecca?

• Love 6

I don't know if I believe Esther has some big secret about Rebecca.  Or at least not something wholly contrived for the show.

Sabrina will never let go of her delusions about Jeremiah…she talks as though his various girlfriends are just pit stops on his way to falling for her.  And I don't blame anyone for keeping their distance--there's only so many times you can be burned by an addict before you just throw in the towel.

Mary needs to just stop.  So an Amish community would be more upset that she entered a non-Amish church than they would all the other shit she's done on or off (social media) the show?  GMAFB.

Everyone staying in Kate's teeny-tiny apartment is ridiculous.  No one wants this part of the fake storyline, so unnecessary.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, OnceSane said:

I don't know if I believe Esther has some big secret about Rebecca.  Or at least not something wholly contrived for the show.

Sabrina will never let go of her delusions about Jeremiah…she talks as though his various girlfriends are just pit stops on his way to falling for her.  And I don't blame anyone for keeping their distance--there's only so many times you can be burned by an addict before you just throw in the towel.

Mary needs to just stop.  So an Amish community would be more upset that she entered a non-Amish church than they would all the other shit she's done on or off (social media) the show?  GMAFB.

Everyone staying in Kate's teeny-tiny apartment is ridiculous.  No one wants this part of the fake storyline, so unnecessary.

Agree not so sure on there being some big secret. More that they just don't get along for one reason or another and that is it. 

Seeing Sabrina like she is about Jeremiah...just shows she needs more help and shouldn't have been on the show. I am so with Abe and Rebecca giving her the tough love. They tried to help her out in the past. You can only do so much before you get burned more than you need. With them having kids they have to look at for their family before someone else. As Abe said it brings you down as well when you try to be there and after it all you have to try to pick yourself back up and deal with your own hurt on top of everything else. Why should they keep doing it for these people when they fall back into the same patterns? Sabrina has lapsed before. As far as I am seeing she isn't doing well and at times is coming off like she is on something. I wish she would have stayed out of the show to fix herself not only for her but for that daughter she has.  

The whole storyline with them going to NY is so contrived and fake.  There's no way that was Sabrina's idea and then everyone is like "OK, sure", drops everything and runs.  I smell contractual obligations, just like Kate making it look like they stayed in her house when there aren't enough beds.  Yeah,right,sure.  Kate isn't even on this show anymore for any other reason than contractual obligations.  Oh and BS to her being like Cynthia Rowley's right hand intern right after walking in the door like that.  Cynthia just never misses a chance to be on TV.

Just how many daughters does Mary have stashed away somewhere to bring on this show?  And whatever happened to Katie Ann?  I heard that her and her sister were in an accident earlier this year but came out OK, thankfully.  I like Katie Ann but not sure I'm going to like Esther.  It looks like they brought her on to throw some fireworks at Rebecca.

I agree with those who say that Sabrina doesn't look recovered yet and is exhibiting behavior that looks like that of a present addict.  I don't know, I tend to think there's something mental with her too but it's hard to tell because of the drugs.  Whatever's mental about her either lead to the addiction in the first place or is the result of it.  I'm with Mary on being supportive of her as opposed to tough love at this point.  Sabrina right now is too fragile for tough love, IMO.  I think that would only send her back into addiction at this point.

• Love 3

There's so much that just raises questions instead of being part of the story:  Where did they all get the money to stay in NYC for three weeks, Where did they get the money to move to Lancaster in the first place?  Where did Mary get the money to buy that house?  The answers of course are 1.  Trip is on TLC's dime. 2. I don't believe they ever moved to Lancaster, my first theory is that house is still in western PA and it's all a story. Second theory is same as the first answer, TLC paid for the move  3.  The house is rented - whether in Lancaster or elsewhere TLC has to be renting it.  There is no possible way that Mary, Abe and Rebecca bought that house and I'd have a hard time believing they're even the ones paying any rent on it.

Then there's the leaving the house - three weeks in NYC why?  It's not a new city for them and even Mary has let loose there before.  Where are Abe and Rebecca's kids (was it mentioned, I couldn't find where they said a word about it).  Who's watching the house while they're gone and what happened to Abe's job.  Bottom line for most of that is again TLC pays and the contract says they have to go.

The most laughable set up though is trying to make us believe that now that they're in NYC, with all the things they could see and do Abe and Rebecca just had to sit across the table from Kate and watch her sketch.  Staring as though it was the most fascinating thing they had seen in their entire lives.  

The only one I have hope for is Kate - I hope she did what she needed to this season, took every cent of the money and used it to pay for real school and the chance to stay in New York, get a real job in the industry, I hope she comes to terms with any sexual issues and finds something that is stable and makes her happy.  Even though I also hope Sabrina can straighten out since we know her issues are real and not created for drama I think Kate has the best chance of making a good life outside of both the show and the Amish culture.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I agree with those who say that Sabrina doesn't look recovered yet and is exhibiting behavior that looks like that of a present addict.  I don't know, I tend to think there's something mental with her too but it's hard to tell because of the drugs.  Whatever's mental about her either lead to the addiction in the first place or is the result of it.  I'm with Mary on being supportive of her as opposed to tough love at this point.  Sabrina right now is too fragile for tough love, IMO.  I think that would only send her back into addiction at this point.

