Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

I've had very few issues with Verizon (I get a deal with them through work as well), but one of the main issues I had with them was that, many years ago, I had sent in my payment and they credited it to someone else's account.  When I called them on it, they tried to say that I would have to send them more money to cover it since I hadn't paid it even though they had JUST told me they had used MY money to pay on someone ELSE'S account and that they couldn't (or wouldn't) change that payment mistake.  I told them that me sending them more money to cover up THEIR mistake would not be happening and if they couldn't or wouldn't credit me for the missed month because they screwed up, then I would be dropping them immediately and switching to another company.  They fixed it immediately and I've had very few issues with them since.

6 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

I've had very few issues with Verizon (I get a deal with them through work as well), but one of the main issues I had with them was that, many years ago, I had sent in my payment and they credited it to someone else's account.  When I called them on it, they tried to say that I would have to send them more money to cover it since I hadn't paid it even though they had JUST told me they had used MY money to pay on someone ELSE'S account and that they couldn't (or wouldn't) change that payment mistake.  I told them that me sending them more money to cover up THEIR mistake would not be happening and if they couldn't or wouldn't credit me for the missed month because they screwed up, then I would be dropping them immediately and switching to another company.  They fixed it immediately and I've had very few issues with them since.

Now that's really annoying. How could they make you send more money after they charged it to someone else's account? Messed up.

I tried to post earlier when the thyroid discussion was going on, but my computer and internet service would not cooperate. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in 2003. My autoimmune system attacked my thyroid by producing antibodies tricking my thyroid to produce more thyroid hormones. I decided to go with thyroid medication for treatment, and between the thyroid med and blood pressure med I was put on, I gained around fifteen pounds in one month. In August 2012, I ended up with full blown Graves Disease, and ended up having the Radiation Ablation Treatment in December 2012. My advice for anyone who may be facing a thyroid disorder is research, research, research when it comes to selecting a treatment plan and if possible, a second opinion. I wished I got a second opinion before having the treatment because I have been dealing with multiple medical issues since starting the one thyroid med for hypothyroid in January 2013, and a quack doctor who kept me on too high of a med dosage for two years. I was in remission for nine years and felt better when I had my thyroid.

Whole 30, y'all. It's essentially an elimination diet to figure out what foods eff with your system. I feel like the glory every time I do a round, plus drop pounds and inches. You're just committing to eating meat, fruit, veg and nuts for a month. The books behind it are pretty great too if you're trying to change your relationship with  food. 

And I say this as someone who has done weight watchers off and on since 16, hypnosis, cabbage shop, pills that felt like speed, medifast, Atkins and all kinds of other shit I can't recall right now. 

4 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

Now that's really annoying. How could they make you send more money after they charged it to someone else's account? Messed up.

They tried to get me to pay more money, but I not only told them no, I told them "Oh H*LL no.  Either you credit my account for the month that the company screwed up on my payment or I switch to another carrier."  They credited my account because they had admitted that they screwed up and, since those calls are recorded, they couldn't back out of the fact that they had admitted to the mistake or that they essentially tried to charge me twice for the same month.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, kalibean said:

Whole 30, y'all. It's essentially an elimination diet to figure out what foods eff with your system. I feel like the glory every time I do a round, plus drop pounds and inches. You're just committing to eating meat, fruit, veg and nuts for a month. The books behind it are pretty great too if you're trying to change your relationship with  food. 

And I say this as someone who has done weight watchers off and on since 16, hypnosis, cabbage shop, pills that felt like speed, medifast, Atkins and all kinds of other shit I can't recall right now. 

I did my first round in July'16!!!  Always meant to do another one but ....

Any good go-to recipes whole30 comyou use for lunch?  I struggle w/ meals

• Love 1
13 hours ago, kalibean said:

Any good go-to recipes you use for lunch?  I struggle w/ meals

12 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Shit. The Blind Side is on. I sob from the opening credits until I attempt to collect myself about 45 minutes after it ends. I don't care about the critiques about the theory of "The great white hope", I don't give a shit about the racial criticisms, I am so touched by it that I'm a hot mess the whole time.

