Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, JC123 said:

That's terrible about having a crash!!! I hope you weren't hurt too badly?! 

Not at all, just shaken up - was probably a poor idea to take a 13-hour overnight flight to Dublin, then decide to immediately rent a car for an hours-long drive with no rest in a foreign country the roads in which I had never driven before ?  Fortunately the driver who rear-ended me was as nice as he was, and I also opted for the full-coverage insurance so it was no worries until I got to Belfast, where I realized the currency was different, and also that when you travel overseas no matter how many times you warned your bank where you would be, they will immediately proceed to shut off all your cards lol  I really loved the time I spent overseas though, it was such an adventure and all the little ways things were different was so interesting.  I can't wait to go back ?

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Silverleaf said:

not all our history is gruesome. Some of it is funny. Like there is a little village near Nottingham called Gotham (pronounced go-them). Well some King or other was doing a grand tour of the country and the route was going to pass through Gotham so the inhabitants had to pay more tax to improve the road. They didn't want to pay more taxes so pretended they were all crazy so the route was changed to by-pass Gotham. And that folks is why Batman lives in Gotham city full of crazy people.

that is AWESOME ? I just love British history overall, it is so filled with stories and legends, and I have read so many of them (and so many poems - Wordsworth and Tennyson have my heart forever!) that even though I have spent very little time over there it seems like a place I belong to in a way.  American history the way it is often taught is just so dry - there are some amazing stories too for sure but you have to hunt for them more, IMO.

• Love 3

I just have to share:  I've been watching S10 on demand and my seven year old son has been joining me.  Last night he was imitating the kick line with the girls and attempted "sexy hips".  I laughed so hard I fell off my chair!

For the record, his favorite so far has been Holly ?

• Love 6

I don't get the purpose of being able to post an inquiry about the difficulty score in gymnastics if they're just going to reject it.

On 8/10/2016 at 9:45 PM, DCCFanInKy said:

T-4 days and counting until I change cable companies and will actually be able to watch MTT as it airs and not have to buy it on iTunes! *can y'all tell I'm excited*

The cable company I'm dumping decided that CMT belonged in a "sports package" that cost extra.  What I'll be getting is TV AND Internet for about $20 cheaper than I was getting them separately

WOOHOO! I HAVE CMT! Now all I have to do is figure out why I can't log into the cable company's "https://www.watchtveverywhere.com"

• Love 1
7 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I don't get the purpose of being able to post an inquiry about the difficulty score in gymnastics if they're just going to reject it.

Most of the time it is rejected, but the inquiry was what got Aly Raisman her bronze medal in beam at London.  They argued that her difficulty score was higher, that was enough to boost her score to tie with the current third place holder, and with the tiebreaker she got the edge.

There's been a lot of talk about the women at the Olympics this year.  Sadly, the only stories I remember (besides the drugs and the drug testing, the scandals, etc.) are the ones where whoever it is doing the talking/interviewing/etc. always talk about the women's looks, the drama/sob stories, or how a man helped the women get to where she is.  For the men, the focus is on how they train for their sports, their accomplishments, etc., but rarely (if ever) is it like that for the women.  I guess, to some people, a woman can't have the focus, the determination, the skill, the abilities, etc. to be a successful athlete. Nope.  I remember one guy over on Fox News wondering why women can't wear makeup while swimming or why they didn't take the time to put some on before going to the medal podium despite the fact that, in most cases, they're going straight from the water to the podium.  If I recall the story, he was so focused on looks and makeup (despite not knowing ANYTHING about makeup) that he didn't say anything about the athlete's skills, training, or abilities.  He sounded like a complete idiot.  I'm having some trouble putting into words my frustration with this type of thing.

Rant over.  Stepping off soapbox.  Going to bed.

9 hours ago, ClosetBachJunkie said:

Most of the time it is rejected, but the inquiry was what got Aly Raisman her bronze medal in beam at London.  They argued that her difficulty score was higher, that was enough to boost her score to tie with the current third place holder, and with the tiebreaker she got the edge.

Laurie's should have been accepted, I'm not sure why they knocked down her difficulty points. 

15 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

I didn't know she put forth an inquiry ... was this for Gold for balance beam?

