Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

@heatherrrrz - I just found out an acquaintance's husband and I have been interviewing for the same job. So damn awkward since she's pretty much packing her bags to move (we would have to relocate) and I'm like ummmm. Damn. He already works for the company but I have more experience, so we'll see. It's such a crapshoot. I really want the job but will probably respect them more if they go with the internal hire. 

Job hunting is the worst. So many employers are ghosting, even after multiple rounds of interviews. I had a phone screen, four hour Skype session, personality survey and provided FIVE required references that each had to fill out a screen about me (bananas) and only found out I didn't get the job from logging into their online application kiosk. They had sent me their benefits package to review, too. Sigh. I guess I should just be thankful their kiosk had a NOPE option once I clicked around a while. 

A couple years ago I went for three rounds of in person interviews and never heard from them again.  At least in dating I can just assume they died, but with work it's not like they just closed overnight ??

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

I just laughed raucously at this because we say "bye Felicia" here all the time. Said woman I've been discussing, let's call her Debra, always asks why we call each other Felicia. None of us have ever liked her enough to explain.

Lol. We have a 'Felicia' at my work too!

• Love 2

So when I first interviewed the HR person told me that the final two would be meeting with my boss. The second one just came, so unless they're not including me in the final two and I don't have to meet with him, then I'm out. If I'm out, I think I'm just going to to back to school and get my bachelor's. I'm so bored with this job, there's nothing for me to do all day.

3 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Doesn't every workplace/social setting where we don't get to choose who we're around have a Felicia LOL? Someone should bring the Felicias of the world together so they leave us alone.

I'm a firm believer that nothing happens for any reason whatsoever and it's all completely random, and that it's up to us to make our own destinies. I think it's great that you have other plans if this falls through. What would you go for?

It has to be related to my job to get reimbursed by my company so I've been looking at a BS or BA for business administration. I'm trying to find online schools that don't include calculus because I have no idea why that would even be included.

Just now, QuiteContraryMoni said:

What?! Calculus is used everyday! Why, I'm constantly asking others about finding properties of derivatives and integrals of functions, by methods originally based on the summation of infinitesimal differences. Get WITH it, already! ;-)

Ha. The only thing that really sucks is that I have to take out a loan to pay for school, but luckily since work reimburses me that money will go to the loan.

14 hours ago, kalibean said:

A couple years ago I went for three rounds of in person interviews and never heard from them again.

A few years ago I had 2 phone interviews with a company in DFW.  They flew me down for my final interview & I was told I was final two, but never heard back from them.  I assume I didn't get the job LOL, but it would have been nice if someone told me so, especially since they paid my airfare/hotel.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ByTor said:

A few years ago I had 2 phone interviews with a company in DFW.  They flew me down for my final interview & I was told I was final two, but never heard back from them.  I assume I didn't get the job LOL, but it would have been nice if someone told me so, especially since they paid my airfare/hotel.

SERIOUSLY. That's crazy!  Maybe it's a new Dallas trend. I hope it stops. 

@heatherrrrz - very cool that your employer reimburses! I'm definitely envious as I write my student loan payments every month. Even a little bit would have been awesome since I got my MBA while working full time. I left that company right before I got my degree.

Anyhoot, you reminded me of a conversation I was having with a friend last week. Her brother just got his MBA and hasn't been able to find a new job. He's not that big of a doofus (just a little bit), but he's changing careers and hadn't met anyone in his new field to help him get his foot in the door.  So when you're looking for online degrees, ask what opportunities you have to meet your fellow students, even if it's a project via skype. 

I had a coworker who got her MBA online and has had these amazing group projects and was able to meet some great people. It was really interesting to me how different their two experiences were  

So much of find a new job is connections and who you know. Kinda gross and kinda awesome. I know you're planning to stay, but sometimes life happens.

• Love 1

A LOT of it is who you know, at least in my little corner of the world.  A girl I worked with talked her way into every position she's held with the company and most of it's behind the scenes.  One job, they held the interviews just for forms sake because she had the job lined up before those things even started.  Besides that, she had the nerve to change her Facebook status (and she's Facebook "friends" with a lot of the people from our old office) to show her new job BEFORE she's even been "officially" been offered the position.  When confronted with it, she just said "I don't know how to change it".  That's when I stopped being anything but remotely polite to her because I knew she wasn't the type of person I wanted to know.

I'd like to stay, but honestly I can't see myself spending another 2 and a half years at the front desk. There is VERY little opportunities in our corporate office for advancement unless you're a guy. I had no idea the company was subtly sexist until recently. In 2016, practically all of the guys here not in sales or accounting got a promotion. One kid started in June and got offered an outside sales rep position in December. I've been here 2 and a half years and haven't gotten a promotion. There's nothing in this state as far as jobs though. My dad did suggest I should be a flight attendant, but they don't get paid a lot.

