Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

I had to take the driving test twice, first time as soon as the examiner walked out I knew I was screwed. She was well known for flunking everyone who took the test on their first try. I made a right turn out of the parking lot on red after stopping. She told me I flunked right then because I cut someone off, which was complete BS bc there was no one beside me or in the lane next to me but I was so not going to argue with a highway patrol officer. She made me do the rest of the test. My dad took me to a different location a week later and I was really worried bc the guy I had been dating said there was a hard a$$ there too, a German lady. Sure enough who walks out the German lady and I'm just dreading the test, we walk to the front past some little kid who sneezed and she said "sounds like someone has a cold" I nearly laughed out loud that the recently ex BF and his buddies were scared of this woman, she was just a kindly old grandma, and tiny at that. I'm 5' 1 1/2" she was shorter than me, exbf was 6 ft tall. She was so nice, I parallel parked she looked at the placement and said "this isn't your favorite parking place is it?" then let me do it again, she didn't even take points off when I bumped the cone and bent it over pulling out. This was ummm yeah hold on let me think almost 25 years ago. HOLY FU............ yeah now I feel old.

4 hours ago, California Girl said:

Were you only six when you learned to drive then?  Because your photo looks a decade younger than this tidbit suggests.  

You are WAY too nice, thanks! :)

(edited)

I don't really remember taking my driving test, but I do remember having the simulators in high school.  I learned on a manual stick shift at the time and some of the people in my class at the time were saying how they couldn't drive a stick shift and if they had to drive a stick shift for any part of the class, they might not pass.  This was when the high schools had actual driver's ed classes and vehicles for the students to learn in.  Now, they've gotten rid of the driver's ed class, the simulators and the cars so anyone who wants to learn how to drive has to learn how to with a family member or go to a driving school.  I learned to drive 23 years ago, in 1994, but didn't actually get my license until I was almost 18 though I had my permit since taking the class.  Also, my mom was scared that I wouldn't know how to drive anywhere because she had never seen me look up from a book when I was in the back seat.

Edited by EricaShadows

Re: the Arctic nastiness

so I have Gestational Diabetes and my nutritionist recommended Halo top and the Arctic one. I got both. 

Let's just say I tweeted Walmart asking them if they knew they were selling frozen dog shit labeled as Arctic Zero. It. Was. Horrible. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Oklahomama said:

Re: the Arctic nastiness

so I have Gestational Diabetes and my nutritionist recommended Halo top and the Arctic one. I got both. 

Let's just say I tweeted Walmart asking them if they knew they were selling frozen dog shit labeled as Arctic Zero. It. Was. Horrible. 

@Oklahomama I hope you get better! My mum has diabetes and I understand how horrible it is. Hope everything is well! 

Just now, ellekotonyok said:

@Oklahomama I hope you get better! My mum has diabetes and I understand how horrible it is. Hope everything is well! 

Thank you!! Thankfully, GD is temporary and should resolve as soon as that baby comes out! 7 more weeks. I hope your mom is doing well ?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ellekotonyok said:

I'm 16 and my parents are now gonna make me take drivers ed, but honestly, I'm scared to learn how to drive! 

I was 23 when I started lessons and I was so scared at first. You'll stop being scared when you've had time and practice in the car. I had a really good instructor which helped. 

It makes me chuckle you Americans calling  it a stick shift. Most people here learn to drive a manual car.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ellekotonyok said:

I'm 16 and my parents are now gonna make me take drivers ed, but honestly, I'm scared to learn how to drive! 

I wasn't thrilled at the idea either, so I waited until I was 17.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, ellekotonyok said:

I started lessons at 14 with my parents, they made me learn on a manual car first. But they were the ones scared for me to drive. I didn't end up getting my license until 22 after I graduated from college. Since there's no drivers ed in school you have to take a 2 week long drivers ed course and do 6 hours of road work with an instructor. It's nice to go to driving school already knowing how to drive a bit. My class was filled with 17-18 year old high schoolers and since I already knew how to drive I was one of the designated drivers to all the activities. 

Driving is fun once you get over the initial anxiety. It's so great to be able to get around by yourself. Don't worry, you will be fine!