I forgot how many points were between her and the gold winner but yeah, it seemed her difficulty had not been the full point percentage it should be. I think someone said it was a point below normal, but they rejected the inquiry. 

2 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I forgot how many points were between her and the gold winner but yeah, it seemed her difficulty had not been the full point percentage it should be. I think someone said it was a point below normal, but they rejected the inquiry. 

Interesting ... well good for her on silver.  I saw the winner's routine and those turns were sick.  I fall trying to do those turns on flat ground and she's seamlessly doing it on beam.  Sick.

• Love 1
Just now, tobeyoungagain said:

Interesting ... well good for her on silver.  I saw the winner's routine and those turns were sick.  I fall trying to do those turns on flat ground and she's seamlessly doing it on beam.  Sick.

Right! Everyone was upset because it was an easy routine and I'm like damn, it's not that easy to turn on a 4 inch wide board.

Same.  I LOVEEEE Laurie H but that girl who won - WOW.  She was absolutely incredible and I admit I teared up that she was the first in like, FOREVER, to bring a medal home to her country for gymnastics.  So special and really a cool routine. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

exactly ... it's very traditionally artistic with the turns... I'm happy she won

I love Simone but she wasn't as good as she usually is that day and she's been way overscored in Rio.

32 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I love Simone but she wasn't as good as she usually is that day and she's been way overscored in Rio.

yeah ... she is amazing but the fact that she is that good + the hype around her I'm sure also helped. Regardless she would have won anyways ... world champ 3x.  I wonder if she will come back for Tokyo?  She'll be 23 by then and she may just want to go out on top.  Gabby got another gold but I'm sure she can't help but feel so disappointed to not even make it to finals for all around and to not medal in beam.

Aly ... to be honest, I was never a fan of hers but I applaud that she managed to come back 4 years older and actually be stronger and more successful than she was 4 years ago.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, tobeyoungagain said:

yeah ... she is amazing but the fact that she is that good + the hype around her I'm sure also helped. Regardless she would have won anyways ... world champ 3x.  I wonder if she will come back for Tokyo?  She'll be 23 by then and she may just want to go out on top.  Gabby got another gold but I'm sure she can't help but feel so disappointed to not even make it to finals for all around and to not medal in beam.

Aly ... to be honest, I was never a fan of hers but I applaud that she managed to come back 4 years older and actually be stronger and more successful than she was 4 years ago.

I'm a huge Aly fan, I liked Wieber first and then when Aly won gold on floor and decided to come back I was all aboard the Aly train. I'm now on board the Laurie and Maddie train as well lol. Plus Aly shares a name with my dog lol

13 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I'm a huge Aly fan, I liked Wieber first and then when Aly won gold on floor and decided to come back I was all aboard the Aly train. I'm now on board the Laurie and Maddie train as well lol. Plus Aly shares a name with my dog lol

I miss Mckayla.  That girl was queen of vault.  It would have been interesting to pit her vaults with Simone's ... do you know if they have the same start value?

I miss Mckayla.  That girl was queen of vault.  It would have been interesting to pit her vaults with Simone's ... do you know if they have the same start value?

Everyone forgot about McKayla but she's currently trying to pursue singing? and her instagram comments are a scary place lol. I'm not sure of her start value but it looks like for the same vault Simone does McKayla got a 15.866 in London, the one she stuck in team finals scored 16.233 which Simone got a 15.966 in vault finals for Gold. I think the start value for the Amanar vault is the same no matter who does it.

I was really torn over the beam finals because I adore Laurie Hernandez, but Sanne Wevers is really breathtaking on beam, and it's very cool that she's now the only Dutch woman to medal in an Olympic individual gymnastics event. It's also only the Netherland's second medal in Olympic artistic gymnastics ever. She looked like she was on cloud nine when she won, and I was really happy for her.

I love Simone too, but she's obviously a different animal with more power in her tumbling, but less flexibility and artistry. I enjoyed Sanne's sister Lieke and their teammate Eythora Thorsdottir on floor for that same reason. Their routines had more dance elements with better execution than we see a lot of the time in "artistic" gymnastics now.