Her voice is always so shaky, like she's going to burst into tears any second.  And she walks like her joints are full of glass.  Anyone else notice that?

As a lifelong resident of eastern Pennsylvania, I have to say that if Mary really is moving to Lancaster, she needs to learn how to say it correctly.  LANKaster, not Lan-caster.  /pet peeve

• Love 1

I figured that maybe the kids were back with Katie Ann since we aren't seeing her or some other sister or brother or something of that family. Yet it is way to obvious that this was all scripted and that TLC is of course fitting the bill for it all and anything else. The only way to make sure Kate was on the show enough was to send the rest to NYC because there is no way Kate would go back to them I'm sure. As well as she seems to have more going on in her life to keep her busy from doing that. I figured Katie's internship was more for show. It of course pushes Rowley more into the world of tv and her clothes. 

As for Mary's daughters...I was wondering how many more we haven't seen yet either. I think there was a few that wanted nothing to do with the camera from what I read a couple years ago. Katie Ann was very likable but Esther is coming off in bad light already. She isn't warm like or sweet but just straight up bitch face from the get go. Its a shame we aren't seeing Katie Ann so far. 

3 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

Her voice is always so shaky, like she's going to burst into tears any second.  And she walks like her joints are full of glass.  Anyone else notice that?

As a lifelong resident of eastern Pennsylvania, I have to say that if Mary really is moving to Lancaster, she needs to learn how to say it correctly.  LANKaster, not Lan-caster.  /pet peeve

LOL about the way its said. Out my way we have a Lancaster city in the desert and we call it Lan-caster not LANKaster. Yet I do find it funny that Mary isn't saying it as LANKaster. You would think she would for back there. 

Yes Sabrina always seems that way. Its pretty bad too. She is clearly showing signs of a user. Which its sad to see her that way and why I think she shouldn't have done the show. She is obviously not in the right stand of mind and not over her addiction. She is showing to many classic user signs and for someone that is suppose to be clean, I am not seeing it. Plus the way she is latching on to Jeremiah isn't health at all. Being in a place like NYC its really one of the last places someone like her needs to be in. More so because she was saying that doing the show she had to film there and then go back to counseling and visitations. So every week she is back and forth traveling. Which obviously the show had to pay for but that can take a toll on a someone like her more than it would a non addict. I am hoping for the best for her and she really does get herself together though and clean. 

Whaaaaat? Does she even have Oakley back yet? (Will the new child's name be Ray? Middle name Ban?) That girls needs so much help. She's probably having babies for the love they'll give her. If she can hold on to them....

The article said she got Oakley at the end of May. I can only imagine she has to pee clean regularly to get that one back. I think she had moved back in with her parents. Sad thing was she was in an abusive relationship and if she keeps sleeping with an abusive ex, that's her problem but she really should be on birth control. There's no reason to bring innocent children into an abusive family. 

And yes! Baby shall be Ray Bann (added the extra 'n' for extra trashiness!). I can only hope her kids don't have her last name of 'High'. 

Sabrina High Pregnant with Baby #2

• Love 1

Oh my, I had no idea that was her last name. How unfortunate. 

I do think she looks a lot better in that bottom picture, healthy. But I don't know why she'd have ANOTHER child with a man who abused her in any way. Irresponsible as hell.

5 hours ago, ShaNaeNae said:

I hope Sabrina is clean now because she's pregnant. Again. Same guy, but still not with him anymore. Sad because it sounds like she's making bad choices. 

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Oh my, I had no idea that was her last name. How unfortunate. 

I do think she looks a lot better in that bottom picture, healthy. But I don't know why she'd have ANOTHER child with a man who abused her in any way. Irresponsible as hell.

Agree, its not making good choices. To go get pregnant again with the abusive ex when trying to stay clean is a sure way to fall into old patterns. They weren't together I take it during this whole time either but just hooked up. Which makes one wonder. Last was said she had Oakley back but then this all comes out soon after. So I hope for these kids she is going to stay clean but I can't imagine it will be easy with the stress of 2 small ones and everything else she maybe trying to still come to terms with. I haven't seen how far along she is with her pregnancy but some shots of her have made me wonder if she was during filming and isn't due soon. 

(edited)
On July 19, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Lovecat said:

I lived in Coatesville for a couple of years and I think it's weird that they don't correctly pronounce Lancaster. Then I thought maybe they have a super special Amish way to pronounce it.