Edited by LaurelleJ
15 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

I'm in Maryland and ten years ago my brother got his license on just a small course with stop signs, parallel parking and a reverse 2 point turn, basically the equivalent of backing into a space. 3 years later when I came along, they added a road component and after the course you went on the street with real people! There were 5 or so courses they used and they would ask you to recall traffic signs as soon as you passed them. My course had a right turn on red. The anxiety!

Me too! Hey neighbor! (lol)

2 hours ago, LaurelleJ said:

I started lessons at 14 with my parents, they made me learn on a manual car first. But they were the ones scared for me to drive. I didn't end up getting my license until 22 after I graduated from college. Since there's no drivers ed in school you have to take a 2 week long drivers ed course and do 6 hours of road work with an instructor. It's nice to go to driving school already knowing how to drive a bit. My class was filled with 17-18 year old high schoolers and since I already knew how to drive I was one of the designated drivers to all the activities. 

Driving is fun once you get over the initial anxiety. It's so great to be able to get around by yourself. Don't worry, you will be fine!

Literally same. I was in there like "can I gooooooooooooooooooo?!?!" lol

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

I wasn't thrilled at the idea either, so I waited until I was 17.

Same! I was 18 and a senior in high school. My mom literally picked me up from school and said, "I'm done picking you up and taking you."  She drove directly to the DMV and made me take the test. That was it. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Ante said:

Same! I was 18 and a senior in high school. My mom literally picked me up from school and said, "I'm done picking you up and taking you."  She drove directly to the DMV and made me take the test. That was it. 

I was such a little contrary brat to my mother that I love seeing stories of people who actually listen haha.  I once went to a woman for my hair who told me she always listened to her mother, and her mother wanted her to be a nurse, so that was that.  After one year in school she worked up the nerve to tell her mother she hated it and wanted to be a hair stylist, and the rest is history :)

they forced my brother to get his license, signed him up for driving school and making him drive. With me it was the complete opposite. I wanted to get my license at 16 but they wouldn't let me because my brother was 22 and didn't have his yet. If I hadn't went out and did everything on my own I still may not have it at 30!

• Love 1

it's interesting to me how many people didn't get their license at 16 (my hubby didn't) I was the last to turn 16 in my group of friends and the first to get a license. As a matter of fact I took one of my friends to take her written test when she finally passed it on the fourth try (She was not a great student back then which is hilarious to me bc she now teaches college) it took her three tries to pass the driving test. Needless to say she's not the best driver, funniest memory was the time she called me and told me she'd gotten two tickets in the same night in the same intersection 20 min apart. smh yeah the rest of us did most of the driving bc we didn't want to get in a car with her LOL

On another note, taking kiddo to orchestra camp this morning and he hooks up his phone to the car stereo and turns on Everything Is Awesome from the Lego Movie and I'm sitting there thinking I'd kill to see the DCC dance to that song.

• Love 1

Don't feel bad I did get my license until I was 36. I did try to learn before, but I would get nervous and scared. I think a big part of it was the fact I was hit by a car before my fourth birthday causing me to almost lose my left kidney (small laceration,) spent two weeks in the hospital and was lucky I survived. My husband was the one who was brave enough to teach me. The first time I drove a car a sheriff deputy stopped to see if everything was alright because we were pulled over on a dirt road near our house. My husband laughed and said I was learning to drive. They both smiled and laughed, and I was a nervous wreck because I already made contact with a deputy without driving one mile. A year later we found out my husband was seriously ill and was in Acute Renal Failure. I was so glad I learned how to drive since it came in handy especially with my husband's illness. He would joked around with the dialysis unit staff by saying if he could survive teaching me how to drive he could survive dialysis and a transplant.

47 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Don't feel bad I did get my license until I was 36. I did try to learn before, but I would get nervous and scared. I think a big part of it was the fact I was hit by a car before my fourth birthday causing me to almost lose my left kidney (small laceration,) spent two weeks in the hospital and was lucky I survived. My husband was the one who was brave enough to teach me. The first time I drove a car a sheriff deputy stopped to see if everything was alright because we were pulled over on a dirt road near our house. My husband laughed and said I was learning to drive. They both smiled and laughed, and I was a nervous wreck because I already made contact with a deputy without driving one mile. A year later we found out my husband was seriously ill and was in Acute Renal Failure. I was so glad I learned how to drive since it came in handy especially with my husband's illness. He would joked around with the dialysis unit staff by saying if he could survive teaching me how to drive he could survive dialysis and a transplant.