Sounds like me during My Dog Skip.

• Love 1

Moni, one of my friends from middle school's grandmother works with my mother and she has her own florist business now. Someone ordered like 300 roses for Mary Tyler Moore's funeral here in CT. It was being held in Fairfield which is about 30-40 minutes from me.

1 minute ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Oh how precious!! That woman deserves nothing less than those 300 roses. I loved her so. I watched her show every day. The repeats are constantly on lately and it's about all I have on now. She was a trailblazer!

I lied, it was like 300 dozen or something of that. 

Just now, QuiteContraryMoni said:

EVEN BETTER!

Shit Bernadette Peters was in my state for the funeral and I didn't even know!

22 minutes ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Anyone seen the "Car Shield" commercial where an ancient and embittered Mike Ditka basically verbally abuses you into purchasing the product?? It's HILARIOUS!!!

No, where can I find it?!

ETA nvm. I know how to internet I swears.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 1

You-Tube hair color "tutorial" rant....why the heck would you take the time to do a tutorial for anywhere from 4-45 minutes and spend less than a minute showing the results?   I know how the f to read directions, open a box, mix potions and put hair dye on my flippin' head...show me what color you achieved. FRACK!  And it's not as if all the videos ended with folks looking like Ronald McDonald or a Lisa Frank character and they were embarrassed; some of the results turned out very nice; from what a could tell from the 15 seconds the new color was shown.   I've been dying my hair since Kelli wore short shorts and a blue long-sleeved top; I know how to do the basics...show me the color!!!!

So irritated!

10 hours ago, RegalRegin said:

You-Tube hair color "tutorial" rant....why the heck would you take the time to do a tutorial for anywhere from 4-45 minutes and spend less than a minute showing the results?   I know how the f to read directions, open a box, mix potions and put hair dye on my flippin' head...show me what color you achieved. FRACK!  And it's not as if all the videos ended with folks looking like Ronald McDonald or a Lisa Frank character and they were embarrassed; some of the results turned out very nice; from what a could tell from the 15 seconds the new color was shown.   I've been dying my hair since Kelli wore short shorts and a blue long-sleeved top; I know how to do the basics...show me the color!!!!

So irritated!

lol I'm not a hair dresser but I love watching Mandie Sue, Guy Tang and a few others show how to do hair. They've helped me find a better stylist who actually achieves the results I want.

Just now, QuiteContraryMoni said:

They have ones with people like, pressing on fingernails too. Or putting on lip gloss. It's stupid af. I once watched a girl put her hair in a ponytail on top of her head, cut off three inches, take it out and call it a "layered shag". LOL. When I was in school we'd watch the awful tutorials to learn what NOT to do to people.

Guy Tang is completely different. The professionals who do continuing education videos intended for pros (or people like you, who can tell a pro what you want) are indeed pretty good.

Guy is hilarious, it's fun to watch him. Mandie sold out and is now promoting products and it's quite annoying. 

2 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

I'm getting a new boss ... in my mind, I'm being demoted sort of.  Very bitter and annoyed

They've been trying to find a new inside sales manager here who would be my boss but have yet to find someone.

1 minute ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Just be like "what EVAH I do what I WANT".

Oh how I wish. I'm like "you're the one who told me to do this so I'm just following orders"

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 1:35 PM, LaurenBrook said:

Well it definitely takes some planning and consistency with logging stuff on my fitness pal - but once you've done it for a couple of weeks you get better at knowing what you can eat on certain days.  My plan (and there are all types) right now has three low carb days a week, on those days it's 50 net carbs (fiber and sugar alcohols don't count towards carbs) but you still try to hit your calorie goal (so it's lots of healthy fats and protein) and do sprints/cardio (to pull energy from fat stores instead of ingested carbs).  Then on high carb days I hit my calorie goal with 50% carbs, 20% fat and 30% protein and the workouts are weight lifting (all the extra carbs then go to muscle growth).  I know it sounds overwhelming but I love that it mixes up my workouts and some days I can enjoy fruits, popcorn, etc. and others I can enjoy peanut butter and cheese lol.  It's nice to be able to eat like 2000 calories too and still lose weight, even on my rest days; I can't believe I ever starved myself on like 1400 and did cardio for 2 hours.  YIKES.  

wait, what are the rules to this program?  is it a real program?  I should get on myfitnesspal

1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Just be like "what EVAH I do what I WANT".

