Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

Who remembers the very FIRST time they saw the DCC perform (live or on tv)? Mine was the 1997 Thanksgiving halftime  Had it not been for that I'd probably have never gotten to love the DCC,  Look closely and you'll see a future DCC in the video (she hasn't been retired too long).

Edited by DCCFanInKy
found video link
21 minutes ago, DCCFanInKy said:

Who remembers the very FIRST time they saw the DCC perform (live or on tv)? Mine was the 1997 Thanksgiving halftime  Had it not been for that I'd probably have never gotten to love the DCC,  Look closely and you'll see a future DCC in the video (she hasn't been retired too long).

Good ol Cassie front and center haha!

13 hours ago, DCCFanInKy said:

It looks like Cassie.

I first remember seeing the DCC in the 70s when I was a kid. I wanted to be a DCC for Halloween, but my Mom wouldn't let me because the uniform was too skimpy.  LOL :)

• Love 1

According to Cassie 

1 hour ago, SopranoKris said:

It looks like Cassie.

I first remember seeing the DCC in the 70s when I was a kid. I wanted to be a DCC for Halloween, but my Mom wouldn't let me because the uniform was too skimpy.  LOL :)

According to Cass she's been in 16 of the past 20 on her instagram.

19 hours ago, dccfan37 said:

Good ol Cassie front and center haha!

Only if you knew who she was and at that time I had absolutely NO clue who any of the DCC or staff were.  The only reason I even tuned in was Reba.  That was right after I started listening to her.  I'm really surprised she only performed that song in her live show that next year (1998)

Edited by DCCFanInKy
clarity
52 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Sigh - gloomy rainy weather here and of course I don't have my umbrella ... what is it about rain that makes me wish I wasn't at work and instead won the lotto???

Same here. Lots of rain to hopefully negate the drought we're in. I at least have my rain coat lol. Rain does make you hate being at work, it makes me want to go home and curl up with a blanket, my dog, and netflix.

Well, I'm not sure if this is any indication on whether I'd like the movie, but when it comes to Christopher Guest I know 2 movies; Spinal Tap, which I absolutely loved, and Best in Show, which I didn't think was funny at all.

Hi All !

There is early movie that was written by Christopher Guest and Michael McKean called The Big Picture.  It’s not the non-script improvise that CG has cultivated since but it has his humor.  The film stars Kevin Bacon as a new in Hollywood screenwriter. The movie is just okay BUT Martin Short as Kevin’s agent is a performance you should all see.  Fast forward to all his scenes...it is performance worth watching.

Waiting for Guffman is by far my favorite but I have seen and love all his films.  I just wish he worked more!

1 hour ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

I loved both of those but did not like the Guest film, 'For Your Consideration'. It had some amusing parts, but I wasn't terribly impressed.

Also, For Your Consideration was originally going to be an HBO mini-series but I don’t know what happened.  It might have been better if the characters had been more developed.

• Love 1

I actually really loved Best In Show - I've never followed movies by director particularly, although I have vague impressions and associations with some of them.  May have to check out the Guffman movie on your recommendations though ?

• Love 4

So I have a question for you lovelies from Britain....if I was to take a trip over during the last two weeks of March, is there anyplace that would be really good to check out if I was desperate to see the bluebell woods?  I have a list of multiple places that have them, and I remember some of the places suggested to me when I mentioned them earlier (Kew Gardens, Canterbury, Dartmoor National Park, Micheldever Woods, the Isle of Skye in Scotland) but I wasn't sure if there is anyplace I should particularly plan to see around that time, or if you have thoughts on places I should check into.  I'm also hoping to visit the David Austin Gardens while I'm over....I've coveted those roses for a very long time and while I'm miles away from being able to have a garden of my own I'd love to visit them while I'm over ?

Two nights ago, I had a DCC dream in which I was a DCC twenty years ago (though somehow Tobie Percival made it onto that same squad, go figure) and was trying to come back.  I had a squad photo in which the photo was horribly tiny but the names were larger.  I mostly remember the picture and stretching though there was more that I don't remember.  And here I thought I was going to dream about creatures that shouldn't exist but people think they do.

• Love 1

If you don't do well in the cold you're better off staying in the South, it can be quite chilly in March still. Bring plenty of wet weather coats and warmish clothes, its highly likely to rain.  If you're definitely doing David Austin then I'd recommend going to Micheldever Woods because it's nearer (about a 2 and a half hour drive). Micheldever is about a 45 minute drive from Stonehenge so you could incorporate that. It's also about an hours drive from the New Forest which is where all the ponies and donkeys just roam about the woods and villages and plains. Loads and loads of well trodden woodland walks so you won't get lost. It's full of country pubs with real open fires, so glorious! Salisbury is one of the nearest big cities. It's super old with an amazing cathedral and good for exploring but it's quite expensive.  