Edited by Oranaiche
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

Everyone forgot about McKayla but she's currently trying to pursue singing? and her instagram comments are a scary place lol. I'm not sure of her start value but it looks like for the same vault Simone does McKayla got a 15.866 in London, the one she stuck in team finals scored 16.233 which Simone got a 15.966 in vault finals for Gold. I think the start value for the Amanar vault is the same no matter who does it.

ah!  so McKayla would've beat Simone (different data points at different times I know but it shows she's at least competitive) ... whaaaah?  why would people forget about McKayla?  She literally was amazing and the best ... that team finals vault?  AHHHHMMMAAZZING

ah!  so McKayla would've beat Simone (different data points at different times I know but it shows she's at least competitive) ... whaaaah?  why would people forget about McKayla?  She literally was amazing and the best ... that team finals vault?  AHHHHMMMAAZZING

LOL take a gander at McKayla's instagram and see what she's been doing lately ;) it's a bit Kylieish.

LOL take a gander at McKayla's instagram and see what she's been doing lately ;) it's a bit Kylieish.

whhhaaat??  Kylie Jenner?  what's her instagram!  please!

omg just found it ... what happened to her??? She use to be SO cute!  Now she looks old and plastic surgeried.  And she definitely is trying to look or be like a kylie!  what happened to her???

8 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

whhhaaat??  Kylie Jenner?  what's her instagram!  please!

omg just found it ... what happened to her??? She use to be SO cute!  Now she looks old and plastic surgeried.  And she definitely is trying to look or be like a kylie!  what happened to her???

Yeah the comments are a scary place. Lots of disgusting guys. I think it's mostly makeup but idk if she had her boobs done too lol

7 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Yeah the comments are a scary place. Lots of disgusting guys. I think it's mostly makeup but idk if she had her boobs done too lol

she looks terrible!  and she was such a cute and pretty girl too.  For awhile people thought she looked like Victoria Beckham but now she definitely looks like she's trying to be a Khardashian.  What happened?  Wow 4 years changed a person!

I wonder how her bestie Kylie Ross is doing or if they're still friends

she looks terrible!  and she was such a cute and pretty girl too.  For awhile people thought she looked like Victoria Beckham but now she definitely looks like she's trying to be a Khardashian.  What happened?  Wow 4 years changed a person!

I wonder how her bestie Kylie Ross is doing or if they're still friends

I don't know if she still hangs out with Kyla, but she's going to UCLA to compete with the bruins, Jordyn is the assistant coach there

11 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

I don't know if she still hangs out with Kyla, but she's going to UCLA to compete with the bruins, Jordyn is the assistant coach there

oh wow - serious?  That's right Jordyn was a bit older than the others I think.  So McKayla passed on college?  I think she needs some guidance ... those pictures are frightful

15 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

oh wow - serious?  That's right Jordyn was a bit older than the others I think.  So McKayla passed on college?  I think she needs some guidance ... those pictures are frightful

Yeah, I thought she was maybe supposed to go after the olympics but it's possible she pulled a Jordyn and went Pro which means you can't compete in college gymnastics. 

53 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Yeah, I thought she was maybe supposed to go after the olympics but it's possible she pulled a Jordyn and went Pro which means you can't compete in college gymnastics. 

what are the benefits of going pro in gymnastics??  I get it for basketball and football but gymnastics?

16 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

what are the benefits of going pro in gymnastics??  I get it for basketball and football but gymnastics?

You get paid to endorse things, like I think Aly gets paid to endorse Ralph Lauren, she was paid to do DWTS. It's one or the other though for Gymnastics which totally sucks. They can either go pro or go to college. and compete for their team. I think it's the same thing with swimming too. Bridget Sloan was on the 2008 olympic team but she decided to go and compete with the University of Florida instead of going pro like Nastia and Shawn. I think Gabby endorses Nike too.

9 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

You get paid to endorse things, like I think Aly gets paid to endorse Ralph Lauren, she was paid to do DWTS. It's one or the other though for Gymnastics which totally sucks. They can either go pro or go to college. and compete for their team. I think it's the same thing with swimming too. Bridget Sloan was on the 2008 olympic team but she decided to go and compete with the University of Florida instead of going pro like Nastia and Shawn. I think Gabby endorses Nike too.

got it - thanks.  I didn't know you couldn't get endorsements if you weren't pro but I guess that makes sense.  in which case I would totally dump the amateur status and monetize my glory moment (cause it's all too fleeting). 