I run with twelve gangs, and we only commit hate crimes. Whateva, I do what I want!

In other news...I really need a drink, or a Xanax, or something.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

That ep was JUST on last night LOL!!

Will an advil and some cooking sherry work? That's all I've got.

Bring it on. I have a feeling I'm gonna need a lot of cooking sherry in the coming weeks.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

eating a big arse pyrex container of pasta ... with my pants button undone of course

I ordered a dozen georgetown cupcakes to be delivered to me at work. Guess I have no excuse to avoid the gym tonight lol

3 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I ordered a dozen georgetown cupcakes to be delivered to me at work. Guess I have no excuse to avoid the gym tonight lol

wait!  I've heard of this cupcake place ... but how?  Was it on food network?

omg a dozen cupcakes delivered to work?  that sounds like a dream to me

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

wait!  I've heard of this cupcake place ... but how?  Was it on food network?

omg a dozen cupcakes delivered to work?  that sounds like a dream to me

It was on TLC!! they ship their cupcakes overnight to anywhere in the states I think. 

OK, I need to vent.  We have this wellness program at work.  We log all kinds of things like exercise, steps, water, sleep, fruits & vegetables eaten.  Certain activities are given certain points, and the winners are rewarded with extra time off.  I shouldn't complain, because I got an extra 4 days off, but there's one woman who I know has to be cheating (who got something like 7 extra PTO days).  Here it is, the second day of the month, and she has logged 147 fruits/vegetables.  147 in two days????  NEVER!!! 

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4

She also logs a gallon of water a day, and claims to do it because she claims to go to the gym twice a day.  Well, if she is working out that much, it's quite unhealthy to drink that much plain water...with perspiration all that water would screw up your electrolytes big time.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

They have ones with people like, pressing on fingernails too. Or putting on lip gloss. It's stupid af. I once watched a girl put her hair in a ponytail on top of her head, cut off three inches, take it out and call it a "layered shag". LOL. When I was in school we'd watch the awful tutorials to learn what NOT to do to people.

I've actually done the ponytail thing to cut my hair and get layers, it worked great for me, but I've seen some crappy results from people trying it

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, ByTor said:

She also logs a gallon of water a day, and claims to do it because she claims to go to the gym twice a day.  Well, if she is working out that much, it's quite unhealthy to drink that much plain water...with perspiration all that water would screw up your electrolytes big time.  

I drink a shtload of water so I can see how a gallon could be possible but 147 fruit / veggies??  Like 147 servings?? Lying cow.  No fkin way

• Love 3

I've managed to drink a gallon of water in a day before over a whole day but then I also felt like I spent the entire day in the bathroom, hey got my steps in that day though LOL

147 fruits and veggies? um yeah right, kick her @$$ out of the competition

1 minute ago, MaryWebGirl said:

@twinkietwin94 I just have to say that your name always cracks me up because in high school we called a set of blonde twins the Twinkie Twins.

LOL that's awesome, there were four of us that hung out together in high school eons ago (94 was my grad year) and still are best friends, we claimed we were two sets of twins from different mothers and born at different times. The other blond and I (one set of "twins") were joking on phone one night, I called her a twinkie, she didn't like twinkies so I called her a chocodile then she called me twinkie, it stuck she became chocotwin and I became twinkietwin, it's been my e-mail and online id forever now

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

147 blueberries maybe.

Funny you should say that, because I thought that maybe she counted each bite of an apple an "1 apple".  But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if she were counting each blueberry, each grape...

• Love 2
4 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

@cherryblossom I worked at a long term skilled nursing facility with a secured "memory care" (alzheimer's/dementia) wing.  The doctors were laughably out of touch with their patients. They would bark orders at the nurses and barge in, "fix" the problem and leave just as quickly. The nurses and CNAs were the ones figuring out the real solutions. The LCSWs were just a useless pain in the ass. It was like they created problems where one didn't exist and then leave it for everyone else to fix.