Also if you like wildlife stuff there is Monkey World about an hour along from the New Forest - it's one of the largest ape rescue centres in the world, they do amazing work.  

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ByTor said:

I love dogs, so everybody told me I HAVE to see Best in Show, especially since I'm such a Spinal Tap nut.  I wanted so much to like it :(

Try "A Mighty Wind" (mock-u-mentary spoof on folk singers). You get the core 3 from Spinal Tap, plus some from Guffman & Best in Show. Another one of my favorite Christopher Guest films. Interesting to note, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer and Michael McKean wrote all the folk songs in the film, but the dialogue was all improvised. Very funny film and surprisingly good original songs (for folk songs, anyway).

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

Anyone have any fun stories from Thanksgiving or Black Friday?  I scored a 50inch tv for $250!  That was kind of exciting.

I also ate enough that I didn't have to eat the rest of the day!

I was second in line behind an Indian family of 5 at Coach and managed to get my sister's gift for $20 originally $89, sunglasses originally $139 for $70 and a new purse originally $229 for $115. Saw a man with a giant bag clearly buying up purses to resell on Ebay or in his own store. Clearance was an extra 40% off from the 50% off the whole store. Vera outlet was 50% off entire store plus an extra 20% so I got carry on luggage for Disney that only cost me $70 and used my christmas money to buy myself work out clothes to put under the tree lol.  

3 hours ago, QuiteContraryMoni said:

How do you know these things???? I freaking ADORE The Big Picture! I didn't know it was a Guest film and you're right, Short's performance is completely underrated! It struck me as SO Hollywood. Teri what's-her-last-name (Soapdish, Desperate Housewives, etc) is such a stereotypical starlet in it, and Micheal McKean's character is so sweet. Did you know that the woman who plays Kevin's love interest (was also in Pretty in Pink) kind of went nuts? Well, she did. So there's that.

I was/am a big movie lover and worked in the business.  I used to watch EVERYTHING. Not so much anymore.

I think I heard that about the supporting actress never working again but I don’t think I knew she lost her mind.  That’s sad.

I forgot Teri Hatcher was in it. I try to forget Teri Hatcher even exists so there’s that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

I was second in line behind an Indian family of 5 at Coach and managed to get my sister's gift for $20 originally $89, sunglasses originally $139 for $70 and a new purse originally $229 for $115. Saw a man with a giant bag clearly buying up purses to resell on Ebay or in his own store. Clearance was an extra 40% off from the 50% off the whole store. Vera outlet was 50% off entire store plus an extra 20% so I got carry on luggage for Disney that only cost me $70 and used my christmas money to buy myself work out clothes to put under the tree lol.  

wow!!  Great buys Heather!  Love that! 

I'm always impressed by people buying up purses and/or tv sets to resell on ebay or to friends.  They must make BUCKS!!!   (I'm assuming all this is legit and legal?)

5 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

I was/am a big movie lover and worked in the business.  I used to watch EVERYTHING. Not so much anymore.

I think I heard that about the supporting actress never working again but I don’t think I knew she lost her mind.  That’s sad.

I forgot Teri Hatcher was in it. I try to forget Teri Hatcher even exists so there’s that.

who was the actress who lost mind?

6 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

wow!!  Great buys Heather!  Love that! 

I'm always impressed by people buying up purses and/or tv sets to resell on ebay or to friends.  They must make BUCKS!!!   (I'm assuming all this is legit and legal?)

I know I'm on a Disney Dooney facebook group and they were saying that it's frowned upon in the group but perfectly legit to sell on ebay and they make quite a big profit by hiking up the prices.

On 12/1/2016 at 0:18 AM, BritFan said:

I always go to the Ashridge Estate in Hertfordshire as it is a short drive from me. I love seeing the bluebell woods!

I will look into this, and the link is fab, thank you!!

On 12/1/2016 at 1:06 AM, Silverleaf said:

Raindancer where will you be based? I would not want to be doing Dartmoor and Skye in the same trip for sure. Dartmoor in March will probably be pretty grim.

I was actually just going to look into what places might be best for bluebells those last couple weeks of March, and then head there....there are so many places I want to see in England I figure no matter where I go I'll find something wonderful.  I am hoping to finally meet my old boyfriend's father though....Elton died 10 years ago now, but his dad and I still keep in touch and I'd really love to see him in person.  He lives in Milton Keynes.

21 hours ago, JC123 said:

If you don't do well in the cold you're better off staying in the South, it can be quite chilly in March still. Bring plenty of wet weather coats and warmish clothes, its highly likely to rain.  If you're definitely doing David Austin then I'd recommend going to Micheldever Woods because it's nearer (about a 2 and a half hour drive). Micheldever is about a 45 minute drive from Stonehenge so you could incorporate that. It's also about an hours drive from the New Forest which is where all the ponies and donkeys just roam about the woods and villages and plains. Loads and loads of well trodden woodland walks so you won't get lost. It's full of country pubs with real open fires, so glorious! Salisbury is one of the nearest big cities. It's super old with an amazing cathedral and good for exploring but it's quite expensive.  