I asked before about the housing situation but nobody responded ?. I know for sure that there's no way in hell they could afford to casually pick up a huge house for Mary. It is very expensive to live there. Obviously TLC is paying because otherwise Jeremiah and Sabrina couldn't have just waltzed in and the realtor ask them if they wanted to do the paperwork. I was like, what? Can they at least pretend to do this the right way? Why would Jeremiah get a house for Mary on his dime and his credit. It makes no sense. Maybe if Reeeeeeeebekah did it, it would be more believable.

Also, Sabrina is probably on Methadone or Suboxone for her heroine addiction and that's probably why she acts like a space cadet all the time. I know Suboxone has street value. I don't know about methadone but if it does have street value, that means it can make you high. 

Edited by Nowhere

As you said there is no way they could pay for a house for Mary. Let alone an apartment I am sure. I doubt Jeremiah or Sabrina would have the credit to do so either. I wouldn't even believe it if anyone else had gone with her really. I can imagine as soon as the show is over she is back with Chester living. Last time it was setting up the so called Amish b&b and now she has to live somewhere else. I guess the show doesn't get that most of us watching are not that stupid to believe the crap they throw at us. Its the same with them all in Kate's apartment. I doubt they all stayed in that small place but the show paid for hotel rooms nearby. 

If that is the case with Suboxone and if its what she is taking, I would think it would be iffy about them having it in hand and not trading it out for their choice of drugs instead. If its why she is the way she is on the show, it is concerning as well because she comes off not ready to take care of herself let alone her daughter. I just get the sad feeling its more going on since she is just not only space cadet like but doesn't look to be taking care of herself at all. I know she is trying to deal with her traumas as well but its more than that. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I think she would have to go to a clinic to get her daily dose because I don't think they trust addicts to take it as prescribed. Maybe she has a TLC doctor on set to give it to her. She really is in no position to deal with the stresses of this show IMO.

My ex-husband's sister got hooked on OxyContin some years ago when it was running wild around southern Ohio. She had to go to the rehab clinic every day to get her dose of Methadone. I didn't notice any behavior like Sabrina's but the person that my boyfriend knew that had to take Suboxone acted like Sabrina does. I don't know. It's just a theory. Maybe that's just how she is.

My sister-in-law has been clean for about 10 years now btw. 

Edited by Nowhere
17 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I think she would have to go to a clinic to get her daily dose because I don't think they trust addicts to take it as prescribed. Maybe she has a TLC doctor on set to give it to her. She really is in no position to deal with the stresses of this show IMO.

My ex-husband's sister got hooked on OxyContin some years ago when it was running wild around southern Ohio. She had to go to the rehab clinic every day to get her dose of Methadone. I didn't notice any behavior like Sabrina's but the person that my boyfriend knew that had to take Suboxone acted like Sabrina does. I don't know. It's just a theory. Maybe that's just how she is.

My sister-in-law has been clean for about 10 years now btw. 

Good for your SIL. I believe she isn't in a place to deal with the stress either. She should have stayed off the show to cope with things still but at this point she hasn't sounded, looked or acted like she was ready for this mess of stress. Sabrina did act somewhat this way before now but it didn't come off as so shaky like and fragile until now. 

• Love 1
On 7/19/2016 at 11:49 AM, Lovecat said:

I've never even been to Pennsylvania, but somehow I remarked to myself on the incorrect pronunciation of LANKister. 

There's a town we always drive past on road trips up north, Port Chester. I used to refer to it as just that: "Want to stop in Port Chester for breakfast?" or "We're just coming up to Port Chester so only a little longer until we're getting off." After 3+ years of this, my boyfriend finally snapped at me "It is PORCHister!!!! Not Port CHESTer, but PORCHester!!!" I could tell he felt so much better after he said it; sorry, homes, being raised on the West Coast, these regional pronunciational curiosities are totally new to me. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AllisonWonderland said:

I've never even been to Pennsylvania, but somehow I remarked to myself on the incorrect pronunciation of LANKister. 

There's a town we always drive past on road trips up north, Port Chester. I used to refer to it as just that: "Want to stop in Port Chester for breakfast?" or "We're just coming up to Port Chester so only a little longer until we're getting off." After 3+ years of this, my boyfriend finally snapped at me "It is PORCHister!!!! Not Port CHESTer, but PORCHester!!!" I could tell he felt so much better after he said it; sorry, homes, being raised on the West Coast, these regional pronunciational curiosities are totally new to me. 

I'd say it the same way as well being a West Coaster. Like I said the Lancaster here, no one says it like they do back in PA. I can't imagine even half the people that live in that city out my way saying it as LANK either. LOL

So as a lifelong Upper Midwesterner, how do we pronounce Lancaster properly? I've always thought it was kind of like LANG-kuh-ster. But it moves quickly between syllables. No overpronounced LANK. It's like how nobody from Wisconsin pronounces it Wis-KAHN-sin. We say Wi-SCON-sin. Everyone outside the state divides its syllables evenly ;)

• Love 1