I also worked for an out-patient psych clinic. The LCSW that owned the business was a BASKET case. I was the office manager and I'm pretty sure I could diagnose him as being on the aspergers spectrum. NEVER came to work, phoned it in from home. Seriously. I thought he was a robot. The psychologist we had was completely irresponsible to the point of negligence to her clients, and the only people I could count on were the therapists. They were SO connected and so compassionate and willing to do whatever it took for their clients, for the most part.

My point is that ITA. Seems the higher your degree in the medical field, the more disconnected you become from the reality of being human. Plenty of exceptions out there, but this was my experience.

I guess it is also where you worked too.  I had students in LTC since '93 and there were geriatricians managing the facility along with geriatric NP's.  It is unfortunate that you were in the situation that you found yourself in.  Perhaps because I am used to working in a city with multiple hospitals and medical centers that we see a different level of care.  Doctors are now being reported for inappropriate care or conflicts with nursing staff.  Yes I found there were units where they were more cohesive but I have never worked on any unit in a variety of hospitals etc that I would not allow a family member to be in.  My mother was hospitalized in another state and I saw the same good level of care and incredible staff that worked together.  She asked that her door be open 24 hr/day so I was able to listen how they interacted with each other and also with other patients as I walked down the hall.  Hopefully when you or your family member needs care, you are able to find more compassionate people in a more organized facility.   Ok, this is why I don't usually post...too much info and too much like a soap box!

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

Hopefully when you or your family member needs care, you are able to find more compassionate people in a more organized facility.   Ok, this is why I don't usually post...too much info and too much like a soap box!

My sister & her family were on vacation in Florida, where my brother in law had a horrible incident (long story, related to ultimately a losing fight with colon cancer...he did survive Florida, though).  My niece & nephew were 14 & 16 at the time.  The one ICU nurse gave them her personal cell phone number & told them to call her any time they wanted, for whatever reason.  The family was allowed to stay however long they wanted.  When he got moved, the oncology nurses gave the kids access to their private soda/snack stash and, again, were allowed to stay for however long they wanted.  There really are some truly great ones out there.  There are also some horrible bitches out there as well.  My father was in ICU (died the following morning) and something was going on with one of his monitors.  We asked the nurse what it meant, she walked past us not even acknowledging our presence, started humming, and closed the curtain around him...never said a word to us, and trust me, we all worked in patient care at one point and were respectful & not remotely rude.  We actually ended up calling the patient advocate on her.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Re: Viv's rolling video nightmare

Here we go with the old lady speech...people today don't get it. It's like, asking them to not touch their phone for any length of time is like asking them to jump to the moon. It's an appendage.

You're manipulating thousands of pounds of metal and glass at a rate of speed up to 85 mph, amid thousands of other encasements of metal and glass doing the same.

I've cared for people whose lives have been ruined by senseless vehicle mishaps. One of them was rear ended by a 20 year old who was texting and didn't notice she was going 70 mph on an exit ramp with a stop light at the top where my friend was stopped. She slammed into her at 70 mph. Both vehicles looked like they had been through a compactor and my friend will never walk right again. The kid? She was driving a fucking double bungalo of an SUV that Daddy bought her. She was fine.

Vivian, if you want to inspire people, inspire them to drive SAFELY and stop contributing to criminal vehicular negligence, you plum.

My friend's Dad used to say to his wife "MARGIE! Ya can't be the constable of the whole damn WORLD!". But I try.

For real. Furthermore it's strange to me that so much of her footage is filmed in her car. If YouTube is something she wants to do, why not have a real go of it and film your videos at home? That way it looks legit instead of an excuse to listen to yourself talk while multitasking.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

My point is that ITA. Seems the higher your degree in the medical field, the more disconnected you become from the reality of being human. Plenty of exceptions out there, but this was my experience.