I'm so glad that both you and your husband are ok. The highlighted line is a great first driving story!

4 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

I shore as heck did!

Do you have a juicer?

I don't have a juicer but I sure as hell took advantage of Prime Day. I got the Sultra Bombshell 1.5" iron for $50, bras, a quilt set, clarisonic brush head replacements, eyeliner, etc. 

• Love 3
Just now, AnnMichele said:

I don't have a juicer but I sure as hell took advantage of Prime Day. I got the Sultra Bombshell 1.5" iron for $50, bras, a quilt set, clarisonic brush head replacements, eyeliner, etc. 

Oh I heard THAT. They also have dash buttons for 99 cents today. I want an egg cooker but the deal expired. Dammit.

7 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Oh I heard THAT. They also have dash buttons for 99 cents today. I want an egg cooker but the deal expired. Dammit.

I lost out on a killer pool raft/chair. The struggle is real!

• Love 1

ARRGHHHHHH I have some time bc Hubby and the CF are playing video games together so I went to CMT and was thrilled first to find out they finally have a deal with my cable provider only to discover I can't get to any episodes except the last like 4 from season 11, when I click on the full episodes page nothing shows up at all signed in or not. Damn it!!! I so wanted to watch seasons 1 & 2, what browser do you use @AnnMichele

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnnMichele said:

OOOOO YAS GIRL SWEEP UP THOSE DEALS 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, twinkietwin94 said:

OK that's who I thought it was. I love you @LaurenBrook

The GG recaps are written as a different persona every week some are funnier than others but they're all pretty good

hehe so glad!!! i just adore dairiburger...so many laughs i've had all alone over the material on that site LOL  i'm telling you - even if you have no idea what the book series from the 80s Caitlin is, READ HER RECAPS.  i seriously cried laughing. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

hehe so glad!!! i just adore dairiburger...so many laughs i've had all alone over the material on that site LOL  i'm telling you - even if you have no idea what the book series from the 80s Caitlin is, READ HER RECAPS.  i seriously cried laughing. 

I know I read the Caitlyn books. I want her to recap Saved by the Bell, it would be hysterical

• Love 2

I gotta go to Sams this morning and get vegetables for my juicer. Man, these juice recipes are ridiculous! Like

15 ribs celery

27 apples

4 bunches parsley

Makes 2 fl oz.

The hell?!? I'm gonna go broke buying produce.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

I gotta go to Sams this morning and get vegetables for my juicer. Man, these juice recipes are ridiculous! Like

15 ribs celery

27 apples

4 bunches parsley

Makes 2 fl oz.

The hell?!? I'm gonna go broke buying produce.

Remember what that fitness lady told Nicole B in season 7... try not to drink too many of your meals. And soda causes cellulite (bullshit).

• Love 2
Just now, AnnMichele said:

Remember what that fitness lady told Nicole B in season 7... try not to drink too many of your meals. And soda causes cellulite (bullshit).

HAHA!! I wouldn't listen to a freaking word that comes out of that twat waffle's (thanks @spazette) mouth.

I'm just using juicing as a supplement, not an actual "diet". I can't eat a lot of really good vegetables because my body can't process them, and I'll end up back in surgery. So I want to supplement clean eating with the good stuff that comes from veggies and some fruits that I can't have one or two times a day.

I will be sure not to carbonate them, as I don't want cellulite that I know that carbonation absolutely causes.

giphy.gif

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

HAHA!! I wouldn't listen to a freaking word that comes out of that twat waffle's (thanks @spazette) mouth.

I'm just using juicing as a supplement, not an actual "diet". I can't eat a lot of really good vegetables because my body can't process them, and I'll end up back in surgery. So I want to supplement clean eating with the good stuff that comes from veggies and some fruits that I can't have one or two times a day.

I will be sure not to carbonate them, as I don't want cellulite that I know that carbonation absolutely causes.

giphy.gif

That's a great reason to juice!

booboochild.gif

• Love 1

@Hummingbird24 so I follow jaclyn hill and kathleen lights. I like Kathleen better, she's not afraid to give a bad review on something. Jaclyn just had this thing with Kim Kardashian and was sucking up like crazy which annoyed me. Her new contour kit is terrible and has had so many bad reviews.