Add me to the list of those looking for a new job.  Just started the teaching position I'm in this year but found out yesterday the teacher I replaced who moved to a principal's position in the district and she wants to go back to the classroom. So unless someone retires from a position I qualify for (small district, 8 schools total k-12 so not likely) I'm out of a job again. I won't know for sure until some time in April when they hand out contacts. Ugh! It took me five years to get this job.  No one wants to pay me for my experience and education and I really have no interest in any other field. Ugh!!!

Edited by twinkietwin94
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

My dad did suggest I should be a flight attendant, but they don't get paid a lot.

I got an email from a job board for a flight attendant position.  There's NOTHING on my resume indicating that is something I have any interest in.  Would be a cool job if you weren't scared of flying (me....to some degree) and loved to travel (me....not at all ;).

1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

I've been here 2 and a half years and haven't gotten a promotion.

It's a known thing that my job does not give raises.  Um, what?  How is that even remotely ok?  It's not...hence...the job search.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

I got an email from a job board for a flight attendant position.  There's NOTHING on my resume indicating that is something I have any interest in.  Would be a cool job if you weren't scared of flying (me....to some degree) and loved to travel (me....not at all ;).

It's a known thing that my job does not give raises.  Um, what?  How is that even remotely ok?  It's not...hence...the job search.

My old job never wanted to give me a raise, I had to threaten to leave until they gave me one.

13 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

The hell is the matter with people. Off ttopic, my husband broke his toe on the stairs. After showing me, he walked out of the room, tripped into the corner molding and sliced his other four toes wide open. As I typed this, he tripped over the bed spread. Putting him in a hover round, getting a step in tub, a life alert and a stairway rider. 

OUCH!

• Love 1

My trip is SO CLOSE. Just two more work days after today (I might kill someone). My sister just texted and asked what kind of wine we want because apparently she's buying a bunch of boxed wine (lol) to bring with us. She must be bringing a special suitcase just for wine and liquor. I love it!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, woodscommaelle said:

Paul Simon tickets at Red Rocks sold out in three minutes.  I'm so sad.  I literally have a frown on my face. 

Red Rocks is the reason I want to live in Colorado.

23 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Red Rocks is the reason I want to live in Colorado.

LOL! It's pretty amazing.

Before I moved here (21 years ago) we visited some friends already living here and saw Phish.  So cool!  Many more shows in between.  And then most recently I saw Warren Haynes (from Gov't Mule/Allman Bros) playing the Grateful Dead with the Colorado Symphony.  I'm getting chills thinking about it.  Such a beautiful show. I actually won tickets on the radio for it.  I told my mom I wanted her to come visit for my birthday and that would be my present.  She enjoyed it but she's not a Dead fan.  So we've always said wherever Paul Simon is playing next, we're going.  Red Rocks 2017? Perfect! But alas....not happening.  I'm so sad about it.  He's one of my favorite favorites.

Colorado really is a beautiful place.  You should come at least for a visit.  So many shows at Red Rocks coming up.  http://redrocksonline.com/concerts-events/listing

• Love 1

My cousins live outside of Estes Park and they told me to come visit, but I hardly talk to them. They're older than me and my sister, with a family so it'd be awkwa taco

On 3/16/2017 at 8:06 AM, heatherrrrz said:

I'm trying to find online schools

Obligatory "be careful with this" from a former teacher and perpetual graduate student....most online programs are absolute scams, with insane fees, sky-high dropout rates, and exceptionally poor reputations.  If the school is any kind of "for profit", run far, far away (screaming optional). 

• Love 4

Most companies won't even acknowledge a degree from a "for-profit" school like Carrington, ITT (in most cases), Alpine, etc. even though those schools claim that they have a job placement rate that far outstrips conventional colleges.  In addition, you get "financial aid", but you're still on the hook for that debt if the school closes entirely, the training doesn't meet the state/national requirements (despite the school claiming otherwise), etc.  I try to tell people to stay away from such schools (and anything that isn't accredited by the appropriate regional/national boards).  If in doubt, check with your state's Board of Education or with the employees and students of legitimate colleges in your area.  You'll often get the truth about not only the school they're attending but other schools in the area and a good idea of what programs are like.  If any of that makes sense.  If it doesn't, I blame the sinus medication.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2017 at 2:26 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

LOL GOOD! With people like that, they call it "PAYING attention" for a reason. You are literally paying her with energy. She's not worth a scintilla of your precious energy. Ignore on, babycakes!