Sounds just like education, the higher they get in admin the more out of touch they are with how to work with students on a day to day basis but that doesn't stop them from telling me I'm doing something wrong

• Love 1
9 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

Re: Viv's rolling video nightmare

Here we go with the old lady speech...people today don't get it. It's like, asking them to not touch their phone for any length of time is like asking them to jump to the moon. It's an appendage.

You're manipulating thousands of pounds of metal and glass at a rate of speed up to 85 mph, amid thousands of other encasements of metal and glass doing the same.

I've cared for people whose lives have been ruined by senseless vehicle mishaps. One of them was rear ended by a 20 year old who was texting and didn't notice she was going 70 mph on an exit ramp with a stop light at the top where my friend was stopped. She slammed into her at 70 mph. Both vehicles looked like they had been through a compactor and my friend will never walk right again. The kid? She was driving a fucking double bungalo of an SUV that Daddy bought her. She was fine.

Vivian, if you want to inspire people, inspire them to drive SAFELY and stop contributing to criminal vehicular negligence, you plum.

My friend's Dad used to say to his wife "MARGIE! Ya can't be the constable of the whole damn WORLD!". But I try.

I'm living ( barely) truth of that very scenario ( posted my accident in small talk a while back).  If only more people took it seriously, so many of these life altering tragedies could be avoided.

• Love 2

Ok. As the 6 nations is on it got me thinking......we have a saying that rugby is a thugs game played by gentlemen and football is a gentlemens game played by thugs. I was wondering if there was a similar saying in America?

137 fruits and veggies Lady is probably counting that Juice Plus supplement stuff. Isn't each serving supposed to be like 40 veggies? That's honestly the only thing I can think of! And I love my fruits and veggies hard, but even smoothies and juicing wouldn't quite get you there. 

On 1/31/2017 at 8:47 AM, tobeyoungagain said:

Any good go-to recipes whole30 comyou use for lunch?  I struggle w/ meals

I've made my own bento boxes bc sometimes I don't like a heavy meal at lunch...so I'll have some almonds, chunks of chicken, a hard boiled egg, pineapple, blueberries, whatever veggies I have. Or I'll use rolled up compliant lunchmeat instead of chicken. I always made these for emergency snacks too. Sometimes I would pair it up with soup.

But Mel Joulwan's prep on her website saved me. Loved her soup recipes but especially love her version of pad Thai. The leftovers are amazing too. 

I just got an Instant Pot so I've been messing around with it. Gotta say, dumping in frozen chicken with some Franks and eating it 30 minutes later is pretty stellar on those lazy nights when you know you still need real food. 

• Love 1

Um snow?  Why did you dump eight and a half inches on us in 24 hours then decide that we might as well have rain as well?  I'm glad I got the two and a half inches off last night because I don't think that my little snowblower could have handled the four and a half inches I saw on my driveway this morning at around 7 am.

@ByTor, I don't mind the snow so much, but when there's a pile of snow nearly my height to one side of the driveway, I think we've had a little much.  I'm glad I didn't get stuck anywhere when I was out and about earlier today.  I did see two people get stuck on my street and helped get one of them going again.  A stop at the gas station and the grocery store and I'm back snug in my own home.  I'm attempting to clean, but I'm not very successful.

Great! Just saw an alert that we're going to get more snow.  Good thing, I'm not going anywhere any time soon.  The snow plows should be out in full force, but I'm wondering how many shifts the city will be running and how many outside companies will be hired to help out. 

19 hours ago, EricaShadows said:

@ByTor, I don't mind the snow so much, but when there's a pile of snow nearly my height to one side of the driveway, I think we've had a little much.  I'm glad I didn't get stuck anywhere when I was out and about earlier today.  I did see two people get stuck on my street and helped get one of them going again.  A stop at the gas station and the grocery store and I'm back snug in my own home.  I'm attempting to clean, but I'm not very successful.

Great! Just saw an alert that we're going to get more snow.  Good thing, I'm not going anywhere any time soon.  The snow plows should be out in full force, but I'm wondering how many shifts the city will be running and how many outside companies will be hired to help out. 

I love snow :( never get any here!! Although I had to deice like a millimetre of frost off my car this morning and it made me even later than normal, so it's probably for the best 

• Love 1