Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Spiders in a Jar

(edited)

In the third-season finale, Mary must battle Elizabeth in order to secure her crown in Scotland. Meanwhile, Lola is accused of an awful crime and faces punishment; and Catherine finds a very different Charles has returned to France.

Promo:

Edited by PinkRibbons

I saw Leith dying the second he was happy. Writers have got to stop telegraphing character death that way. The only surprise was that it wasn't Martel that did it. On the other hand he might be saved, who knows? All we saw was him closing his eyes, and he's come back from pretty bad shape for another woman.

Lola's death made me wonder if the LIW contracts were suddenly all up? I get they want Mary to be alone in the struggle ahead, but I would like it if she had some female relationships now that she doesn't even have Catherine. I'm surprised the show would sacrifice such a key actress though. Anna was phenomenal especially in the scene with Elizabeth.

Elizabeth falling apart about Dudley was well done, especially how you see her desperately trying to throw her power away to a man only to realize she really can't trust anyone. I like how in contrast you see Mary playing Gideon like a fiddle. I don't like that relationship unless I interpret it as Mary simply toying with Gideon for political gain.

Bash is magical, okay whatever, he can go. James is weak but I like his relationship with Mary, the way he really seems to enjoy her. I wish I had seen John Knox trying to order Mary around as soon as he saw her. I mean, I really hope her answer included something along the lines of, "Do you see this blood I'm drenched in? I took a detour on my way here to murder a man with a piece of jewelry. I didn't even know him, just what he did to piss me off. Do you really think you impress me at all?"

As for our third queen, I loved Catherine showing Charles a glimpse of exactly who he's dealing with. How on earth does Catherine de'Medici's own son not know what she's capable of? I keep wondering if Catherine misses Mary and having a child with some sense.

All in all I'm astounded by the turnaround this season. Last season's sophomore slump was so abysmal I thought they'd never come out of it! If the show continues on like this I truly hope it keeps going to the very bitter end.

• Love 6

I do agree that the show has gotten much better in many ways. I read the other day that they are going to age Charles up to around 17-18 next year. We'll see how that plays out. I like Bash but the whole druid storyline bores me. So, with Lola dead and Narcisse in prison what will become of John? 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

Lola's death made me wonder if the LIW contracts were suddenly all up?... I'm surprised the show would sacrifice such a key actress though.

1 hour ago, Aliasscape said:

Did the entire cast want out of this show and they got rid of as many as they could? Goodness...

I suspect 3 seasons was way more than enough for most of these actors and they, especially Anna, wanted to move on to more substantial projects. They've probably gotten plenty of offers. I'm not sure how they're going to sustain a 4th season. I can barely watch as it is.

It might have been cheesy but could they not have given Lola and Narcisse a nice little send-off like Greer and the pepper count got? Same for Leith and Claude? The actors could still all have left the show. This was overkill in the most literal sense for me. 

Also felt Catherine threatening her own son was somewhat OOC. She made it sound like an "accident" is gonna befall him any day now. One of her most consistent character traits has been her love and protectiveness for her children. I would buy that she would put him in his place but not a power play assassination. No matter what. She believed Claude had killed her little siblings for the longest time and still loved her. Francis pulled some stunts with her and she didn`t stop loving him either.

This was simply too sad for me and all of the new characters arenn`t engaging to me so double thanks for brutally killing off Lola and Leith here, show. Meh. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

It might have been cheesy but could they not have given Lola and Narcisse a nice little send-off like Greer and the pepper count got? Same for Leith and Claude? The actors could still all have left the show. This was overkill in the most literal sense for me.

Yeah I agree. But I guess they wanted to keep Narcisse and up the stakes between Mary and Elizabeth.

4 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Also felt Catherine threatening her own son was somewhat OOC. She made it sound like an "accident" is gonna befall him any day now. One of her most consistent character traits has been her love and protectiveness for her children. I would buy that she would put him in his place but not a power play assassination. No matter what. She believed Claude had killed her little siblings for the longest time and still loved her. Francis pulled some stunts with her and she didn`t stop loving him either.

Makes me wonder if they'll introduce Henry (her third son) next season and her supposed historical favoritism of him.

Holy shit, I was not expecting that.  I thought that Elizabeth might give a last minute reprieve, thinking of herself in baby John's shoes with his mother being beheaded but nope.  I still hate that Lola thought that Mary would ever give that order - Mary's been very consistent in not wanting Elizabeth dead - but given Elizabeth's actions to take Mary's throne I sort of can see why she bought it.  Lola's goodbye to John and Narcisse in the snow was beautifully shot and now so sad thinking on it.  So the nanny is the only person that knows Lola got that fake letter from Mary, right?  I wonder how that will come to light next season.  

Was Leith definitely dead?  I mean, a gut wound is basically unsurvivable in those days, but did we see him expire? If not I expect shenanigans where Claude gets comfort from de Guise only for Leith to show back up.  

On June 20, 2016 at 10:44 PM, PinkRibbons said:

The only surprise was that it wasn't Martel that did it.

Could it have been his man or at least someone he paid off that did it though?  

17 hours ago, ulkis said:

Makes me wonder if they'll introduce Henry (her third son) next season and her supposed historical favoritism of him.

That was him at the end, wasn't it?  He and Catherine were very affectionate.  He was a cute moppet, though I wonder if they'll try to age him up at all.  

The way Mary's brother looks at her sometimes - I wonder if he wishes they weren't related.  Nice play with the priest though, Mary.  You definitely learned from Catherine.  And now we have a decent reason for her to marry Darnley.  She's pissed and wants Elizabeth's throne - Darnley's a good way to make her claim more credible.  

19 minutes ago, megsara said:

That was him at the end, wasn't it?  He and Catherine were very affectionate.  He was a cute moppet, though I wonder if they'll try to age him up at all.  

Oh, I'm not sure. Haven't seen the episode yet. But it sounds like it.

On 6/21/2016 at 1:18 PM, Aeryn13 said:

Catherine has also done quite horrible things to her children, so it does not seem that out of character to threaten him like that. Look at what she had done to Claude. I think she loves power, and, for her family, familial bonds and power are going to be linked, and she needed to do a little "tough love" with Charles to get him to remember that. Also, Charles just made a really bad strategic decision which he left her out of, so he ought to be smart enough to realize that he needs her.

I see we're getting some plaid in Scotland! I approve! I loved Mary showing backbone yet again, and now we have the death of her fictional LIW to spur on her battle with Liz!

OTOH, I hated Liz's decision to ask for marriage full knowing that she would be acquiescing her power in so doing because that was just foolish and predicated upon Lola's betrayal! Because: A) Lola would never have believed that request came from Mary and B) Lola being Liz's only confidante was too ridiculous from the start!

Now that there are some slots open in the cast, both Mary and Liz need some new LIWs who actually function as such. It's jarring that they just wander around alone all the time. Perhaps the CW can give them each a minstrel, who will function as an Elizabethan I-Pod.

• Love 1

Wow, I was not expecting that beheading -- even when Lola's head was literally on the chopping block, I thought that Elizabeth would reconsider or that Narcisse would miraculously be able to save her. That's the second time this week that I've been blindsided by a death on one of my TV shows.

• Love 1

Hey everyone please remember to be polite to one another.  If you read something that offends you or that you feel violates a PTV rule, take advantage of the Report button at the bottom of the post and give us a head's up.  If you read something that you just don't like but doesn't offend or violate any rules, take advantage of the Ignore button at the bottom of the post.  If you have any questions, please let me know.  Thanks