On a happy note, I just bought this bag on poshmark, which I've just discovered.

bag.JPG

Poshmark is why I am poor. I have to be careful about when I visit.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2017 at 6:16 PM, QuiteContraryMoni said:

The hell is the matter with people. Off ttopic, my husband broke his toe on the stairs. After showing me, he walked out of the room, tripped into the corner molding and sliced his other four toes wide open. As I typed this, he tripped over the bed spread. Putting him in a hover round, getting a step in tub, a life alert and a stairway rider. 

Ouch.  Sorry to hear this.

I think this thread is the only thing that interests me on this board anymore.  I kind of don’t care about this show the way I did.  Sure, I’ll watch when it airs but otherwise, meh.  You all are way more interesting.

• Love 1
On 3/17/2017 at 10:11 AM, woodscommaelle said:

Paul Simon tickets at Red Rocks sold out in three minutes.  I'm so sad.  I literally have a frown on my face. 

Update party people:  My mom said 'just buy whatever tickets you can.  I can't take the money with me.'  Yay.  To Paul Simon we will go. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 1

Thanks for the warnings guys! I'm actually looking at real universities not like Phoenix or anything. There's a program at a university near me that seems to be my best option. 

Remind me not to listen to my mother. She told me I didn't have to pay the full half of my car tax since I traded it in. Too bad I now owe $20 in interest because I didn't pay, waiting for a corrected bill that was never coming.

So I can't remember for sure which of you lovelies first recommended The Great British Bakeoff to me (was thinking it was @JC123?), but seriously, I am obsessed!  I saw it was available to view on Netflix so I watched all three available seasons and loved it.  Wish I could see the other seasons - I think there are three more that aren't available to view.  It's just an adorable show, really positive, and it's enormous fun to listen to all the Britishisms and insanely bad puns that are somehow adorable, not annoying.  I love, love, love the two hosts, and it's a really awesome pairing between the two judges as well.  I now have about two dozen pins on how to make buttercream flowers saved, and am trying to figure out how to make short crust pastry and sponge cake ?

• Love 3

glad you are enjoying some British TV raindance. Unfortunately Mary Berry has left the show - it aired until 2016 on BBC (I guess kind of equivalent to your PBS?) but another channel, Channel 4 have bought the rights. Mary Berry, Mel and Sue didn't want to leave the BBC ,so only Paul Hollywood has gone to the Channel 4 version of the Great British Bakeoff.

• Love 3

Buttercream frosting is not that hard to make!! I made my own in my mixer last year for easter.

Whoops, nvm me. Read it as frosting and not flowers lol

Edited by heatherrrrz

Ok got my contract today,  pay frozen and u have no idea what or where I'll teach but I'll have a job.  Still looking in my kiddos district bc I'd prefer to have the same days of as the crotch fruit and I don't like being jerked  around.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Who's looking for a job here and finding it just so overwhelming, stressful and not easy??  (waving)

Me!

5 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

This commercial makes me uncontrollably ugly cry until I can't ugly cry no more.

http://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/state-farm-a-good-neighbor/308243/

Where do you find this stuff?  Ha!  

6 hours ago, Oranaiche said:

Sitting on a plane about to fly to Houston before continuing on to Costa Rica. Probably the closest I'll ever be to Dallas! Lol

Have a pina colada for me (or a rum punch)!!!!

16 hours ago, AnotherEnglishGirl said:

glad you are enjoying some British TV raindance. Unfortunately Mary Berry has left the show - it aired until 2016 on BBC (I guess kind of equivalent to your PBS?) but another channel, Channel 4 have bought the rights. Mary Berry, Mel and Sue didn't want to leave the BBC ,so only Paul Hollywood has gone to the Channel 4 version of the Great British Bakeoff.

I saw that when I went to search for more of the shows!  I did quite like Paul Hollywood, but I have no idea who they could possibly get to come close to Mary Berry or Mel and Sue - they are charming and sweet and hilarious.  I hope they are a bit of a team and I'll be able to find other things they are a part of.  So sad this was their last season together!

• Love 1

@twinkietwin94 carrying over the Doctor Who discussion from the former DCCs thread -- personally I started with the new series (which began in 2005) because my friends who got me into it told me to watch the modern era DW first, and then go back to the old series if I wanted to. So I started with the Eccleston season and watched straight through the entire current series. It's absolutely wonderful and I love each Doctor for different reasons (although to be quite honest I still haven't warmed as much to current Doctor Peter Capaldi, whose third season as the Doctor starts next month, but I still watch). Thus far I haven't felt compelled to go back and watch the original series, but I'll do it one of these days. If you do decide to watch it, just know that the evolution of the show as far as budget and production quality improves with each season, starting out as very campy with low budget effects, and evolving into a very high tech show. I don't say that negatively though -- I adore the earlier seasons the most actually. They're just so honest in their quality, without hiding behind smoke and mirrors. Do not read any further as there will probably be some spoilers!

