Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Mended

I wonder what became of the guy who had his face beaten in deservedly by Ben? It appears Ben wasn't punished. Good. Would like to see a conversation between Ben & Caleb about what happened when Ben is able to speak of it. Good job by Numrich conveying how raw it all remains for Ben without words. 

Nice moment with Ben & Anna. I wondered what Anna heard in camp of what happened. Soldier & spy Ben's new familiarity & experience with the sacrifices he asks others to make is moving his character in the right direction. Doubting himself & trying to resign rang true before very reluctantly persevering after GW's pep talk & refusal to accept his resignation. Caleb in the background during the planning meeting was a riot. 

I am sorry for Hewlett & wish him well quitting Anna. What Hewlett did & did not hear from Anna will make it easier for him to get on with things eventually. Best outcome I could hope for the character at this point as Hewlett & Anna are truly done due to how she played him for far too long. I would say these two losers deserve each other in reference to Abe & Anna, but Abe is a married man just like Hewlett said & Anna away from Abe is pretty okay. 

Looking forward to the Arnold outing. Thanks Abigail & Cicero. Peggy's mom cracked me up with her "expected guest" snark regarding the accelerated wedding. 

Anna "infiltrates" New York by admitting to Hewlett that she and Abe are both spies, then going to see Abigail and telling her she doesn't need to know anything if she doesn't want to tell her. At least we got to see Robert Rogers.

Also, this show is a real advertisement for marriage.

• Love 3

OK. I'm confused. I guess I'm just not remembering. What is the Robert Rogers/ Philomena connection?

And how did Abe convince Simcoe that Rogers is Culper?

I feel like I fell asleep somewhere.

11 hours ago, Ina123 said:

OK. I'm confused. I guess I'm just not remembering. What is the Robert Rogers/ Philomena connection?

And how did Abe convince Simcoe that Rogers is Culper?

I feel like I fell asleep somewhere.

They actually had a little flashback of Rogers and Philomena just to clarify the connection. Apparently, they met at a dinner. Rogers went to see her in the episode last night because she was the one Andre was supposedly dtaing.

I think Simcoe believed Abe's story because he showed Simcoe the spy cellar.

I think Philomena and Rogers met informally when Andre was both dating Philomena and working with Rogers as the then-head of the Queen's Rangers.

I generally liked the episode. But why would Abigail have any sort of loyalty to Anna at this point over Andre? The English freed her from slavery and Andre has treated her well, whereas Anna owned her...I know Anna took care of Cicero briefly, but so what? Andre brought them back together. I guess Abigail's quick statement about life decisions was supposed to explain it, but it wasn't sufficient explanation for me.

• Love 1

I admit I don't know all the details about what Arnold did, only that he was a traitor that betrayed his country.  Was this all he did?  A letter offering to become a spy/traitor in exchange for money, and just in referencing his experience and court-marshal the British figured out on their own the location of Washington and tried to attack him?  Did Arnold actually do anything else?  Frankly, I think it would be hilarious if that's all Arnold actually did.

1 hour ago, Hanahope said:

I admit I don't know all the details about what Arnold did, only that he was a traitor that betrayed his country.  Was this all he did?  A letter offering to become a spy/traitor in exchange for money, and just in referencing his experience and court-marshal the British figured out on their own the location of Washington and tried to attack him?  Did Arnold actually do anything else?  Frankly, I think it would be hilarious if that's all Arnold actually did.

In the show, the timeline appears greatly speeded up. Historically, Arnold and the British negotiated for over a year. They didn't trust him. He wasn't happy with their offers of compensation. Throughout this time, he fed them intelligence on troop movements and strength, fortifications, etc. This, we've pretty much already seen. What we have yet to see, and was the big intel and military prize -- I'll put in the historical spoilers thread.

(edited)

Is anyone else as bored as I am with this show?  Many here seem to think this is the last season, but honestly, even if it doesn't get cancelled, I'm not sure if I would be back.   I find myself alternately 1) confused by what is going on, or 2) not caring.  I truly couldn't care less what happens to more than 50% of these characters, and in my experience, that's not a good sign when it comes to the desire to watch a show.  I find it a chore most of the time.  There are snippets of brilliance and things I find interesting, but that's few and far between.  This is the exact same way I felt about "Quantico" and I have resolved to be strong and not watch when that stinkfest returns in the fall.

Above all, I just don't think I can take any more of Simcoe and his "I HAVE THE POWERRRRRRRR" attitude.  I know the historical Simcoe goes on to great renown in Canada, but if this version died yesterday, it wouldn't be soon enough.  As said upthread, why doesn't Mary just poison him?

Edited by blackwing
2 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Hanahope, if you don't want to know what Arnold's big OOPS is before they get to it, then wait. Otherwise, a quick Bing search of his name will spill the beans. He ain't done nuthin' yet!

I think the disclosure of where the camp was located was inadvertent unless he meant for Clinton to read between the lines.

• Love 1

I was reading up on Benedict Arnold and John Andre today (and Peggy Shippen) - on Wikipedia. Pretty interesting stuff, actually. Arnold is a pretty interesting character and the accomplishments in his life, even before he joined the military.

Benedict Arnold - Wikipedia

John Andre - Wikipedia

I think I mentioned it before, but I didn't realize how far north into the future Canada the various skirmishes/attacks went. Who knew?

Also, if I understand correctly,

Spoiler

Arnold took over command at West Point - a main strategic military base for the Continential Army. The moment he arrived, he started telling the soldiers to do certains things that weakened the Fort's defensives. The idea being when the British arrived, they could easily take over the Fort. If the American's lost the Fort, New England would be completely cut off from the rest of the Contintental Army plus lose whatever military equipment they had there. So pretty significant stuff. And pretty fascinating.

