Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Kennedy Center Honors (CBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Adding to the, there had to be a better way to end the Barry Gibb tribute.  It was sort of a let down after the other performers.

Was also wondering where Patti Labelle was for the Dionne Warwick tribute.  I thought at one point she, Gladys and Patti were pretty close.  Not to say that other things couldn't have gotten in the way but I thought it was odd.

I also miss the biography portion of the show for each honoree though.  Some seemed more lacking than others.  I also didn't understand Gloria Estefan opening the show though it does seem as though the producers are trying to change things up probably to broaden the appeal of the show but this show has pretty much been consistent ratings-wise so I'm not sure if this helped in that regard.

• Like 3

I just watched the ceremony. As info, it's streaming on Paramount Plus.

Add me to the list of those who were disappointed by Ariana DuBose's performance. Poor ending to a very good show. I'm also not a fan of Michael Buble. His version of "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" was OK, I guess. Thank heavens for Ben Platt's well done rendition of "Nights on Broadway." 👏 Overall, I think Barry Gibb's segment was the weakest of the night, which was sad because his tribute was the main reason I tuned in.

Cynthia Erivo's "Alfie" was magnificent. I also was delighted to see The Spinners for "Then Came You", although I wasn't familiar with the woman who sang Dionne's lead. ("Country Diva" Mikey ???) She did a nice job with the song though.

I loved the entire Billy Crystal segment, including Bob Costas on Billy's love for the NY Yankees.  DeNiro was great! Every piece of the Crystal tribute hit the mark. 

Bravo Tituss Burgess!

I thought Queen Latifah's segment should also have included additional nods to her acting career. She's a fantastic Oscar and Emmy nominated actress, but all they mentioned was The Equalizer🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

I missed the tribute to Dionne but I liked the other tributes I saw.  I thought Arianna DuBose did the best she could with her performance and I don't think she's at fault for how lackluster it was.  Overall, I felt the production choices made for his tribute were underwhelming which is so unusual for this show.  I'm usually wholly impressed by the performances, especially the last one for each tribute. 

Everything from the arrangement, costuming, and choreography was just meh for me.

• Like 3

You know what else I missed seeing? Carolyn Kennedy talking about her father’s love for and support of the arts. Pablo Cassels at the White House. Look it up.

Maybe she was busy in Australia? But I’d hate to think the producer’s said, no thanks, Gloria Estefan and sexy dancers are opening the show.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, buttersister said:

You know what else I missed seeing? Carolyn Kennedy talking about her father’s love for and support of the arts. Pablo Cassels at the White House. Look it up.

Maybe she was busy in Australia? But I’d hate to think the producer’s said, no thanks, Gloria Estefan and sexy dancers are opening the show.

She hasn't hosted the show since 2012, so I'm pretty sure the producers didn't turn her down this year. 

I haven't watched the show yet, but I'm guessing I'll have something to say after I do.  I know you all are looking forward to that 😄

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I'm also not a fan of Michael Buble. His version of "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" was OK, I guess.

Ditto not being a Buble fan and it's kind of hard to top the version of this song by Al Green.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

I also missed Caroline Kennedy. I remember so well when Neil Diamond was honored and she said the words to "Sweet Caroline" when announcing the names of the honorees.

I really liked Dionne Warwick and Billy Crystals' segments. I thought Barry Gibb's was kind of meh. I kept hoping to see John Travolta show up! And the production number just ended so abruptly.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I watched my recording last night. Loved how they had Queen Latifah's family involved. I kept waiting for John Travolta to show up and dance. The Kennedy Center Honors are always a highlight of the year for me. 

• Like 5