13 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:

Are you talking about THE one SVH dairi burger?!! And Caitlin of the dark hair version of Liz and jess Wakefield because there's no one else in Cali with shiny blonde hair. Although the Caitlin books were set elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

@Hummingbird24 so I follow jaclyn hill and kathleen lights. I like Kathleen better, she's not afraid to give a bad review on something. Jaclyn just had this thing with Kim Kardashian and was sucking up like crazy which annoyed me. Her new contour kit is terrible and has had so many bad reviews.

Yeah, I saw it fall apart in Tati's hand. I follow smaller ones, but I also follow ppl so I can snark on them. I follow Emily Noel, livloveshermakeup ( she's small, but her reviews are hilarious! She does curse and call things pos). I do Kathleen Lights also. I watch Jeffree sometimes to see who he'll shade on any day. 

I love makeup.i have 8 eye palettes and I gave 3 or 4 away. I don't do the contouring much just because I'm old and lazy lol. I like eye shadow. 

Just now, Hummingbird24 said:

Yeah, I saw it fall apart in Tati's hand. I follow smaller ones, but I also follow ppl so I can snark on them. I follow Emily Noel, livloveshermakeup ( she's small, but her reviews are hilarious! She does curse and call things pos). I do Kathleen Lights also. I watch Jeffree sometimes to see who he'll shade on any day. 

I love makeup.i have 8 eye palettes and I gave 3 or 4 away. I don't do the contouring much just because I'm old and lazy lol. I like eye shadow. 

I just made two small colourpop singles palettes. I bought naked heat but returned it since I didn't like the formula. I have like 4 palettes in the same shade range.

1 minute ago, heatherrrrz said:

I just made two small colourpop singles palettes. I bought naked heat but returned it since I didn't like the formula. I have like 4 palettes in the same shade range.

Does colourpop live up to the hype? It's cheap, but NYX and Wet and Wild have some decent products, too, but I've never tried Colourpop.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Does colourpop live up to the hype? It's cheap, but NYX and Wet and Wild have some decent products, too, but I've never tried Colourpop.

I like their formula so far! I heard good things about their mattes, not a lot of people like the shimmers though.

For the record, I'm drinking a big old can of cellulite right now.

i want to share I've never smoked a cigarette, I didn't take a drink of alcohol until I was married (19), and have drank 5 times in the last 3-4 years, never done any type of drug, except prescriptions. I eat right, worked out like crazy, and even work dadgum sunscreen in this sauna called Texas. I did everything right.

i have had two strokes, MS, CRPS, Addison's disease, arthritis, and now, for the grand finale, lupus!!

My Two grandfathers:

one drank like crazy, smoked like a chimney, fried everything, hardly exercised and lived to be 80 and took nothing but cholesterol meds.

my other one smoked for a good while, didn't really drink, but was a sheriff until he was 79, got Alzheimer's at 81 and died at 82. He could still take people down until the end.

my aunt was like me. Did everything right. Died at 44 of cancer.

makes you think. 

8 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Yes!! I didn't want after I saw how awful those dark matters were. I have modern renaissance. I like color pop! So affordable. Elf and wet and wild are also amazing. They dupe a lot of high end.

• Love 1

@Rosiemac and @DCCFAN71:

FRIDAY NIGHT LINEUP:

Dukes of Hazzard

Wonder Woman

The Incredible Hulk

Dallas

Falcon Crest (eventually)

SATURDAY NIGHT LINEUP:

Dance Fever (WITH DENNY TERRIO!)

Solid Gold (FEATURING THE SOLID GOLD DANCERS!)

Love Boat

Fantasy Island

Nothing will ever, ever ever match these lineups. EVER.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

@Rosiemac and @DCCFAN71:

FRIDAY NIGHT LINEUP:

Dukes of Hazzard

Wonder Woman

The Incredible Hulk

Dallas

Falcon Crest (eventually)

SATURDAY NIGHT LINEUP:

Dance Fever (WITH DENNY TERRIO!)

Solid Gold (FEATURING THE SOLID GOLD DANCERS!)

Love Boat

Fantasy Island

Nothing will ever, ever ever match these lineups. EVER.

This is the time for a reminder that Jenna's dad was a Solid Gold dancer. ??

• Love 2
1 minute ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I can't remember his name - bio dad so something Jackson. It would be an easy google, but I'm at work. Your turn! 

Sigh. Fine. I'll be back with info. 

• Love 1