You gotta feel bad for the soldiers being told to do certain things that they KNEW was weakening the Fort, but they had no choice, because otherwise they could be court-martialed, brought up on other charges for disobeying General Arnold.

I'm having a lot of fun with this season. I'm glad someone found out about Arnold, although I don't think Washington is going to buy it at this point. 

I also liked how they figured out where the camp was and actually worked the intel in a timely manner this time. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The Simcoe and Setauket was just ridiculous -- such a bad cartoon, at this point. Can't stand. And Richard...I keep thinking he will redeem himself, then die. Looks like he's set to remain Dick Woodhull, though.

Did think Anna's scenes with Ben, Hewlett, and Abigail were high points. Adore the sibling chemistry between Ben and Anna -- they're the two most alike of the Setauket crew, tbh. "Sometimes...you ask too much of people." "I know." The scene with Hewlett was pretty poignant. Certainly risky. I feel it was cathartic for both, and am fine with that being their goodbye. Anna and Abigail talking guys was a sweet reminder that they grew up "together," but it still seems a bit of a stretch motivation-wise for Abigail giving up Arnold. Then, again, she can't really know exactly where that would lead for Andre? And if she is truly disillusioned by him, she may also wonder at his motivations towards her and Cicero?

Robert Townsend once again proves he's THE man on the inside. He and Abe make interesting foils. Punching Caleb was perfect.

Benedict Arnold's smug mug was obnoxious, as usual, but we are on our way to West Point.

They did a good job throughout the episode -- with the cutting of the scenes of the generals and intelligence chiefs -- of stressing the two sides' parallel natures. There were some great moments, but there was so much going on, I felt it lost some of the sense of anticipation/suspense created in quite a few earlier episodes. The battle kind of felt shoehorned in. 

Edited by Kabota
  • Love 3
(edited)

pGood episode, we got to see everyone.  Glad Townsend was able to warn Abe/Washington before it was too late.  Wounded bear Simcoe is gonna tear up the town and Richard is given him a list.  I like Abe (though he is stupid right now) but he cannot take on Simcoe.  I was surprised Peggy decided to marry Benedict so quickly without confirming Andre was cheating on her.    

At first I wondered  how Simcoe could do the things he does but Andre is far away, Hewlett's soldiers and the people of the town too afraid.

I can see how this can happen at this time as the people were so isolated and the British were everywhere.

Anyone else have trouble typing on this site?

Edited by SharonH58
  • Love 1
(edited)

Am I the only one who thinks Anna should have been able to marry Maj. Hewlett?  I think he's the best character on the show: he has scruples, does things by the book, is kind, intelligent and genuine.  I truly feel sorry for him and I really don't get Anna's attraction to Abe.  Ben, on the other hand...

Edited by Demelza
wanted to add some info
  • Love 4

I would also like to add that I think Samuel Roukin does an absolute bang-up job as Simcoe!  It's the first time in my life (and trust me, I'm old) I actually like the villain!  Well, I wouldn't exactly say "like," but I just find him fabulous to watch.

• Love 7

I would also like to add that I think Samuel Roukin does an absolute bang-up job as Simcoe!  It's the first time in my life (and trust me, I'm old) I actually like the villain!  Well, I wouldn't exactly say "like," but I just find him fabulous to watch.

I feel the same way! NutmegsDad and I both feel that SR does a fantastic job portraying a psycho. In fact, one of my favorite lines from this series has to be the line he uttered when he found Mary in the bath (after she had shot him), "Aren't you going to ask how I am?" Too funny!  I'm wondering how his story will end, given that the real Simcoe had a lake in Canada named after him (so he couldn't have been that bad). He's no longer interested in Anna, so maybe he'll fall for Mary? (Run, Mary, run, if so....)

• Love 1
On 2016-06-22 at 2:14 PM, NutmegsMom said:

I'm wondering how his story will end, given that the real Simcoe had a lake in Canada named after him (so he couldn't have been that bad).

A lake, a county, a city, an island, multiple streets, has a statue in downtown TO, schools, a University Hall, a Civic Holiday in his honour (first weekend in August). He was instrumental in estabishing in Canada "the courts of law, trial by jury, English common law, freehold land tenure, and the abolition of slavery."

So I doubt the show will kill him off.. you never know though. :')

Wounded bear Simcoe is gonna tear up the town and Richard is given him a list.

The only one I want Simcoe to "tear up" is Richard Sr. That person betrayed his townspeople and family over and over again. Again, great actor, hate the character.

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:03 AM, ComeWhatMay said:

Peggy's mom cracked me up with her "expected guest" snark regarding the accelerated wedding. 

I enjoyed that too.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, blackwing said:

Above all, I just don't think I can take any more of Simcoe and his "I HAVE THE POWERRRRRRRR" attitude.  I know the historical Simcoe goes on to great renown in Canada, but if this version died yesterday, it wouldn't be soon enough.  As said upthread, why doesn't Mary just poison him?

Please, Mary, please!

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:02 PM, Kabota said:

Robert Townsend once again proves he's THE man on the inside. He and Abe make interesting foils. Punching Caleb was perfect.

Robert Townsend's canniness just shows how dimwitted Abe is. And I'm glad Townsend isn't *too* Quaker.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 1:42 AM, Demelza said:

Am I the only one who thinks Anna should have been able to marry Maj. Hewlett?  I think he's the best character on the show: he has scruples, does things by the book, is kind, intelligent and genuine.  I truly feel sorry for him and I really don't get Anna's attraction to Abe.  Ben, on the other hand...

Me too. It's just that, well, he was on the wrong side. I don't get her shaking her head in response to his "did you ever love me?" Because I think she did love him. She started out by playing him and then fell for real, at least a little.

Edited by LilJen