@EricaShadows always fun to talk with fellow Whovians! I feel like we've discussed this briefly before, but out of the new series Doctors, do you have a favorite? I seem to change my mind depending on the day because I adore Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith all so much. Capaldi isn't my favorite, and is just such an aberration from his predecessors. I realize that is kind of the point, as the nature of his regeneration was a bit different from 11 to 12, but I still have difficulty swallowing his portrayal at times all the same (please stop with the guitar all the time, WE GET IT). HOWEVER, I thought he was an absolute juggernaut in "Heaven Sent" and it's become one of my favorite episodes ever. I don't think I've ever cheered so hard as I did when the Doctor kept looping in time just to break through that wall. But anyway...lol.

Edited by Oranaiche

@Oranaiche, I prefer Christopher Eccleston because he had that perfect blend, and balance, of scary and silly.  I also like Matt Smith because he was so goofy, sort of Golden Retriever goofy/silly.  Tennant is good (and I actually preferred him in "Hamlet" to Doctor Who), but he had a way of rearing back, bugging his eyes out, and wrinkling his face that really annoyed me, but that was my main issue with him.  Still no ginger Doctor though we had two ginger Companions (Martha and Amy).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

@Oranaiche, I prefer Christopher Eccleston because he had that perfect blend, and balance, of scary and silly.  I also like Matt Smith because he was so goofy, sort of Golden Retriever goofy/silly.  Tennant is good (and I actually preferred him in "Hamlet" to Doctor Who), but he had a way of rearing back, bugging his eyes out, and wrinkling his face that really annoyed me, but that was my main issue with him.  Still no ginger Doctor though we had two ginger Companions (Martha and Amy).

Ah yes, I remember now! I can see what you mean about Tennant. He can be over the top, but I still adore him, especially with Billie Piper. I'm sad to this day that we only got one season of them, plus an odd episode here and there after that. I'm rewatching now so I'll have to determine on this go round if I prefer Eccleston/Piper or Tennant/Piper. I'd say my favorite pairing after those is Matt Smith/Karen Gillan + Arthur Darvill.

Edited by Oranaiche

I don't know who my favorite Doctor/Companion pairing is since each is so vastly different.  I did like how they started off Clara Oswald, but then things got strange for her.  What is your favorite "bad guy" of the series?  I prefer the Vashta Nerada and the Weeping Angels since both are sneaky and easy to overlook.

3 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

I don't know who my favorite Doctor/Companion pairing is since each is so vastly different.  I did like how they started off Clara Oswald, but then things got strange for her.  What is your favorite "bad guy" of the series?  I prefer the Vashta Nerada and the Weeping Angels since both are sneaky and easy to overlook.

I loved the Weeping Angels at first, but I got a little tired of them since they were so often revisited. Not as often as Daleks or Cybermen, but still quite a bit. I really enjoyed the concept of the Silence. I found that genuinely scary and still do a double take sometimes if I have writing on my hands, haha. I also really liked the Vashta Nerada. "Silence in the Library" is one of my favorite episodes for sure.

I think the Vashta Nerada scare me more than the Weeping Angels do now because, as you said, some of the "scary" factor has worn off due to the way they were written, especially towards the end of Amy's/Rory's run as Companions.  The Silence were good (and no, that's not me fumbling the keyboard), but I'd have to rewatch their episodes because that whole group of episodes was rather confusing plus it's been a while since I've seen them.  "Silence in the Library"/"Forest of the Dead" were fricking AMAZING.  When Steven Moffatt is kept under tight rein, he's a genius, but as a show runner?  Nah, he's not NEARLY as good as his predecessor.  Too much imagination, not enough discipline at times, I think.

I ran across a writing prompt somewhere that instantly reminded me of the Vashta Nerada.  It went something like "Why do I have two shadows when there's only one light bulb?"

• Love 1
On 21/03/2017 at 4:31 AM, raindancer said:

So I can't remember for sure which of you lovelies first recommended The Great British Bakeoff to me (was thinking it was @JC123?), but seriously, I am obsessed!  I saw it was available to view on Netflix so I watched all three available seasons and loved it.  Wish I could see the other seasons - I think there are three more that aren't available to view.  It's just an adorable show, really positive, and it's enormous fun to listen to all the Britishisms and insanely bad puns that are somehow adorable, not annoying.  I love, love, love the two hosts, and it's a really awesome pairing between the two judges as well.  I now have about two dozen pins on how to make buttercream flowers saved, and am trying to figure out how to make short crust pastry and sponge cake ?

YES!!! So glad you like it! Such a wonderful show. Really don't know what to expect with the change from BBC 1 to Channel 4 but guess we'll have to wait and see. Paul Hollywood lives about 20 mins from my house, I used to work in a restaurant and I served him once ?

• Love 1