Also if you like wildlife stuff there is Monkey World about an hour along from the New Forest - it's one of the largest ape rescue centres in the world, they do amazing work.  

this is fantastic, thank you so much!  And I honestly wouldn't mind the cold (I'm originally from northern Michigan, where we teethe on icicles), but I don't want to miss the bluebells.  I'm so excited to see some of the beautiful places I've been reading about for so long!

• Love 1

If you're definitely coming in March, try and come as late as you can because quite often they don't make their full appearance til April! Micheldever woods is less than two hours drive from Milton Keynes ? You're gonna have the best time! ?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, heatherrrrz said:

I know I'm on a Disney Dooney facebook group and they were saying that it's frowned upon in the group but perfectly legit to sell on ebay and they make quite a big profit by hiking up the prices.

I really should learn how to use ebay ... I'm ALWAYS amongst the first in lines for black Friday sales and can easily buy 50inch tvs for cheap and then resell them.  I just lack the motivation and understanding of ebay...(yet I somehow find the motivation to travel over an hour to get good food lol).  Sigh ... guess no reselling for profit for me.!

Edited by tobeyoungagain
spelling
5 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

I really should learn how to use ebay ... I'm ALWAYS amongst the first in lines for black Friday sales and can easily buy 50inch tvs for cheap and then resell them.  I just lack the motivation and understanding of ebay...(yet I somehow find the motivation to travel over an hour to get good food lol).  Sigh ... guess no reselling for profit for me.!

That would cost you so much in shipping though lol

3 hours ago, tobeyoungagain said:

oh I thought buyer pays shipping?  yeah it would be atrocious!

Sometimes buyer pays, sometimes seller pays. I typically find if the seller is paying it's probably already included in the cost of your item, especially with the buy it now option. I've had a few lucky finds where shipping is included and I'm still getting a hella awesome buy! 

You all know about fantasy sports camps?  Where the (generally) guys get to meet, train, and play with former (and sometimes current) professional athletes -- mainly in baseball -- for a couple of days, and pretend they are in the major leagues?

Well we should ask the DCC organization to offer a 2-3 day training camp experience (for a price, of course) where past-their-DCC plausible fans like us can meet up and dance our hearts out for a couple of days, as we learn and perform choreography at The Star and on the field.

No jumpsplits required!

Edited by California Girl
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, California Girl said:

You all know about fantasy sports camps?  Where the (generally) guys get to meet, train, and play with former (and sometimes current) professional athletes -- mainly in baseball -- for a couple of days, and pretend they are in the major leagues?

Well we should ask the DCC organization to offer a 2-3 day training camp experience (for a price, of course) where past-their-DCC plausible fans like us can meet up and dance our hearts out for a couple of days, as we learn and perform choreography at The Star and on the field.

No jumpsplits required!

Agreed!! The Mets one requires you to be 30 though so I don't hit that mark yet.

Just now, tobeyoungagain said:

lucky you ... I can't even remember 30, it's been that long

4 and a half more years, I'm dreadddingggg it.

17 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

You'll be okay, I promise. I was freaked out, but it came and went last year and I'm no worse for the wear. I mean I might have cried once on my birthday but...then I was okay. Enjoy the easy hangovers though, around 28 they start to suck!!

• Love 1
Just now, spazette said:

You'll be okay, I promise. I was freaked out, but it came and went last year and I'm no worse for the wear. I mean I might have cried once on my birthday but...then I was okay. Enjoy the easy hangovers though, around 28 they start to suck!!

I've never been drunk in my life lol 

2 hours ago, spazette said:

I'm hating myself right now ... sigh

23 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Don’t.  I bet I am WAY older than you and all is well.  

thanks!  I just look back (and yeah I know you're not suppose to) and wonder where the time went?  When did the boys I knew become fathers with grey hair and big bellies?  when did my dad feel so frail?  when did my mom get so tired quickly?

sorry i'll stop now - off topic.  just feeling blue!

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

thanks!  I just look back (and yeah I know you're not suppose to) and wonder where the time went?  When did the boys I knew become fathers with grey hair and big bellies?  when did my dad feel so frail?  when did my mom get so tired quickly?

sorry i'll stop now - off topic.  just feeling blue!

Sending you love and good vibes ???

• Love 3
On 12/8/2016 at 10:59 AM, heatherrrrz said:

30s are great! You're more mature mentally, but yet still young physically. Once you hit 45, it all goes downhill physically. I can workout every day and can't get rid of the "softness", UGH! That clock is closer to 50 for me...sigh.

• Love 1