I think DWTS is kinda lame to be honest - yawn.

got it - thanks.  I didn't know you couldn't get endorsements if you weren't pro but I guess that makes sense.  in which case I would totally dump the amateur status and monetize my glory moment (cause it's all too fleeting). 

I think DWTS is kinda lame to be honest - yawn.

Yeah, from my understanding you can't get paid to do anything if you want to compete in college. 

I personally wouldn't do dancing with the stars lol but if I wanted to continue doing gymnastics and study I'd go to college instead of become pro. It hasn't really worked out for Jordyn, she can't practice with the team at any time. There was a little video on youtube about life after London for Jordyn.

26 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

Yeah, from my understanding you can't get paid to do anything if you want to compete in college. 

I personally wouldn't do dancing with the stars lol but if I wanted to continue doing gymnastics and study I'd go to college instead of become pro. It hasn't really worked out for Jordyn, she can't practice with the team at any time. There was a little video on youtube about life after London for Jordyn.

yeah that sucks ... especially when you're a champion and watching all the collegiate flipping around.  But at least she's an assistant coach ... that's helpful??  And she's in school.  I'd probably only do it if I were guaranteed a sponsorship

yeah that sucks ... especially when you're a champion and watching all the collegiate flipping around.  But at least she's an assistant coach ... that's helpful??  And she's in school.  I'd probably only do it if I were guaranteed a sponsorship

She has to practice by herself like really early or something because she can't interfere with the team's time. It's kind of sad, but she enjoys coaching so that's worked for her.

1 minute ago, heatherrrrz said:

She has to practice by herself like really early or something because she can't interfere with the team's time. It's kind of sad, but she enjoys coaching so that's worked for her.

that's weird ... she can't even practice at the same time...

Just now, tobeyoungagain said:

that's weird ... she can't even practice at the same time...

this explains it better

55 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

It has to do with the idea that said swimmers may have lied about being robbed at gunpoint by Brazilian police.

sheesh ... they're making a bigger deal than it needs to be.  I thought they said the robbers were dressed like cops not that they were cops.  oh who knows but hoping the US Embassy is helping out here

Filing a false report is a big deal, and Lochte is already changing his story.  So let me get this straight...they claim they were too drunk to remember what color their cab was but he was able to tell details of his "hold-up."  I wouldn't at all be surprised if he is lying and covering up something else, and if that's the case I hope they face consequences, REALLY sick of entitled athletes getting away with crap.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Filing a false report is a big deal, and Lochte is already changing his story.  So let me get this straight...they claim they were too drunk to remember what color their cab was but he was able to tell details of his "hold-up."  I wouldn't at all be surprised if he is lying and covering up something else, and if that's the case I hope they face consequences, REALLY sick of entitled athletes getting away with crap.

Just read more news and apparently I was wrong and Lochte acted like an immature entitled "American" ... this is why people from other countries hate us. Sigh.  I can't believe the Rio organizers advocated to give Lochte a break???  Not to get all political or racial but seriously?  If he were a no-name, poor person, would they still chuckle and call him a kid who just wants to have fun?

• Love 3

Oh yeah.  They lied.  The two pulled off the plane have come clean.  The truth is that the four of them went out partying, got drunk and vandalized a gas station bathroom and refused to pay for the damages. They made the story up about being robbed by cops to cover up everything else.

I'd say it's a pretty big deal when they are supposed to be there representing our country.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

Oh yeah.  They lied.  The two pulled off the plane have come clean.  The truth is that the four of them went out partying, got drunk and vandalized a gas station bathroom and refused to pay for the damages. They made the story up about being robbed by cops to cover up everything else.

I'd say it's a pretty big deal when they are supposed to be there representing our country.

I also think that's a stupidass reason to make up such an elaborate and crazy story!  I mean really!  I hope the US punishes these two.  It's embarrassing for our country especially at an event like the Olympics.  Seriously - as if Americans don't have a bad enough reputation abroad!  Between this and the stupid pompous haughty holier-than-thou finger wagging of Lily King, this has been an Olympics of ridiculousness!  (BTW, my favorite is all the stupid tweets applauding her for beating the Russians and how any day that we beat Russians is a good day etc etc.  Um people, Cold War is over -- move on)

• Love 1